Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1217947 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #1000 on: October 08, 2014, 02:27:01 pm »
+6

Take list of all cards.  Remove cards you don't want to write.  Remove cards that already have articles.  Add back those cards where you think the articles are outdated, or could be improved a lot, or you just have a lot to add.  Then select your favourites from that list and put those in the poll.

the idea is not bad, except I have to read over 200 articles to see which ones are outdated. that's kind of exactly what I wanted to avoid by asking people.

also, I have the feeling that if I do something like that, people would inevitably just vote for Prince anyway. Maybe I should just do prince?

Well after you decide what card to do, you should then write an article about the how to decide what card to write an article about.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: October 08, 2014, 02:31:59 pm »

Take list of all cards.  Remove cards you don't want to write.  Remove cards that already have articles.  Add back those cards where you think the articles are outdated, or could be improved a lot, or you just have a lot to add.  Then select your favourites from that list and put those in the poll.

the idea is not bad, except I have to read over 200 articles to see which ones are outdated. that's kind of exactly what I wanted to avoid by asking people.

also, I have the feeling that if I do something like that, people would inevitably just vote for Prince anyway. Maybe I should just do prince?

Mm, fair enough.  You could reverse the order.  Pick your favourites, then check to see which have good articles already.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: October 08, 2014, 02:33:32 pm »

oookay screw this. I'll make a list here:

Prince, Scout, Island, Lookout

whoever reads this can add as many cards to that as he wants (as long as they're not this list), and I'll put those in the poll. that's basically the exact thing that I wanted to do all along, except this way it's much more casual.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 03:12:22 am by silverspawn »

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: October 08, 2014, 02:36:34 pm »
+1

It's interesting that you think it's not a question of skill, I think it probably is. at least part of it.

The reason I say that is because I think it is important for anyone with the desire to write an article to feel free to do so.  The biggest thing to understand is that we will critique the article as a community, so the more skillful you are, the fewer "negative" comments you will get.  So if you don't have thick skin, and aren't that good, I wouldn't recommend writing an article.   However, if you can take constructive criticism, there is a lot you can learn by putting everything you know about a card down in writing, then getting critiques, improving your original article, and learning a bunch from it.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: October 08, 2014, 02:41:49 pm »
+3

so the more skillful you are, the fewer "negative" comments you will get

I actually think being really thorough in both what to include and how to express it are more important than being really good at the game. I feel that after some level of play, which is not that high, what can be taught in something as broad as a single card article is really little.

This should be no surprise, as a similar thing happens with science: you do need to be a bit good to teach advanced classes, but after some point, which is not that high, how well you prepare and how good you are at communication is a much bigger deal than whether you are Nobel-prize/Fields-medal/Turing-award level or just a decent researcher a couple of years after getting your PhD. And at the same time, even shortly after your PhD, is really little what you can still learn from general books (of your own field), and you need to start talking to people and attending specific seminars.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: October 08, 2014, 02:51:32 pm »

I found some two-dimensional Braille. Someone printed a sign on typical paper and posted it on the wall. It has the dots for Braille, but it's completely flat.

I feel like I should be outraged, but I'm overcome by the absurdity of it.

I work with a blind (legally, he has some very limited sight) guy and he said this happens fairly regularly. It's... amazing.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: October 08, 2014, 02:54:53 pm »

I found some two-dimensional Braille. Someone printed a sign on typical paper and posted it on the wall. It has the dots for Braille, but it's completely flat.

I work with a blind (legally, he has some very limited sight) guy and he said this happens fairly regularly. It's... amazing.

Lazy blind people.  They should just learn to read 2D Braille. 

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: October 08, 2014, 02:59:29 pm »
+5

If its printed, it's not really 2D. Maybe with a magnifying glass they can perceive the small change in texture.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: October 08, 2014, 03:00:14 pm »

It's interesting that you think it's not a question of skill, I think it probably is. at least part of it.

The reason I say that is because I think it is important for anyone with the desire to write an article to feel free to do so.  The biggest thing to understand is that we will critique the article as a community, so the more skillful you are, the fewer "negative" comments you will get.  So if you don't have thick skin, and aren't that good, I wouldn't recommend writing an article.   However, if you can take constructive criticism, there is a lot you can learn by putting everything you know about a card down in writing, then getting critiques, improving your original article, and learning a bunch from it.

Do you mean good in that context as in good at the game or as in good at writing articles?

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: October 08, 2014, 03:02:06 pm »

Do you mean good in that context as in good at the game or as in good at writing articles?

good at the game.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: October 08, 2014, 03:09:41 pm »
+1

One of my friends took the effort to translate what's actually on the sheet. I don't know braille, but I do have a book at home that I briefly looked at, and something did seem wrong. My friend confirmed (and I should have noticed just by the pattern) that the braille on the sheet just reads OVERY over and over again. It has nothing to do with the text on the sign.

So the conjecture is now that the sign is just to act as a placeholder for an expensive sign, and the braille template is there just as a reminder that this sign will have braille (not sure if there's a height expectation for signs in braille). At least that's what I hoping for because, as jaded as I generally can be, I cannot believe that someone would copy and paste five characters and expect it to pass as braille when printed on ordinary paper.

But your co-worker's statement does make me cringe.
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: October 08, 2014, 03:10:46 pm »

I'm confused. but in any case, I have a very thick skin. It's not like this is the first thing I've done that will receive harsh criticism, I mean I've written guides, music reviews, fanfiction, made a dominion expansion and I'm even trying a mafia setup. and for a forum, this site has really considerate users. so, I'm not concerned about harsh feedback.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1012 on: October 08, 2014, 03:35:50 pm »
+4

Prince, Scout

whoever reads this can add as many cards to that as he wants (as long as they're not this list), and I'll put those in the poll. that's basically the exact thing that I wanted to do all along, except this way it's much more casual.
Island.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: October 08, 2014, 03:55:43 pm »
+3

I'm confused. but in any case, I have a very thick skin. It's not like this is the first thing I've done that will receive harsh criticism, I mean I've written guides, music reviews, fanfiction, made a dominion expansion and I'm even trying a mafia setup. and for a forum, this site has really considerate users. so, I'm not concerned about harsh feedback.

We even dissected your Facebook love life at one point.

Man, we get really personal sometimes.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: October 08, 2014, 03:57:11 pm »

We even dissected your Facebook love life at one point.

Man, we get really personal sometimes.

Did she ever accept the friend request?  Or was it just a message?

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #1015 on: October 08, 2014, 04:10:43 pm »
+2

My "friend" accepted my friend request, after I invited her to lunch.

Somehow, lunch took 3 hours that day...
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: October 08, 2014, 04:12:12 pm »
+1

Prince, Scout

Island.

or Lookout.

Seriously. There was a "light trashers" article started, but I think some of the individual light trasher articles could be updated/rewritten.

Prince is a safe bet, too, since it's the newest card.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1017 on: October 08, 2014, 04:14:07 pm »
+2

Prince, Scout

Island.

or Lookout.

But silverspawn doesn't want to share what he knows about Lookout with the community.  :P
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: October 08, 2014, 04:43:08 pm »
+5

"morbid humor" sounds like "more bid, who more", and an auctioneer would like people bidding more.
It was only supposed to be "more bid humor" but I like seeing how the joke is evolving without my presence.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: October 08, 2014, 04:46:39 pm »

One of my friends took the effort to translate what's actually on the sheet. I don't know braille, but I do have a book at home that I briefly looked at, and something did seem wrong. My friend confirmed (and I should have noticed just by the pattern) that the braille on the sheet just reads OVERY over and over again. It has nothing to do with the text on the sign.

So the conjecture is now that the sign is just to act as a placeholder for an expensive sign, and the braille template is there just as a reminder that this sign will have braille (not sure if there's a height expectation for signs in braille). At least that's what I hoping for because, as jaded as I generally can be, I cannot believe that someone would copy and paste five characters and expect it to pass as braille when printed on ordinary paper.

But your co-worker's statement does make me cringe.

He's a school pupil, actually, not a co-worker (I can see how you'd make that mistake from my wording though). I spend a lot of my time working with him because I'm the best mathematician among the TAs.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: October 08, 2014, 05:06:42 pm »
+2

He's a school pupil, actually, not a co-worker (I can see how you'd make that mistake from my wording though). I spend a lot of my time working with him because I'm the best mathematician among the TAs.

How many Twistedarchers are there?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #1021 on: October 08, 2014, 05:43:15 pm »
+5

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: October 08, 2014, 05:50:37 pm »

Is that a street near you? They need better drainage...

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: October 08, 2014, 05:51:24 pm »

I want to see the Polk man fly!
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: October 08, 2014, 07:16:28 pm »

I knew about the lunar eclipse last night, but I didn't realize it'd still be happening at 6:45 this morning. So that was cool.

I had only seen a lunar eclipse once, and I stayed up late for it (confession: It was in college so I was awake that late anyway). I didn't bother with all the other lunar eclipses since then.

Aw, why didn't someone mention this in advance? I did not know but would have gotten up early.

...Sorry?

I guess I just assume that anyone who engages with the internete extent that people on a large forum do, and who is interested in science, keeps track of at least one, but likely more, places that would mention it.  Reminders started showing up in my Facebook feed over a week ago.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.