Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1217892 times)

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #1850 on: November 13, 2014, 08:02:13 pm »
+4

Usually, a not so big amount of alcohol would do it.

Something I was just learning in Driver's Ed, is that alcohol affects judgment instantly.

Never trust Driver's Ed.

Why not?

Because that's not true. At least if we're talking about the chemical effects of alcohol on the brain.* Ingestion is one of the slowest drug uptake methods. Alcohol doesn't have to get digested, but most of it is diffused through the small intestine into your blood stream and that takes some time (though not a ton). The alcohol doesn't get down into your stomach and small intestine, through the lining into your blood stream, and into your brain instantly. Rates of absorption vary, depending on how much and what you've eaten, the concentration of the alcohol, and whether you've drunk carbonated beverages, but it usually takes around five minutes to get into your bloodstream at all and half an hour or more to fully absorb.

In general I would trust very little you hear in drivers ed regarding anything remotely scientific. You should probably believe them on what traffic signs mean, but not much else.

*People may very well start acting stupid immediately after drinking just because "Wheeeee, shots!" but that is just a placebo effect and is not really due to the alcohol.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: November 13, 2014, 08:06:34 pm »

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: November 13, 2014, 08:14:48 pm »

Usually, a not so big amount of alcohol would do it.

Something I was just learning in Driver's Ed, is that alcohol affects judgment instantly.

Never trust Driver's Ed.

Why not?

Because that's not true. At least if we're talking about the chemical effects of alcohol on the brain.* Ingestion is one of the slowest drug uptake methods. Alcohol doesn't have to get digested, but most of it is diffused through the small intestine into your blood stream and that takes some time (though not a ton). The alcohol doesn't get down into your stomach and small intestine, through the lining into your blood stream, and into your brain instantly. Rates of absorption vary, depending on how much and what you've eaten, the concentration of the alcohol, and whether you've drunk carbonated beverages, but it usually takes around five minutes to get into your bloodstream at all and half an hour or more to fully absorb.

In general I would trust very little you hear in drivers ed regarding anything remotely scientific. You should probably believe them on what traffic signs mean, but not much else.

*People may very well start acting stupid immediately after drinking just because "Wheeeee, shots!" but that is just a placebo effect and is not really due to the alcohol.

My point was actually the "affects judgment first" not "instantly".

And, most of the class was "this is good driving technique" not "this is what traffic signs mean" or "this is scientific stuff" (other than lots of statistics).

Also, regarding scientific stuff, I'm always very wary of accepting anything people say in regards to science, figuring things out for myself first.  Alcohol affecting judgment first makes sense, so I think that's right, but I still prefaced it with "Driver's Ed said this".

They did at one point say that kinetic energy is 0.5 * mass * velocity one time...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: November 13, 2014, 08:21:54 pm »
+4

Alcohol affects judgement first... compared to what?  I mean, my personal ethics affect my judgement before alcohol.  And alcohol probably affects my wallet before my judgement.

Also, "first" and "instantly" have vastly different meanings. :P

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1854 on: November 14, 2014, 09:55:42 am »
+5

Alcohol affects judgement first... compared to what?  I mean, my personal ethics affect my judgement before alcohol.  And alcohol probably affects my wallet before my judgement.

Also, "first" and "instantly" have vastly different meanings. :P

Yeah, I agree.  I didn't start drinking until I was 29, and I pretty quickly learned that everything people told me about alcohol is basically wrong.  Yeah, if you drink a lot you feel dizzy and it's hard to walk straight.  But you don't really want to drink a lot.

I never drank before because I would see people drink and act stupid, and I would think "I don't want to be stupid."  But then  I realized, alcohol doesn't make people stupid---they're just stupid people.  Alcohol maybe makes it easier for their stupidity to show.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: November 14, 2014, 11:53:36 am »

In my mandatory driver education lesson here in Argentina I learned all the details about the laws, but the guy was mostly interested in telling us repeatedly that train crossings are extremely dangerous and not be messed with. That seems fine, considering how awful traffic and accident stats are here.

Regarding science stuff, he did say (and I found out later it was true) that the speed limits in highways here (130 km/h) are not bound by the quality of cars, drivers or wheels, but by the quality of the asphalt. I guess Germany's asphalt is awesome, right?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: November 14, 2014, 12:07:01 pm »

In my mandatory driver education lesson here in Argentina I learned all the details about the laws, but the guy was mostly interested in telling us repeatedly that train crossings are extremely dangerous and not be messed with. That seems fine, considering how awful traffic and accident stats are here.

Regarding science stuff, he did say (and I found out later it was true) that the speed limits in highways here (130 km/h) are not bound by the quality of cars, drivers or wheels, but by the quality of the asphalt. I guess Germany's asphalt is awesome, right?

Speed limits in the US were originally enforced to save fuel, according to my high school history teacher.

Edit: Wikipedia agrees:

In response to the 1973 oil crisis, Congress enacted the National Maximum Speed Law that created the universal 55 miles per hour (89 km/h) speed limit. Whether this reduced gasoline consumption is debated and the impact on safety is unclear; studies and opinions of safety advocates are mixed.

The law was widely disregarded by motorists, even after the national maximum was increased to 65 miles per hour (105 km/h) on certain roads in 1987 and 1988. In 1995, the law was repealed, returning the choice of speed limit to each state.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 12:08:05 pm by Witherweaver »

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #1857 on: November 14, 2014, 12:08:59 pm »

The 55mph highway speed limit was enforced to save fuel in the 70s.

Edit: it seems you found that out before I told you so.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 12:10:04 pm by enfynet »
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: November 14, 2014, 12:27:44 pm »

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: November 14, 2014, 12:43:01 pm »
+2

I've heard it said that US interstates are designed to accommodate the landing of an airplane and to be safe at speeds of 100 mph. I can attest to the latter but nit the former.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: November 14, 2014, 12:53:24 pm »

Is there a reason why US speed limits are still so slow or is it just political inertia?

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #1861 on: November 14, 2014, 01:13:49 pm »
+3

Slower speed limits cause people to drive slower, which saves fuel + lives.  The same road at 55mph will lead to people driving at 60-70mph, but raising it to 65mph will lead to people driving at 70-80mph.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: November 14, 2014, 01:16:03 pm »

Slower speed limits cause people to drive slower, which saves fuel + lives.  The same road at 55mph will lead to people driving at 60-70mph, but raising it to 65mph will lead to people driving at 70-80mph.

I'm not completely convinced of this.  Differences in speed is a big factor, too. 

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #1863 on: November 14, 2014, 01:19:32 pm »
+1

Someone going 50mph on a highway has very different results when the speed limit is 60mph than when it is 80mph.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: November 14, 2014, 01:42:25 pm »

At higher speeds, though, I don't know if this happens as much.  I was driving on a freeway once where the speed limit started at 55 mph, everybody was zooming by me, but later when it was 70 mph I was moving along with most of the traffic.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #1865 on: November 14, 2014, 02:33:30 pm »

Given a reaction time of 0.5s, at 60mph you will have travelled 44ft and at 80mph nearly 15ft further.

Factor in visibility in the area: hills, curves, etc. Probability of road hazards: animals, pedestrians, debris, etc. And volume of traffic until you have a good basis for what a reasonable speed should be.

Factors that are outside the equation are road conditions, driver skill, distractions, and vehicle capabilities.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: November 14, 2014, 04:21:56 pm »

I've heard it said that US interstates are designed to accommodate the landing of an airplane and to be safe at speeds of 100 mph. I can attest to the latter but nit the former.

The first one is an old, old legend.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/airstrip.asp
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: November 14, 2014, 04:35:39 pm »

The first one is an old, old legend.

http://www.snopes.com/autos/law/airstrip.asp

Cool, never heard the 1:5 bit nor the notion it was for military purposes, both of which do add absurdity to the myth. The idea that any commercial or private plane in distress could land if needed is more believable. Also, it should be noted that there is that kernel of truth that at least explains why the myth exists.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: November 14, 2014, 05:04:53 pm »
+3

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet...

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: November 14, 2014, 05:23:28 pm »
+3

...is how Montana speed limit signs looked between 1995-1999, after federal speed limits were abolished. With this policy, traffic accidents were at a modern low. The average vehicle speed didn't increase much, but the attitude of the drivers towards safety improved. No worries about outrageous traffic cops who will ticket you not because you were traveling at an unsafe speed, but because the county government needs money. And then when the speed limits were reinstituted in 1999, the accident rate more than doubled.

Counterpoint: Montana is a wide open space with nothing to hit, and the number of accidents over this time period is statistically small. Accident rates might be expected to increase due to confusion after such a drastic reversion in 1999.

Countercounterpoint: Most states increased the speed limit after the 55 mph limit was abolished, and in general accident rates decreased or stayed constant, contrary to doomsayers' predictions.

I'm not really sure if this is accurate, but I've heard that modern engines actually perform more efficiently at >55 mph, and so the fuel saving argument is also not necessarily valid.

So basically, bring on the autobahn. Also, the advent of self-driving cars may necessitate a complete overhaul of traffic law and infrastructure, so all this may be irrelevant in the near future.

Massive bias warning: I have few statistics to back up my claims. I hate speed limits. I hate cops. I had to wake up at 6 AM to drive to traffic court two weeks ago. Bah humbug.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: November 14, 2014, 05:45:52 pm »

It all depends on the road. Grade-separated highway/freeway/I-know-those-are-different-things-but-nobody-in-American-knows-the-difference-including-me, go nuts. City streets, 20 MPH would be great (many are 35 MPH). Twisting country road, it's probably not safe to go over 55 MPH at any point.

I grew up in "twisting country road" country, and it drove me crazy that drivers didn't like me doing 45 MPH at night, which was about the fastest that was safe, when the speed limit was 55 MPH.

Now that I live in a city, I want to scream when I see people driving 35 MPH (technically only 5 MPH over). It's so wantonly reckless.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: November 14, 2014, 07:48:03 pm »

Joseph2302 doesn't want me to tell you all that this hidden piece of information which does actually exist, but I'm keeping hidden, which is something I realised a while ago. He's been using it to this sentence doesn't end properly on Goko, particularly when people are streaming. I think I probably should also mention I'm talking about his novelty account IsotropicWasBetter - what, did you think I really wasn't going to tell you what this was about? I'm far too much of a dick to Joseph for that.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

IsotropicWasBetter

• Scout
  • "Goko is the Best"- said no-one ever
  • Respect: +119
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: November 14, 2014, 08:20:22 pm »
+1

Joseph2302 doesn't want me to tell you all that this hidden piece of information which does actually exist, but I'm keeping hidden, which is something I realised a while ago. He's been using it to this sentence doesn't end properly on Goko, particularly when people are streaming. I think I probably should also mention I'm talking about his novelty account IsotropicWasBetter - what, did you think I really wasn't going to tell you what this was about? I'm far too much of a dick to Joseph for that.

Clearly Tables is looking for his 5 minutes of fame, after trying to be a troll, and being massively upstaged by me. And theres a dynamic relationship between Tables and Joseph2302 which is clear, so of course Tables would accuse Joseph, if it could give him some fame. I'm tempted to sue for defamation of character.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: November 14, 2014, 09:40:38 pm »
+4

Source: http://www.picturesinboxes.com/2014/08/24/dangerous/ 

They're all pretty good.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: November 15, 2014, 12:07:24 am »
+2

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet...

The roses are bacon, FYI.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 21 queries.