Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1218037 times)

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #5000 on: July 20, 2015, 03:52:30 pm »
+7

This is the 5000th reply. I wish I had something more meaningful to include here.

And my Post Count is currently at 2222. Lots of fun numeral coincidences happening with this post.

ftfy

Unless someone saw this post and rushed to unlike 795 of Kuildeous' posts! What a jerk.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5001 on: July 20, 2015, 03:55:19 pm »
+4

This is the 5000th reply. I wish I had something more meaningful to include here.

And my Post Count is currently at 2222. Lots of fun numeral coincidences happening with this post.

ftfy

Unless someone saw this post and rushed to unlike 795 of Kuildeous' posts! What a jerk.

I won't confess!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: July 20, 2015, 11:49:14 pm »

I am writing a 2 1/2 page essay due tomorrow, and I have not started at all until now. Here is an excerpt of what I have written so far in it's full legalistic glory:

Dear Mr. Speaker:

My name is _______, and I have taken my pen to write to you in order to display an essay written on the environment and the economy at large in the present day, which will be beneficial towards the House and Congress making decisions in regards to future lawmaking. Given that you are the current residing Speaker of the House of Representatives and that you have much influence and authority within the House, I direct this letter and its contents to your attention.

Let the bullshitting begin.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: July 21, 2015, 12:13:34 am »
+2

I am writing a 2 1/2 page essay due tomorrow, and I have not started at all until now. Here is an excerpt of what I have written so far in it's full legalistic glory:

Dear Mr. Speaker:

My name is _______, and I have taken my pen to write to you in order to display an essay written on the environment and the economy at large in the present day, which will be beneficial towards the House and Congress making decisions in regards to future lawmaking. Given that you are the current residing Speaker of the House of Representatives and that you have much influence and authority within the House, I direct this letter and its contents to your attention.

If I were Speaker of the House, I'd stop reading midway through that paragraph. It shows a total lack of respect for the reader's time.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: July 21, 2015, 12:18:26 am »

Dear Mr. Speaker:

If I were Speaker of the House, I'd stop reading midway through that paragraph. It shows a total lack of respect for the reader's time.

How so? :p
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: July 21, 2015, 12:36:36 am »

Too much fluff, too long for the amount of relevant information, I guess is what LastFootnote is saying. I have no idea how this sort of stuff is graded, or how much padding is half-expected to reach that 2 1/2 page limit, so I don't know if it's that important.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: July 21, 2015, 12:38:08 am »
+1

Too much fluff, too long for the amount of relevant information, I guess is what LastFootnote is saying. I have no idea how this sort of stuff is graded, or how much padding is half-expected to reach that 2 1/2 page limit, so I don't know if it's that important.

Oh, I'll slim it down. I like to write the whole thing big, and then slim it down. Also, I wouldn't actually write like this, I believe in short and concise wording whenever possible in theory.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: July 21, 2015, 01:18:03 am »
+2

That's why I hate length requirements for most assignments.  It trains students to think that the length is what matters, and not the content.  If they get into a habit of writing that way in the real world (or thinking that that's how they're supposed to write), it will make things harder on themselves, and a lot harder on everyone who has to read what they write.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: July 21, 2015, 01:27:52 am »
+1

That's why I hate length requirements for most assignments.  It trains students to think that the length is what matters, and not the content.  If they get into a habit of writing that way in the real world (or thinking that that's how they're supposed to write), it will make things harder on themselves, and a lot harder on everyone who has to read what they write.

I think the laziness factor kicks in later on, and students using their writing skills will inevitably write less filler, but it may still impact their ability to present strong arguments and points.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: July 21, 2015, 01:33:43 am »
+1

I think the laziness factor kicks in later on, and students using their writing skills will inevitably write less filler, but it may still impact their ability to present strong arguments and points.
Seven years out of university, and I still find myself writing unnecessarily wordy sentences (but at least I can now identify it in others' writing, so I can help them out of the habit a little quicker).

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5010 on: July 21, 2015, 01:40:17 am »

Seven years out of university, and I still find myself writing unnecessarily wordy sentences (but at least I can now identify it in others' writing, so I can help them out of the habit a little quicker).

Ah, but you did it less than you did in college?

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: July 21, 2015, 02:36:51 am »
+1

Well now I do, but it's taken me all this time to get there. And that's not even counting the couple of years of uni I wasn't even writing essays.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 02:38:26 am by ConMan »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: July 21, 2015, 03:01:09 am »
+1

There's a secondhand rule I've heard someone else learn in a writing course. First, write something. Then, make it as short as possible. Once you do so, it's still 10% too long - find that 10% and cut it out.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: July 21, 2015, 03:19:10 am »

Didn't Random Stuff II branch off from the original Random Stuff at around this size?
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: July 21, 2015, 03:32:46 am »

Didn't Random Stuff II branch off from the original Random Stuff at around this size?

Do we really need a trilogy?

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: July 21, 2015, 07:28:40 am »

Dear Mr. Speaker:

It may get more attention than you think written exactly the way it is.  It reads a lot like resolutions do.  I think the fluff and puffery is well matched to your audience/recipient.

One correction though - I can't verify where the speaker sleeps, showers, and stores his clothes, but I think you meant "presiding Speaker of the House".
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: July 21, 2015, 09:21:54 am »

We all know how the third movie of a trilogy works out...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: July 21, 2015, 09:46:22 am »
+1

ftfy

YOU BASTARDS! I'LL FIND WHOEVER STOLE MY RESPECT AND MAKE YOU PAY!

Yeah, that's what I'll claim rather than a lame cursory reading of numbers on the left side.
A man has no signature

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: July 21, 2015, 10:04:48 am »

ftfy

YOU BASTARDS! I'LL FIND WHOEVER STOLE MY RESPECT AND MAKE YOU PAY!

Yeah, that's what I'll claim rather than a lame cursory reading of numbers on the left side.

Ah, you are an advocate of nice stories over facts~

Sans Return Of The King ofc.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: July 21, 2015, 11:08:10 am »

Hey, while people have dismissed Superman III, I am firmly of the opinion that it is a thing.
A man has no signature

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: July 21, 2015, 11:20:43 am »

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and Die Hard with a Vengeance are pretty good too! And they are both trilogies, so they count.

Ok, ok, Live Free or Die Hard was actually enjoyable.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 11:22:22 am by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: July 21, 2015, 08:44:40 pm »

So I got to this SMBC comic and it doesn't have a votey.  Nor do the ones that come after, as far as I was willing to check... is it still being updated?  I was under the impression that Zach had caught up already.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: July 21, 2015, 08:49:28 pm »

So I got to this SMBC comic and it doesn't have a votey.  Nor do the ones that come after, as far as I was willing to check... is it still being updated?  I was under the impression that Zach had caught up already.
Yeah I noticed that the voteys stopped at some point when reading some comics at random. It seems he began filling up the voteys from the start onward rather than backwards form date. I don't know if he'll continue to fill up the voteys.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: July 23, 2015, 10:08:38 am »

Retun of the Jedi; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: July 23, 2015, 01:18:14 pm »

Retun of the Jedi; The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

One of those is not an example of a third movie working out well. Return of the King is the movie yuo're looking for.

Also, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Back to the Future III.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.656 seconds with 21 queries.