Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1217689 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #675 on: September 26, 2014, 08:14:02 pm »

Best carnival rides ever.
Even if 90% of the commenters are joking, it makes me sad to see so many people unsure of if it's fake or not.

Obviously it is all 100% real.  All of those rides make perfect logical sense.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #676 on: September 26, 2014, 08:31:35 pm »

Is this video, like, the best thing ever or am I just tired?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: September 26, 2014, 09:18:47 pm »

Is this video, like, the best thing ever or am I just tired?

It's not bad.  I've seen better CGI though.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: September 27, 2014, 10:16:55 pm »
+2

Relevant to a recent discussion in this thread:

(I've never tried Marmite, myself.)

Edit: Completely unrelated, but...

« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 11:30:23 pm by eHalcyon »

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: September 28, 2014, 12:46:05 am »

I just joined a wedding band so I'm learning a bunch of shitty pop songs... and I'm starting to like them. God help me. God help us all.

Pop music has gone from 99% unlistenable when I was growing up to about 50% actually pleasant (what I would rate today). It's weird.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: September 28, 2014, 01:05:41 am »

Edit: Completely unrelated, but...
I can't believe how excited I am for this! Putting spoiler tags on this just to be super careful. Not even too sure why I'm writing it, just want to rave about the show I guess.
Season 3 really redeemed the show to me and introduced some very surprising elements (no pun intended).
I have watched every episode of the original A:TLA probably 5-7 times--and it will always stand as an incredible classic to me. However, I appreciate that Korra targets a more mature audience, allowing for real deaths and darker themes. I view the two shows as more independent of each other though. In particular, I didn't find the explanation for the Avatar's origin and bending to be that believable considering information present in the original show. Of course, there's a lot that can be lost in ten thousand years, but I personally liked the shadowy origins of bending and the theme they had going of people learning it from animals (air bison, badger moles, the moon, dragons). Granted the moon isn't an animal, but the other three are. So, a few minor gripes (almost all about season 2), but on the whole Korra's characterization, plots, and animation are stellar--and really do evoke some of the same emotions of serious issues coupled with incredible humor that the original show possessed. The trailer you posted looks amazing--like they're pulling out all the stops. Every new season of Korra I wonder how they'll be able to top the last one, but they always manage to.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: September 28, 2014, 01:30:01 am »

In particular, I didn't find the explanation for the Avatar's origin and bending to be that believable considering information present in the original show.

Care to elaborate?  I'd love to discuss it.  If it's the stuff about the animals/moon being the teachers, I can see them co-existing.  Perhaps the lion turtles gave people the ability but not the skill.  They learned to master the elements by watching the natural benders.

On the trailer, I'm very curious as to what the plot will be.  Looks like a 3 year timeskip and... maybe Kuvira is leading metal bending elitists in a bid to rule the world?  I hope it's something more than that, because it would just be a re-hash of ATLA crammed into much fewer episodes.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: September 28, 2014, 02:01:20 am »

In particular, I didn't find the explanation for the Avatar's origin and bending to be that believable considering information present in the original show.

Care to elaborate?  I'd love to discuss it.  If it's the stuff about the animals/moon being the teachers, I can see them co-existing.  Perhaps the lion turtles gave people the ability but not the skill.  They learned to master the elements by watching the natural benders.

On the trailer, I'm very curious as to what the plot will be.  Looks like a 3 year timeskip and... maybe Kuvira is leading metal bending elitists in a bid to rule the world?  I hope it's something more than that, because it would just be a re-hash of ATLA crammed into much fewer episodes.

Well it does solve the problem of why some people have bending and others don't--which is nice I guess. I'm one of these people that thinks that authors shouldn't reveal certain things--and I think the origin of bending is something that might have been cooler if they never actually went into the mechanics of it. Korra definitely has more fanservice than the original show did--so I think some of it could be related to that.

I feel that things went too far with Korra fighting basically the anti-avatar spirit in season 2. He didn't seem strong enough to me--but I guess he's gone for good since he merged with Unalaq. I like that they have Zuko around--because he's one of my favorite characters, but he's not really important to the plot at all, and it feels like more fanservice to me. I feel that all of the villains throughout the show have been very strong with good characterization and complex motives. And there were definitely some parts of season 2 that were really amazing. In general though, I just had a hard time getting into the later parts of season 2 because too much of it was focused on the spirit world--which is something else I think is best left unknown.

Of course, as time goes on, they want to explorer more creative design space to keep things fresh, which is understandable. I liked the concept of lavabending and the introduction of new airbenders. But they mostly explain things I don't want explanation for and then ignore stuff like why/how some people can lavabend now when we've never seen it before. As a subset skill of a bending form (like lightning used to be, and metalbending still is) other special skills normally have some explanation.

I hope I'm not coming off as too down on the show, because I've enjoyed about 95% of it. I just wanted to touch on the stuff I felt they could have done better.

As to theories about Kuvira and everything, I think it's interesting how she requested to come with them when rescuing the airbenders from the Red Lotus. They make it sound like the order has other members, so it's possible that she's a part of it--though they may want to take it in a new direction. From the trailer, it almost looks like people are in smaller versions of the robots from the first season--maybe with some form of artificial bending. I like the new look they gave Korra with shorter hair, and it looks like she's wearing more earthbender style clothing.

All in all, I have really high hopes for this season, and it'll be fun to speculate more about it--a ton can happen in three years!
And sorry for wall of text, but I'm really a passionate follower of both shows, so it's a ton of fun for me to discuss it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: September 28, 2014, 03:23:09 am »

ATLA and LoK stuff

Yeah, some things are best left to the imagination.  Though to be fair, the time before Wan is still pretty mysterious!  Have you read the comics?  They tell some other neat stories (including some closure for the Ursa plot).

The stuff with Vaatu was pretty weird, definitely.  I enjoyed it, but the season 2 plot of Korra did feel a bit off and over-the-top.  Part of it was because it didn't fully mesh with what I thought the spirit world was, but I can't even articulate what that might have been anyway.  The final battle with a giant Korra was also a bit crazy.  Even so, it was all very intriguing and I can see now how the season 2 plot really opened up the possibilities for the universe.  Season 3 was brilliant and it'll be really fun to see what season 4 is like.

I'm perfectly happy with them leaving the background of lavabending up in the air.  There's just so much possible creative space in the various uses of bending, maybe it just takes a unique mind or critical moment to uncover those cases.  Just off the top of my head...

Imagine a waterbender with the subtlety to freeze little patches of ice on the ground just as opponents are making a move to throw them off balance.  Or an earthbender shifting the earth for the same effect, hidering opponents and helping himself.  Imagine a lightning bender who can hold the electricity in her hands and feet for close combat like what Asami has demonstrated with her glove.  Imagine an airbender manipulating sound waves for espionage, or even using sonic attacks or throwing sounds to distract and mislead (IIRC Aang has used airbending at times to increase the volume of his voice, so there is basis for sound manipulation). 

Outside of a family-friendly setting, it can get even better.  Earthbenders and water benders who specializes in controlling small projectiles (read: psychic bullets) instead of chucking giant boulders and torrents of water.  Earthbenders who work with razor sharp crystal and waterbenders who actually use their ice to cut and pierce.  Metal bloodbenders who use the iron in blood instead of the water. Man, now that there's lavabending, there could even be an airbender who can control air temperature.  Or vacuums!  And even lightning bending could be so much more deadly.  It could all get so ridiculously destructive. 

So yeah, I don't think lavabending needs much more of an explanation.  I don't think combustion was ever elaborated on, was it?

Totally happy to discuss this show.  Maybe a separate thread would be worthwhile.  We might already have one floating around somewhere...

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 28, 2014, 04:49:20 am »
+3

A lot more stuff

I'm not really sure I agree with you.

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

Anyway, that's how I interpret things. Also these huge walls of spoilered text are probably annoying to people who don't follow those series, but I guess this is random stuff...
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 28, 2014, 07:11:56 am »

I haven't seen all the latest season, so I haven't read the spoilers. Love the series, though.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 28, 2014, 04:22:12 pm »

I haven't seen all the latest season, so I haven't read the spoilers. Love the series, though.
Glad I put spoiler tags then.

Also, @eHalcyon I'd love to discuss this more, but it would probably be better in a different thread like you mentioned. Is there another one you had in mind? Or we could always just make a new one.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 28, 2014, 04:32:52 pm »
+4

A lot more stuff

I'm not really sure I agree with you.

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

Anyway, that's how I interpret things. Also these huge walls of spoilered text are probably annoying to people who don't follow those series, but I guess this is random stuff...

That's a  good point, but

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nullam diam est, semper eu commodo vitae, fermentum at sapien. Donec congue lectus in sodales sagittis. Fusce sagittis efficitur eros, vitae tristique diam sodales consequat. Fusce rutrum, mauris vel hendrerit vestibulum, lacus mi interdum nibh, ac vehicula risus odio in dui. Nam vel nibh nibh. Quisque vel mi gravida, commodo mauris eu, facilisis nulla. Vestibulum pharetra tincidunt libero, sit amet tristique metus. Praesent semper massa non nunc convallis, vitae commodo lectus sodales. Pellentesque eu nulla et justo venenatis porta. Sed blandit volutpat condimentum. Suspendisse scelerisque orci efficitur commodo lacinia. Cras eu consectetur lorem, eu egestas dui. Aliquam in turpis tellus. Praesent porttitor quam in nibh elementum, tincidunt scelerisque arcu venenatis. Cras hendrerit, elit et malesuada pulvinar, sapien massa finibus orci, ac consequat purus ante ut nibh. In dignissim velit nec risus varius, in aliquam nisi vestibulum.

Donec molestie eros a diam imperdiet, ut faucibus nisl molestie. Aenean a lacinia diam, ut gravida dolor. Quisque odio leo, faucibus ac augue at, tempor volutpat risus. Aliquam felis augue, pharetra ut posuere porttitor, mollis a nulla. Fusce vehicula metus vitae accumsan tincidunt. Phasellus et est eget odio sodales placerat quis in neque. Nulla quis velit vel lorem posuere finibus at eget nisi. Phasellus sollicitudin libero eget risus pharetra, sit amet maximus odio pellentesque. Phasellus elementum varius arcu eu ullamcorper.

Aliquam tortor nisl, volutpat sed justo ac, condimentum dignissim orci. Donec sed dignissim erat. Nullam hendrerit risus eget nisl mattis efficitur sed eu mauris. Praesent vel nunc sollicitudin est aliquam semper in sit amet tortor. Nunc id quam cursus, condimentum sem ut, finibus dui. Vestibulum ante ipsum primis in faucibus orci luctus et ultrices posuere cubilia Curae; Sed cursus eu turpis in rutrum. Nunc sed risus sed ligula pharetra rhoncus vestibulum quis arcu. Maecenas et varius diam, sit amet ullamcorper urna.

Suspendisse finibus porttitor lorem, eget cursus nisi lobortis mattis. Aliquam sit amet felis imperdiet, interdum sapien eget, cursus quam. Cras sit amet enim tristique, efficitur dolor vitae, scelerisque sem. Etiam aliquet quam vitae massa finibus, commodo ultricies leo tincidunt. Aenean ut est eu nunc consectetur fermentum ac sed ante. Praesent interdum purus quis nisi varius gravida. Etiam vitae nisl aliquam, euismod ligula at, hendrerit mi. Etiam rhoncus purus sed leo iaculis gravida. Proin aliquet sapien scelerisque iaculis tincidunt. Duis eget finibus arcu. Curabitur sed euismod urna. Praesent lobortis pretium odio et volutpat.

Etiam id velit finibus, pretium sapien nec, mollis ante. Vivamus mi dolor, vestibulum vitae vulputate nec, aliquam non turpis. Ut eu augue in magna aliquam sollicitudin vel ut velit. Donec convallis condimentum turpis, at sagittis lorem sodales eget. Ut ipsum metus, aliquam in diam sit amet, pulvinar pulvinar urna. Praesent auctor eros nulla, convallis vestibulum dui lobortis quis. Nunc eget felis dictum, venenatis metus sit amet, sagittis dui. Ut sit amet commodo massa.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 28, 2014, 04:36:11 pm »
+7

Glad I put spoiler tags then.

Also, @eHalcyon I'd love to discuss this more, but it would probably be better in a different thread like you mentioned. Is there another one you had in mind? Or we could always just make a new one.

A a quick search doesn't turn up an existing thread, so a new one would be fine.

@Tables and Witherweaver, =rand(32).

And on a completely different note,

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #689 on: September 28, 2014, 09:20:05 pm »

So it appears as though I have a $900 golf club order to fill. First full set that I'll be paid for. I'm pretty excited about this. :)
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: September 28, 2014, 10:09:55 pm »

So it appears as though I have a $900 golf club order to fill. First full set that I'll be paid for. I'm pretty excited about this. :)
You selling golf clubs?  Neat! Golf is great

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: September 28, 2014, 10:30:17 pm »

I have some Callaway Big Bertha X-12s that I have had forever that I love, but think that my game would really benefit from getting a new set of clubs fitted to me.   Any f.ds discounts?  (although I don't really golf enough right now to justify spending a bunch of money on new clubs)
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: September 28, 2014, 10:37:12 pm »

It might be cheaper to get new shafts and have those fitted to you.  But I don't know, I haven't shopped for golf stuff in a while. I know when I got my clubs I have the shafts about an inch longer and the grips have an extra wrap under them, and I think that helped me get better.  At this point though, clubs wouldn't make much of a difference in my crappy game :P

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #693 on: September 28, 2014, 11:57:36 pm »

You selling golf clubs?  Neat! Golf is great
Yeah, a little hobby I picked up. My dad had built sets for his friends years ago. After I bought my house, I dug up his old tools and built a few test clubs. Then my lefty friend picked up the game, so I made him a short set (14*D, 3h, 5i, 7i, 9i, 52*W) to learn with.

I have some Callaway Big Bertha X-12s that I have had forever that I love, but think that my game would really benefit from getting a new set of clubs fitted to me.   Any f.ds discounts?  (although I don't really golf enough right now to justify spending a bunch of money on new clubs)
Depends on the board what you want. I can make irons for under $20 each (plus shipping... to wherever) with a generic steel shaft. I certainly wouldn't be against it. I usually charge cost+30% for supplies and labor.

It might be cheaper to get new shafts and have those fitted to you.  But I don't know, I haven't shopped for golf stuff in a while. I know when I got my clubs I have the shafts about an inch longer and the grips have an extra wrap under them, and I think that helped me get better.  At this point though, clubs wouldn't make much of a difference in my crappy game :P
There are so many fitting factors in the game. Usually a "good" fitter is proficient in maybe 2, sometimes 3, of those parameters. Length/Lie are important after you have solved weight and flex. Something most fitters don't take into consideration is how the person will setup with each club, and instead fit for 2 or 3 clubs then interpolate the rest of the set. My clubs have a 3/8" stagger. Standard is 1/2" stagger. This means my long irons are relatively shorter and my wedges are relatively longer than a set built at 0.5" long. But as I am comfortable addressing the ball in nearly the same place in my stance, this helps the swing feel right.

You do make a great point though. The shaft is the most critical piece of the club. If you have the wrong shaft, any other corrections you make will only be marginal.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 29, 2014, 01:02:13 am »
+3

If you have the wrong shaft, any other corrections you make will only be marginal.

That's what she said.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #695 on: September 29, 2014, 01:25:10 am »
+1

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 29, 2014, 03:12:11 am »

"Wait, you're a teenage witch?"

"NO. I'm a teenage apprentice to a witch. There's a difference."
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 29, 2014, 08:46:29 am »

What's this from?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: September 29, 2014, 08:58:34 am »

What's this from?

One imagines it's from Sabrina the Teenage Witch, but it could very well be Willow from Buffy.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 29, 2014, 09:14:56 am »
+1

I was thinking buffy, but mostly because I Just started watching that
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 21 queries.