Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1217821 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #375 on: September 08, 2014, 09:37:04 pm »

It snowed this morning.

Autumn lasted approximately one week.

Where do you live?

Alberta, Canada.

It's not even stopping :( I can't see anything green anymore

Hmm, where I am, it's still warm enough (hovering between -4 and +1 C) that the snow is melting when it hits the ground.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 08, 2014, 09:52:20 pm »

I usually only get snow one day out of the year on average...

I hate winter... so jealous. I should not be in canada lol
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 08, 2014, 10:41:21 pm »

So this is awesome:

http://www.watchingtheleftovers.com/blog/2014/7/4/abcs-of-the-sudden-departure

I really really like the art.

Just realized a friend of mine is an assistant director for The Leftovers. Pretty cool.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 08, 2014, 11:40:55 pm »
+1

Debated whether this belonged in let's take things completely out of context or not, but that's the thing, the context doesn't save it.

In my History class today before the teacher shows up. Some guy is playing Hearthstone on his laptop and talking to this girl (they talk all the time, and no one else in the class does, so it's slightly odd).

Guy: "Man, I am getting my butt kicked."
Girl: --mild agreement--
Guy: "That's the thing about card games though, they're all luck anyway."

I don't even know what to say to that. . .

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 08, 2014, 11:57:13 pm »
+4

Debated whether this belonged in let's take things completely out of context or not, but that's the thing, the context doesn't save it.

In my History class today before the teacher shows up. Some guy is playing Hearthstone on his laptop and talking to this girl (they talk all the time, and no one else in the class does, so it's slightly odd).

Guy: "Man, I am getting my butt kicked."
Girl: --mild agreement--
Guy: "That's the thing about card games though, they're all luck anyway."

I don't even know what to say to that. . .

In the immortal words of AdamH(?), you make your own shuffle luck.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 09, 2014, 01:31:30 am »

Finished all that's currently posted for Ra by qntm. It's all but what is going to be the last chapter.

Overall...I don't know how I feel about it. There's a transition in tone between the beginning of the story and the end of it. I will say that it's the "smartest" thing I've ever read - it's not something you can casually browse through, you have to think about it. Plus, there are casual references to all sorts of sciences and science fiction. Quines, Kardashev scales, heavy detail on the inner workings of the Space Shuttle...

It took a very long time for me to get into it. The entire work is framed around, "how does this world work?" Once you get into it though, it's very good. Would recommend.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 09, 2014, 08:29:38 am »

Smart reading, try House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. Or anything by Danielewski.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 09, 2014, 09:08:17 am »

So this is awesome:

Just realized a friend of mine is an assistant director for The Leftovers. Pretty cool.

I just looked the show up, and it says the plot is that 2% of the world population just mysteriously vanished. But like, that's 120 000 people, and if that's worldwide the effect of that would be minor, traumatising some people but leaving large cities, and probably most towns totally unaffected. I'm starting to doubt the premise before I've even seen the show.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 09, 2014, 09:30:31 am »
+2

7billion * 0.02 = 140million >> 120,000

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 09, 2014, 09:50:11 am »

7billion * 0.02 = 140million >> 120,000

Right, I missed a bunch of zeros, silly me. And I also used 6billion, not 7.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 09, 2014, 10:26:34 am »

So this is awesome:

I just looked the show up, and it says the plot is that 2% of the world population just mysteriously vanished. But like, that's 120 000 people, and if that's worldwide the effect of that would be minor, traumatising some people but leaving large cities, and probably most towns totally unaffected. I'm starting to doubt the premise before I've even seen the show.

The point of the disaster is not how many people departed, it's about what it means about why they did, why the people who stayed didn't, and the spiritual/metaphysical implications on that.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 09, 2014, 10:35:57 am »

So this is awesome:

The point of the disaster is not how many people departed, it's about what it means about why they did, why the people who stayed didn't, and the spiritual/metaphysical implications on that.

I understand the point, but say only 5 people disappeared. I wouldn't be able to suspend my disbelief enough to accept everyone getting worked up about 5 people gone missing. So the number actually does matter, since it needs to be big enough to have some sort of global effect and not just a local disaster.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 09, 2014, 11:24:53 am »

So this is awesome:

I understand the point, but say only 5 people disappeared. I wouldn't be able to suspend my disbelief enough to accept everyone getting worked up about 5 people gone missing. So the number actually does matter, since it needs to be big enough to have some sort of global effect and not just a local disaster.

I imagine that if 5 people vanished before my very eyes I might be about as disconcerted if 150 million people went poof without me actually seeing it take place. But I do get your point.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 09, 2014, 11:29:36 am »

So this is awesome:

I imagine that if 5 people vanished before my very eyes I might be about as disconcerted if 150 million people went poof without me actually seeing it take place. But I do get your point.

Of course you would be disconcerted, but worldwide no one would notice. Also people would just think you're crazy. Those guys who think aliens abducted them are pretty sure it happened too.

This isn't to bash the show, I got the numbers wrong that's all. Just saying that the fact that it's 140million people instead of just 10 matters a lot.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 09, 2014, 11:49:17 am »

The story takes place in a town of about 80,000 people.  That's, on average, 1600 people that disappeared.  It's too large to not go universally noticed by everyone. 

Imagine, some of those 1600 people were driving vehicles.  Some where operating dangerous machinery.  One could have been a bus driver.  One could have been flying a plane.  There would be accidents leading to deaths and injuries.

In our network of society, it doesn't take much disruption to have an effect on a large number of people.  If some guy killed himself today in his own home, that would effect his immediate family deeply (could be on the order of a dozen if he has a wife and children and parents and siblings), plus extended family somewhat, plus friends, plus coworkers.  If he did it in public, the people witnessing would also be effected. 

If thousands of people in a community died, that would be an incredible tragedy that effects the entire community.  People would eventually cope, though. If it was, say, a terrible accident, people know that these terrible things happen and you get through them.  Some might turn to religion when they weren't before.

If thousands of people simultaneously and instantaneously disappeared, people would not know what to do.  Imagine you're a parent.  People can't cope because they can't explain what happened.  Nothing in our experience can adequately explain what was witnessed.  People would be lost, hurt, searching for answers. 

2% is a pretty huge number when you start to think of all the people that any individual effects.  Something like 10% would be catastrophic.  It's also not, of course, equally distributed in every possible grouping of individuals you can come up with.  Some people would know no one that departed, and some would know many.  Some individuals could lose their entire family.  Some cities may lose 5-10%, while some lose almost none. But even those that didn't directly know anyone are still affected.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: September 09, 2014, 12:00:18 pm »

I never watched the show, but I would imagine that 2% of the population disappearing would be significant. There would be a huge freak-out factor because people generally don't just vanish. There is general concern when a townsperson goes missing, but you just assume that he ran away or got knocked into a ditch by a train or was kidnapped--bad things but mundane enough to accept. When 1 out of every 50 have gone missing, and you hear on the news that this has happened worldwide, people are going to freak the fuck out.

I canceled HBO before the show started (I was in it for GoT anyway), but it sounds like an interesting premise. It kind of reminds me of the premise of Flash Forward, where everyone blacks out at the same time for about 2 minutes. It's freaky, and people should be questioning what the hell it all means. Too bad the show didn't deliver, but the premise was interesting.
A man has no signature

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 09, 2014, 12:09:35 pm »

I was commenting on this, how the number does matter as 5 people would cause a global problem, but yes, 2% would be serious.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 09, 2014, 12:11:59 pm »

I was commenting on this, how the number does matter as 5 people would cause a global problem, but yes, 2% would be serious.

Right, it has to be enough so that everyone knows it was a real thing that happened, with no doubt.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 09, 2014, 01:00:45 pm »

I'm curious about how religious it gets. The premise takes obvious inspiration from the Christian concept of Rapture, particularly the version seen in the Left Behind series.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 09, 2014, 01:03:43 pm »

I'm curious about how religious it gets. The premise takes obvious inspiration from the Christian concept of Rapture, particularly the version seen in the Left Behind series.

No spoilers, I don't think - I listened to an interview with the author/also showrunner I think? and it sounds like the show gets fairly religious but that's because that's how many/most people respond to it, not insomuch that the show itself gets religious in a meta way (if that poorly explained distinction makes sense).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 09, 2014, 01:09:35 pm »

No spoilers, I don't think - I listened to an interview with the author/also showrunner I think? and it sounds like the show gets fairly religious but that's because that's how many/most people respond to it, not insomuch that the show itself gets religious in a meta way (if that poorly explained distinction makes sense).

Yeah, OK. The true in-show explanation may not be religious in nature, but many characters will interpret the event as something spiritual.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: September 09, 2014, 01:36:31 pm »

It gets very religious in the sense that there is a cult (although it's not a religious cult really) that is one of the most important parts of the show, there's also a guru which a cult around him in one of the storylines, and one of the secondary characters is a christian (not sure which denomination) priest. So religion gets discussed a fair amount, and the opening credits sequence references the Sistine Chapel, so yeah.

I doubt there will ever be an explanation for the event itself. I don't believe the book explains it, and the showrunner is not exactly known for his prowess at explaining big mysteries. Which is good, I'd rather have it be about the characters in the show and how they deal with it (which is very much what season 1 was about).
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 09, 2014, 02:10:31 pm »
+3

...Some individuals could lose their entire family.  Some cities may lose 5-10%, while some lose almost none. But even those that didn't directly know anyone are still affected.

Just posting to say, this is extremely unlikely. If the global disappearance percentage is exactly 2% Almost all "cities" (large population areas) will lose very close to 2%. For example the chance a given city of 1,000,000 people will lose at least 2.05% of it's population is about one in 5,300. The chance it loses at least 2.1% of it's population is somewhere in the order of magnitude of one in a trillion. And the bigger a city is the more likely it is to be closer to 2%. Similar numbers occur if you want to look at a percentage decrease.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 09, 2014, 02:14:05 pm »

Nowhere is it implied that the vanishings are perfectly random though.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 09, 2014, 02:40:18 pm »

Nowhere is it implied that the vanishings are perfectly random though.

I don't even know what exactly is being talked about, and I stated my assumption - a random 2% exactly.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.