Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Thought experiment: Curses  (Read 1431 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Thought experiment: Curses
« on: December 12, 2011, 03:21:09 pm »

This thread: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=1156.0 got me thinking. What if the rule were that when you purchase a curse, you can place it into your opponent's discard pile? What does this do to strategy? Obviously +buy cards become way stronger. But when you don't have +buy, when is this the right move? My guess is that if you have $3 or more to spend, it is almost never a good idea to buy a curse. Compare it to Sea Hag (by itself)... give your opponent a curse, do nothing else with your action phase. Buying a curse is give your opponent a curse, skip your entire turn.

I think cards like Witch would still be good. Draw cards, give your opponents a curse, still have your buy available!

Of course, this also makes for targeted attacks when playing with more than 2 people.

Thoughts?

Also, how would I put the link above such that the words "this thread" are the link?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
Re: Thought experiment: Curses
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 03:34:01 pm »
+1

As the starter of the previous thread I thought I would mention what my group of friends did over the weekend because of the reminiscing about our previous inability to read the rule book. We tried this method over a couple of games and saw some interesting results.

Whereas when we first played the game we only bought the Curses when we had +Buy. This makes Woodcutter much, much stronger. And it makes Witch much, much weaker--as it does to other cursing attacks. In fact I don't think anyone bought a cursing attack the entire time we played.

As I mentioned on the previous thread, we originally played that we could just again place the curse into an opponent's discard pile when it came up in your 5 card draw. This left a slight discouragement from buying and giving curses because most often the person giving out the curses at the beginning of the game would be the one getting them. We played this way and we played a few where the curses remained in the pile after receiving them.  In the first situation, few curses were bought out of fear from getting those curses back--that is slowing down all three opponents' turns for one turn is not worth getting 3 curses into your hand, especially early in the game. There were a couple of hands drawn that had 3+ curses in them.

In the second scenario people bought curses much faster, and as GenoIkari mentions skipping a turn completely to only buy and give a curse occurred a couple of times. A friend tried a strategy where he opened +curse, +curse and got hammered because that left him behind in then next turns and because we all started targeting him with our curses.

In general we determined that we like Donald's version of curses much more. Which is why he is the genius and why we aren't.

Loschmidt

• Golem
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 04:59:08 pm »

Ill gotten gains is basically a functioning example of this idea.

When you purchase IGG you're basically paying to give everyone else a curse. The value of IGG in your deck can sometimes be useful of course but the real strength of it is in giving players a curse. And IGG is a $5 card.

I think if you could buy a curse for your opponent at any time for $0 the optimal play strategy would be to buy them every turn until they run out. Every turn you don't buy one your opponent can buy an extra one for you. So i don't really think this would be a fun game.

Octo

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 02:48:24 pm »

What do you do with 3 or 4 players?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.