Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Useful Scout  (Read 2722 times)

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
The Useful Scout
« on: August 25, 2014, 06:10:13 pm »
+16

Code: [Select]
Courtyard, Hamlet, Great Hall, Feast, Nomad Camp, Remodel, Scout, Counterfeit, Mint, Farmland
It was an exciting day in the kingdom.  New designs floated around the courtyard.  There was talk of remodeling one of the estates into a great hall and turning all farmlands into provinces.  Even the guys at the Nomad Camp were talking about coming in for the upcoming feast, but first they were travelling around to visit every hamlet they could find to spread the news.  The mint was working hard to produce all of the gold and silver required, and if some of the money looked a bit fishy, no one really cared as long as they had enough money to finish the remodeling work.

The kingdom's scout sat alone in a dark corner of the estate, not wanting to cause any attention.  He knew no one really wanted him there.  He had tried to ask the Nomads to take him with them, but they laughed at the though of needing a scout in such a peaceful kingdom.  With a sigh, he walked away.

The party began with a bang.  Everyone was soon pitching in to help.  The nomads found some extra counterfeit money lying around, and the remodeling plans were shaping up nicely.  But there seemed to be a problem.  Well, not really a problem, but no one could really see how that next building was going to shape up, or how much money they might have for an upcoming project.  The scout waited patiently.  This was exactly what he knew how to do.  There were some other people in different 'uppity' kingdoms that thought they were better, like that awful cartographer from 3 kingdoms over, but the scout knew that if he just waited, his name would be called. 

Sure enough, about 2/3 of the way through the project, things began slowing down.  The feast looked like it might spoil if something didn't happen.  Almost all of the money had run out by then, and the villagers were wondering how they would be able to continue.  Timidly, the scout stepped forward out of his dark little corner.  "Can I help?" he asked cautiously.  People began to laugh, but then as Scout explained what he could do, then began to wonder, could this actually work?  Finally, after much consideration, they gave him a shot. 

The first time he stepped up to the plate, he was a bit nervous.  As he searched ahead to find help for his friends, he discovered just a single useful bit.  But it was enough to keep the project moving and set up the remodelers for the next round of building.  After that, he needed a short break, but was back on the job shortly after.  "This could be it!" the foreman shouted in excitement.  Scout knew he would have to be at his best.  He reached out as far as he could and this time pulled back twice the supplies that he had previously.   "Congratulations!  We can finish the job!" said the head remodeler as they put the finishing touches on the kingdom.  "And it was all thanks to you, Scout.  Come join us for the celebration feast."

Scout was so happy.  He had finally been put to work in the kingdom.  He no longer needed to lurk in the shadows, but could proudly walk among his fellow countrymen.

The End
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: The Useful Scout
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 08:48:20 pm »
+2

So basically it was a cantrip once and a Lab once.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 08:55:05 pm »

I've had him be more useful that that, even though your story is one of epic proportions.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 09:24:37 pm »

So basically it was a cantrip once and a Lab once.

exactly

I mean, I think picking up scout where I did (T9) in a short game (14 turns) with no real power cards is the right play here in my opinion.  I could have gone for another remodel, but I was turning 100% green (enabled by farmland being on the board) so having scout was actually a useful card both times I played it.  A cantrip that organizes the next 3 cards was exactly what I needed in the first situation, and picking up the province and great hall to enable the double remodel was again just what the doctor called for. 
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:37:23 pm by 2.71828..... »
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 12:52:20 pm »

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140826/log.51354761e4b07f4f5210780c.1409069792795.txt

I was going to post this separately, but seeing the title of the OP figured I'd just tag along on this.  This game is what I think is a good example of when scout can actually be OK...it helped for cycling, for expanding hand size for Horse Traders discards, and rearranging the top of the deck for Loan copper trashing.
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 02:51:50 pm »

http://www.gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?/20140826/log.51354761e4b07f4f5210780c.1409069792795.txt

I was going to post this separately, but seeing the title of the OP figured I'd just tag along on this.  This game is what I think is a good example of when scout can actually be OK...it helped for cycling, for expanding hand size for Horse Traders discards, and rearranging the top of the deck for Loan copper trashing.

silver > scout here.  This is just a fast money board.  I would probably just leave scout in his dark little corner on this one.

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 03:28:39 pm »

silver > scout here.  This is just a fast money board.  I would probably just leave scout in his dark little corner on this one.

Maybe.  However, after reviewing your log I'm pretty sure I got more use of scout in my game than you got in yours.  I'd have been quite tempted to just remodel into more remodels.  I guess that's what makes scout so bad...hard to really define game-breaking value even in games where it appears to shine.
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

theblankman

• Witch
  • Respect: +383
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 12:19:36 am »

I don't think I played this game well at all.  Started out Courtyard+BM then got Remodels and Hamlets that didn't fit that strategy.  I'm not sure things would turn out differently, but if I had this kingdom to play again, I'd stick with Courtyard+Counterfeit+Money, maybe throw in a Mint if the right hand comes up. 
it's a shame that full-random is the de facto standard
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.287 seconds with 21 queries.