Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1217900 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2014, 03:00:20 pm »

I really don't understand that "hint".  What are preschooler's not able to do that nonpreschooler's can?  Lots of stuff, I guess.  That doesn't really tell me much.

It means the problem is not of a mathematical nature, that is, there is no function to be discovered. Pre-schoolers can count, they cannot add, subtract or any other higher mathematical functions. Thus the implication is that you are counting something. Half of the puzzle is parsing the hint.

Count the number of loops?

Kids call them circles

Then the puzzle would depend on the font!  And be impossible to practically answer.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2014, 03:02:17 pm »

I thought I could escape the ice bucket challenge by going outside and playing basketball. I was wrong. Soon after I got there some dudes came and poured ice water on themselves. God make it stop.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2014, 03:03:19 pm »

I thought I could escape the ice bucket challenge by going outside and playing basketball. I was wrong. Soon after I got there some dudes came and poured ice water on themselves. God make it stop.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but it sounds like these "dudes" are into some really strange things.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2014, 03:03:42 pm »

Man, they all just coached the team to the championships.  That's how it's done.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2014, 03:05:03 pm »

I really don't understand that "hint".  What are preschooler's not able to do that nonpreschooler's can?  Lots of stuff, I guess.  That doesn't really tell me much.

It means the problem is not of a mathematical nature, that is, there is no function to be discovered. Pre-schoolers can count, they cannot add, subtract or any other higher mathematical functions. Thus the implication is that you are counting something. Half of the puzzle is parsing the hint.

Kids call them circles

Then the puzzle would depend on the font!  And be impossible to practically answer.

Which, ostensibly, is why the puzzle comes in the form of a static image.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2014, 03:06:46 pm »

Kids call them circles

Prove that they're circles.

(Edit: I mean, clearly they aren't.)

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2014, 03:07:51 pm »
+1

Kids call them circles

Hey this is fun!
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 20, 2014, 03:11:02 pm »
+1

Kids call them circles

Like I said, Kids call them circles

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2014, 03:14:47 pm »

Pre-schoolers can count, they cannot add, subtract or any other higher mathematical functions.
Depends on the preschooler. I remember adding and subtracting fractions at the age of four.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2014, 03:16:34 pm »

Pre-schoolers can count, they cannot add, subtract or any other higher mathematical functions.
Depends on the preschooler. I remember adding and subtracting fractions at the age of four.

Well, sure, but by that standard you can never make any generalized statement on anything. A preschooler is not expected to be able to add and substract.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2014, 03:18:34 pm »
+2

Early fraction arithmetic leads to anarchy.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2014, 03:39:26 pm »
+1

Parsing the hint is half the work and the point is made if you struggle to simplify the problem sufficiently by interpolating your personal experiences as a pre-schooler. The problem is primarily one of inference as to the nature of the solution. The explicit obstacle lies in being overly literal. Thus, it is intended to be exceptionally hard for the mathematically minded. this is proven by the fact that once the solution is aired there remains debate as to whether the problem was correctly framed or not. In short, you still haven't solved the puzzle even though you have the answer and the function of solution.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2014, 03:43:21 pm »

Actually g(4) is ambiguous.  Maybe it should be 1 instead of 0.  Though in my handwriting it would be 0.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2014, 03:45:55 pm »

Actually g(4) is ambiguous.  Maybe it should be 1 instead of 0.  Though in my handwriting it would be 0.
conveniently, the puzzle has no 4s in it. Except for in the answers...

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2014, 03:48:05 pm »

conveniently, the puzzle has no 4s in it. Except for in the answers...

Yeah, I went back and checked.  Plus, it causes problems with the loop/circle thing. 

But I mean, it would be weird if you couldn't plug any number into the question slot.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2014, 04:05:07 pm »
+1

Today, my 2-year-old nephew learned what purpose does a flyswatter have and it made him cry. 
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2014, 04:06:29 pm »

Oh wow do not get me started.  I could rant so much about that from so many different directions...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2014, 04:11:05 pm »

Oh wow do not get me started.  I could rant so much about that from so many different directions...

I've tangentially heard about this... celebrities are pouring ice water on themselves for some reason ? What ?
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2014, 04:14:16 pm »

I've tangentially heard about this... celebrities are pouring ice water on themselves for some reason ? What ?

I don't know how it started exactly, but the cause is awareness and donations to research for ALS (aka amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, aka Lou Gehrig's disease, and what Stephen Hawking suffers from).  The idea is, you donate less if you dump the ice on yourself, then you challenge other people to dump ice or have to donate more.

It's moronic... and yet it has indeed raised millions for ALS research.  Which is great news for ALS sufferers (if they live long enough to see treatment, which they likely won't), but not so great news for... other charities.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2014, 04:19:36 pm »
+5

Kids call them circles

Like I said, Kids call them circles

And this is why I never let kids perform open-heart surgery on me. They're too dumb for this puzzle.
A man has no signature

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2014, 04:23:21 pm »

By the way : isn't the answer to the whole circle/loop conundrum to call them holes ? That's how I'd say it anyway.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2014, 04:23:36 pm »
+3

It's moronic... and yet it has indeed raised millions for ALS research.  Which is great news for ALS sufferers (if they live long enough to see treatment, which they likely won't), but not so great news for... other charities.

I view the ice-water gimmick as a good thing because it raises awareness. Well, really, it reminds people, because I think everyone knows of ALS, but sometimes it helps to remind people that it's still out there and could use more research. So these stupid stunts bring the disease to the foreground and raise money. Good on that!

Having said that, the stunt is really dumb because you're challenging someone to donate $100 (or whatever) or else pour ice water over your head. So when someone videos himself pouring water over his head, he is making a tacit admission that he would rather dump water on himself than donate $100 to ALS research. This is probably not true. I bet most of the people in the videos did donate something, though maybe not $100. But the statement is still there, so it's pretty dumb. The challenge really should be something like donating $100 and then proving it by videoing yourself with ice water on your head. Not that it proves much but again, awareness.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2014, 04:38:33 pm »
+6

I view the ice-water gimmick as a good thing because it raises awareness. Well, really, it reminds people, because I think everyone knows of ALS, but sometimes it helps to remind people that it's still out there and could use more research. So these stupid stunts bring the disease to the foreground and raise money. Good on that!

Having said that, the stunt is really dumb because you're challenging someone to donate $100 (or whatever) or else pour ice water over your head. So when someone videos himself pouring water over his head, he is making a tacit admission that he would rather dump water on himself than donate $100 to ALS research. This is probably not true. I bet most of the people in the videos did donate something, though maybe not $100. But the statement is still there, so it's pretty dumb. The challenge really should be something like donating $100 and then proving it by videoing yourself with ice water on your head. Not that it proves much but again, awareness.

A friend whose research is in water treatment and desalinization posted something to FB earlier today, pointing out that one of the major causes of death in the world is lack of access to fresh water.  And here we are dumping someone's daily supply of water over our heads as part of a bet to escape giving as much to charity.

As someone with little to donate to charity in any given year, I can think of a lot better causes than ALS research.  Consider that about 30000 people in the US suffer from ALS.  That's about the same as the number of people just in my home city (about 10% of the population) who rely on food banks for part of their sustenance.  A $10 donation to my local food bank is going to impact more lives today than a $100 donation to ALS research... for which a useful treatment is years or decades away.

I don't know, maybe I'm more "aware" than other people, but I wasn't ignorant of ALS prior to this.  I don't see awareness of a specific disease as a great goal.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2014, 04:40:19 pm »
+4

From the Canadian Press:

British Columbia's highest court is green-lighting medical marijuana in everything from oils and cookies to teas...

I have no idea whether the puns were intentional or not, but I find them hilarious.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2014, 05:04:24 pm »

I never even knew what the whole ice-water thing was, it was just one of those chain things.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.