Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1217734 times)

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #400 on: September 09, 2014, 03:01:48 pm »

Tables trying to be funny again...

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 09, 2014, 03:07:42 pm »
+1

If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 09, 2014, 03:51:44 pm »

I... when?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: September 09, 2014, 03:56:41 pm »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1307068/

Comedic but somewhat realistic look at what would happen when we all know when we are all going to die.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: September 09, 2014, 04:59:47 pm »

I really think by going from the relative 2 percent to an absolute number you're making this a lot more complicated than it is. One in 50 people disappears. Even you yourself wouldn't notice their disappearance, it's really likely you know someone who noticed a disappearance, which he will tell you about.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 09, 2014, 05:13:28 pm »

Comedic but somewhat realistic look at what would happen when we all know when we are all going to die.
http://machineofdeath.net/

I don't know if anyone has heard or read this, but basically it's a collection of short stories all written around the same idea: There is a machine that tells you how you die.  It's cool to see how different people interpret what would happen.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:14:41 pm by AHoppy »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 09, 2014, 06:17:05 pm »

...Some individuals could lose their entire family.  Some cities may lose 5-10%, while some lose almost none. But even those that didn't directly know anyone are still affected.

Just posting to say, this is extremely unlikely. If the global disappearance percentage is exactly 2% Almost all "cities" (large population areas) will lose very close to 2%. For example the chance a given city of 1,000,000 people will lose at least 2.05% of it's population is about one in 5,300. The chance it loses at least 2.1% of it's population is somewhere in the order of magnitude of one in a trillion. And the bigger a city is the more likely it is to be closer to 2%. Similar numbers occur if you want to look at a percentage decrease.

You're flipping causality.  It isn't "let's give every person a 2% chance of disappearing and see who does."  It's "a bunch of people disappeared.  How many?  Oh, about 2% of the population."  We have no idea what, if any, force chose the disappearance.  The number of just ~2%.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 09, 2014, 06:18:51 pm »

http://machineofdeath.net/

I don't know if anyone has heard or read this, but basically it's a collection of short stories all written around the same idea: There is a machine that tells you how you die.  It's cool to see how different people interpret what would happen.

I read the first book, the pdf is free to download on the site. I feel some of the stories were just okay, but there were a couple I really liked. ALMOND is probably my favorite, MISCARRIAGE is close, HIV INFECTION FROM THE MACHINE OF DEATH NEEDLE is also pretty good.

I've been meaning to read the 2nd compilation, but haven't gotten the motivation to start it.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 09, 2014, 06:19:50 pm »

I really think by going from the relative 2 percent to an absolute number you're making this a lot more complicated than it is. One in 50 people disappears. Even you yourself wouldn't notice their disappearance, it's really likely you know someone who noticed a disappearance, which he will tell you about.

Huh?  Not at all.. just take a high school.  Every other room will have one student---maybe the teacher!---that suddenly disappears.  Most likely someone could see them at the time.  Then they simply disappear.  I don't know how you think that wouldn't cause a panic.  Even if it didn't cause a huge issue at the moment (trust me, it would), what about when their parents to go pick them up or expect them home that night?

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 09, 2014, 06:45:43 pm »
+1

Huh?  Not at all.. just take a high school.  Every other room will have one student---maybe the teacher!---that suddenly disappears.  Most likely someone could see them at the time.  Then they simply disappear.  I don't know how you think that wouldn't cause a panic.  Even if it didn't cause a huge issue at the moment (trust me, it would), what about when their parents to go pick them up or expect them home that night?

I'm with Tables in not having a clue what you're all talking about, but I can say that you two are in violent agreement: if it helps to see why, add the missing "if" in "Even if you yourself wouldn't notice...".

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 09, 2014, 06:51:21 pm »
+2

The truth of the matter is that the squid overlords are already removing 2% of our population every year, and you never notice.

Even though you now know this, you still cannot recall any of those disappearances.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a knock at my door. I almost didn't hear it over the sounds of black helicopters.
A man has no signature

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 09, 2014, 06:52:07 pm »

The truth of the matter is that the squid overlords are already removing 2% of our population every year, and you never notice.

Even though you now know this, you still cannot recall any of those disappearances.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a knock at my door. I almost didn't hear it over the sounds of black helicopters.

Welcome...to Nightvale.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 09, 2014, 06:52:48 pm »

This reminds me of Pact...

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: September 09, 2014, 06:57:32 pm »

I'm with Tables in not having a clue what you're all talking about, but I can say that you two are in violent agreement: if it helps to see why, add the missing "if" in "Even if you yourself wouldn't notice...".

Thanks for clarifying what I meant, of course you're right.

I think the high school thing is kind of a bad example, since that's a place with rather high social interaction.
Also, I was operating under the assumption that the disappearances would happen without anyone seeing it happen.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 09, 2014, 06:58:56 pm »

Oh.. that makes more sense.  Thanks.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 10, 2014, 02:00:52 am »

This reminds me of Pact...

Hm, kind of...

It also reminds me of Background Pony. I've only read the first chapter, and it already feels like I got hit with a ton of bricks...
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 10, 2014, 03:08:37 am »
+1

I... when?

Most likely they just read my posts all like 'oh Tables is trying to be funny again.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 10, 2014, 10:38:08 am »

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 10, 2014, 11:26:27 am »

^Song of the day thread.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: September 10, 2014, 12:25:43 pm »

I... when?

Most likely they just read my posts all like 'oh Tables is trying to be funny again.

Oh, okay. That was a week ago. I figured you were talking about something more recent.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 10, 2014, 12:44:02 pm »
+1

I... when?

Oh, okay. That was a week ago. I figured you were talking about something more recent.

Hahaha OMG stop my sides are hurting so much
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 11, 2014, 05:30:09 pm »

That awkward and embarrassing moment when you read your friend's conversation with a pet medium.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/197883513712356/

Not going to call out which one, but it's public, and there are plenty of examples on this page.

It just seems so criminal to charge someone $11 to make him/her feel warm and fuzzy. I'm disgusted.
A man has no signature

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 11, 2014, 05:54:06 pm »

somehow I can't believe that's real...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #424 on: September 11, 2014, 05:57:15 pm »
+6

It just seems so criminal to charge someone $11 to make him/her feel warm and fuzzy. I'm disgusted.
It would really suck to have your Colony swindled into a feeling of warmness and fuzziness.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.