Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1218119 times)

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #275 on: September 04, 2014, 11:39:07 am »
+3

I just started watching Parks and Rec (watched the pilot and episode 2 this last hour) and it is hilarious.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #276 on: September 04, 2014, 11:43:00 am »
+4

Interesting, because Season 1 of P&R is notoriously poor compared to subsequent seasons.  You don't really miss much by skipping it all and just starting with Season 2.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 04, 2014, 11:46:21 am »

Interesting, because Season 1 of P&R is notoriously poor compared to subsequent seasons.  You don't really miss much by skipping it all and just starting with Season 2.

While that is a popular opinion, I feel it is an overstatement. Season 1 is certainly the worst of the bunch, but it's still decent, and starting with the pilot is definitely better I think. People fail to account that this kind of comedy benefits greatly from familiarity with the characters, which is partly why it keeps getting better at first (that's before it gets stale, which would be this season).
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 04, 2014, 11:50:04 am »

I think that can be said of any series. Watch a season 1 episode of Seinfeld and then watch a season 6 episode right after. There's no comparison but that's because the characters hadn't developed at all yet in season 1. It usually takes a couple seasons for everyone to feel out their characters and settle in and for the writers to adapt to it.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #280 on: September 04, 2014, 12:05:50 pm »

It is true that sitcoms tend to get better over time (though I think several of Friends' best episodes were in Season 1), but P&R in particular had a seismic shift between Season 1 and Season 2 which allowed it to redefine itself as not just an Office knockoff.  I agree that Season 1 is still good and funny, but Season 2+ are why it's one of my favorite shows of all time.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 04, 2014, 12:41:32 pm »
+2

Parks and Rec is amazing.  Except for Jerry.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 04, 2014, 12:43:33 pm »
+2

Parks and Rec is amazing.  Except for GaryJerryLarryTerry.

FTFY

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 04, 2014, 12:51:18 pm »

Parks and Rec is amazing.  Except for Jerry.

And also Mark Brendanawicz amirite? That's what we're talking about here?

Although I'm glad I stuck with it. Even season 1 had its moments..."The Pit" had me in stitches
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 04, 2014, 12:58:59 pm »

Anyone watch Rick and Morty?  If not, you're bad and you should feel bad.  And start watching it.  Funniest thing in quite a while.  (It's on Adult Swim.)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: September 04, 2014, 01:37:28 pm »

I stopped watching new stuff on Adult Swim. Too much of the new stuff seemed neat but ended up being disappointing.

But Sealab, Venture Brothers, and Home Movies were hard acts to follow. Robot Chicken is still quite good, though.

Then again, I realized that I'm not watching as much TV as I used to, so even the promise of a good Adult Swim show might not be enough for me.

I may put Parks & Rec on my queue. I've been hearing about it.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 04, 2014, 01:39:10 pm »

Venture Brothers is fantabulous.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 04, 2014, 01:55:55 pm »

It's definitely true that comedies get better over time. I can't think of a single comedy that was at its best in season 1. A lot of what make comedies work is that you get attached to the characters, which obviously takes some time, and of course comedy is a lot harder to manufacture than drama if that makes sense, a lot of it is based on a dynamic among the cast, which takes some time to develop.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 04, 2014, 02:45:44 pm »

Parks and Rec is amazing.  Except for GaryJerryLarryTerry.

FTFY

I didn't do that because they are spoilers!

I wrote Larry before deciding to look up what the "original" name was.  I couldn't remember.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 04, 2014, 02:53:41 pm »

Parks and Rec is amazing. The first season is pretty meh, but only compared to the rest of the seasons. I'd still pick it over something like Big Bang Theory.

And for the record, it's Gerry!

Edit: double checking wikipedia suggests that it's actually actually Garry. Well.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 03:02:12 pm by Dsell »
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 04, 2014, 03:39:38 pm »

Also, how about Guardians of the Galaxy?

(I haven't actually watched Guardians of the Galaxy.)

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 04, 2014, 06:33:42 pm »

Actually, knowing that Andy Dwyer is actually the Star-Lord named Peter Quill made P&R all the more funny.  And one of the reasons that I started watching it in the first place.  I finished season 1, and will say that I enjoyed episodes 1-2 more than 3-6, but still enjoyed the season, however short it was.  If you all say that the rest of the seasons just keep getting better, then I will just have to keep watching.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 04, 2014, 08:35:02 pm »

You should.

That said, you shouldn't wait for the after-credit thing.  Totally not worth it this time.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 04, 2014, 09:27:17 pm »
+1

It's definitely true that comedies get better over time. I can't think of a single comedy that was at its best in season 1. A lot of what make comedies work is that you get attached to the characters, which obviously takes some time, and of course comedy is a lot harder to manufacture than drama if that makes sense, a lot of it is based on a dynamic among the cast, which takes some time to develop.
Modern Family.

But yeah, I agree with the principle.

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 04, 2014, 09:28:02 pm »

You should.

That said, you shouldn't wait for the after-credit thing.  Totally not worth it this time.
No way it was that good. Just no.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 04, 2014, 09:38:05 pm »

I thought the first (there's twenty characters let's present them all in five minutes!) and last (gravity is cool, let's put all clichés that involve it one after the other) 20% were pretty bad. But the middle was really funny, and a couple of well-done poignant moments here and there. I don't think I've laughed that much in a Marvel movie before.

And the post-credit scenes is just a cameo of an obscure character, I guess testing the waters to see if they can introduce it in a future film. Not worth it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:40:43 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 04, 2014, 10:36:15 pm »

It's moronic... and yet it has indeed raised millions for ALS research.  Which is great news for ALS sufferers (if they live long enough to see treatment, which they likely won't), but not so great news for... other charities.

I view the ice-water gimmick as a good thing because it raises awareness. Well, really, it reminds people, because I think everyone knows of ALS, but sometimes it helps to remind people that it's still out there and could use more research. So these stupid stunts bring the disease to the foreground and raise money. Good on that!

Having said that, the stunt is really dumb because you're challenging someone to donate $100 (or whatever) or else pour ice water over your head. So when someone videos himself pouring water over his head, he is making a tacit admission that he would rather dump water on himself than donate $100 to ALS research. This is probably not true. I bet most of the people in the videos did donate something, though maybe not $100. But the statement is still there, so it's pretty dumb. The challenge really should be something like donating $100 and then proving it by videoing yourself with ice water on your head. Not that it proves much but again, awareness.

A friend whose research is in water treatment and desalinization posted something to FB earlier today, pointing out that one of the major causes of death in the world is lack of access to fresh water.  And here we are dumping someone's daily supply of water over our heads as part of a bet to escape giving as much to charity.

As someone with little to donate to charity in any given year, I can think of a lot better causes than ALS research.  Consider that about 30000 people in the US suffer from ALS.  That's about the same as the number of people just in my home city (about 10% of the population) who rely on food banks for part of their sustenance.  A $10 donation to my local food bank is going to impact more lives today than a $100 donation to ALS research... for which a useful treatment is years or decades away.

I don't know, maybe I'm more "aware" than other people, but I wasn't ignorant of ALS prior to this.  I don't see awareness of a specific disease as a great goal.
That water would never have gone to Africa anyway, way too expensive to ship water that distance, your friend should know this. Research that goes into ALS doesn't just help ALS. Discoveries found in the research can help with many other kinds of similar diseases and can help our understanding about how the brain works in general.

This video seems to cover most of the complaints people have about giving money to ALS research and the ice bucket challenge. It's long (27 minutes) but it's worth the watch:
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 04, 2014, 10:53:43 pm »

ANyone get the XKCD "What If?" book?  I did and it's so awesome.  I haven't had a ton of time to read it, but there are things about the book itself that are awesome without having to read it yet.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 04, 2014, 11:16:57 pm »

ANyone get the XKCD "What If?" book?  I did and it's so awesome.  I haven't had a ton of time to read it, but there are things about the book itself that are awesome without having to read it yet.

Is there more than what's online?

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 04, 2014, 11:35:05 pm »

Yeah.  A lot of them are from the blog, but there are also ones that he wanted to go more in depth than he would for the blog and also a few really random/dumb/terrifying/weird questions he got and doesn't answer.  I think he may have expanded some of the ones from the blog, but I'm not sure since I've only read the first 2 or 3
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.