Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What kind of music do you listen while gaming?  (Read 2788 times)

CosPetia

• View Profile
    • War Cabinet fan
What kind of music do you listen while gaming?
« on: August 27, 2014, 09:55:31 am »

Hi guys,

I`m new here and I`m looking for new friends. That is why I would like to ask you what is the most inspiring music for you while gaming. I like to listen Nightwish and especially the song called Amaranth

What about you?

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of music do you listen while gaming?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 10:07:50 am »

Welcome to the forums! Are you a fan of Dominion in particular or just gaming in general?

If I'm not just listening to the game's own music (an important part of some games) I usually listen to something a lot chiller when I game. Lately I've been listening to the soundtrack from the game VVVVVV a lot.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

CosPetia

• View Profile
    • War Cabinet fan
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 10:31:50 am »

Welcome to the forums! Are you a fan of Dominion in particular or just gaming in general?

If I'm not just listening to the game's own music (an important part of some games) I usually listen to something a lot chiller when I game. Lately I've been listening to the soundtrack from the game VVVVVV a lot.

Thank you for the warm welcome. I`m a fan of gaming in general, but I saw Dominion game and I loved it. I`m trying to read all about the rules and gameplay and get aquinted with it.

SK

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 11:08:05 am »

Im glad for you! Welcome to the forums. I am relatively new myself. Why is this in Forum Games?

CosPetia

• View Profile
    • War Cabinet fan
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 11:15:26 am »

Im glad for you! Welcome to the forums. I am relatively new myself. Why is this in Forum Games?

Thanks. Do you think I should move it to more appropriate section. I`m really new here and might `ve made a mistake :)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 11:21:32 am »

Well my taste in music doesn't depend on whether or not I'm playing, so I'm listening to the same music I listen to anyway (I rarely ever use the game music). That consists of mostly heavy metal, a bunch of classic, and some loose stuff from other genres. nightwish is part of it, though I mostly ignore the post-tarja era. the band has become so much worse it's not funny.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 11:32:34 am »

99% of the time I listen to the game music. If the game is good, the music is part of the experience. If it's not, my poor laptop can't handle running the game and playing music at the same time anyway :P
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 01:44:13 pm »

I listen to the tv in the background.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 02:03:52 pm »

Yeah, Dominion is a game you can listen to other music with. But most games put music in the enhance your experience. GTAV would be ruined with extra music, especially since they made special music for all the missions.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 02:13:16 pm »

I'll listen to the game music itself if it's any good. I'm actually a huge fan of video game music, I learned to play the piano by plunking out game music by ear (one of my firsts was the "spooky carousel" theme from Super Mario 64, and also the "sad Mallow" theme from Super Mario RPG). The VVVVVV music is indeed excellent. For Crypt of the Necrodancer, the music is essential to the experience, I have to crank the volume when I play that game.

For games without music, anything is fine, but I prefer something without lyrics usually, same when I'm working or studying. The official musical genre of roguelike games is classical guitar. Not sure why, but it just is.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 02:16:01 pm »

If we're talking vide games, there are really only two I play these days, XCom and CiV. I always have sound on for XCom, for CiV it can get boring after a while so I just listen to my main Spotify playlist (where I just have everything I like) on shuffle, or to one of the numerous podcasts I listen to.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 02:21:51 pm »

The official musical genre of roguelike games is classical guitar. Not sure why, but it just is.

Maybe because of this?

there are really only two I play these days, XCom and CiV.

"only"  ::)
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 02:25:13 pm »

Yeah, "only" refers to the number of games, not to hours played :P.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 02:30:53 pm »

Hehe, I've been playing some Xcom lately (finished the game, I have to say the end is fairly boring when you can steamroll even Sectopods), no way I could fit CiV in there too. I tried the game on Classic/Ironman, and apparently that's too much frustration for me.

SK

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 05:47:53 pm »

Thanks. Do you think I should move it to more appropriate section. I`m really new here and might `ve made a mistake :)
neh it's fine.

As for music, I listen to myself talk. I'm weird like that.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2014, 01:44:50 am »

It definitely depends on the game for me. When I'm playing something like Minecraft (heavily modded) or Terraria , I normally leave Pandora open on my favorite channel. I don't even entirely know how to categorize the music I listen to on it but it includes a lot of songs from: Green Day, Good Charlotte, Panic at the Disco, Bowling for Soup, and Fountains Of Wayne. In terms of my own music library I like to listen to movie soundtracks and songs from other games. I normally listen to music while playing "lighter" games that are non-shooters and such, but that constitutes the majority of the time I'm listening to music though.
Sorting my itunes library by playcount my top songs are: Stacy's Mom, The Prettiest Remix (From Superbrothers S&S), Illmerica, Running Hell (From the game Cave Story), and Teardrop by Mezzanine.

So IDK, that's the sort of music I listen to while playing games. It's the music I like, but I try to constantly expose myself to new music on Pandora.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 02:08:20 am »

Lots of times I just listen to this playlist: http://vip.aersia.net/vip.swf

Its basically a whole bunch of different video game music. I'm not to picky when it comes to music but sometimes I don't enjoy listening to signing and just like listening to the instruments. I find videogame music has a bunch of things like that. I especially love 8bit songs and I have no idea why.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

CosPetia

• View Profile
    • War Cabinet fan
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 06:42:36 am »

Well my taste in music doesn't depend on whether or not I'm playing, so I'm listening to the same music I listen to anyway (I rarely ever use the game music). That consists of mostly heavy metal, a bunch of classic, and some loose stuff from other genres. nightwish is part of it, though I mostly ignore the post-tarja era. the band has become so much worse it's not funny.

I`m totally agree with about post Tarja era of Nightwish. I love her voice :)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 05:29:56 pm »

she has done some solo albums which are decent, except for the latest one

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2014, 01:29:07 am »

Well, while playing mafia...

We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2014, 01:20:46 pm »

The only music one needs while gaming:

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 19 queries.