Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1217686 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #4025 on: May 07, 2015, 07:29:02 am »

I tried making one of my j-pop avant-garde metal covers in sync with an MMD dance motion. Also, it's pretty interesting to see how much I've improved as a music producer in just one year.

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #4026 on: May 07, 2015, 07:52:31 am »
+2

Prime III > Prime I >>> Prime II

Prime I > Prime II > Prime III.

Prime I and II are masterpieces of the Gamecube. Prime III is a decent Wii game.

The reason I dislike Prime II so much is that I couldn't get very far on the gamecube version. It was way too hard and I hated having to complete a harder, purpler version of an area I just cleared. When I got Metroid Trilogy, I was actually able to play through the game with the slightly reduced difficulty and much better control scheme. One of the few Nintendo games where I had zero desire to play it ever again after beating the final boss.

The art direction and variety of areas in Prime III was my favorite. Skytown, Elysia was my favorite area by far in the entire trilogy.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: May 07, 2015, 08:03:47 am »
+3

Here's an idea: We can either stop talking about this subject and just accept that we have differing opinions (which isn't going to change either way), or take this somewhere else. PEOPLE ARE STARING ALLREADY !

*stares blankly*
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: May 07, 2015, 08:15:01 am »
+3

[stoplikingwhatidontlikekid.jpg]
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: May 07, 2015, 08:40:54 am »

Something changed in the restroom overnight. I realized that they replaced the divider between the two urinals. The top of the divider went up to my shoulder. Now it's to the top of my head. Not that I look in that direction anyway, but it does seem like overkill to obfuscate the other person entirely.

Then again, one of the directors on this floor stands at like 6'10", so maybe he was getting uncomfortable noticing people's junk over such an inadequate wall.

Or perhaps it just need replacing, and it's all just a coincidence. I didn't get much sleep last night, so who knows what weird topic my brain will cling to today.
A man has no signature

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #4030 on: May 07, 2015, 08:57:03 am »
+9

Aaaaand... F.ds has gone to a land I don't understand.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: May 07, 2015, 09:27:00 am »
+2

Ok, last thing I will say on the subject: Imagine that Link goes all the way up to Ganon's tower, sees Ganondorf, has a nervous breakdown, drops sword and shield, and lets himself be trashed by Ganondorf for a while before Zelda bails him out. Would that be good or bad characterization? It doesn't matter, because it's never going to happen.

The whole reasoning of the writing team behind that scene seems to be "Samus is a woman". There's nothing leading into it or out of it. It's incredibly lazy. Samus had already been given a voice in Fusion, and they had managed to show a more vulnerable side of her in a much better way.

In other news, I would love to have a Metroid take place after Fusion.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4032 on: May 07, 2015, 09:52:13 am »
+2

Ok, last thing I will say on the subject: Imagine that Link goes all the way up to Ganon's tower, sees Ganondorf, has a nervous breakdown, drops sword and shield, and lets himself be trashed by Ganondorf for a while before Zelda bails him out. Would that be good or bad characterization? It doesn't matter, because it's never going to happen.

The whole reasoning of the writing team behind that scene seems to be "Samus is a woman". There's nothing leading into it or out of it. It's incredibly lazy. Samus had already been given a voice in Fusion, and they had managed to show a more vulnerable side of her in a much better way.

I can see how the "Samus is a woman" reasoning is a bad thing. Hmm... Funny, i didn't even think about it that way, before.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: May 07, 2015, 10:03:45 am »
+1

I don't like samus. she moves awkwardly in super smash brothers.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4034 on: May 07, 2015, 10:14:06 am »

Her wavedash is good though, especially her super wavedash (though that's really more for show).  And she has superb recovery on a stage like FD.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #4035 on: May 07, 2015, 10:16:04 am »
+1

Oh, so your position is that she reacted roughly the same way all the previous times, but is not shown due to limitations of the medium? I guess that's internally consistent, so that's fine if you want to interpret it that way.

Still, she is a bounty hunter by trade, and she gets into all these missions because she wants to. She could have been "Oh man, sure killing all those Zebesians and the guy who killed my family was stressful. I'll just buy a house with the bounty and become a space accountant". But she keeps doing this. The "Samus is a hardass" hypothesis seems a bit more likely.

The PTSD wouldn't have bothered me in Zero Mission or Prime, but by Other M her reaction should be more like "I don't know why they keep trying to clone this guy".

Sidenote: the thing in the epilogue of Zero Mission is not Ridley, just a robot shaped like him.
Wrong. YOU ARE SAMUS. The player.

I don't know how many times you personally killed flying reptiles from outer space, but i myself would be rather irritated to be attacked by one.

Samus is a fictional character. Usually she doesn't speak, which is a classic story tool to make identification with the character easier. Mario does it, Link too. It's not even limited to video games. Making the main character "empty" to ease identification is around since forever. So, obviously giving the character a voice will rub some people the wrong way. If Mario or Link suddenly had dialogue, many people would hate it.

I think the real problem is that Prime and Other M interpret the character differently. For Prime she fills out the american ideal of a badass hero who shoots at things. If Samus spoke in Prime, it probably would be schwarzeneggeresque oneliners. Other M on the other hand is a japanese game, with silly japanese fantasy uniforms, and drama, and delicate women in mechanic suits. It's simply another genre. I personally prefer the japan-trash over the ameri-trash, but that's a matter of taste. There's not "one" Samus, and Other M doesn't break yours.

Here's an idea: We can either stop talking about this subject and just accept that we have differing opinions (which isn't going to change either way), or take this somewhere else. PEOPLE ARE STARING ALLREADY !

Nah though. Samus doesn't speak. :) not at all. link doesn't Either. Or Mario. That's not a coincidence. The devs did that on purpose. It's so you insert yourself as the character. Literally everyone talks but you in the games I mentioned. You're going on the adventure. You're talking. It's an awesome technique game developers use.

And who cares if we have different opinions? Is it killing you that much? Relax bro. I have to tell you, those caps were by accident. XD I was rushing to get to work and I didn't have time to fix it. No harm meant. There are things about other M l like a lot.

The story is not one of them. The voice acting is not one of them. "they're coming outta the waaaaalllls!" The whole traitor thing was cool and then it was an anticlimax when you pretty much don't get to fight him or anything, he just gets tossed aside. Adam didn't have to die. The Queen Metroid boss fight where you use the power bomb you've NEVER USED WITHOUT ANY INDICATION is total bullshit. The soundtrack is horrendous, Hollywood cut and paste music compared to the tunes Metroid has always used. The game tries to pass itself as a movie game, which is something Metroid had never done. Samus is a whiny bitch who is a melodramatic emotional drone. She freaks out over Ridely even though she killed him tons of times. The Final Boss where you just shoot M is stupid and not very challenging.
The areas in the game are boring Fire, Ice, Jungle. Look at every Metroid game ever. There's so much biological diversity. But there's nothing on this (small) ship, which also has total short game play. It feels like a 3rd party game, but without any sort of positive element.

There are things I like, but they're small little things like actual gameplay and controls.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: May 07, 2015, 10:17:53 am »
+1

Fusion is one of the most underrated Metroid games ever, and it's one of the best.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: May 07, 2015, 10:20:24 am »

For me, writing a human character is much more fun than writing an unrealistic stereotyped person, male or female, unless it's for satire or something of the sort. I don't get lazy writing :p Other M bugs me so much in that regard.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: May 07, 2015, 10:30:31 am »

I don't like samus. she moves awkwardly in super smash brothers.

My main problem with her is the fact that her Bomb move feels like a wasted slot. It's seemingly okay for keeping an opponent off, but it makes you move unvoluntarily and is goddamn slow. Also her grab. I still play as Samus for nostalgia reasons, especially as i feel nothing for her Zero Suit variant. It's obviously just there for sex appeal.

As we are talking about Smash, i'll take this as an excuse to ask this without necroing the SSB thread: Did anybody of you vote on the Super Smash Bros Ballot, and if yes, for whom? I personally did, and being the loner i am, i played by the rules, voting only once. My vote was for King K Rool from the Donkey Kong Country series.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: May 07, 2015, 10:36:27 am »

Anyone have a 3DS and Smash Bros? I play a mean Mario. :) We can Skype and duel. Sounds fun actually.

Alternately, we can Skype and play Dominion. Both are fun creative pursuits I feel like doing, if anyone is up to it and not at work.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: May 07, 2015, 10:53:58 am »
+2

Also, this.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: May 07, 2015, 12:00:18 pm »

"Thanks for all your help. Want something to drink?"
"No, I'm good."
"Want some Cracker Jacks?"
"Yeah, I'll take some Cracker Jacks."

For some reason the offering of Cracker Jacks just seemed so random, but yet that was the appreciation that was accepted. Weird.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: May 07, 2015, 01:20:45 pm »
+1

That was a fun distraction. There's a barcade just 7 blocks from here, so I was able to go get lunch and play some video games. My muscle memory was still remarkably good for Lethal Enforcers. Glad to know those brain cells didn't go to waste.
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: May 07, 2015, 01:33:12 pm »

I just marked all my 1200 emails in the advertisement section as spam and told google to try to end like 30 subscriptions. good times.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: May 07, 2015, 04:22:32 pm »
+1

"Thanks for all your help. Want something to drink?"
"No, I'm good."
"Want some Cracker Jacks?"
"Yeah, I'll take some Cracker Jacks."

For some reason the offering of Cracker Jacks just seemed so random, but yet that was the appreciation that was accepted. Weird.

I'm going to start doing this, whether or not I actually have Cracker Jacks.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: May 07, 2015, 10:55:09 pm »
+2

Where I work everybody has a Mac, myself included, but my home laptop is a Windows.

I have learned how to systematically scroll in the opposite direction I want to.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: May 07, 2015, 11:25:18 pm »

Where I work everybody has a Mac, myself included, but my home laptop is a Windows.

I have learned how to systematically scroll in the opposite direction I want to.

I'm sure there's a setting on either machine that'll let you make them scroll the same way.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:39:26 pm by eHalcyon »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: May 08, 2015, 11:23:01 am »

I'm sure there's a setting on either machine that'll let you make them scroll the same way.

Yes. When they first implemented the backwards scrolling on OS X, I immediately changed it back.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: May 08, 2015, 11:31:17 am »
+1

I want to start wearing kilts. I hear they're so comfortable, and I wouldn't mind having some ventilation come summertime. But man, kilts online just seem so expensive. Sadly, I have no illusion that they're any cheaper in person. I know a few people through Ren Fest, so I have the means to get in touch with the right person to make one.

But it's not for Scottish heritage or anything like that. I just want a functional kilt.

Then the fun part is seeing how much grief my bosses would give me if I wore a kilt to work.
A man has no signature

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: May 08, 2015, 11:35:46 am »

I want to start wearing kilts. I hear they're so comfortable, and I wouldn't mind having some ventilation come summertime. But man, kilts online just seem so expensive. Sadly, I have no illusion that they're any cheaper in person. I know a few people through Ren Fest, so I have the means to get in touch with the right person to make one.

But it's not for Scottish heritage or anything like that. I just want a functional kilt.

Then the fun part is seeing how much grief my bosses would give me if I wore a kilt to work.

You don't just pay a monetary price.

You pay a social price.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.