Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1217751 times)

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #125 on: August 21, 2014, 12:05:53 pm »
+1

My hit count is one bird, one deer, one human, and almost a cyclist who decided it was a good idea to stop right in front of my car while I was about to turn.

You've killed someone while driving? Gangster! Murderer! And it's ok to hit cyclists, they piss off everyone with their attitude.

You mean the attitude that you should observe them as any other vehicle on the road with all the rights of way that entails since that is exactly how the law views them? Do you get pissed and throw your beer bottles and scream at the guy driving his tractor down the road too?
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2014, 12:08:01 pm »
+1

Cyclist are fine.  Bikes aren't loud or annoying.

Motorcycles, however, are the worst thing I can ever envision existing on a street, and I'm including nuclear bombs in that set.  I'm convinced that people that ride motorcycles have no respect for any other thing---living or nonliving---on the planet.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 21, 2014, 12:14:30 pm »

Cyclist are fine.  Bikes aren't loud or annoying.

Motorcycles, however, are the worst thing I can ever envision existing on a street, and I'm including nuclear bombs in that set.  I'm convinced that people that ride motorcycles have no respect for any other thing---living or nonliving---on the planet.
My issue with cyclists is how they insist on riding on the road even when there is a perfectly good bike path built specifically for them right next to that road!  Where I live, there is one road where the speed limit is 50 mph and it's four lanes divided "highway" type road (even though it's not a highway) that has a bike path.  And yet, I often find bicyclists riding on the street rather than the bike path.  I understand bicyclists on roads without bike paths, fine.

Motorcyclists are often ok, but I have had issues with them being dumb.  Especially in traffic on the highway... ugh...

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 21, 2014, 12:19:00 pm »

The point is that their vehicles are loud and obnoxious and it fills me with blind, seething rage every time I hear one go by.  If I had one super power I could choose, it would be the ability to will the instantaneous explosion of motorcycles.  I'm not so concerned with the people on the motorcycles after the explosion.  They should have had some more respect for the people around them.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2014, 12:21:55 pm »
+3

I can see where the rage is coming from, but let's not forget that there are cyclists and motorcyclists who are not utter douchebags. I wouldn't be surprised if douchebags are in the minority. You just pay attention to them more when they're disregarding traffic laws or zipping by between cars in rush hour traffic. You generally don't notice the guy who's following every rule and being considerate of other drivers.
A man has no signature

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 21, 2014, 12:26:43 pm »
+1

My hit count is one bird, one deer, one human, and almost a cyclist who decided it was a good idea to stop right in front of my car while I was about to turn.

You've killed someone while driving? Gangster! Murderer! And it's ok to hit cyclists, they piss off everyone with their attitude.

You mean the attitude that you should observe them as any other vehicle on the road with all the rights of way that entails since that is exactly how the law views them?

He probably meant the attitude that they don't behave as any other vehicle on the road, with all the responsibilities that it entails even tough that is exactly how the law views them.

For the record, I cycle more often than I drive. Most cyclist I see are near-suicidal. Sometimes I just have to stop and salute them with an "ˇOle, torero!". Unfortunately nobody understands me when I am abroad.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 12:45:27 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 21, 2014, 12:54:48 pm »

I was told that motorcycles are loud so that you notice them where you otherwise might not have, thus a safety measure. I'm not so sure that is the intended effect but it could be construed as a positive side effect.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 21, 2014, 01:56:06 pm »

The worst thing is when there's a lot of traffic, and two cyclists are riding side-by-side in the bike lane, basically being in the lane.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 21, 2014, 02:39:50 pm »

Well, I am probably the only one on the forum who has hit a bear while driving.  Maybe that's what the birds on my dash are angry about.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2014, 03:53:56 pm »
+4

Well, I am probably the only one on the forum who has hit a bear while driving.  Maybe that's what the birds on my dash are angry about.

Were you trying to avoid a moose?

http://gawker.com/5935491/swerving-to-miss-moose-norwegian-man-slams-into-bear

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 21, 2014, 07:32:30 pm »
+3

Wait are cyclists not humans?!?!

Cyclists are like centaurs.  Half human, half bicycle.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 21, 2014, 07:35:11 pm »
+9

Wait are cyclists not humans?!?!

Cyclists are like centaurs.  Half human, half bicycle.

I thought, "I would love to see fan art of this."  And then I did a google search.  And well...

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 07:36:27 pm by eHalcyon »

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 21, 2014, 09:50:31 pm »
+11

What about this guy?

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 22, 2014, 05:01:04 am »

Urrgh, okay. If you have not tried reading Worm, then you should read Worm because it's excellent.

If you have read Worm and liked it, then you should read Pact. It takes much, much longer to get interesting and as captivating, but when it does? It's so good, and then regular releases of next chapters? I want to fanboy about it so much but it's hard to do so without spoiling it.

Here's some favorite lines that I'm probably misremembering, and hopefully don't spoil anything.

"It's just like economics. Supply and demand. You have great demand for not dying horribly, and I can supply ways for you to not die horribly."

"Motorcycles rocked. Humanity? It varied."

"Oh god. You’re telling me that I have to work for my salvation by making friends?"

"I won. I'm weak and broken and flawed and I still beat you, you motherfucking fucker. I won, and there's nothing you can do about it."
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 22, 2014, 11:36:02 am »
+1

You mean the attitude that you should observe them as any other vehicle on the road with all the rights of way that entails since that is exactly how the law views them? Do you get pissed and throw your beer bottles and scream at the guy driving his tractor down the road too?

Except here in Montreal, most cyclists don't follow traffic laws like other vehicles. They weaving between cars, go through stop signs AND red lights, and usually don't ride on the specified bikes paths even when they are on the street right next to them.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 22, 2014, 11:54:01 am »
+8

Mathematicians never have unstable tables:

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 22, 2014, 11:59:55 am »

Mathematicians never have unstable tables:

totally doing this the next time I have an unstable table
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 22, 2014, 01:06:59 pm »
+8

At least one mathematician just eats the table, IIRC.

My phone juat turned a misspelling of "mathematician" into "maybe magician."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #143 on: August 22, 2014, 01:11:39 pm »
+5

But didn't change "juat".
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 22, 2014, 01:22:46 pm »
+1

I don't know juat you're talking about.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 22, 2014, 01:37:24 pm »

Well he better not eat me!

What?
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 22, 2014, 03:37:56 pm »

Urrgh, okay. If you have not tried reading Worm, then you should read Worm because it's excellent.

If you have read Worm and liked it, then you should read Pact. It takes much, much longer to get interesting and as captivating, but when it does? It's so good, and then regular releases of next chapters? I want to fanboy about it so much but it's hard to do so without spoiling it.

Here's some favorite lines that I'm probably misremembering, and hopefully don't spoil anything.

"It's just like economics. Supply and demand. You have great demand for not dying horribly, and I can supply ways for you to not die horribly."

"Motorcycles rocked. Humanity? It varied."

"Oh god. You’re telling me that I have to work for my salvation by making friends?"

"I won. I'm weak and broken and flawed and I still beat you, you motherfucking fucker. I won, and there's nothing you can do about it."

I've read Worm and I'm caught up on Pact.  Out of curiosity, what prompted this sudden advertisement?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 22, 2014, 04:37:47 pm »

Real men just break a leg off of the table because they don't need math to prove that three legs are always stable. Unfortunately most 4 legged tables do not have the legs properly positioned for 3 legged standing. Thus, we tend to just smash the entire table and sit at the bar instead.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 22, 2014, 04:41:00 pm »

Real men just break a leg off of the table because they don't need math to prove that three legs are always stable. Unfortunately most 4 legged tables do not have the legs properly positioned for 3 legged standing. Thus, we tend to just smash the entire table and sit at the bar instead.

They're talking about mathematicians, not men.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 22, 2014, 04:44:53 pm »
+4

Except here in Montreal, most cyclists don't follow traffic laws like other vehicles. They weaving between cars, go through stop signs AND red lights, and usually don't ride on the specified bikes paths even when they are on the street right next to them.

Fun fact, I don't ride entirely in the bike lanes because if I did I WOULD BE RIDING IN THE DOOR ZONE AND MORE LIKELY TO BE INJURED.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.