Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Inn + Watchtower top-deck reveal  (Read 4667 times)

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
  • Highest Rank/Rating: 58/5600
  • Respect: +136
    • View Profile
Inn + Watchtower top-deck reveal
« on: August 20, 2014, 02:03:39 pm »
+1

Is this one of those situations where you get to decide which happens first, of the "on-gain" effects? What exactly can happen here?
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
Re: Inn + Watchtower top-deck reveal
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 02:18:16 pm »
+4

Is this one of those situations where you get to decide which happens first, of the "on-gain" effects? What exactly can happen here?

Okay, here are the possibilities:

1. Reveal Watchtower.
...Trash Inn.
2. Move Actions from discard to deck and shuffle.

1. Reveal Watchtower.
...Top-deck Inn.
2. Move Actions from discard to deck and shuffle.
...Inn is no longer top-decked, because you shuffled.

1. Move Actions, including Inn, from discard to deck and shuffle.
2. Reveal Watchtower.
...Can't trash or top-deck Inn because it's been lost track of.

1. Move Actions, not including Inn, from discard to deck and shuffle.
2. Reveal Watchtower.
...Trash or top-deck Inn.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 02:21:29 pm »
+1

Or if you want inn in the discard pile, don't reveal watchtower!

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 02:48:41 pm »

2. Reveal Watchtower.

Is it clear that this is valid? Meaning, "looking through the discard" does not make WT to lose track of Inn? I remember that covering and then uncovering the discard (through BV/Haggler gains and WT trashes) implies a lost of track. I am not sure how the tracking on the discard works after a "look through the discard" takes place. It does matter because it changes whether or not you can effectively top-deck Inn (for trashing, you can always reveal WT before activating Inn's on-gain, so it is not important).

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 05:09:36 pm »
+1

2. Reveal Watchtower.

Is it clear that this is valid? Meaning, "looking through the discard" does not make WT to lose track of Inn? I remember that covering and then uncovering the discard (through BV/Haggler gains and WT trashes) implies a lost of track. I am not sure how the tracking on the discard works after a "look through the discard" takes place. It does matter because it changes whether or not you can effectively top-deck Inn (for trashing, you can always reveal WT before activating Inn's on-gain, so it is not important).

Yes, it's valid. Check the FAQ here. It's at the very bottom of the FAQ, with a link to Donald's ruling.

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 08:55:51 pm »

2. Reveal Watchtower.

Yes, it's valid. Check the FAQ here. It's at the very bottom of the FAQ, with a link to Donald's ruling.

I guess if you change the order of your discard pile while looking through it, you can lose track of Inn, but if you don't change the order, then you don't.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 02:16:49 pm »

2. Reveal Watchtower.

I guess if you change the order of your discard pile while looking through it, you can lose track of Inn, but if you don't change the order, then you don't.

I doubt that that's a thing.
"If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything." - William Lyon Phelps

AJD

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 03:09:13 pm »

2. Reveal Watchtower.

You doubt what's a thing? The FAQ says "It does not matter what order you leave your discard pile in afterwards," so you can change the order of your discard pile if you want to.

Flip5ide

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 01:56:27 am »

2. Reveal Watchtower.

You doubt what's a thing? The FAQ says "It does not matter what order you leave your discard pile in afterwards," so you can change the order of your discard pile if you want to.

"Losing track" in that situation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 02:21:24 am »

2. Reveal Watchtower.

"Losing track" in that situation.

I'm as confused as AJD.  If a card in the discard pile gets covered up, you lose track of it.  Even if you subsequently uncover it, you've still lost track of it.  Here's the ruling, which is based on the official explanation of Lose Track in the Dark Ages rule book.  If you change the order of the discard pile to cover up the card on top, you lose track of that card.

swedenman

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 05:42:14 am »
+1

Yeah, it's weird, but if you are so remiss as to alter the order of your discard pile while looking through it, then you would definitely lose track of the Inn. Much like how if you discard your Potion before your Alchemists you don't get to top-deck them. Neither of these would ever be a problem on Goko, and are unlikely to happen in real life, but technically that is the rule.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.469 seconds with 21 queries.