Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1217889 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #700 on: September 29, 2014, 09:46:02 am »

I'm at the last four episodes of BSG. I had to power-watch the final season this weekend when I saw that Netflix will stop carrying the show at the end of this month. Looks like I'll be able to complete it, and then I can engage in all the spoilers I want.

I will say this much: When the fifth of the Final Five was revealed, I was disappointed at first. I hated that character. Then I hoped that the reveal will result in a personality change as the Cylon programming kicks in. Looked like it at first but no. Turns out that the character is just as annoying.

The bright side to this character is that it makes Cavil much more interesting. It does explain his earlier behavior, in a sick sort of way.
A man has no signature

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: September 29, 2014, 11:07:36 am »

And on a completely different note,

[Traffic Light Video]

Of course, as soon as these became common place, no one would be excited by them anymore, so not actually a real solution for safety. Also they would distract drivers. Still a cool project though.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: September 29, 2014, 11:20:45 am »
+2

Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: September 29, 2014, 12:02:21 pm »
+1

I am about as psyched as I can be about Legend of Grimrock 2.

If you enjoyed Dungeon Master back in the day, then you will probably love Legend of Grimrock.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: September 29, 2014, 04:34:02 pm »

I'm at the last four episodes of BSG. I had to power-watch the final season this weekend when I saw that Netflix will stop carrying the show at the end of this month. Looks like I'll be able to complete it, and then I can engage in all the spoilers I want.

I will say this much: When the fifth of the Final Five was revealed, I was disappointed at first. I hated that character. Then I hoped that the reveal will result in a personality change as the Cylon programming kicks in. Looked like it at first but no. Turns out that the character is just as annoying.

The bright side to this character is that it makes Cavil much more interesting. It does explain his earlier behavior, in a sick sort of way.
The BSG plot became such a mess later on. My favourite part of the show was the early season fighter ship combat with the drum music, I think.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: September 29, 2014, 04:37:28 pm »

The BSG plot became such a mess later on. My favourite part of the show was the early season fighter ship combat with the drum music, I think.

I didn't have any issues with late-season BSG plot.  I loved the later episodes.  I thought the whole thing was great, really.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: September 29, 2014, 04:41:27 pm »

Fun fact, a number of Battlestar Galactica actors were in The Killing.  (Well, that number is at least two.)  Including the guy that played Leoben.  I couldn't place him for a while, but I had this extreme distrust towards his character.. I kept expecting him to turn up as the bad guy at any point.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: September 29, 2014, 05:19:48 pm »
+1

And on a completely different note,

[Traffic Light Video]

Of course, as soon as these became common place, no one would be excited by them anymore, so not actually a real solution for safety. Also they would distract drivers. Still a cool project though.

Maybe only use them at particularly problematic intersections?  You're right that they'd have to be careful about distracting drivers though.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 29, 2014, 05:26:52 pm »
+2

Talking about problematic intersections, I am partial to the magic roundabout.

pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: September 29, 2014, 06:10:35 pm »

"Wait, you're a teenage witch?"

"NO. I'm a teenage apprentice to a witch. There's a difference."
What's this from?

One imagines it's from Sabrina the Teenage Witch, but it could very well be Willow from Buffy.

It's not from anything. Think of it as a potential reaction a character from Gunnerkrigg Court could have, if they were in a world where Sabrina the Teenage Witch existed.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: September 29, 2014, 07:12:12 pm »
+1

What's this from?

One imagines it's from Sabrina the Teenage Witch, but it could very well be Willow from Buffy.

It's not from anything. Think of it as a potential reaction a character from Gunnerkrigg Court could have, if they were in a world where Sabrina the Teenage Witch existed.

This was like this internship I was at this summer: When one of the interns would say "I'm an engineer" or "We're engineers" my roommate would always append "-ing student." There is a difference.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: September 29, 2014, 07:37:02 pm »

What's this from?

This was like this internship I was at this summer: When one of the interns would say "I'm an engineer" or "We're engineers" my roommate would always append "-ing student." There is a difference.
Very very true

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: September 29, 2014, 08:15:47 pm »
+1

... One still has hope for a bright future?

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: September 29, 2014, 08:18:50 pm »

Nah, I don't think that's even true :P Everyone's got a reason to be disappointed.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: September 29, 2014, 09:37:42 pm »

I didn't say I was powerful, I said I was a wizard.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #715 on: September 29, 2014, 10:15:28 pm »

Nah, I don't think that's even true :P Everyone's got a reason to be disappointed.
While I was in school for engineering, the professors consistently referred to the students as "engineers" so I wouldn't blame the interns.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: September 29, 2014, 10:18:38 pm »

While I was in school for engineering, the professors consistently referred to the students as "engineers" so I wouldn't blame the interns.

It's also part of the refrain for the Engineer's Drinking Song, which is commonly sung or chanted by engineering students as part of orientation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: September 29, 2014, 11:32:08 pm »

And I consistently refer to my students as "scientists."

An engineering intern is acting in the capacity of a junior engineer.  Unlike "Doctor," "engineer" is not denoted by a degree; it is denoted by job title.  Obviously the intern cannot claim the rank of Professional Engineer, but then neither can a junior engineer in their second year on the job--who is probably doing a lot of the same work as the intern, and with only slightly less oversight.

Speaking of "Doctor," remember that interns at your hospital are doctors by degree.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: September 29, 2014, 11:33:39 pm »

Professional Engineer
Uggghhh... Don't remind me... I have to take that exam at the end of this year...

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: September 30, 2014, 12:39:06 am »

Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: September 30, 2014, 01:14:47 am »
+2

Professional Engineer
Uggghhh... Don't remind me... I have to take that exam at the end of this year...

By the time I finished my engineering degree, I knew I had no plans to become an actual engineer, so I never even took the FE exam.

--------

Speaking of education and academic pursuits, this was a good read from Steven Pinker, about why academics are horrible writers:

http://chronicle.com/article/Why-Academics-Writing-Stinks/148989
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: September 30, 2014, 02:16:52 am »
+11

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: September 30, 2014, 11:52:53 am »

I'm just being slowplayed...

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: September 30, 2014, 12:05:48 pm »

it's not like I did anything to provoke this... he just got pissed off that he lost and then started explaining me that he's better because he has a higher goko rating, and I explained him why that's probably not true.

maybe I could have avoided it by not doing that. mh.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: September 30, 2014, 12:10:20 pm »
+1

it is only a matter of days until this game is finished
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 21 queries.