Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 120  All

Author Topic: M50: A Song Of Ice And Fire Mafia - Town Wins!  (Read 335715 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
Re: M50: A Song Of Ice And Fire Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #450 on: September 14, 2014, 06:59:54 pm »

Do you want to make us houseless because you think it's the best thing to do for town, or for another reason?

Sorry, didn't get to this yet.

This is a fantastic and astute question, silverspawn.  Kudos.

This could absolutely be a thing that benefits a particular player (or players).  In this case, not me.  But you are right we should think about that.

If there are roles that relate to houses/house powers, it's possible there are powers that relate to being unhoused.

What? You suggested to unhouse everybody just because? Without thinking the implications of it?

What the heck are you doing?

Who says I didn't think about the implications?  I'm saying that it's great SS thought about implications.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 14, 2014, 07:03:29 pm »

PPE 5

So what, we just let him go on his merry way of spreading confusion and acting against town's best interests?

How do you guys ever catch him using this sort of logic?

"let him"?  Are you suggestions sanctions?  Or that he be lynched?

I'll restate the heart of my question. If you mantain that usual scumtells don't apply to determine whether Ash is scum or not, what other heuristic do you use to tell scum!Ash from town!Ash? Eenie meenie miney mo?

So what, we just let him go on his merry way of spreading confusion and acting against town's best interests?

Logic is how scum wins games. Logic works with available information. Guess who has more every time?

Inference and detection are much more subtle and difficult, yet more effective because scum has no means of directly confounding it. In fact, town is better equipped to create a basis for leveraging which is exactly what ash is up to here. You call it spreading confusion but I see you choosing to be confused, you say he is acting against town yet I see him forging a weapon with what he has, thus equipping town.

My brain is leaking through my ear canal right now. Could you try to explain, with simple words, what Ash is trying to do here? Metaphors evade me, and we seem to be using the words "logic", "inference" and "detection" differently.

Also, I thought that "choosing to be confused" was Awaclus' line.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 14, 2014, 07:06:28 pm »

PPE 5

I'll restate the heart of my question. If you mantain that usual scumtells don't apply to determine whether Ash is scum or not, what other heuristic do you use to tell scum!Ash from town!Ash? Eenie meenie miney mo?

That's what reads are for.  If you think he's scum, vote for him. 

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 14, 2014, 07:11:02 pm »

PPE 5

Logic is how scum wins games. Logic works with available information. Guess who has more every time?

Inference and detection are much more subtle and difficult, yet more effective because scum has no means of directly confounding it. In fact, town is better equipped to create a basis for leveraging which is exactly what ash is up to here. You call it spreading confusion but I see you choosing to be confused, you say he is acting against town yet I see him forging a weapon with what he has, thus equipping town.

My brain is leaking through my ear canal right now. Could you try to explain, with simple words, what Ash is trying to do here? Metaphors evade me, and we seem to be using the words "logic", "inference" and "detection" differently.

Also, I thought that "choosing to be confused" was Awaclus' line.

WW has it. Do you think ash is scum? I don't and I don't because scum ash would not do this today (maybe next game). In fact, I think ash has positioned himself well as town. You seem to think otherwise but refuse to vote towards it because you are using logic that says scum does confusing and anti town things. Or, you are scum and you don't want to be seen as the the one who pushed a wagon on a town flip especially when that town called you out early. You see, by this inference I doubt much that you are scum either. Would you like to argue with that conclusion as well?
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 14, 2014, 07:11:34 pm »

It is implied in the opening post that the Greyjoys have bought the loyalty of some of the inhabitants of Westeros; maybe that's the case, maybe it isn't, but it is an easy explanation of who scum is. You'll notice that none of the revealed characters are actually members of the Houses they start in. That line of thinking you are following is misplaced, in my opinion.

Who says I didn't think about the implications?  I'm saying that it's great SS thought about implications.

It is expected from anyone that is discussing the setup to be thinking about the implications, so I don't know what is so great about it.

You have shown many times in here that you haven't read the setup very well, so I don't know why I should suddenly assume that you've started thinking about the implications, especially when apparently you are giving free town points for doing so, all of a sudden.

PPE:

What reads? You just said that Ash being antitown and not making sense is not a scumtell. What am I supposed to base my read on, then?

PPE 1
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 14, 2014, 07:15:13 pm »

the thing about mafia is, although scum and town play is different, the most important (?) goal of both is the same: look towny. you absolutely want to look towny as town, and you absolutely want to look towny as scum. if we think ash is town now, it is, in a way, good play from him, and the fact that I have a strong townread on Teproc aswell is also good. Whether or not what he is saying makes sense might be debatable, but, unless one of them is actually scum, what he did was beneficial for town.

though I'm still not sure about the pacovf thing.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 14, 2014, 07:15:38 pm »

WW has it. Do you think ash is scum? I don't and I don't because scum ash would not do this today (maybe next game). In fact, I think ash has positioned himself well as town. You seem to think otherwise but refuse to vote towards it because you are using logic that says scum does confusing and anti town things. Or, you are scum and you don't want to be seen as the the one who pushed a wagon on a town flip especially when that town called you out early. You see, by this inference I doubt much that you are scum either. Would you like to argue with that conclusion as well?

Yes, I very much would. I don't understand how you infer that my scuminess is doubtful, because it doesn't follow from your argument, which points to the opposite. If I read it correctly, which at this point, with half my brain outside my skull, I don't know.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 14, 2014, 07:22:48 pm »

actually, this kind of play is inspiring, the more I think about it.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 14, 2014, 07:23:29 pm »

Okay... I think this is town ash.

I'm not sure whether I agree with ash about pacovf. But I think pacovf has not reacted in a super townie way. It's a bit hard to tell though, since he's a newbie--to me, at least.

I guess I'll Vote: Pacovf, so I am on record as doing something.

As far as all the House stuff goes, we are unfortunately talking about it too much probably. I'm just not sure what we can actually do to clearly help town. I'll defer to WW on the matter of revealing our House PR. If he wants to, I understand.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 14, 2014, 07:29:13 pm »

But I think pacovf has not reacted in a super townie way.

Out of curiosity: I haven't reacted in a super townie way, or I have reacted in a scummy way?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 14, 2014, 07:31:49 pm »

Out of curiosity: I haven't reacted in a super townie way, or I have reacted in a scummy way?

They are the same thing.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 14, 2014, 07:33:52 pm »

Hum, no? The first one includes null.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 14, 2014, 07:35:11 pm »

You have shown many times in here that you haven't read the setup very well, so I don't know why I should suddenly assume that you've started thinking about the implications, especially when apparently you are giving free town points for doing so, all of a sudden.

Have I shown that, though?  And if I've shown that, does that mean it's true?

I've shown why I think you are scum.  Does that mean it's true?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 14, 2014, 07:37:35 pm »

They are the same thing.

they are the same thing. why don't you get it?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 14, 2014, 07:38:55 pm »

Have I shown that, though?  And if I've shown that, does that mean it's true?

I've shown why I think you are scum.  Does that mean it's true?

The two are indeed linked. Half your arguments relied on the setup, and were proven false. So either you didn't understand the setup and built a case on me based on that misunderstanding, or you pretended not to understand the setup and built so that you could build a case against me.

Which one do you prefer?

PPE 1

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: September 14, 2014, 07:40:05 pm »

or you pretended not to understand the setup * so that you could build a case against me.

Fixed

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 14, 2014, 08:04:14 pm »

It is implied in the opening post that the Greyjoys have bought the loyalty of some of the inhabitants of Westeros; maybe that's the case, maybe it isn't, but it is an easy explanation of who scum is. You'll notice that none of the revealed characters are actually members of the Houses they start in. That line of thinking you are following is misplaced, in my opinion.

It is expected from anyone that is discussing the setup to be thinking about the implications, so I don't know what is so great about it.

PPE:

What reads? You just said that Ash being antitown and not making sense is not a scumtell. What am I supposed to base my read on, then?

PPE 1

Something better.  Look for alignment-driven motivations in what he's doing.  What's the benefit of not making sense as scum?  To frustrate you into lynching him?  That only real argument would be that he's playing the "Ash is antitown and confusing as town" card to trick those of us that have played with him before into assuming he's town.  That's possible, but we'll just have to figure out which one it is.  Sometimes you can get a read on whether someone is fabricating their meta or genuinely acting like it. 

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 14, 2014, 08:10:39 pm »

Ok, that makes a bit more sense. I'll think about it.

A lot more WIFOM/meta considerations than I altogether like, though. I've never played with him before, after all.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 14, 2014, 08:39:09 pm »

For those wanted an expanded case on pacovf, here you go.

There is an unavoidable physical and neurological difference in the way one reacts to receiving their role PM, dependent on the alignment contained therein.  Even the most self-aware are unable to avoid this; they can only attempt to conceal it.  This is not new information.

I believe the “newness” of the scum player (as defined by experience playing the game, especially on a forum) has a great effect on this phenomenon.  The newer scum players can be jumpier when under suspicion or more excited from the start of the game.  There are of course other signs, but these two are relevant today.

In estimating pacovf’s alignment, I had the unique opportunity to see his very first moments of the game during night zero without needing to be scum partners with him due to the neighborhood mechanic of this setup.  As mentioned, it is my opinion that his opening posts were that of an overly-excited player, most likely due to rolling scum.  I make this statement based on the cadence and punctuation choices made in those posts, which are mirrored in his first posts of the game.  They are staccato in nature, with short bursts separated not with periods but with commas, to a point of run-on sentences.  Compare that with his pre-game posts, especially when he explains his availability, and there is a striking difference.  So we have a pre-alignment sample and post-alignment sample, with significant change.  Upon arriving in the QT, the absolute first impression I had from pacovf’s posts was “that’s a super excited newbie scum.”  Upon arriving at the opened game thread, it was solidified.

This leads into his turn to silence after I intimated that I had developed opinions.  I never said they were opinions of him (or Teproc), and yet he stopped talking.  How can one who is so excited as to post in such a manner previously then stop completely?  I say it was him being jumpy due to alignment.  One cannot know if there are N0 powers to worry about.  Perhaps he thought I had taken action already?

On a separate note, I made much of his Lannister assumptions.  It is a fair statement to say that my explanation made it seem like I was not thinking of the line in our own QT explaining that to empower ourselves, Lannister as a house would need to cease to exist.  However, my point was that pacovf’s concern for the Lannisters, and their power, was too great for someone who was supposedly unaware of any of that House’s members or its power.  As someone who I believe is knowledgeable of the series, that he would defend the Lannisters against the Starks also struck me as incongruous with a town alignment, I think.  Was he just being thorough in examining the relative strength of our house power against imagined other powers?  That’s a weak defense, in my eyes.

Then there is his assumption, clearly stated in the QT, that scum are or will attempt to be in all houses.  “Thinking like scum” is a standard scum tell, so much so that it is generally disregarded.  Acting like scum, though, is the true tell to be ignored.  I say this because his reasoning for mentioning this idea wasn’t in an attempt to protect town, such as “you know, I think scum might do X so we should think about doing Y.”  I think he was being honest, in that, as scum, he thought it was best for his faction.

There’s the scum QT joke, which by itself is a bit scummy.  Most agree, including pacovf himself.

This is the gist of my case on pacovf, BEFORE having presented any of this in thread.  In fact, this is basically just off the QT.  Since the game started, and I’ve put pressure on pacovf via vote/case/argument, I believe his actions and reactions have been truly scummy, as well.  Briefly:

--he call the case ridiculous, without merit, impossible to respond to, etc.  This is a standard scum response.  It’s a non-defense.
--he’s been at least slightly annoyed to exasperated at multiple points during the day, too much so.  Exasperation can often be a town tell, but not this type.
--he’s tried to deflect and/or change the subject multiple times instead of just closing the topic with a response.  An analogy would be if I asked Eevee if the police station is on Main Street and he tells me the pub is on Front Street.  Why didn’t Eevee want to tell me where the police station was?

I look forward to being super annoyed that I took the time to write all of this up, just to be ignored by the majority.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 14, 2014, 08:41:04 pm »

You say annoyed when what I heard was politely disagree.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 14, 2014, 08:44:12 pm »

And here I was thinking I could go to sleep. Give me a moment.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 14, 2014, 09:06:24 pm »

You say annoyed when what I heard was politely disagree.

And by annoyed I meant ignored.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 14, 2014, 09:07:05 pm »

Ash you really think pacovf would be this far extended as scum?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 14, 2014, 09:10:45 pm »

PPE 2

For those wanted an expanded case on pacovf, here you go.

There is an unavoidable physical and neurological difference in the way one reacts to receiving their role PM, dependent on the alignment contained therein.  Even the most self-aware are unable to avoid this; they can only attempt to conceal it.  This is not new information.

I believe the “newness” of the scum player (as defined by experience playing the game, especially on a forum) has a great effect on this phenomenon.  The newer scum players can be jumpier when under suspicion or more excited from the start of the game.  There are of course other signs, but these two are relevant today.

Not exactly sure why you need so much introduction, but huh cool.

In estimating pacovf’s alignment, I had the unique opportunity to see his very first moments of the game during night zero without needing to be scum partners with him due to the neighborhood mechanic of this setup.  As mentioned, it is my opinion that his opening posts were that of an overly-excited player, most likely due to rolling scum.  I make this statement based on the cadence and punctuation choices made in those posts, which are mirrored in his first posts of the game.  They are staccato in nature, with short bursts separated not with periods but with commas, to a point of run-on sentences.  Compare that with his pre-game posts, especially when he explains his availability, and there is a striking difference.  So we have a pre-alignment sample and post-alignment sample, with significant change.  Upon arriving in the QT, the absolute first impression I had from pacovf’s posts was “that’s a super excited newbie scum.”  Upon arriving at the opened game thread, it was solidified.

This is genuinely funny, so thanks for that. For the rest, this is purely a meta thing. Go read Newbie Mafia, where I act exactly the same way, and where I was town.

This leads into his turn to silence after I intimated that I had developed opinions.  I never said they were opinions of him (or Teproc), and yet he stopped talking.  How can one who is so excited as to post in such a manner previously then stop completely?  I say it was him being jumpy due to alignment.  One cannot know if there are N0 powers to worry about.  Perhaps he thought I had taken action already?

I have answered to this already... You posted your "I have thoughts" comment after I stopped discussing the setup with Teproc, not the other way around. And your comment made clear that you didn't want to share those thoughts, so I didn't answer.

Teproc had been roughly just as active as I had been in the QT, and he didn't post anything after your comment either. Yet you don't find him scummy for it.

On a separate note, I made much of his Lannister assumptions.  It is a fair statement to say that my explanation made it seem like I was not thinking of the line in our own QT explaining that to empower ourselves, Lannister as a house would need to cease to exist.  However, my point was that pacovf’s concern for the Lannisters, and their power, was too great for someone who was supposedly unaware of any of that House’s members or its power.  As someone who I believe is knowledgeable of the series, that he would defend the Lannisters against the Starks also struck me as incongruous with a town alignment, I think.  Was he just being thorough in examining the relative strength of our house power against imagined other powers?  That’s a weak defense, in my eyes.

Sorry, but this is bull. For starters, your original point is:

You starts off with an argument that we should not actively empower our house because House Lannister also has a power.  Why House Lannister?  How would we know the Lannisters were in the game?  Why Lannister's power and not Baratheon or some other big name?  Specifically, Lannister.  Clearly, there is also scum in Lannister.

So don't pretend this wasn't a scumslip argument. Try to disguise it as much as you want now, this is what it was. As for what you are accusing me of right now, Witherweaver did the same thing a couple of pages ago, and I responded to it then.

Then there is his assumption, clearly stated in the QT, that scum are or will attempt to be in all houses.  “Thinking like scum” is a standard scum tell, so much so that it is generally disregarded.  Acting like scum, though, is the true tell to be ignored.  I say this because his reasoning for mentioning this idea wasn’t in an attempt to protect town, such as “you know, I think scum might do X so we should think about doing Y.”  I think he was being honest, in that, as scum, he thought it was best for his faction.

I've said it after you first accused me, I'll say it again now. Most people (XP, Ichi, Robz, and Teproc in the quicktopic: that's everybody but Hydrad and WW, before you posted your case) reached the same conclusion than me, that scum either already was, or would soon get, in all the Houses. Why it's a scumtell for me, but not for everybody else?

There’s the scum QT joke, which by itself is a bit scummy.  Most agree, including pacovf himself.

No, I've never said that I agree. I've said it's your only argument that can't be proven wrong. That doesn't mean I think it is a good one, far from it.

This is the gist of my case on pacovf, BEFORE having presented any of this in thread.  In fact, this is basically just off the QT. Since the game started, and I’ve put pressure on pacovf via vote/case/argument, I believe his actions and reactions have been truly scummy, as well.  Briefly:

--he call the case ridiculous, without merit, impossible to respond to, etc.  This is a standard scum response.  It’s a non-defense.

I've already responded to your case, briefly after you posted it. In fact, I am only restating my response from then now. It is only when you decided that you would stop making sense that I started saying those things.

--he’s been at least slightly annoyed to exasperated at multiple points during the day, too much so.  Exasperation can often be a town tell, but not this type.

Yes, I find this exasperating. I've already addressed this case, and said why I think it is a bad one. Yet you keep bringing it up, not changing a iota, despite parts of it being incoherent. You are, for example, forgetting your "Pacovf must have asked about who was in the quicktopic" and "people suggesting roles are unblockable are scummy" arguments, which were both refuted on the spot. I have a set amount of patience for dealing with nonsensical cases, and it's been running dry for a while now.

I've also been annoyed (and stated so in the quicktopic) by the fact that, despite your initial case being solely based on the QT, and hence unverifiable, and despite Teproc, the other person in the QT, vehemently disagreeing with you, some people were still more than willing to consider your case, which was in essence a your-word-against-mine case.

--he’s tried to deflect and/or change the subject multiple times instead of just closing the topic with a response.  An analogy would be if I asked Eevee if the police station is on Main Street and he tells me the pub is on Front Street.  Why didn’t Eevee want to tell me where the police station was?

Never ever done this. I have always addressed your points, no matter how bad I thought they were. The only thing I've refused to do was to repeat what I had already said beforehand.

This, by the way, is the last time I repeat my original defense to your original case.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 14, 2014, 09:13:23 pm »

Honestly the over-reiteration on how bad and garbage Ash's case is makes me lean more scum on Pacovf.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 120  All

Page created in 0.853 seconds with 20 queries.