Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1217839 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #875 on: October 05, 2014, 01:00:02 am »

Hey, I actually did semi-okay in a programming competition! Not super good, just barely into ~top third of participants at my school, but that was good enough to win a duffel bag with Google's logo on it.

When was this? It is possible that I wrote the problems.

Today. I don't think it's likely you wrote the problems, unless you happen to be the professor who wrote the contest.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: October 05, 2014, 01:48:05 am »

In a kingdom with only hermit, market square, and apprentice, I would ignore apprentice. If there are 7 other cards, more often than not I still ignore apprentice, but not always.

I'll do a bunch of single player games later today and see which is faster. though it's probably more accurate to race for 4 provinces, not 8.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: October 05, 2014, 01:56:55 am »

In a kingdom with only hermit, market square, and apprentice, I would ignore apprentice. If there are 7 other cards, more often than not I still ignore apprentice, but not always.

I'll do a bunch of single player games later today and see which is faster. though it's probably more accurate to race for 4 provinces, not 8.

Keep in mind that in a matchup, both people want market squares.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: October 05, 2014, 02:14:26 am »

Keep in mind that in a matchup, both people want market squares.

that doesn't matter though, you don't need more than 3 market squares for the combo with apprentice. more don't hurt, but don't add much either.

with hermit, you probably want more, but I doubt that you want more than 7.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #879 on: October 05, 2014, 02:14:37 am »

Hermit/Market Square's speed is usually highly dependent on the opponent's speed, though; you can get 9 Hermits and a million Market Squares if your opponent is slow to guarantee that your attempt to go off won't fail and that you will have enough money and buys to win the game, but if you're in a pinch, you can pull it off with as few as 4 Hermits in a very short amount of time (especially if the piles are low and you can 3-pile instead of having to rely on Provinces).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: October 05, 2014, 04:26:23 am »
+1

okay... it's not that clear cut, but I believe hermit/MS is actually slightly better. but mostly apprentice/MS is just more swingy. I think with perfect draws it's better, but you often get random dead turns in between. it's hard to say. but hermit seems better on average. so, props to the article.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: October 05, 2014, 07:06:36 am »
+1

How do the controls on 3DS compare to console? I've never played it on my own time so I always just ended up button smashing with friends. I'm seriously considering getting the 3DS version just so I don't embarrass myself in the future.

The big difference, in my opinion, is the 3DS control stick. It's very different from that of a GC, Classic Controller or a Nunchuck. Or even an N64 one. It took me some time getting used to it, but now I rarely do a forward B when I intend to do up B. Aside from that, I did have the same problem as Sudgy (attacking instead of jumping) but that was very easy to get used to.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: October 05, 2014, 11:28:49 am »

Today. I don't think it's likely you wrote the problems, unless you happen to be the professor who wrote the contest.

:). I used to write lots of problems for some programming contests Google ran on colleges like 4 or 5 years ago.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #883 on: October 05, 2014, 03:15:38 pm »

I was bored so I designed a maze.

I'm still a newbie at this. Any comments?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #884 on: October 05, 2014, 03:28:09 pm »
+5

I'm not letting you design my dreams.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: October 05, 2014, 03:30:53 pm »

and breaking the walls of my rational maze

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: October 05, 2014, 07:23:31 pm »
+2

This is what I've been working on recently:

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: October 05, 2014, 07:26:50 pm »

Do the colours mean anything?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: October 05, 2014, 08:00:40 pm »

Do the colours mean anything?

...Yes.  It's a four dimensional Rubik's Cube.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: October 05, 2014, 08:10:58 pm »

Does it not show the eighth cell?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: October 05, 2014, 08:15:19 pm »

Does it not show the eighth cell?

No, it doesn't.  You can rotate it so it shows it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: October 05, 2014, 08:38:41 pm »

How do the controls on 3DS compare to console? I've never played it on my own time so I always just ended up button smashing with friends. I'm seriously considering getting the 3DS version just so I don't embarrass myself in the future.

The big difference, in my opinion, is the 3DS control stick. It's very different from that of a GC, Classic Controller or a Nunchuck. Or even an N64 one. It took me some time getting used to it, but now I rarely do a forward B when I intend to do up B. Aside from that, I did have the same problem as Sudgy (attacking instead of jumping) but that was very easy to get used to.

Did they flip the buttons for attacking and jumping?

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: October 05, 2014, 08:46:24 pm »
+1

3DS button layout is different from the typical Smash bros. (Gamecube controller) layout.  Same named button does the same things, but they aren't quite in the same place.  I had issues with this too when I played the demo on my friend's 3DS

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: October 05, 2014, 08:57:02 pm »

Is there a way to change the input?
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: October 05, 2014, 11:49:28 pm »
+6

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: October 06, 2014, 12:17:16 am »

Wow, that brings back memories!
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: October 06, 2014, 01:42:03 am »

3DS button layout is different from the typical Smash bros. (Gamecube controller) layout.  Same named button does the same things, but they aren't quite in the same place.  I had issues with this too when I played the demo on my friend's 3DS

It's interesting that so many people are having trouble with this; I didn't even think about it and was automatically pressing the right buttons for jumping/attacking.  Maybe it's a difference between people who are used to Y-jumping on the GC controller and people who are used to X?  (I usually used X in Brawl/Melee.)

What I found disorienting was L to grab; I'm used to using R to shield and Z to grab on the GC controller, so I want that finger to do both.  I set Y to grab instead (since I can't have R grab and shield), which I like better than L, though I'm probably in the minority on that.

Is there a way to change the input?

Yeah, controls are customizable like in Brawl.  It feels like there's less flexibility though, probably because there are fewer buttons/sticks on the 3DS than the GC controller (well, I guess just one fewer button and one fewer stick, but the absence of the C-stick is a big difference I think).

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: October 06, 2014, 08:44:42 am »
+1

i just replayed the campaign of sc1 + bw. will blizzard ever make something that's anywhere near as good as this game?

the answer is no.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: October 06, 2014, 08:57:19 am »

Especially since you can't play SC2 without an internet connection.

So I'm definitely hanging onto my copy of SC1. Next internet outage, I may boot it back up.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: October 06, 2014, 09:34:41 am »

I saw Hair over the weekend. I'm not sure that I'm that impressed by it. The music was good, and the production value was extraordinary. I guess I just expected more of a plot. It reminds me of Cats where the story takes a back seat to song and dance.

But we don't get enough naked hippies on stage, so that was fun too.
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.