Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1221870 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #5075 on: August 04, 2015, 03:26:00 pm »
+4

Sell me a game console.

Lego Dimensions is coming, I need a new DVD player (and I guess Blu-Ray as well), and the kids are getting old enough that it's time to really game with them.

I despise the FPS genre, sometimes enjoy puzzle-platforms and ARPGs.  Strategy gaming probably stays on the PC because who wants to play Civ with a hand controller?

I have never owned a console, and the last one I spent significant gaming time on was an Atari 2600.  What should I get?  Help me f.ds, you're my only hope.

Wii U has all Nintendo games, and practically no FPS (Splatoon is TPS, but eh). Nintendo games are never bad. There's Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros Wii U, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World, and on and on and on. Really, you're set if you have just a Wii U and a PC unless you want to play Destiny or some console exclusive once and awhile.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5076 on: August 04, 2015, 03:37:13 pm »
+2

I get mail for people wanting to partner with my YouTube channel and try to cheat me out of my money all the time, but this interaction takes the freaking cake:
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #5077 on: August 04, 2015, 03:38:58 pm »

Tell him about tree fiddy.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #5078 on: August 04, 2015, 03:39:18 pm »

This is a random question I've been wondering, but how much money do you actually make with youtube?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5079 on: August 04, 2015, 03:45:43 pm »

This is a random question I've been wondering, but how much money do you actually make with youtube?

On my large channel, if I had no copyrights, I'd be swimming in thousands a year. Nice pocket money. (One of my videos has over 25M views, actually.)  I make really nothing, since all of my big videos are copyrighted because I made them long ago and didn't think they'd be big then. Really though, I make about a hundred every couple months or so. It never hurts to monetize your stuff and not use copyrighted music or anything. I make my own music, so I don't have to worry about that anymore. :)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #5080 on: August 04, 2015, 04:10:49 pm »
+1

Lego Dimensions is coming, I need a new DVD player (and I guess Blu-Ray as well), and the kids are getting old enough that it's time to really game with them.

I despise the FPS genre, sometimes enjoy puzzle-platforms and ARPGs.  Strategy gaming probably stays on the PC because who wants to play Civ with a hand controller?

The WiiU doesn't play DVDs, let alone Blu-Ray. Hopefully that helps? If that weren't a concern, then I'd suggest the WiiU for sure.

Nintendo games are never bad.

Correction: Games developed internally by Nintendo are (almost) always great. Games that they outsource (Kirby's Epic Yarn, every Yoshi game since the N64 days, etc.) tend to be mediocre.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 04:14:09 pm by LastFootnote »

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #5081 on: August 04, 2015, 04:26:20 pm »
+1

On my large channel, if I had no copyrights, I'd be swimming in thousands a year. Nice pocket money. (One of my videos has over 25M views, actually.)  I make really nothing, since all of my big videos are copyrighted because I made them long ago and didn't think they'd be big then. Really though, I make about a hundred every couple months or so. It never hurts to monetize your stuff and not use copyrighted music or anything. I make my own music, so I don't have to worry about that anymore. :)

So my channel full of covers and stuff wouldn't get anywhere...

Correction: Games developed internally by Nintendo are (almost) always great. Games that they outsource (Kirby's Epic Yarn, every Yoshi game since the N64 days, etc.) tend to be mediocre.

I have to rant a bit on this.  Yoshi's Island (and even Yoshi's Island DS) were great games, mostly because of how hard they are.  They provide a great challenge.  Then I recently heard someone at Nintendo (in a thing about Yoshi's Wooly World) say that one of the nice things about Yoshi games is how easy they are (talking about the more recent ones).  What did they do to Yoshi?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5082 on: August 04, 2015, 08:02:56 pm »
+1

We bought a Wii U a couple of weeks ago, and I think it has been played at least once almost every day since - mostly 3-player New Super Mario World 3D and 4-player Mario Kart 8, but also Splatoon and Pikmin 3. It has broadly been agreed that it is one of the best purchases the household has made in the 3 months we've been a household. Second best is probably the Chromecast.

As a sidenote, we currently have 6 different ways of playing YouTube videos on that TV, plus multiple ways to stream other services or watch DVDs/Blu-Rays.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #5083 on: August 04, 2015, 08:22:49 pm »

Sell me a game console.

I have never owned a console, and the last one I spent significant gaming time on was an Atari 2600.  What should I get?  Help me f.ds, you're my only hope.

If you primarily play strategy games and aren't looking to delve in to too many new genres you should just stick with PC and maybe add a 3DS. If you want to branch out, well, it's a tougher question since there are a large variety of console games that don't all appeal to the same people. You missed out on quite a legacy by skipping that much so it's hard to say. I can only recommend my favorite games.

If all you want to do is play games with your kids, then go with Nintendo consoles for sure. First party games are almost always family friendly and good enough fun that you'll enjoy them too. Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros, and Mario 3D World all come recommended from me. If you're afraid of emulation, you can explore some of the back catalogue of Nintendo on the virtual console as well. 

The WiiU is also backwards compatible with the Wii, which had a couple of great games (sadly a lot of bad ones too, but you can avoid those). Since you like strategy games, I highly recommend Little King's Story, which is kind of a cross between Pikmin, a city building game, and an RPG. It has a great story and unique visual/audio style.  You may also enjoy the Fire Emblem series, which is a sometimes brutal but enjoyable strategy RPG series.  Fire Emblem 7 (called Fire Emblem in the west) is on the WiiU virtual console and FE:Awakening is on 3DS. 
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #5084 on: August 04, 2015, 09:19:33 pm »

I have to rant a bit on this.  Yoshi's Island (and even Yoshi's Island DS) were great games, mostly because of how hard they are.  They provide a great challenge.  Then I recently heard someone at Nintendo (in a thing about Yoshi's Wooly World) say that one of the nice things about Yoshi games is how easy they are (talking about the more recent ones).  What did they do to Yoshi?

I don't think Yoshi's Island was really that hard.  That's certainly not the main appeal of it for me.  The reason Yoshi's Island is fantastic is the egg making/throwing mechanic, the tons of unique enemies and levels, and just the overall adorable feel of the game (music, art style, characters, etc.).  All of those things were present in Yoshi's New Island as well.  Yoshi's New Island was not nearly as good as the original, sure, but it was still a great game, and I don't think it was that much easier anyway.  It was probably much easier to 100% though since you no longer had to get flowers, stars, and red coins all together in one run of each level.

For hard platformers, they already had the DKC series, and they certainly kept that quality when they revived them.  I don't think they should be trying to make Yoshi games particularly hard.  Though I also don't think they should necessarily really easy.  I haven't played Yoshi's Woolly World (is it out yet?) so I guess I can't really comment on that one.  Have there been any other Yoshi games since Yoshi's Island DS?

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5085 on: August 04, 2015, 09:28:07 pm »
+1

Yoshi's Island is plenty hard if you are going for 100%.  (It's not that tough if you aren't)

I have been disappointed with how Nintendo handles Yoshi games since Yoshi's Story, but Woolly World looks pretty cool, so hopefully I end up liking it.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: August 04, 2015, 10:32:09 pm »
+3

Your words have no meaning when your avatar keeps diminishing in quality.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: August 04, 2015, 10:51:54 pm »
+1

Do you judge everyone by their appearances? 

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: August 04, 2015, 11:02:26 pm »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: August 04, 2015, 11:31:54 pm »

Do you judge everyone by their appearances?

Yes.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: August 04, 2015, 11:32:55 pm »

I am disappointed in the lack of rodent diners.

A man has no signature

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: August 05, 2015, 01:26:32 am »
+1

So I recently moved and changed ISPs. I have my own modem. Previous provider had it "approved". Whatever. Used it for years.

I just called my new provider. Gave them all the info. Got bored on hold, tried to go online. Worked like a charm.

Hold ends. They say it's not approved, I have to get a different modem. I ask why, they just say, "Not approved." Whatever. I angrily hang up.

But the internet still works.

Is there any potential problem with continuing to use this "unapproved" modem? I assume they're not going to notice out of incompetence. Or will they and I'll be shut off in a few hours/days? Would that be a problem?

I once got free cable for a year because I called to cancel service, they closed my account, and it turns out never actually de-activated the service. Just turned the TV on once by mistake, there was cable. So...

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: August 05, 2015, 07:50:41 am »

Sell me a game console.

Wii U has all Nintendo games, and practically no FPS (Splatoon is TPS, but eh). Nintendo games are never bad. There's Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros Wii U, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D World, and on and on and on. Really, you're set if you have just a Wii U and a PC unless you want to play Destiny or some console exclusive once and awhile.

I disagree that "Nintendo games are never bad". New Super Mario Bros U felt a lot like it was just new levels for a game they did a long time ago. Also, if you want to get a Wii U, i suggest keeping in mind that you are going to need a Wii Remote per player. Some games allow playing with the Wii U gamepad, too. Did i mention New Super Mario Bros U isn't one of them? That game just sucks so much and i hate myself for buying the console with it instead of Mario Kart 8.

Other than that, Nintendo has created some very, very good games for Wii U in the recent past. Super Smash Bros for Wii U is addictive and fun, Mario Kart 8 seems to be great (i wouldn't know it...), and even TPS Splatoon caught me by surprise. It's just remarkable how Nintendo did a twist to that genre. Also i love how Donkey Kong Country Returns (and, to some extend, Tropical Freeze) go against that awful trend of making games so absurdly easy it's no fun to play through them at all. It was one of the things i really disliked with Kirby - Return to Dreamland, allthough i loved the game other than that. If Yoshi's Wooly World is the same, i won't even bother, and i'm the hugest Yoshi's Island fan.

Long story short, i also think the Wii U is the best choice currently.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: August 05, 2015, 04:53:47 pm »

The biggest reason to buy Nintendo consoles is that many Playstation/Xbox games (usually FPS) end up getting released on PC as well. There are some big exceptions - Metal Gear Solid, Kingdom Hearts, etc. However I can't remember the last Nintendo game that got ported to PC.

That being said, if you like JRPGs, Nintendo isn't a good choice, many of those get released on PS4.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: August 05, 2015, 05:11:10 pm »

The biggest reason to buy Nintendo consoles is that many Playstation/Xbox games (usually FPS) end up getting released on PC as well. There are some big exceptions - Metal Gear Solid, Kingdom Hearts, etc. However I can't remember the last Nintendo game that got ported to PC.

That being said, if you like JRPGs, Nintendo isn't a good choice, many of those get released on PS4.

I think if you like JRPGs, the 3DS and Vita are your best bet these days.

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: August 05, 2015, 05:45:38 pm »

Yes, I agree that handhelds are the new home for old school sensibility games like JRPGs, but they are also great for visual novels, which took up a lot of my gaming time in the 00s. The 3DS is your best bet since it can play DS games too, but there are titles worth checking out on Vita too, though they are few in number.

The PS4 is a good home for action games like Souls/Bloodborne, Metal Gear, lots of titles that have not come out yet (I am especially looking forward to Nier 2 and Horizon: Zero Dawn). In spite of having been out for two years, the PS4's library is still kind of in wait mode, which is one reason the WiiU seems like a way better buy right now.

To be honest, the PS3 is still a pretty good buy too. Persona 5 is on the horizon, which should be awesome barring a disaster, and there's a great back catalogue of games on the system that still feel modern despite the system's age. I can't speak for the 360; I never got one.

Another advantage of the PS4/Xbone is that if you can't afford a quality gaming PC or don't have the patience to learn how to patch games and such, a console is guaranteed to play the games you buy with no fuss, so for many it's worth having the console version of a multiplat game even if it is "better" on PC.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: August 05, 2015, 06:03:22 pm »

there are titles worth checking out on Vita too, though they are few in number.

Few in number? I must have a dozen Vita games, and that doesn't even count the PSP and PS1 games that I can play on it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: August 05, 2015, 06:45:36 pm »
+1

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: August 05, 2015, 06:47:17 pm »
+4

I disagree that "Nintendo games are never bad". New Super Mario Bros U felt a lot like it was just new levels for a game they did a long time ago. Also, if you want to get a Wii U, i suggest keeping in mind that you are going to need a Wii Remote per player. Some games allow playing with the Wii U gamepad, too. Did i mention New Super Mario Bros U isn't one of them? That game just sucks so much and i hate myself for buying the console with it instead of Mario Kart 8.
Well the issue isn't that New Super Mario Bros U is bad. It's a solid platformer; not as good as Rayman Legends or Super Mario 3-D World, but totally worth playing. It just happens to be the same game as the previous one of those, which was the same as the previous one, which in turn was a nice polished version of a game they've been making for decades.

They have this issue with a lot of their games. Mario Kart 8 is the prettiest most polished Mario Kart ever. They redid a couple Wii levels for it and man they look so much better. But it's the same game, if you have the Wii one or 3DS one you have played it already. Driving on walls really doesn't change much. The sonic thing stops blue shells; I think that's the next most significant thing after the graphics. All these years and finally you can stop that shell. They changed how the karts interact in a nice way, but man, does that really deserve a new number. But if you haven't played a Mario Kart game, well, it's fun. The first DLC was weak but the second one was fine. Man they could have sold me more Pikmin 3 DLC.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: August 06, 2015, 12:02:09 am »

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] 205 206 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.