Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1217845 times)

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #4225 on: May 27, 2015, 01:45:10 pm »
+1

Someone announced that he's an uncle again as his nephew was just born.

I was about to respond jokingly, "Did you stop being an uncle?" But I didn't know him enough to rule out that perhaps he had a sibling whose child died, which would make him no longer an uncle.

Unlikely, but I'm not about to open that door of pain just for a gag.

Good choice, and I applaud your sensitivity. You've made me curious though.

I am not a parent, but it is my belief that you never stop being a parent, once you are one.  If you only had one child, and the child died, are you really no longer a parent?  Similarly, do your brothers really quit being uncles, and your sisters quit being aunts?

On a semi-related note, there was a NC State men's basketball player back in the 70's who was quoted at press conference as saying "my sister is having a baby and I'm waiting to find out if I am an aunt or an uncle".
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 01:47:13 pm by SwitchedFromStarcraft »
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #4226 on: May 27, 2015, 02:37:50 pm »

I am not a parent, but it is my belief that you never stop being a parent, once you are one.  If you only had one child, and the child died, are you really no longer a parent?  Similarly, do your brothers really quit being uncles, and your sisters quit being aunts?

Hard to say. When a child grows up and even dies before the parent, the parent would certainly still claim to be a parent. I suppose the same would be true for uncles.

If you go by the strictest of definitions, then a definition based on another person would no longer apply if that person dies, but that would be a callous thing to say. I would never be so pedantic to say, "Sorry, Bruce Wayne, but you're no longer a son since both your parents died." Mostly because I wouldn't want to get punched.

What bugs me is that there is no gender-neutral term for uncle/aunt. We have parents, children, siblings, grandparents, and great-grandparents, but a mixed group of parents' siblings would be uncles and aunts. A mixed group of siblings' children would be nephews and nieces. I did start referring to my sisters-in-law's children as niephces. I don't think it's going to catch on, though.

Also, why no gender-specific form of cousin?
A man has no signature

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4227 on: May 27, 2015, 02:48:00 pm »
+1

What bugs me is that there is no gender-neutral term for uncle/aunt. We have parents, children, siblings, grandparents, and great-grandparents, but a mixed group of parents' siblings would be uncles and aunts. A mixed group of siblings' children would be nephews and nieces. I did start referring to my sisters-in-law's children as niephces. I don't think it's going to catch on, though.

What bugs me is that there are no gender-specific terms for uncle and uncle. We do in Finnish and it makes translation awkward at times.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #4228 on: May 27, 2015, 03:01:44 pm »
+1

You mean whether you're referring to a man's uncle or woman's uncle?  Why would that be necessary?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4229 on: May 27, 2015, 03:02:45 pm »
+1

A mixed group of siblings' children would be nephews and nieces. I did start referring to my sisters-in-law's children as niephces. I don't think it's going to catch on, though.

The term for that is "niblings," apparently coined in the 50s.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4230 on: May 27, 2015, 03:08:25 pm »

A mixed group of siblings' children would be nephews and nieces. I did start referring to my sisters-in-law's children as niephces. I don't think it's going to catch on, though.

The term for that is "niblings," apparently coined in the 50s.

That is truly awesome. Why has this never reached broader knowledge?
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: May 27, 2015, 03:15:17 pm »
+2

It kind of sounds like something you may want for a midday snack.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4232 on: May 27, 2015, 03:36:24 pm »

You mean whether you're referring to a man's uncle or woman's uncle?  Why would that be necessary?

Obviously the differentiation is made between your mother's brother and your father's brother. I don't think it's necessary.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: May 27, 2015, 03:36:33 pm »
+3

In Cantonese (and almost certainly Mandarin too, but I can't confirm that), there are different terms depending on whether the relative is from your mother's side of the family or your father's side of the family.

On a completely different note,

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: May 27, 2015, 04:04:38 pm »

Obviously the differentiation is made between your mother's brother and your father's brother. I don't think it's necessary.

You could just say maternal or paternal.  There's not one for grandfather   either.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: May 27, 2015, 04:07:53 pm »

I can see it being pretty useful, though. We insert "maternal" or "paternal" when talking about grandparents when it's necessary. I suppose one could say "maternal uncle," though that just sounds funny, and you might as well just say "mother's brother." Having one word could streamline it just a bit.

I'm more bugged by a lack of distinction between the siblings-in-law. If I tell you about my sister-in-law, then am I talking about my wife's sister or my sibling's spouse?

And if I refer to my wife's sister as my sister-in-law, is it appropriate to call her husband my brother-in-law? I think it is, though he's really another step removed from me.
A man has no signature

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: May 27, 2015, 04:13:16 pm »

And if I refer to my wife's sister as my sister-in-law, is it appropriate to call her husband my brother-in-law? I think it is, though he's really another step removed from me.

Brother-in-law-in-law?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4237 on: May 27, 2015, 04:25:29 pm »
+6

I can see it being pretty useful, though. We insert "maternal" or "paternal" when talking about grandparents when it's necessary. I suppose one could say "maternal uncle," though that just sounds funny, and you might as well just say "mother's brother." Having one word could streamline it just a bit.

I'm more bugged by a lack of distinction between the siblings-in-law. If I tell you about my sister-in-law, then am I talking about my wife's sister or my sibling's spouse?
Chinese (and probably some other languages too) distinguishes between all of these family members, which makes communication clearer but also makes learning the language harder.

Yes, but technically you are co-[_]-in-law.  For example rrenaud's sister is my wife, rrenaud is my brother-in-law, and rrenaud's wife is my co-sister-in-law.  Whereas my brother's wife is merely my sister-in-law.  Practically most people aren't aware of this distinction so knowing it is primarily helpful for lecturing people on forums about it and looking like a pedantic ass.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: May 27, 2015, 05:01:27 pm »

Chinese (and probably some other languages too) distinguishes between all of these family members, which makes communication clearer but also makes learning the language harder.

Yes, but technically you are co-[_]-in-law.  For example rrenaud's sister is my wife, rrenaud is my brother-in-law, and rrenaud's wife is my co-sister-in-law.  Whereas my brother's wife is merely my sister-in-law.  Practically most people aren't aware of this distinction so knowing it is primarily helpful for lecturing people on forums about it and looking like a pedantic ass.

Does it come up in legalese?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4239 on: May 27, 2015, 05:49:39 pm »
+1

Possibly?  I don't do that area of law so I wouldn't know.  Knowing lawyers a contract would probably both use "co-sister-in-law" while also having some section that says "CO-SISTER-IN-LAW IS HEREINAFTER DEFINED AS ______"

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: May 27, 2015, 06:47:28 pm »

I was just reading some stuff and came across something implying that some people have to pay to receive texts and phone calls. Is that actually a thing anywhere in the world? It sounds pretty insane if it's true.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4241 on: May 27, 2015, 06:56:45 pm »

I was just reading some stuff and came across something implying that some people have to pay to receive texts and phone calls. Is that actually a thing anywhere in the world? It sounds pretty insane if it's true.

I don't know, I just send texts from home all day, and I'm usually safe that way, since WiFi is awesome.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: May 27, 2015, 07:02:33 pm »

Such plans still exist. I suspect it's for people who don't want or can't afford the higher-priced data plans. For a while, I had a phone plan where I had 150 minutes per month for free. Each minute after that would cost something (7 cents a minute, maybe?). Each text I sent or received was 20 cents. It seems unfair to get charged for unsolicited phone calls or texts, but I imagine it was easy to call the phone carrier and get some of that waived if you can make your case that the phone call was from some politician.

What I don't miss is waiting until 5 PM or even 11 PM for long-distance rates to go down. I wonder if land-lines still have that. I imagine that long-distance charges are less common--at least in America.
A man has no signature

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4243 on: May 27, 2015, 07:06:38 pm »

It's pretty common here that you have to pay for receiving texts and calls while you're abroad.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: May 27, 2015, 07:19:31 pm »

Such plans still exist. I suspect it's for people who don't want or can't afford the higher-priced data plans. For a while, I had a phone plan where I had 150 minutes per month for free. Each minute after that would cost something (7 cents a minute, maybe?). Each text I sent or received was 20 cents. It seems unfair to get charged for unsolicited phone calls or texts, but I imagine it was easy to call the phone carrier and get some of that waived if you can make your case that the phone call was from some politician.

What I don't miss is waiting until 5 PM or even 11 PM for long-distance rates to go down. I wonder if land-lines still have that. I imagine that long-distance charges are less common--at least in America.

Who even calls a company to waive off a 1 minute 7 cent call? That's like that one man/woman everyone's encountered when working a minimum wage job, where you have to bend over backwards just to shave off a couple cents.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #4245 on: May 27, 2015, 07:41:23 pm »
+1

Brother-in-law-in-law?
Personally, I look forward one day to meeting my god-step-birth-father-in-law. I hear he's a nice guy.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4246 on: May 27, 2015, 07:42:37 pm »

I don't know, I just send texts from home all day, and I'm usually safe that way, since WiFi is awesome.

You realize that text messages don't go through WiFi, right?  SMS uses the carrier network.  I truly can't tell if you were being facetious.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #4247 on: May 27, 2015, 07:44:51 pm »

Brother-in-law-in-law?
Personally, I look forward one day to meeting my god-step-birth-father-in-law. I hear he's a nice guy.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #4248 on: May 27, 2015, 08:59:09 pm »
+1

You realize that text messages don't go through WiFi, right?  SMS uses the carrier network.  I truly can't tell if you were being facetious.

Depends on your plan. My dad has a plan whereby he can only send/receive texts over wifi.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #4249 on: May 27, 2015, 11:57:17 pm »

I'm fairly certain in the US it's the norm to pay for phone calls received on a cell phone.  As in, it eats up your minutes.

At least, it was when I lived there.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51
Pages: 1 ... 168 169 [170] 171 172 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 21 queries.