Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1218177 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #5425 on: September 22, 2015, 08:31:48 am »
+1

For the first time, I'm donating white-blood cells. A kid needs type-O blood, and I qualify. I've given blood before as well as platelets. This is all new to me. As it has been explained to me, I'll have one tube removing my blood where it is passed to the machine that separates out the WBCs. Then the blood is returned in my other arm. This could take up to 2 hours. So no phone use for me. I'm bringing a DVD player.

I had to take medicine that increases my WBC production for 17 hours (very specific number actually). It makes me feel warmer, so I guess this is what a hot flash may feel like. It did interfere with my sleeping, but my sleep schedule has always been one of my worst enemies anyway. No real difference there.

But unlike the normal blood donation, this has a much more immediate effect. They may even cart those WBCs to that kid in the next few hours, so that's a warm fuzzy feeling.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: September 22, 2015, 08:58:47 am »
+1

Mane6, the dev team behind Fighting is Magic, has a crowdfunding campaign for their legally distinct spiritual successor, Them's Fightin' Herds.

I'm mostly glad they pulled it off, since they had around 2 years of work before Hasbro sent a cease & desist for Fighting is Magic, and 2 years after the C&D they have this. Not sure if I'll back or not though, not that into traditional fighting games.

"Help a cast of cute animals beat each other up by making "Them's Fightin' Herds" become a reality!"

There's nothing about that that doesn't sound good!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #5427 on: September 22, 2015, 09:25:51 am »

the thing that doesn't sound good is that it isn't ponies anymore ;_;

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5428 on: September 22, 2015, 01:09:04 pm »
+2

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5429 on: September 22, 2015, 01:57:17 pm »
+1

And then there is this:

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5430 on: September 23, 2015, 02:25:04 am »

Blindfolded run of SMW.  At 13:16 he asks, "Did I split after Star World 3?  Because if I didn't, I'm a split behind."  Does anybody know what that means?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: September 23, 2015, 02:31:32 am »
+2

Splits are the times on the left, showing how long it took to reach each point. So if he didn't split, he didn't press the button to record his time and so his timer program would be showing the wrong information, and be one time record (split) behind.

Also after typing this post split doesn't even seem like a real word any more. Split. Yeah, that's definitely a word I just made up.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: September 23, 2015, 09:55:47 am »
+1

But unlike the normal blood donation, this has a much more immediate effect. They may even cart those WBCs to that kid in the next few hours, so that's a warm fuzzy feeling.

And that got sour pretty quickly. I went in to donate white blood cells, but they couldn't attach an IV to my left arm. They tried really hard. They stuck me five times, and now I know why they attempt the hand as a last resort. That shit hurts. Each time they just weren't able to get a good flow into my arm. Without the ability to cycle blood back into my body, they were unable to draw my blood, which is too bad because my right arm is super generous when it comes to spurting blood. I suggested trying to draw from my left arm and putting the IV in my right, but the left arm was already too marked up from the IV attempts so they couldn't draw from that.

So I was looking forward to helping someone out, but he didn't get any white blood cells yesterday. I just hope whoever they scheduled for today (if anyone) has better luck.

Now I feel bad and need pictures of animals or something.
A man has no signature

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: September 23, 2015, 10:00:03 am »
+17

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: September 23, 2015, 10:20:28 am »
+3

So I Gain a Silver, draw 1 Card and get +1 Action?

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: September 23, 2015, 11:25:04 am »

And that got sour pretty quickly. I went in to donate white blood cells, but they couldn't attach an IV to my left arm. They tried really hard. They stuck me five times, and now I know why they attempt the hand as a last resort. That shit hurts. Each time they just weren't able to get a good flow into my arm. Without the ability to cycle blood back into my body, they were unable to draw my blood, which is too bad because my right arm is super generous when it comes to spurting blood. I suggested trying to draw from my left arm and putting the IV in my right, but the left arm was already too marked up from the IV attempts so they couldn't draw from that.

So I was looking forward to helping someone out, but he didn't get any white blood cells yesterday. I just hope whoever they scheduled for today (if anyone) has better luck.

Now I feel bad and need pictures of animals or something.

How does that happen?  Is it that the staff were incompetent, or just your body not cooperating?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: September 23, 2015, 01:40:56 pm »
+1

How does that happen?  Is it that the staff were incompetent, or just your body not cooperating?

I'm not knowledgeable on that topic to pass judgment on the staff, but there were four people trying to place the IV in five different places, so there was a lot of school years crammed in that room. They seemed to know what they were talking about. My veins in my left arm just like to roll, and they didn't want to risk pushing too hard and puncturing the other side of the vein.

I told my wife that if I'm hospitalized, tell them to put the IV in my right arm. That is much more agreeable.

My wife offered to give white blood cells, since she's O-. She was told that they have drawn enough blood for the time period needed, so I feel better knowing that my body's failure didn't kill him. If the hospital needs to extend the request, then they may need to take my wife. Women typically aren't called in for this kind of donation because each pregnancy increases the levels of something in their body (look at me getting all technical). Since my wife's never been pregnant, this ought to not be a problem.
A man has no signature

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: September 24, 2015, 07:57:01 pm »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5438 on: September 26, 2015, 03:41:32 pm »
+1

I was on YouTube and one of the recommended videos on the home page had a transliterated Japanese title which I didn't understand. It took me several seconds to realize that it was actually not Japanese, but Finnish, and that I understood it perfectly well.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #5439 on: September 26, 2015, 03:49:21 pm »
+1

Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: September 26, 2015, 04:35:25 pm »
+1

Mane6, the dev team behind Fighting is Magic, has a crowdfunding campaign for their legally distinct spiritual successor, Them's Fightin' Herds.

I'm mostly glad they pulled it off, since they had around 2 years of work before Hasbro sent a cease & desist for Fighting is Magic, and 2 years after the C&D they have this. Not sure if I'll back or not though, not that into traditional fighting games.

"Help a cast of cute animals beat each other up by making "Them's Fightin' Herds" become a reality!"

There's nothing about that that doesn't sound good!

It's also by people who really know how to make a mechanically sound, fun to play 2D fighting game. I played the tribute edition of "Fighting is Magic", and even though it was an unfinished game, it felt amazing. Sure, these guys have the woman who actually made people like Silverspawn and me like ponies as a character designer, they have the Skullgirls engine, they have some badass soundtrack writers, but before all, they know what they are doing, you can see their love for the genre and the will to create something great. It's going to be friggin' amazing.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: September 29, 2015, 01:02:53 pm »

I wonder if America will eventually abolish the area code.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #5442 on: September 29, 2015, 01:31:04 pm »

No, but we will at some point stop calling it that.  Well, maybe, momentum is hard to stop.  But it'll stop meaning area code.

We still need 10 digit numbers to distinguish phones, and possibly eventually 11.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: September 29, 2015, 01:33:25 pm »

Is this conversation in the "Random Stuff" thread because it's actually continuing from another conversation elsewhere, but it's being in this thread is what makes it "random"?

Because it sounds like I walked in on the middle of it.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5444 on: September 29, 2015, 09:43:23 pm »

No, but we will at some point stop calling it that.  Well, maybe, momentum is hard to stop.  But it'll stop meaning area code.

We still need 10 digit numbers to distinguish phones, and possibly eventually 11.

That's actually what I meant. That we'll stop assigning the first three numbers to areas because some areas will become too saturated, and the area is meaningless in the cell phone age. Soon, the first three numbers will only be an indication of where you got your first phone--much like how the social security number tells people roughly where you were born.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5445 on: September 29, 2015, 09:43:47 pm »
+2

This is my favorite video ever now.

A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #5446 on: September 30, 2015, 02:21:45 pm »
+3

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5447 on: September 30, 2015, 02:23:53 pm »

This is my favorite video ever now.

Oh, no... Beta.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5448 on: September 30, 2015, 02:33:05 pm »
+2

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5449 on: October 02, 2015, 11:12:33 am »
+4

I thought this was interesting, a sort of "intuitive" large-scale analogy of quantum entanglement, and why it wouldn't violate Special Relativity:

In a darkened room, take one dollar bill and randomly tear it into two pieces. Put each piece into an envelope. The two pieces are now "entangled" in the sense that they share a mirror image border. Notice that you don't yet know anything about the exact shape of either piece.

Now mail one piece to your friend on the other side of the world. If your friend opens her envelope before you do, she instantly knows the exact shape of your half too even though you don't know it yet. Likewise, if you open yours before she opens hers, you instantly know the shape of her half, even if she doesn't.

That relationship is symmetric and it would still hold true, even if your friend was in another galaxy and the USPS could deliver her mail to her through a wormhole. The point is that no information actually "flows" between the two pieces when one of them is "observed". No laws are broken. Well, except for the part about tearing up a banknote.

Of course, the analogy should be taken with a grain of salt. (The author himself goes on to warn against taking it literally.)  Still, I hadn't thought of it in that way before.

More can be found here.
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.