Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Visual novels  (Read 17077 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Visual novels
« on: August 24, 2014, 08:46:48 pm »
+1

Anyone else into these? I'm still a n00b, having only read three, but I'm sure that number's going to increase in the future.

I just finished reading Kara no Shoujo for the first time... damn, that was powerful. Since I followed the walkthrough at tlwiki, I didn't get to the true ending yet, so some questions were left unanswered, but despite that, wow. It's probably the most twisted thing I've ever read.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 08:48:27 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
Re: Visual novels
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 09:48:05 pm »

I have played a lot of them.  Ghost Trick is my favorite (though it leans on the adventure side of things).  In spite of the genre's reputation, there is a little bit of something for everyone out there.  There's just also a lot of creepy stuff.  Other easy recommendations are Ace Attorney and 999/VLR.

The most recent VN I played was Tsukihime, which is a vampire story (yawn these days, I know) but it has a nicely done atmosphere.  (There are adult scenes in it, fair warning.  Though that applies to a hefty percentage of VNs so it's almost pointless to mention)

I'd say the most disturbing VN I ever played was Saya no Uta.  I didn't actually finish it, though I Googled the rest of the story.  You should not play that one if you have a weak stomach.  In fact, I wouldn't even look it up since there's some terrifying imagery in there.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 10:03:01 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 05:24:48 am »

The only VN I've played is Dangan Ronpa, but I liked it a lot.

The premise is essentially a darker version of Ace Attorney, lots of fun characters...that may die at any point.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Gveoniz

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +263
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 05:46:53 am »

I have only played 3 visual novels. Umineko no Naku Koro ni is my favorite one. It also involves lots of fun characters...that may die at any point...multiple times.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 07:11:38 am »

I'd say the most disturbing VN I ever played was Saya no Uta.  I didn't actually finish it, though I Googled the rest of the story.  You should not play that one if you have a weak stomach.  In fact, I wouldn't even look it up since there's some terrifying imagery in there.
That's my favorite so far. As disturbing as it is, it's also incredibly cute and wonderful at the same time, and I guess a part of what made it easier for me to read than Kara no Shoujo is that the deranged scenes are spread out over the length of the entire VN and then you get used to it, as opposed to being concentrated in a dozen of extremely brutal murder scenes.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 07:25:57 am »

I played a bunch of DS Games like Ghost Trick and the Phoenix Wright series. Ghost Trick is great, I still think about it from time to time.

I did one playthrough of 9 people, 9 doors (think it's called something like that), but found it too annoying to play it again and look for the good ending.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 06:41:20 pm »

Ace Attorney is quite awesome, I must admit.
I am not interested in most other games of the genre.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 07:58:40 pm »

Ace Attorney is quite awesome, I must admit.
I am not interested in most other games of the genre.

I was once like you, my friend. So know that I speak with the voice of experience.

If you liked Ace Attorney, you will love Ghost Trick. Written by the same guy and available on DS and iOS. Great characters, fantastic plot, and a terrific soundtrack.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 09:11:36 pm by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 08:53:44 pm »

If any of you have a PS Vita and don't yet have Danganronpa, it's on sale today for $20. Highly recommended!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 09:03:50 pm »
+1

If any of you have a PS Vita and don't yet have Danganronpa, it's on sale today for $20. Highly recommended!
Some of us seems to have a PS Vita and don't yet have Dangaronpa then, because it is on sale today for $20.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 09:18:08 pm »
+1

I have Danganronpa, but have not played it yet.  It's in my mountainous backlog.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 09:47:20 pm »

Some of us seems to have a PS Vita and don't yet have Dangaronpa then, because it is on sale today for $20.

Once I see that it is no longer $20, I will know this situation has been rectified. So get to it!

I have Danganronpa, but have not played it yet.  It's in my mountainous backlog.

I was in that situation only a month or two ago. I strongly encourage you to prioritize it. Same developers that made 999 and VLR and a really good game. The mechanics are not great, but everything else (characters, story, music, etc.) more than makes up for it.

EDIT: Also, the sequel comes out on September 2nd, for what that's worth. I eagerly await it. Also also, the last DLC chapter for Muramasa Rebirth comes out that day, but I guess this isn't the right thread for that.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 09:49:21 pm by LastFootnote »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 10:08:45 pm »

Ah, too bad I don't have a PS Vita. I played a translated version of the first Dangan Ronpa on PSP, but it looks like they stopped working on the translation for the PSP version of Dangan Ronpa 2 because of the official English release.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 07:36:16 pm »

Nuts. I bought a physical copy because it was cheaper than in the online store. Just barely into the first chapter now. Also, I was playing VLR on my 3DS but somehow the save got corrupted :S and I'm hoping it's just the save, and not the whole game.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 06:23:32 am »
+1

Bought Hatoful Boyfriend on Steam to have something to do today. I'll report back later with my thoughts. I havn't really played many visual novels before. Ace Attourney series are the only ones that I can think of right now.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 01:31:02 pm by Lekkit »

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 11:56:06 am »
+1

Bought Hafotul Boyfriend on Steam to have something to do today. I'll report back later with my thoughts. I havn't really played many visual novels before. Ace Attourney series are the only ones that I can think of right now.

I just learned of this yesterday, it looks hilarious!
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 01:29:52 pm »

Bought Hafotul Boyfriend on Steam to have something to do today. I'll report back later with my thoughts. I havn't really played many visual novels before. Ace Attourney series are the only ones that I can think of right now.

I just learned of this yesterday, it looks hilarious!

After playing it for a couple of hours I can say that it's kind of fun. There are hillarious moments here and there, and in general it's an enjoyable experience.

The thing I don't really like about it is that every path is kind of short. So you have to play the game multiple times. But most of the stuff is the same regardless of which path you take, so there's a lot of repetition.

[EDIT:] Just noticed I said Hafotul in my first post where it should say Hatoful.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 04:51:37 pm »

Allright, so me and luliin got all the regular endings. And now we've apparently unlocked the "true" game. :S It's getting MUCH darker. Still like the game, though. Probably more now. Although having to collect all to get access to the main bulk of the game is bad design, IMO.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 05:10:23 pm »
+1

I've just finished Papers, Please.
Does that count as visual novel? It's quite fan though, which is odd as your job is document checking at border control.  ;D

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 06:05:57 pm »

I've just finished Papers, Please.
Does that count as visual novel? It's quite fan though, which is odd as your job is document checking at border control.  ;D

Close enough! I mentioned it in the random stuff thread also but I highly recommend Papers Please.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 01:39:22 am »

Does anyone want to try this game for me to tell me whether it's worth it? Since I read a review of it, and it's vaguely interesting, but not enough for price tag.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/310080/

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 02:40:06 am »
+1

My fiancιe just started playing it, and her comment so far has been "It's no good! They're all pigeons!". I'm not sure what to make of that, since she knew exactly what it was about going in to it.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 02:46:40 am »

Does anyone want to try this game for me to tell me whether it's worth it? Since I read a review of it, and it's vaguely interesting, but not enough for price tag.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/310080/

Totally worth it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 03:11:29 pm »

I liked the Yosuga no Sora anime and people kept telling me that the VN is a lot better, so I just finished reading it (Sora route). They were right, the VN was great. The translation was horrible (well, I guess I had that coming when I read it before they finished editing it). It's been a while since read a VN which didn't leave me with a feeling of weakness and dread, it's kind of refreshing.

Recommended for people who don't dislike romantic stories, but if you're underage, you probably want to make sure your parents won't walk in when you're reading it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2015, 05:09:23 pm »

But weakness and dread are fine feelings, too. Time to read Cartagra ~Affliction of the Soul~.

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.