Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Card Idea: Treaty  (Read 2493 times)

stechafle

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: stechafle
  • Respect: +97
    • View Profile
Card Idea: Treaty
« on: August 23, 2014, 08:55:18 am »

Treaty
Each Player (including you) reveals cards from their deck until revealing an Attack card. Trash the revealed Attack card and discard the other revealed cards. If you trash a card this way gain a Gold or Duchy. Each other player who trashes a card this way gains a Silver or Estate, their choice.
Cost $5 Action - Attack

I was trying to come up with a way to slow down someone who is pummeling you with Attacks. It benefits your economy in the early game and could turn your Attack cards into net 2 VP late in the game.

A major drawback is if you have no Attack card in deck or discard, it's Chancellor without the +$2. Maybe needs to cost less?

What else could improve this concept?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:59:41 pm by stechafle »

Zappie

• Thief
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Treaty
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 11:00:16 am »

If you lower the cost to make it a better self-synergy, the card can be used on boards without attacks cards.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 11:10:33 am »

If you lower the cost to make it a better self-synergy, the card can be used on boards without attacks cards.

i doubt that. it's a delayed gold-gainer with no advantage. you don't want to have that pretty much ever.

the card needs to work without attack cards though, there are too many boards without relevant attacks.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 11:15:25 am »

i doubt that. it's a delayed gold-gainer with no advantage. you don't want to have that pretty much ever.

the card needs to work without attack cards though, there are too many boards without relevant attacks.
If it really was a Gold-gainer, then I believe it would be useful (Soothsayer is useful, too), but it's a Remodel variant, not a gainer. You have to keep buying more Treaties in order to gain more Golds.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 11:26:33 am »

If it really was a Gold-gainer, then I believe it would be useful (Soothsayer is useful, too), but it's a Remodel variant, not a gainer. You have to keep buying more Treaties in order to gain more Golds.

well you gain gold with it  :P but you're right, it's rather a remodel. either way, it's weak.

stechafle

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 11:06:09 am »

I have been doing some playtesting with this idea. The original version caused too much delay while you searched through your deck and discard pile looking for that one Attack card. I decided to try a discard attack that only hits other Attack cards with the following wording. This was better but could still stand improvement.

+$2
Each other player discards an Attack card from their hand or reveals a hand with no attack cards.
You may trash this card. If you do, gain a Victory card costing up to $6. Each other player gains a Victory card costing up to $3.
$4    Action - Attack

It was still kind of weak as an attack. I actually bought it most often to trash for 6 VP Fairgrounds. My wife wants to give it +1 Action and drop the trashing part. Instead I'm thinking of dropping the cost to $3, making you choose between the attack and trashing, and changing the trashing to just gain a Victory card costing up to $5 without giving other players anything.

Any thoughts from the group?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 12:51:02 pm »

+$2
Each other player discards an Attack card from their hand or reveals a hand with no attack cards.
You may trash this card. If you do, gain a Victory card costing up to $6. Each other player gains a Victory card costing up to $3.
$4    Action - Attack

You can fight this by not buying Attacks. I don't think the person playing this card is going to get much of an advantage out of it. Is other players gaining an Estate supposed to be contingent on you trashing the Treaty? The way it's worded, it always hands out Victory cards to your opponents.

stechafle

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 03:12:34 pm »

Is other players gaining an Estate supposed to be contingent on you trashing the Treaty? The way it's worded, it always hands out Victory cards to your opponents.

Yes, the other players gaining Estates was supposed to be contingent on the trashing. Poor wording on my part  :(
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 21 queries.