Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1218076 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #800 on: October 02, 2014, 11:03:13 am »

I'm enjoying watching Caprica more than I expected. I was uncertain about the pilot when it seemed more like a Gilmore Girls episode (as I assume GG is like). But it picked up in the second hour and poses some interesting questions…nothing new in the world of sci-fi, but it's nice to see it done in a manner accessible to the hoi polloi.

It is kind of weird to think of this great genocidal powerful robot race starting off as a teenaged girl, though.

I'm only 5 episodes in. I am aware the show didn't make it past the first season, and I'm kind of afraid to see what may have caused that. Then again, Firefly was canceled after one season so we already know that's not a standard to judge a show.

I forget this was a Sci-Fi Channel (or SyFy) original. Effects have their cheesy moments, but it definitely harkens back to the days when SyFy actually cared about sci-fi.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 02, 2014, 11:25:11 am »

I was uncertain about the pilot when it seemed more like a Gilmore Girls episode (as I assume GG is like).

I'm interested to hear what you assume Gilmore Girls is like...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 02, 2014, 11:27:48 am »
+1

I was uncertain about the pilot when it seemed more like a Gilmore Girls episode (as I assume GG is like).

Lorelai was a Cylon.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: October 02, 2014, 11:35:15 am »

No wait, Dawson's Creek. I get those two shows confused. They came out roughly at the same time, and I never saw either of them, so they are forever conflated in my mind as similar shows, regardless of what their content is.
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3190
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: October 02, 2014, 11:52:29 am »
+5

this just popped up while I was reading

“Platinum?!  Pffft!  More like fool's gold!”  Trixie folded her forelimbs and frowned over the counter of her shack at the top of the quarry.

I don't think this was an intended reference, but...

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: October 02, 2014, 02:46:07 pm »

Since Teproc likes to see people complain, I'll complain more.

Why do all the service employees on the East Coast call me "boss"?  Every time I get a coffee or a slice of pizza, it's "there you go, boss" or "thanks, boss".  Where did this come from?  Do I emanate some kind of aura of authority?  What if I go with my direct manager and get a cup of coffee, and now the cashier puts me in the uncomfortable position of correcting or neglecting to correct this.  Also, what's the point of addressing at all?  Is it any more personal than just saying "thank you", especially if they say it to everyone?  Or, why not just "sir"?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: October 02, 2014, 02:56:06 pm »

I suggest we start a new trend. Whenever something annoys you, send a PM to Teproc complaining about it. He will understand your plight and share comforting words.

Why do all the service employees on the East Coast call me "boss"?  Every time I get a coffee or a slice of pizza, it's "there you go, boss" or "thanks, boss".  Where did this come from?  Do I emanate some kind of aura of authority?  What if I go with my direct manager and get a cup of coffee, and now the cashier puts me in the uncomfortable position of correcting or neglecting to correct this.  Also, what's the point of addressing at all?  Is it any more personal than just saying "thank you", especially if they say it to everyone?  Or, why not just "sir"?

I would guess they get less complaints than if they actually say the similar-sounding "ass".
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: October 02, 2014, 02:57:05 pm »
+1

I suggest we start a new trend. Whenever something annoys you, send a PM to Teproc complaining about it. He will understand your plight and share comforting words.

I would guess they get less complaints than if they actually say the similar-sounding "ass".

Thanks, ass.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: October 02, 2014, 02:59:29 pm »

No wait, Dawson's Creek. I get those two shows confused. They came out roughly at the same time, and I never saw either of them, so they are forever conflated in my mind as similar shows, regardless of what their content is.

/shudder

Dawson's Creek : Gilmore Girls :: Phantom Menace : Wrath of Khan
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: October 02, 2014, 03:03:36 pm »
+1

/shudder

I'll try to remember that Dawson's Creek is the insipid, vacuous show while Gilmore Girls is something else.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: October 02, 2014, 04:05:15 pm »
+1

Hey, can somebody go wake up Green Day?

OK so apparently that song was written about the death of the singer's father.  He was just a kid.  The day of the funeral he went to his room and said "wake me up when September ends".

So I won't be making that joke again.  :-\

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: October 02, 2014, 05:02:04 pm »
+1

I feel somehat obligated to respond here WW.

You mention that a different possibility would be "sir". Are you of noble descent ?
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: October 02, 2014, 05:06:23 pm »

You mention that a different possibility would be "sir". Are you of noble descent ?

"Sir" isn't a noble word, at least where I am.  It's more of a sign of respect.  I've been called sir, and it always makes me feel good about myself.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: October 02, 2014, 05:08:21 pm »
+1

Murica

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: October 02, 2014, 05:09:05 pm »

"Sir" isn't a noble word, at least where I am.  It's more of a sign of respect.  I've been called sir, and it always makes me feel good about myself.

That's my point. In the situation WW is describing, "boss" is just used as a term of respect, much like "sir", and doesn't have that much to do with its original meaning.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 02, 2014, 05:11:43 pm »

/shudder

I'll try to remember that Dawson's Creek is the insipid, vacuous show while Gilmore Girls is something else.

GG is on Netflix now.  You should go watch some!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: October 02, 2014, 05:40:56 pm »

A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: October 02, 2014, 05:42:24 pm »

That's my point. In the situation WW is describing, "boss" is just used as a term of respect, much like "sir", and doesn't have that much to do with its original meaning.

Right, well, I said "sir" because that's the sort of default.  So I'm wondering why it changed to boss.  Though "sir" sounds aesthetically better to me than "boss" does.  Being called "boss" isn't too far from being called "bro".

Personally, I'd prefer no title.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: October 02, 2014, 05:58:23 pm »

I caught bits of Gilmore Girls back in the day when my mother and sister watched it. The thing that threw me about it was the rapid-fire conversation saturated with witticisms. I'm mean really rapid. The characters in that show think and talk faster than in any other piece of media I've ever seen. It didn't sound natural at all and prevented me from suspending my disbelief.

Gilmore Girls : The Big Lebowski :: Cold : Hot
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 06:01:08 pm by LastFootnote »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: October 02, 2014, 06:17:27 pm »

Shawshank redemption : Matrix :: Pulp Fiction : banana
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: October 02, 2014, 06:26:59 pm »
+10

: : :: :: i : ii

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 02, 2014, 06:27:11 pm »
+1

I caught bits of Gilmore Girls back in the day when my mother and sister watched it. The thing that threw me about it was the rapid-fire conversation saturated with witticisms. I'm mean really rapid. The characters in that show think and talk faster than in any other piece of media I've ever seen. It didn't sound natural at all and prevented me from suspending my disbelief.

Have you ever watched The West Wing ?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 06:30:34 pm by Teproc »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: October 02, 2014, 06:29:04 pm »
+3

: : : :: :: : ::

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: October 02, 2014, 06:35:58 pm »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: October 02, 2014, 06:45:44 pm »
+5

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.