Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1217759 times)

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #100 on: August 20, 2014, 05:36:34 pm »

From the Canadian Press:

British Columbia's highest court is green-lighting medical marijuana in everything from oils and cookies to teas...

I have no idea whether the puns were intentional or not, but I find them hilarious.

Puns ? Plural ? I get "green-lighting" but that's the only one I see.

Oh, "highest" I guess. That's a stretch, but ok.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 20, 2014, 07:15:49 pm »

As someone with little to donate to charity in any given year, I can think of a lot better causes than ALS research.  Consider that about 30000 people in the US suffer from ALS.  That's about the same as the number of people just in my home city (about 10% of the population) who rely on food banks for part of their sustenance.  A $10 donation to my local food bank is going to impact more lives today than a $100 donation to ALS research... for which a useful treatment is years or decades away.

The problem with this line of thinking (and this is something I've struggled with before myself and I'm just sharing my current, malleable conclusion) is that for any donation $A to charity B, you can argue that a donation of $A to C would have done more good. What I'm saying is, at some point, you have to just go "Hey, $A was given to charity! That's great!" as long as the charity isn't obviously fraudulent or something.

I'm assuming, from the viral nature of the challenge at this point, that it's likely creating new charity dollars, not re-directing existing ones. Maybe it is, I don't know! That would be the interesting thing to me to know.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 07:17:34 pm by Voltaire »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #102 on: August 20, 2014, 07:31:45 pm »

I'm assuming, from the viral nature of the challenge at this point, that it's likely creating new charity dollars, not re-directing existing ones.
It's probably both.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 20, 2014, 08:18:26 pm »
+8

We haven't talked about metric vs. imperial enough.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 20, 2014, 08:20:27 pm »

I tend to cater to my audience.  Although metric is so much cleaner
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2014, 08:24:27 pm »

What's this from?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2014, 08:26:20 pm »

A lot of the celebrities probably already have their own personal causes, so they may not want to get involved in donating to a new one, but the challenge does raise awareness. Of course you also have a few people like Charlie Sheen who decide to go for the more direct option.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2014, 08:34:13 pm »

What's this from?

I actually don't know.  I saw it on tumblr...

Hmm, looks like it may have originated from reddit.  Says the OP:

"Wild Thing" by Josh Bazell. Sequel to "Beat the Reaper," not that there's any overlap plot-wise, just the same main character and occasional reference.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2014, 09:38:44 pm »
+1

This is silly.  Those are just the definitions (at least historically) of those SI units.  Obviously the units will look easy to use when applied to their own definition.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2014, 10:13:40 pm »
+4

So there's been an apparent leak on the character roster and stages in the new Super Smash Bros. game(s). What makes it fun though is that the leak seems to be either legit or very well crafted - and that's led to a huge amount of argument and general flame wars. GameFAQs SSBU board is absolutely hilarious right about now, with rage flying all over the place. It's fun just to go over and read all the threads proving the leak is legit, and proving the leak is a fake, and watching the mix of passive aggressive comments people are throwing around about people who feel differently to themselves about it.

(I personally am still unconvinced by the leak either way, and will probably remain that way until there is definitive evidence, since that's reasonably likely to occur within the next week or so anyway).
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2014, 10:29:25 pm »

This is silly.  Those are just the definitions (at least historically) of those SI units.  Obviously the units will look easy to use when applied to their own definition.

Also not accurate (at least the hydrogen part). If we say the hydrogen is a representative distribution of naturally occurring isotopes it's 1.00794 g/mol and if we're just talking about 1H then it's 1.00783 g/mol. So it's close, but definitely not exact; we're off by about 5*1021 atoms. The standard definition of the mole is based on the mass of 12C.

I do agree that SI and metric are mostly way better than the imperial system.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 10:43:24 pm by GeoLib »
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2014, 10:30:03 pm »
+1

So there's been an apparent leak on the character roster and stages in the new Super Smash Bros. game(s). What makes it fun though is that the leak seems to be either legit or very well crafted - and that's led to a huge amount of argument and general flame wars. GameFAQs SSBU board is absolutely hilarious right about now, with rage flying all over the place. It's fun just to go over and read all the threads proving the leak is legit, and proving the leak is a fake, and watching the mix of passive aggressive comments people are throwing around about people who feel differently to themselves about it.

(I personally am still unconvinced by the leak either way, and will probably remain that way until there is definitive evidence, since that's reasonably likely to occur within the next week or so anyway).

Care to summarize the arguments either way?

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2014, 10:53:02 pm »

Also not accurate (at least the hydrogen part). If we say the hydrogen is a representative distribution of naturally occurring isotopes it's 1.00794 g/mol and if we're just talking about 1H then it's 1.00783 g/mol. So it's close, but definitely not exact; we're off by about 5*1021 atoms. The standard definition of the mole is based on the mass of 12C.

I do agree that SI and metric are mostly way better than the imperial system.
I like pounds, but metric is better in every other way.

though it's way better to go 65 mph than 65 kmph
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2014, 10:53:31 pm »
+2

I've seen most discussion from the SmashBros subreddit, but didn't bother looking for too many details. So, I'm for sure missing some arguments.

+ The lines on the character select screen don't line up perfectly
- The image is tilted and slightly blurry, this doesn't matter, plus they don't line up perfectly in previous games either.
+ The background for Fox on character select is blue, but in the E3 build it was green.
- His background was changed to the same shade of blue in the 3DS box art, which is official
+ Characters from the same franchise aren't next to each other.
- They weren't necessarily next to each other in previous games either.
- Error level analysis doesn't detect anything (a decent test of whether an image is Photoshopped.)
+ If they faked it, then took a picture of the screen it was displayed on, it wouldn't detect anything either.
+ What the hell, the Duck Hunt Dog is a playable character? That's so ridiculous!
- It's too crazy to be a fake!

and then lots of insanely specific details that I stopped reading before I went insane.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2014, 08:02:09 am »

But you must paint flames on your car. And not metric flames either.
A man has no signature

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2014, 08:23:26 am »

I just have angry birds on my dash.  I hope that is all right.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2014, 10:33:11 am »

I've seen most discussion from the SmashBros subreddit, but didn't bother looking for too many details. So, I'm for sure missing some arguments.

+ The lines on the character select screen don't line up perfectly
- The image is tilted and slightly blurry, this doesn't matter, plus they don't line up perfectly in previous games either.
+ The background for Fox on character select is blue, but in the E3 build it was green.
- His background was changed to the same shade of blue in the 3DS box art, which is official
+ Characters from the same franchise aren't next to each other.
- They weren't necessarily next to each other in previous games either.
- Error level analysis doesn't detect anything (a decent test of whether an image is Photoshopped.)
+ If they faked it, then took a picture of the screen it was displayed on, it wouldn't detect anything either.
+ What the hell, the Duck Hunt Dog is a playable character? That's so ridiculous!
- It's too crazy to be a fake!

and then lots of insanely specific details that I stopped reading before I went insane.

Yeah, that sounds like a good summary of the main things. Probably the biggest point against you're missing is that one of the images against shows the top and bottom screen of the 3DS version - but part of an image in the top screen seems to slightly overlap one on the bottom screen. There are however explanations for why this might appear to have happened, but it is a bit weird.

For your viewing pleasure:

http://i.imgur.com/9jIpHvK.jpg (note: some vulgar language)
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2014, 10:35:35 am »
+4

Stop hitting birds with your car :(

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2014, 11:19:49 am »

Stop hitting birds with your car :(

I've only hit 2 birds in my car during my 26 years of driving. It's not that I try to hit them. It's just that they are so adept at getting out of the way that I don't bother slowing down for birds anymore. Well, they're mostly adept. Two of them got Darwinned on my car apparently.

One night I was driving in the boonies and kept hitting rabbits. Not only was I not trying to hit bunnies, but I would swerve and still hit them somehow. I resigned myself to suicidal lepus.

Only hit one deer, and I was fortunate enough to slam on my brakes. I probably only hit him at a final speed of 10 MPH. He got up and tried to get traction on the road, so it looked kind of like a cartoon character trying to run away. He sped off, and I verified no significant damage to my car.

Oh, and I hit a kid on a bike. Actually, he hit me. He came barreling through a stop sign, and I veered enough that he only slammed into the side of my car. Fortunately, there was nothing on the sidewalk for me to hit when I swerved. I jumped out of my car, and he stood up in the middle of the intersection and proclaimed, "I'm all right!" I was muttering that the little shit better be. Free life's lesson for him.
A man has no signature

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2014, 11:35:16 am »

My hit count is one bird, one deer, one human, and almost a cyclist who decided it was a good idea to stop right in front of my car while I was about to turn.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #120 on: August 21, 2014, 11:39:10 am »
+3

one human, and almost a cyclist
For me, it's the reverse. I've hit a cyclist, and almost one human, too.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 21, 2014, 11:40:23 am »
+1

Wait are cyclists not humans?!?!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 21, 2014, 11:45:15 am »

In 20 years of driving, I can safely say I've yet to hit a living thing larger than an insect.  I have technically hit the rear of two cars, but in both cases I was rear-ended first.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #123 on: August 21, 2014, 11:47:52 am »
+1

Wait are cyclists not humans?!?!
That's the joke

I haven't actually hit anyone

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 21, 2014, 11:48:20 am »

My hit count is one bird, one deer, one human, and almost a cyclist who decided it was a good idea to stop right in front of my car while I was about to turn.

You've killed someone while driving? Gangster! Murderer! And it's ok to hit cyclists, they piss off everyone with their attitude.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.