Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1217921 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #550 on: September 22, 2014, 02:47:12 pm »

There are some peanut butter that are less appealing than others.

I've actually come to really enjoy Reduced Fat Jif. I normally eschew reduced fat anything, but I tried this, and I prefer it to fatty peanut butter. Other peanut butter seem to be oily in comparison. I suppose they make up for it in that Jif by adding sugar, which may be another reason it tastes better to me.

I've been cutting down on the peanut butter as it is far too efficient at delivering calories to me.
A man has no signature

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #551 on: September 22, 2014, 02:50:56 pm »
+2

Natural / fresh peanut butter is truly a gift from the heavens.  Fresh almond butter too. 

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 22, 2014, 02:54:48 pm »

Peanut butter must be the most american thing ever. I don't think I've ever seen peanut butter, let alone tasted it, and quite frankly the whole idea sounds thoroughly unappealing to me.

Congratulations on being wrong.
I didn't mean to bash on your beloved national treat, sorry for being unclear! As I said, I haven't even tried it ever. I was merely observing a big cultural difference. It's just not a thing here! I've never seen peanut butter in anyone's fridge in Finland, and it seems to be all the rave over there, big enough that people routinely mention it as a gift from heavens in random occasions.

I try not to eat bread, and I don't even like chocolate (enough to justify eating it), I didn't mean to start a competition on who has the best taste buds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 22, 2014, 02:58:35 pm »
+4

Peanut butter must be the most american thing ever. I don't think I've ever seen peanut butter, let alone tasted it, and quite frankly the whole idea sounds thoroughly unappealing to me.

I didn't mean to bash on your beloved national treat, sorry for being unclear! As I said, I haven't even tried it ever. I was merely observing a big cultural difference. It's just not a thing here! I've never seen peanut butter in anyone's fridge in Finland, and it seems to be all the rave over there, big enough that people routinely mention it as a gift from heavens in random occasions.

I try not to eat bread, and I don't even like chocolate (enough to justify eating it), I didn't mean to start a competition on who has the best taste buds.

Peanut butter goes well with apples :P

Peanut butter is gift from the gods.  Ancient Greek "Ambrosia" translates roughly to "creamy buttery substance made from mashing up peanuts".[Citation needed]
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:59:40 pm by Witherweaver »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: September 22, 2014, 03:13:36 pm »

I tried vegemite once. It wasn't for me, but it seems to be a fave with the Aussies…at least according to American media, which routinely reinforces stereotypes like the English having bad teeth, Germans being frightening, and American Chinese restaurants serving dog.

I watched an episode of Chopped where one of the mystery ingredients was cricket flour. I had hoped that maybe it was flour that cricket players use on their bats when they don't have talcum powder, but nope. Flour made from crickets. I suppose I would eat it, but it does strike me as an odd food option. Might be the best option in some places.
A man has no signature

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: September 22, 2014, 03:15:05 pm »

Same as Eevee here, peanut butter barely exists in France. We're all about Nutella here.

And peanut butter sounds disgusting.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 22, 2014, 03:16:05 pm »

Same as Eevee here, peanut butter barely exists in France. We're all about Nutella here.

And peanut butter sounds disgusting.

you mean the word?

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 22, 2014, 03:23:07 pm »

The description of it. I don't think I've ever actually seen it.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 22, 2014, 03:23:35 pm »

brummm

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 22, 2014, 03:30:12 pm »

Perhaps the discussion should be forked to its own thread.

So tell me again why there was a room full of water tanks and duplicates of Angiers.

I watched the movie more recently, so I stand by my statement that those were separate scenes.  But I intend to rewatch the movie sometime this week, and I'll report back. :P

As for my explanation on why the duplicates where there, I gave an explanation in my first long post.  Cutter could have done it, not as revenge, but as admonishment.  Perhaps the financials wouldn't work out after all, but there could be other explanations.  Maybe he found where Algiers had been stashing all the tanks from his earlier performances and had them moved back.

Alternatively, Algiers could have had the fake tanks moved back to the theater himself, for evidence disposal.  Maybe he'd planned to burn everything to the ground, duplicates, machine, theater and all.

But even if these explanations aren't satisfactory, they don't need to be for my theory.  For the clone theory, the fact that there is no reasonable explanation for having all those bodies returned to the theater is a plot hole.  I ask you, why is there a room full of water tanks and dead clones of Angiers?  He'd had them all moved off site.  If they were actual clones, he surely would have had them disposed of as well.

The point is, the film is itself a magic trick.  I couldn't tell you how Penn and Teller do their tricks, but I know it's all sleight of hand, misdirection and illusion.  The same is true here.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 22, 2014, 03:32:34 pm »
+2

Peanut butter goes well with apples :P

Peanut butter is gift from the gods.  Ancient Greek "Ambrosia" translates roughly to "creamy buttery substance made from mashing up peanuts".[Citation needed]

I took ancient greek in college.  I can confirm this[citation needed]
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 22, 2014, 03:35:22 pm »

I find it odd that having not tried it appears to equate with finding the thought of it disgusting.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 22, 2014, 03:36:44 pm »
+1

Well, have you ever eaten worms?

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 22, 2014, 03:39:15 pm »
+1

I find it odd that having not tried it appears to equate with finding the thought of it disgusting.
Well, on the flip side, if I found the idea appealing, surely I would have made the effort of finding some at some point in my life?

Also, it doesn't seem to be a good habit to develop. It sounds kind of unhealthy? I don't want to start liking something unhealthy if I'm perfectly happy without it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 22, 2014, 03:40:12 pm »
+1

Only of the variety Lumbricus gummicus.

Granted, they are still fairly disgusting.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 22, 2014, 03:40:55 pm »
+3

Well, nobody loves me and everybody hates me. So yes.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 22, 2014, 04:00:59 pm »

Perhaps the discussion should be forked to its own thread.

So tell me again why there was a room full of water tanks and duplicates of Angiers.

I watched the movie more recently, so I stand by my statement that those were separate scenes.  But I intend to rewatch the movie sometime this week, and I'll report back. :P

As for my explanation on why the duplicates where there, I gave an explanation in my first long post.  Cutter could have done it, not as revenge, but as admonishment.  Perhaps the financials wouldn't work out after all, but there could be other explanations.  Maybe he found where Algiers had been stashing all the tanks from his earlier performances and had them moved back.

Alternatively, Algiers could have had the fake tanks moved back to the theater himself, for evidence disposal.  Maybe he'd planned to burn everything to the ground, duplicates, machine, theater and all.

But even if these explanations aren't satisfactory, they don't need to be for my theory.  For the clone theory, the fact that there is no reasonable explanation for having all those bodies returned to the theater is a plot hole.  I ask you, why is there a room full of water tanks and dead clones of Angiers?  He'd had them all moved off site.  If they were actual clones, he surely would have had them disposed of as well.

The point is, the film is itself a magic trick.  I couldn't tell you how Penn and Teller do their tricks, but I know it's all sleight of hand, misdirection and illusion.  The same is true here.

I don't think he'd moved them off-site at all. I'm pretty sure the reason they were all in the theater is because he couldn't risk moving them out, at least not one per day. When is it revealed that the tanks left the theater?

You're looking at all this from the wrong direction. Why was there more than one tank in the first place? Again, it can't have been for Borden's benefit, because seeing them might have kept him from being where Angier needed him to be. Angier only needed one tank to drown Root, if that indeed what was happening. So why did all those tanks exist?

The reason that I'm arguing all this is that I think of you as an intelligent person and I hate to see you succumbing to conspiracy theories, even concerning a work of fiction. Because that's exactly what's going on here. You want to believe something, so you're inventing a convoluted story that has no facts to back it up.

I agree that it would be interesting and appropriate if there were some hidden side to the events of the film, but I'm not buying any of the versions you've proposed because there's zero hard evidence to support any of it.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 22, 2014, 04:48:34 pm »

I don't think he'd moved them off-site at all. I'm pretty sure the reason they were all in the theater is because he couldn't risk moving them out, at least not one per day. When is it revealed that the tanks left the theater?

You're looking at all this from the wrong direction. Why was there more than one tank in the first place? Again, it can't have been for Borden's benefit, because seeing them might have kept him from being where Angier needed him to be. Angier only needed one tank to drown Root, if that indeed what was happening. So why did all those tanks exist?

The reason that I'm arguing all this is that I think of you as an intelligent person and I hate to see you succumbing to conspiracy theories, even concerning a work of fiction. Because that's exactly what's going on here. You want to believe something, so you're inventing a convoluted story that has no facts to back it up.

I agree that it would be interesting and appropriate if there were some hidden side to the events of the film, but I'm not buying any of the versions you've proposed because there's zero hard evidence to support any of it.

I'm pretty sure they were moved off site.  It was an actual plot point.  Borden and Fallon were discussing how Algiers did his new version of the Transported Man.  They noted that the stage hands were blind (presumably so that they could not see the "clones") and Borden/Fallon watched them move a water tank away from the theater.  They specifically noted that this was done after every performance.  They were completely confounded as to the purpose of it all.

The purpose was, of course, to misdirect Borden.  While he obsessed about these enigmatic details, he could not see that it was really the exact same trick with a body double.

This is not a conspiracy theory.  It's fully valid, matching the themes of the film (not to mention the history of the director).

But again, I'll rewatch the film and take notes.  Maybe I misunderstood some parts the first time around.  I think you're misremembering some things yourself.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 22, 2014, 04:56:22 pm »

LF, shouldn't you at least rewatch the movie before you claim that there are no hints to the theory?

or did you rewatch it recently?

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 22, 2014, 05:00:05 pm »

LF, shouldn't you at least rewatch the movie before you claim that there are no hints to the theory?

or did you rewatch it recently?

I have seen it several times, but not as recently as eHalcyon.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: September 22, 2014, 05:09:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure they were moved off site.  It was an actual plot point.  Borden and Fallon were discussing how Algiers did his new version of the Transported Man.  They noted that the stage hands were blind (presumably so that they could not see the "clones") and Borden/Fallon watched them move a water tank away from the theater.  They specifically noted that this was done after every performance.  They were completely confounded as to the purpose of it all.

The purpose was, of course, to misdirect Borden.  While he obsessed about these enigmatic details, he could not see that it was really the exact same trick with a body double.

Man, that is a good call. I remember that conversation between Fallon and Borden now. Are we sure that the scene where Borden shoots Angier is in the theater, though? It's not just in a warehouse somewhere? Maybe the tanks were just never moved back. Anyway, that potentially explains why there would be multiple tanks: piquing Borden's curiosity. But does it explain why each one had an Angier duplicate in it? I suppose in case Borden decided to pay the warehouse a visit before sneaking backstage for the trick. But what would he have done if he found the tanks? Maybe he wouldn't have snuck backstage, realizing it was all a trick. Probably empty tanks would have been more likely to make him sneak backstage, since they would provide no clues as to how the trick was performed. But it's tough to say.

Anyhow, another question is, if it was Root that was drowned, how did Angier know which show to do it in? He only had one shot at that. Sure, he could maybe spot Borden and tell the stagehands to put the tank under the stage, but there's no guarantee that Borden would sneak backstage the first time he saw the act. In fact, he probably wouldn't. Oh, but wait. Borden volunteered for the act that time, right? So it's conceivable that Angier would have time to somehow tip off the stagehands while that trick was being performed. Hmm…
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 05:11:12 pm by LastFootnote »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 22, 2014, 05:31:12 pm »

Man, that is a good call. I remember that conversation between Fallon and Borden now. Are we sure that the scene where Borden shoots Angier is in the theater, though? It's not just in a warehouse somewhere? Maybe the tanks were just never moved back. Anyway, that potentially explains why there would be multiple tanks: piquing Borden's curiosity. But does it explain why each one had an Angier duplicate in it? I suppose in case Borden decided to pay the warehouse a visit before sneaking backstage for the trick. But what would he have done if he found the tanks? Maybe he wouldn't have snuck backstage, realizing it was all a trick. Probably empty tanks would have been more likely to make him sneak backstage, since they would provide no clues as to how the trick was performed. But it's tough to say.

Anyhow, another question is, if it was Root that was drowned, how did Angier know which show to do it in? He only had one shot at that. Sure, he could maybe spot Borden and tell the stagehands to put the tank under the stage, but there's no guarantee that Borden would sneak backstage the first time he saw the act. In fact, he probably wouldn't. Oh, but wait. Borden volunteered for the act that time, right? So it's conceivable that Angier would have time to somehow tip off the stagehands while that trick was being performed. Hmm…

I reported my first post about The Prestige in this thread, to ask theory to fork the discussion to its own thread.

I think it's in the theatre because Cutter was there and walked out afterwards, even recognizing Borden/Fallon on his way out.  But that's something I'll need to confirm on rewatching.

I think Angiers could have put a duplicate in each tank before moving it out of the theater so that there would be something to see if Borden had tried to sneak a peek at one of them while it was getting moved out.

If Borden saw it he'd probably be even more confused and sneak back stage to see.  But it's hard to say.

Re: how Angier knew which show to do it, yes Borden volunteered that time.  I have an answer that needs re-watching to confirm, but the same question can be posed to the clone theory.  Suppose Angiers was drowning a clone every show in hopes that Borden would sneak back stage and trigger the trap.  How does the living Angiers know that he should hide and let everybody think he had died in the tank?  If you can answer that, the same answer could probably be used for drowning Root.  If there is no satisfactory answer for either case, then I count it a plot hole for the clone theory and just another mystery for my theory.

My current idea is based on the fact that Angiers specifically scheduled exactly 100 shows.  No more, no less.  I think Borden and Fallon debated about that point as well.  My theory is that the 100 days was motivated by how long he thought he could keep Root on a leash and also to put a clock on Borden to act.  Borden tried to leave well enough alone, but he couldn't resist sneaking back stage for the final performance, since it was his last chance to find out Angiers' secret.  For his part, Angiers would have kept an eye out for Borden and perhaps would have drowned Root whether or not Borden got himself involved.  Last show, last chance.  And the plan to drown Root is also why he told Cutter not to go backstage.

Whether it was actually the last performance is something I'd need to check for when rewatching.

I'd also want to confirm that they were wheeling water tanks out of the theater.  It's possible that I misunderstood and they where actually wheeling tanks in.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 22, 2014, 07:17:06 pm »

eHalc: I really love the theory, I really do.  It makes a lot of things make a lot more sense.

I actually typed that up with the intention of bringing up a point that disproves it... However, thinking about it it doesn't.  Anyways, my point was at the very end when Angier is dying, Cutter walks up and reminds Angier of what he had told him when his wife died: That he had told him a story of a sailor who drowned and came back and the sailor said that it was the most peaceful death, like falling asleep.  And then he tells Angier that he lied and the sailor actually said that it was hell.  When Angier hears this he has a look of pure horror on his face and I wanted to attribute that to the clone theory because he was able to walk into the machine every night knowing that he was killing himself peacefully or you know, in the same way as his wife.  But thinking about it he could have had that same look feeling sorry for the way he killed Root.  Or just how that thought has given him some comfort all these years and Cutter was taking that away.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 22, 2014, 07:22:17 pm »

Actually, yes.  I have eaten rice crispy treats with mealworms on them.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 22, 2014, 07:50:07 pm »

I think peanut butter tastes pretty bad.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.