Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1217918 times)

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #3950 on: May 04, 2015, 03:28:10 am »
+1

Yeah. I'll be taking 3 levels of Calculus, and then Linear Analysis. I have quite a while to brush up on stuff too (at least a few months). I appreciate hearing your take on it.

I know myself well enough to know that I tend to put things off and possibly engage in wishful thinking (such as that I really haven't gotten rusty). I'm going to get back up to speed ahead of time though. I'll probably even hazard a few questions here if they happen to arise.

I switched from Business to Computer Science. I'm exceedingly happy with the change. It does set me back academically a bit, but there were a lot of compelling reasons to do it.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: May 04, 2015, 09:10:12 am »
+9

Happy Star Trek day everyone! May the fourth be ever in your favour!
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: May 04, 2015, 09:38:09 am »
+1

Man, the internet sure can disappoint. This is nothing new, but it's still annoying to be reminded of that.

I put up a poll on a Facebook group based on a game I play on there. I'll turn it into a Dominion analogy to make it not utterly boring for you guys.

So imagine I wanted some opinions on the best base set cards to buy in a 4/3 split. There are plenty of options, including some I didn't think of (not true in this analogy, but work with me here), so I made it an open poll where people could add their own suggestions. While there were some legitimate entries added, someone goes through adds Witch, Adventurer, Province, and other cards that are not legal. Then of course, some of those suggestions get voted on by others.

Even though I specifically listed the criteria that this was a 4/3 split, some people can't read directions. And I don't even think they're trolling. If they were trolling, then one of the poll options would be "Eat a dick." They just didn't bother to read my question and threw out the coolest card they could think of.

So, up yours, internet.
A man has no signature

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: May 04, 2015, 09:44:57 am »
+3

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: May 04, 2015, 10:03:04 am »

I'm going to strangle you. XD
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: May 04, 2015, 10:06:05 am »
+5

WITH THE FORCE

Darth Vader

• Young Witch
  • You don't know the power of the draw card
  • Respect: +314
    • View Profile
    • Best Site Ever
« Reply #3956 on: May 04, 2015, 10:07:11 am »
+3

WITH THE FORCE

YES

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: May 04, 2015, 10:29:45 am »
+4

So. How quickly do you guys think mathematical knowledge/skills deteriorate?
I'm asking, because I'm changing majors and am having to take a lot more math starting next semester. The highest math course I've taken was Business Calculus 2 years ago, which I got an A in.

There is only one way to find out! Can you answer the following without help?
1) Solve for x.
   a) 4x^3-9x=0
   b) 2x^2+x=-4.
2) What is the sum? (1/4) + (1/4)^2 + (1/4)^3+…
3) You put $100 in a bank account that pays 3% annual interest. How much is the account worth after 10 years if the bank…
   a) compounds annually?
   b) compounds monthly?
   c) compounds continuously?
4) What is the limit...
   a) ... as n approaches infinity? (n+n^2)/(3n^2)
   b) ... as n approaches 0 from the right? n^n
5) What is the derivative with respect to x of x^3*cos(x)?

edit: correction.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:31:17 am by Polk5440 »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: May 04, 2015, 10:42:10 am »
+1

This is, indeed, the only way.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: May 04, 2015, 10:55:22 am »
+2

Wow. I definitely have forgotten a lot. This is exactly the wake up call I needed. It pains me to admit it, but I couldn't solve any of those right now. It's frustrating, without any outside help, I can feel the right methods just out of my reach. For example, I know there was a formula we used for calculating interest (several actually, depending on the specifics)--business calculus emphasized such things. I can't recall if it's the Pe^rt or the other though for your 3a though.

This is good though. Being helpless in the face of stuff I knew 2 years ago isn't as bad as I thought. Really, I feel like I've just lost my knowledge of methods of solving specific problems as opposed to the skills of actually solving the problem if that makes sense. I guess kind of like scott said earlier. This motivates me to get cracking.

edit: grammar
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:56:41 am by Ichimaru Gin »

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #3960 on: May 04, 2015, 11:13:27 am »
+1

Wow. I definitely have forgotten a lot. This is exactly the wake up call I needed. It pains me to admit it, but I couldn't solve any of those right now. It's frustrating, without any outside help, I can feel the right methods just out of my reach. For example, I know there was a formula we used for calculating interest (several actually, depending on the specifics)--business calculus emphasized such things. I can't recall if it's the Pe^rt or the other though for your 3a though.

This is good though. Being helpless in the face of stuff I knew 2 years ago isn't as bad as I thought. Really, I feel like I've just lost my knowledge of methods of solving specific problems as opposed to the skills of actually solving the problem if that makes sense. I guess kind of like scott said earlier. This motivates me to get cracking.

edit: grammar

Good. :) Trying problems is really the only way to identify what you can do. And things like the interest problem, you know what you need to know, so that makes it easier to review.

If you had said, "oh, yeah, no problem," then you would be fine flipping through your old notes the week before class started.

Hints:
1) a) Factor out x. Factor again.
1) b) Quadratic formula. Solution to this one is imaginary (might not have seen this in business calc, but you should be able to apply the quadratic formula).
2) Geometric series.
3) a) and b) the other interest formula.
3) c) Pe^(rt) bonus exercise: where do these formulas come from?
4) a) Simplify and try taking the limit again.
4) b) L'Hospital's Rule.
5) Product Rule.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: May 04, 2015, 12:01:16 pm »

4) b) L'Hospital's Rule.

L'Hopital's*

That one was lim(n->0+) n^n, right?  Because you can only use L'Hopital's rule for indeterminate quotients, and n^n isn't even a quotient...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 04:12:57 pm by sudgy »
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: May 04, 2015, 12:02:50 pm »
+1

4) b) L'Hospital's Rule.

L'Hopital's*

That one was lim(x->0+) n^n, right?  Because you can only use L'Hopital's rule for indeterminate quotients, and n^n isn't even a quotient...

If you knew how n log n behaved as n->0^+, you may be able to deduce the behavior of n^n.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: May 04, 2015, 12:06:58 pm »

Sweet. Those hints helped a lot.

So. Just using your hints. I worked out the first two problems. I feel fairly certain I got them right.
1)a) x= 2/9 , x= -2/9 x=0 , x=±3/2
1)b) x=(1/4) (-1±i√31)

PPEs:  :D
edit: fixed
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 12:58:48 pm by Ichimaru Gin »

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: May 04, 2015, 01:37:40 pm »
+2

This questions are not really the type of math I'd expect to be relevant in Computer Science. It should be much more about designing algorithms and proving their correctness / bounds for their running time, and much less about calculating stuff. Most of the concepts used will probably be new to you and hopefully will be explained.
Something you might wanna refresh is the concept of complete induction. For example, prove that the sum of the first n integers is equal to n*(n+1)/2.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: May 04, 2015, 02:17:33 pm »

This questions are not really the type of math I'd expect to be relevant in Computer Science. It should be much more about designing algorithms and proving their correctness / bounds for their running time, and much less about calculating stuff. Most of the concepts used will probably be new to you and hopefully will be explained.
Something you might wanna refresh is the concept of complete induction. For example, prove that the sum of the first n integers is equal to n*(n+1)/2.
Yeah. I don't find it especially relevant at all, but those are the requirements  :-\.
I just changed my major this semester, so I haven't taken almost any of my core classes for CS yet. I agree with you though, in terms of what math is actually relevant to my major and what I will actually be using after I graduate.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: May 04, 2015, 03:05:48 pm »
+6

Very little math is directly relevant to CS, in that you will very rarely explicitly take an integral or take a limit, but mathematical intuition is much more important than it looks, and the strongest benefit of math is to train a proper mindset. Most important benefit, getting to the point where you assuming anything that could go wrong will.

IMO the core of math is the proofs, and many of the courses you take along the way are meant to be gentle introductions to proof-based classes. Personally, I think the current system takes too long to transition from computation-based to proof-based classes, but that's based on US education and is probably a discussion best left for RSP.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: May 04, 2015, 03:20:55 pm »
+1

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: May 04, 2015, 03:57:36 pm »

Man, the internet sure can disappoint. This is nothing new, but it's still annoying to be reminded of that.

I put up a poll on a Facebook group based on a game I play on there. I'll turn it into a Dominion analogy to make it not utterly boring for you guys.

So imagine I wanted some opinions on the best base set cards to buy in a 4/3 split. There are plenty of options, including some I didn't think of (not true in this analogy, but work with me here), so I made it an open poll where people could add their own suggestions. While there were some legitimate entries added, someone goes through adds Witch, Adventurer, Province, and other cards that are not legal. Then of course, some of those suggestions get voted on by others.

Even though I specifically listed the criteria that this was a 4/3 split, some people can't read directions. And I don't even think they're trolling. If they were trolling, then one of the poll options would be "Eat a dick." They just didn't bother to read my question and threw out the coolest card they could think of.

So, up yours, internet.

What game was it?
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: May 04, 2015, 04:53:37 pm »

does anyone know if there is a way to quickly get the entire content of a thread without losing BBC formatting?

You can go print -> CTRL + A -> Copy, which does almost what I need except that way, well, bolded letters get lost

edit: preferably something without the html tags which you get if you go print -> view source
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 05:06:27 pm by silverspawn »

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: May 04, 2015, 05:12:18 pm »

I would guess there probably isn't I'm afraid. You could probably whip up some kind of program that reverse engineers stuff into BB code, but I think that loses the condition you placed of "quickly".

Also today I learn there's an option to put threads into a print friendly mode.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #3971 on: May 04, 2015, 05:19:19 pm »

does anyone know if there is a way to quickly get the entire content of a thread without losing BBC formatting?

You can go print -> CTRL + A -> Copy, which does almost what I need except that way, well, bolded letters get lost

edit: preferably something without the html tags which you get if you go print -> view source

Does All -> Print and then saving the page not work?
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: May 04, 2015, 05:53:35 pm »

Most important benefit, getting to the point where you assuming anything that could go wrong will.

This is an excellent description of the process of mathematical proof.  Another way to think of it is being sufficiently aware of possibilities that you know when you can't be sure.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #3973 on: May 04, 2015, 06:25:59 pm »

Does All -> Print and then saving the page not work?

ehh yeah that works of course, I wasn't formulating clearly. I need a way to move it into a .txt file without the bbc formating getting lost.

So... I ended up just rewriting my program to recognize the html source code rather than the print format. It wasn't even that much work... and it's actually less code now than it was before.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: May 04, 2015, 06:49:35 pm »
+1

I'm coming to get you.

Too many mushrooms.

Too much swag.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 07:11:53 pm by Seprix »
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.