Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1223956 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #3275 on: March 01, 2015, 02:32:39 am »

My printer is not printing black for some reason.  Ink cartridge is nearly full.  I think I'll need to find some time to try to clean the print head.  Don't really have a clue how to do that; hopefully the internet is sufficient.  Ugh.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: March 01, 2015, 04:27:55 pm »
+2

You have a bigot printer.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: March 01, 2015, 10:24:24 pm »

Internet was helpful, but the process did not actually work.  I think the problem is beyond amateur attempts.  Oh well, the printer is old anyway.  Time for a new one.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: March 03, 2015, 09:39:21 am »

Rats make awesome pets, but they can leave inconvenient scratches on your hands, especially at the wrist where it can hurt when typing. Grr.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: March 03, 2015, 09:40:44 am »

Rats make awesome pets, but they can leave inconvenient scratches on your hands, especially at the wrist where it can hurt when typing. Grr.

Be careful, they multiply. 

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3280 on: March 03, 2015, 10:35:43 am »

That's how they trash Cartographers too.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: March 04, 2015, 09:13:00 am »

Just read through 30+ pages of unread Random Stuff.

Aw, sad AA. She asked me a question about a formula in Excel. I pointed out two errors with it. One being a simple matter of dividing by the wrong line. Then I had to show her how Excel does not store time passed in a format of mm:ss and that when she tried to record 6 minutes and 15 seconds, Excel actually calculates it as 0.26, which totally throws their numbers out of whack.

What's sad is that this report has apparently been in use for a long while. The problem didn't come to light until someone tried to input 24:02, which Excel does not recognize as a legitimate time value. Now she's aware of just how flawed the report is. I bear bad news from Excelland.

I recently battled with Excel as well. Apparently people who had my position have been reporting WAY wrong for like a year. And since I was the one who found out they had, I had to not only correct the Excel sheet, but also redo all the monthly reports... Fun times.

PS4 and games for it was mentioned a couple of times. I still recommend The Last of Us. Probably one of my favorite games of all time.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: March 04, 2015, 10:48:01 am »

I recently battled with Excel as well. Apparently people who had my position have been reporting WAY wrong for like a year. And since I was the one who found out they had, I had to not only correct the Excel sheet, but also redo all the monthly reports... Fun times.

Hmm, it makes me wonder if you can rig up an Excel sheet to accept values that represent time durations without converting it to a ratio to a 24-hour day. My first thought was to report time in terms of how many hours and how many seconds. The problem is that most people just want to enter 2 minutes and 13 seconds as 2:13 and not 2, tab, 13.

I suppose I could rig a cell to be text only and then create a formula from that cell to give a decimal representation of the time. This formula could work: =LEFT(A1, FIND(":", A1, 1)-1)*60 + RIGHT(A1, 2)

But then what if there is a decimal portion? Then I suppose I should go with: =LEFT(A1, FIND(":", A1, 1)-1)*60 + RIGHT(A1, LEN(A1)-FIND(":", A1, 1))

Then there's the need to error-check it, either through validating the original cell's value or including another IF statement in the formula to return a blank value if the cell does not contain a colon, which then opens up other cans of worms if someone types in something weird like 23:1a.87:1
A man has no signature

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: March 04, 2015, 02:41:19 pm »
+1

To tell the truth, I'm really bad with Excel. We had an Office class in school, but that was VERY basic. Also, my problems weren't really related to time. It was just basic sums and stuff. And yet, people did it wrong. Every day I'm amazed at how much people just drone away at work without really thinking.

SwitchedFromStarcraft

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: March 04, 2015, 02:48:47 pm »

... And yet, people did it wrong. Every day I'm amazed at how much people just drone away at work without really thinking.
It is widespread enough to be worrisome.  I saw some unbelievable things working QA in environmental chemistry labs.  Analysts (with 4 year degrees in chemistry) who couldn't verify the math on an instrument's result.  Or couldn't calculate concentrations in units of mass/mass (as opposed to mass/volume).  No one wants to be a subject matter expert anymore, and employers don't expect them to be.
Quote from: Donald X.
Posting begets posting.

Quote from: Asper
Donald X made me a design snob.

There is a sucker born every minute.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #3285 on: March 04, 2015, 02:49:10 pm »

To tell the truth, I'm really bad with Excel. We had an Office class in school, but that was VERY basic. Also, my problems weren't really related to time. It was just basic sums and stuff. And yet, people did it wrong. Every day I'm amazed at how much people just drone away at work without really thinking.

Work harder, not smarter. Less thinking, more working.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: March 04, 2015, 03:00:02 pm »

I have a test, anyone who says they are good with excel are basic users. Because the more you know that Excel does, the more you realise its waaay beyond the normal skillset.

I recently interviewed three people, all said they were experts at excel, none of them got past my question 1, which was basic text to columns!
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: March 04, 2015, 03:02:05 pm »

I have a test, anyone who says they are good with excel are basic users. Because the more you know that Excel does, the more you realise its waaay beyond the normal skillset.

I recently interviewed three people, all said they were experts at excel, none of them got past my question 1, which was basic text to columns!

Text to columns, as in, press one button and go through a bunch of basic options? That one? Yeesh.

I certainly wouldn't say I'm an expert in Excel, but I know more than the average Joe for sure. I do only know some very basic VB though.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: March 04, 2015, 03:10:11 pm »

Text to columns, as in, press one button and go through a bunch of basic options? That one? Yeesh.

I certainly wouldn't say I'm an expert in Excel, but I know more than the average Joe for sure. I do only know some very basic VB though.

The sad part is. If you know how to do tha very basics. You know more than the average swede. People here DOES NOT EXCEL! I'm a wizard at Excel to most of the people I meet. Every once in a while, I get to meet someone who actually knows something about the application and they REALLY outshine me when it comes to that.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: March 04, 2015, 04:16:21 pm »
+1

I was actually somewhat disappointed when I prepped for the Excel expert certification. I was familiarizing myself with LOOKUPs, INDEXes, and FINDs. I wasn't even asked about a single LEFT or SUMIF. Expert certification did ensure that I knew how to make a PivotTable. Fuck, I don't even use PivotTables in the wild.

And moving on from Excel woes to Word woes, it's difficult being one who respects consistencies in Word templates and working with people who are a) not that good at using Word and b) not interested in maintaining internal consistencies. Why even bother building a Word template to keep things consistent? Let's just roam around an electronic wasteland flinging different fonts and paragraph spacings like Mad Max villains.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: March 04, 2015, 04:45:13 pm »
+2

Why even bother building a Word template to keep things consistent? Let's just roam around an electronic wasteland flinging different fonts and paragraph spacings like Mad Max villains.

Speaking of which, don't you hate it when people use Comic Sans for things that are supposed to be professional?  I recently discovered this wonderful new font that makes everything much classier.  It's called Papyrus.  We should all use that instead!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: March 04, 2015, 04:49:16 pm »

So I looked it up to see if Text to Columns is what I thought it was, and it is readily deducible just from the name... but why would you ever want to use that??
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: March 04, 2015, 05:09:59 pm »

So I looked it up to see if Text to Columns is what I thought it was, and it is readily deducible just from the name... but why would you ever want to use that??

I actually use it pretty often (like, maybe about 5-10 times per year), generally for grabbing data from a table on a website and putting it into an excel document or something similar to that.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: March 04, 2015, 05:45:01 pm »
+1

Why even bother building a Word template to keep things consistent? Let's just roam around an electronic wasteland flinging different fonts and paragraph spacings like Mad Max villains.

Speaking of which, don't you hate it when people use Comic Sans for things that are supposed to be professional?  I recently discovered this wonderful new font that makes everything much classier.  It's called Papyrus.  We should all use that instead!

Fortunately, font type is always consistent. Our brand standards state that everything must be in Verdana. Yep, including headings and captions. So very bland. But at least we don't have 20 font types floating around.

Heh, my favorite today was helping someone fix a heading of "10 Reasons..." I forget what it was, but it was a top 10. However, the heading had a number style, so when I fixed the style to be Normal, the 10 went away because it was automatic numbering. I really hate some of the shortcuts people use in Word. You can create such great documents that are neat, but some people don't realize that tab characters are and indent by pressing spacebar a bunch of times. Ouch.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: March 04, 2015, 05:46:33 pm »

... you make documents in Word?  *shudders*

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: March 04, 2015, 09:57:06 pm »

I actually use it pretty often (like, maybe about 5-10 times per year), generally for grabbing data from a table on a website and putting it into an excel document or something similar to that.

I use text-to-column for a weekly report that I do for work.  But I wouldn't have been able to tell you anything about it until after I was shown how to use it.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: March 04, 2015, 09:58:18 pm »
+1

... you make documents in Word?  *shudders*

yeah.....I wish I could just LaTeX everything.  But no one seems to know what I am talking about.....
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #3297 on: March 04, 2015, 11:08:00 pm »

I'm the Excel "expert" at work. The other guys use a calculator to add up receipts before entering the value they need.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: March 05, 2015, 12:58:10 am »
+7

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: March 05, 2015, 05:44:24 am »
+2

You know what I hate more than stupid fonts?

People who have background pictures and colours on their work emails.

If I have a client email me and their background is pink, or they have some life affirming quote in their signature, they automatically get rated as not important in my brain, cant help it.

And I work with big companies, this isnt some small time store owner.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.