Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1217754 times)

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #750 on: September 30, 2014, 02:43:25 pm »

but you can upvote all my posts to motivate me.

Motivating and encouraging are two different things.

Enlighten me.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 30, 2014, 02:54:58 pm »

but you can upvote all my posts to motivate me.

Motivating and encouraging are two different things.

Enlighten me.

Patience, grasshopper.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 30, 2014, 03:18:58 pm »

But really, can the random stuff actually be random and not slowplay adventures?  I feel like there are plenty of threads about slowplaying elsewhere, and the proper place for that discussion is in Dominion Online where those other threads exist.

I come here to discover that "With this post, this thread passes "Decline of Civility on Isotropic?" on the post count list" can turn into "This costume and other cultural materials. The text in the list below" with enough translations.  Or that Tuvalu is a real country.  Or that unicorns suck.  But not a diary of a slowplay experience. 

Although who am I kidding?  This is a random stuff thread, so anything should be able to go here.  Including my opinion on what should go here
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 30, 2014, 03:21:34 pm »

But really, can the random stuff actually be random and not slowplay adventures?  I feel like there are plenty of threads about slowplaying elsewhere, and the proper place for that discussion is in Dominion Online where those other threads exist.

I come here to discover that "With this post, this thread passes "Decline of Civility on Isotropic?" on the post count list" can turn into "This costume and other cultural materials. The text in the list below" with enough translations.  Or that Tuvalu is a real country.  Or that unicorns suck.  But not a diary of a slowplay experience. 

Although who am I kidding?  This is a random stuff thread, so anything should be able to go here.  Including my opinion on what should go here

indeed

i don't like to open threads. i always feel like they're not important enough. i've actually been about to open threads multiple times and then not done it

also the last one i opened was kind of unsuccessful

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 30, 2014, 03:23:35 pm »

I'm really glad he set the record straight on unicorns.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 30, 2014, 03:29:07 pm »

Speaking of reporting slow-rollers, I went to look at that google-doc someone created at some point to register slow rollers to see if silverspawn had added his and discovered everything had been deleted. Then I went to the thread in which it was introduced and it looked like it was locked (there was no reply button, though there was also no post saying it was being locked). Did a mod do this? If so, why?
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: September 30, 2014, 03:40:58 pm »
+2

btw

@^ no idea

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 30, 2014, 03:56:52 pm »
+3

Speaking of reporting slow-rollers, I went to look at that google-doc someone created at some point to register slow rollers to see if silverspawn had added his and discovered everything had been deleted. Then I went to the thread in which it was introduced and it looked like it was locked (there was no reply button, though there was also no post saying it was being locked). Did a mod do this? If so, why?

Because slow-roll registries and centralized blacklist discussions and calling people out by name has no place on this forum (in my opinion).  This particular behavior (calling out particular individuals to be blacklisted) has consistently been shut down by theory (here and here as some older examples).  Sure, you can tell a funny story about getting slowplayed and what you did to counter it.  You can share your opinion about why blacklisting is a good idea.  You can discuss what types of behaviors you find particularly offensive.  But please, please, please leave out names.  Blacklisting is available to everyone.  If you feel like a person deserves to be blacklisted, do it!  But I don't need to know about it.  And they don't need to know about it (if they ever visit f.ds).  And we don't need to discuss those people and what they did. 
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: September 30, 2014, 04:10:08 pm »
+1

Because slow-roll registries and centralized blacklist discussions and calling people out by name has no place on this forum (in my opinion).  This particular behavior (calling out particular individuals to be blacklisted) has consistently been shut down by theory (here and here as some older examples).  Sure, you can tell a funny story about getting slowplayed and what you did to counter it.  You can share your opinion about why blacklisting is a good idea.  You can discuss what types of behaviors you find particularly offensive.  But please, please, please leave out names.  Blacklisting is available to everyone.  If you feel like a person deserves to be blacklisted, do it!  But I don't need to know about it.  And they don't need to know about it (if they ever visit f.ds).  And we don't need to discuss those people and what they did.

See I'm not sure I agree on this one because it was an off-forum google spreadsheet. Someone deleted the spreadsheet, which seems not cool (unless it was the original author). Obviously the mods have authority to lock threads though.

I definitely see the dangers of a public blacklist, but in general I trust that anyone an f.dser reports as slow-rolling while complaining about luck (or insulting the other player) is someone I never want to play. I do want to know. Someone's already done the experiment once, and I have no desire to repeat it.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 30, 2014, 04:16:32 pm »
+4

That guy was discussing various levels of fornication with Silver's mom... I'm not really too concerned with his bad name being spoiled.

Though, I do understand what e is saying, that collecting lists of 'people we don't like' shouldn't really be on the forum, because then we're kind of elitist jerks.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: September 30, 2014, 04:26:56 pm »
+1

i don't like to open threads. i always feel like they're not important enough. i've actually been about to open threads multiple times and then not done it

Well, if they're really not important enough, then they'll scroll off into the obscurity of subsequent pages. I've had a few threads like that.

I'll be in the mood to discuss something, I'll create a thread, I and a few others may engage in that topic for a few days, and it'll scroll on away due to inactivity.

In fact, I'd like to see more topic-specific threads in the General subforum. It feels like I mostly come here to see what random stuff is being said, which is neat, but then sometimes the thread goes on about something I don't care about and the one active thread here just slogs for me.

And I can properly ignore the threads about specific shows. I do check in on Dr. Who, though. I promptly ignore the baseball thread.

But sometimes it's just good to unload something into Random, but I don't think it's a bad thing if a thread is started. If it loses interest after a while, the forum sorts itself out.
A man has no signature

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: September 30, 2014, 04:43:36 pm »

indeed

also the last one i opened was kind of unsuccessful

This message board is for discussing anything you want. And it doesn't matter if a thread is "successful" or not. If you've got something to say then say it (in the appropriate place).
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

GeoLib

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: September 30, 2014, 04:45:20 pm »

Speaking of education and academic pursuits, this was a good read from Steven Pinker, about why academics are horrible writers:

http://chronicle.com/article/Why-Academics-Writing-Stinks/148989

This is good stuff. Thank you. The "Curse of Knowledge" he references is something that I discovered on my own writing a scholarship application last year that was intended for a general scientific audience. I ended up just getting random people I knew who were reasonably scientifically literate to read it and tell me which parts they didn't understand. After working on the project for 400+ hours it had become nigh on impossible to remember what it was like when I first heard about it.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 30, 2014, 05:36:48 pm »
+1

Not sure how I feel about the ending. It was very pretty, but the whole starting-over thing is kind of bugging me.
The dancing-robot montage is hilarious. Hard to believe that it wasn't intentional trolling on the part of the show runners.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: September 30, 2014, 05:45:19 pm »
+3

Not sure how I feel about the ending. It was very pretty, but the whole starting-over thing is kind of bugging me.
The dancing-robot montage is hilarious. Hard to believe that it wasn't intentional trolling on the part of the show runners.

I hosted a massive 10+ person viewing of that finale, live. We were all obsessed. So into the show we'd stab anyone who coughed during a new episode, let alone talk (but we were all like that, so it was fine). We watched the finale in the dark, for a movie-esque atmosphere, for those two highly-anticipated hours.

When the lights came up, we all wandered off alone, too ashamed to look each other in the eyes, to find holes to die in.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: October 01, 2014, 07:10:49 am »

this is really bad. now it looks like i'm gaming the system. i only wanted to transfer my ranking, not get into the top 5

and of course this is the time where i stop having bad luck every game and win the real games i play instead, so that it looks even more like I'm trying to cheat.

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: October 01, 2014, 07:18:02 am »

so, what's the frustration with getting slowplayed?  I don't play often enough (or well enough) to run into those people, but I feel like I'd just open a freecell game in the background (or Minecraft, or Minimetro, or Hearthstone, or Minesweeper, or read some article, edit my webpage....I got too many activities :()

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: October 01, 2014, 07:31:56 am »
+2

YIKES. nononono

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: October 01, 2014, 07:32:50 am »

21 games huh?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: October 01, 2014, 08:48:20 am »

well yea it's a new account. it has a " " at the end. look closely  :P

i wanted to get my old account down so that there aren't 2 silverspawns chilling in the top lvls. apparently that doesn't work though, because it skyrockets my new account farther up than I want it. I wanted it to be just as high as the old one, but with so few games, the rating is incredibly swingy.

so... i'll just play with the new one, and leave the old one be.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: October 01, 2014, 09:32:33 am »

I hosted a massive 10+ person viewing of that finale, live. We were all obsessed. So into the show we'd stab anyone who coughed during a new episode, let alone talk (but we were all like that, so it was fine). We watched the finale in the dark, for a movie-esque atmosphere, for those two highly-anticipated hours.

When the lights came up, we all wandered off alone, too ashamed to look each other in the eyes, to find holes to die in.

Heh, I didn't quite feel that bad, but the finale did make me raise an eyebrow. Was technology so awful that you have to chuck it into the sun?

They could have at least paid homage to the distribution of people. Why is it that the Greek gods only flourished in Greece and not in Australia? Did they try to preserve the ethnicity of the regions they seeded?

I'm also left a little unclear about Starbuck. I thought they would explain her, but they didn't. But there's nothing wrong with a little mysticism. After all, Star Wars is still great with the Force being unexplained (since Episode I never existed). So why not leave Starbuck unexplained? Still, they covered so much so it felt odd that her story ends the way it did. Or maybe I was too distracted to notice.

I popped on the pilot of the original BSG for shits and giggles. Man, that acting was terrible. I have to remember that this was back when a reshoot would cost valuable film, so if that actor sucked balls, then they had to either pay to get a better scene or just suck it up. The special effects were pretty decent for 1978, though, so I can see why they abandoned reshooting a terrible scene. I didn't realize that the BSG reboot kept a lot of the names (Tigh, Baltar). I knew about Starbuck. I may have been only a kid when that show came out, but I remembered Starbuck being the hero.

I did find Caprica on Netflix though. Looks like it was canceled after the first season, but reviews seem to be favorable, so I'll give it a shot. I had to make sure it wasn't going to disappear off Netflix like BSG.
A man has no signature

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: October 01, 2014, 12:28:53 pm »
+5

Hey, can somebody go wake up Green Day?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: October 01, 2014, 12:35:27 pm »

I never listened to that album.  I only know of the reference because I was browsing Imgur 10 minutes ago.

But that reminds me, I was watching TV last night and in the middle of commercials this band started singing, kind of like a music video.  It was U2, and it seemed to be the entirety of one of songs on their new album.  I thought to myself, "Thank god I don't have any Apple products or I'd have that terrible music on my devices."

Yeah, the song was really bad and I can see why they're giving it away for free.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #773 on: October 01, 2014, 12:57:49 pm »

I never listened to that album.  I only know of the reference because I was browsing Imgur 10 minutes ago.

But that reminds me, I was watching TV last night and in the middle of commercials this band started singing, kind of like a music video.  It was U2, and it seemed to be the entirety of one of songs on their new album.  I thought to myself, "Thank god I don't have any Apple products or I'd have that terrible music on my devices."

Yeah, the song was really bad and I can see why they're giving it away for free.
I guess that explains why it was in my iTunes.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: October 01, 2014, 01:00:36 pm »
+2

That's such an obnoxious and pretentious attitude to think that people would just want to have your music without actively pursuing it.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.