Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1222338 times)

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #5275 on: August 21, 2015, 02:01:12 am »
+4

I played with Adventures for the first time yesterday. I used Save on a 2/5 opening, got a turn 2 Hoard, then used Save some more to spike $7 to get Inheritance on Monument, and man it was awesome. Two villages as well, and Monument every turn or even twice a turn, easy $8's, can get a Monustate and a gold as long any time I drew my Hoard (this actually only happened once when I couldn't afford a Province though). My opponents both went for Miser, which was fine, and Inherited Village, which I can understand why they did (suddenly turns your estates into cantrips and mean you're probably never going to run out of actions) but I don't think it was the right call due to a lack of draw, lots of extra actions were wasted.

I like Adventures.
I hardly think this can be classified as "random stuff". I mean, you do know you're on a dominion forum?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5276 on: August 21, 2015, 04:51:18 am »
+7

I just had a pretty rad dream. Sorry if this post is a little messy, I tried to type it up as soon as I could in order to forget as little as possible.

It was based around a mechanic were multiple people could have the same vision/dream on purpose (I think it was because of supernatural powers that only a few people had) and have full control over their actions within that vision. And then there were these NPCs in the vision world whose purpose was to prevent people from having these visions for too long by attacking them. It was also possible to enter visions within visions, but it was a little dangerous, because then if the NPCs were coming for you, they could slowly blend into the vision within a vision and it would take you a while before you realized that they are NPCs in actuality and then there was very little time to wake up from that vision and start running in the other vision. However, it was possible to trick the NPCs if you managed to do something nonsensical enough that you would appear as though you were actually a part of that vision and not the person experiencing it, but it was difficult because overdoing it made it immediately obvious to the NPCs that you were just faking it. When you successfully managed to trick the NPCs, there would be a glitch in the vision which resets everything and turns the vision into something entirely different.

The first levels of visions were just more absurd versions of our current reality (but they did symbolically represent the stuff you would see at the deeper levels, but you could only understand that after you had seen the actual events). But the deeper you got, the more interesting they got; we could enter into visions to witness events that really happened in the past (well, at least until the NPCs started to blend into them and ruin everything — they would become characters like Gandalf and then you had to realize that Gandalf didn't really exist to tell that it's actually an NPC and you're being attacked in the previous level of visions). Then we used this to unveil the dark secrets of the Savonlinna Cathedral which actually had a hidden dungeon thing where lots of people were getting tortured and killed. We believed that those people were being targeted on purpose because they knew something that the church wanted to keep hidden, and we also intended to find out what it was that they knew (unfortunately, my dream ended before this could happen). The killed people were definitely a part of some sort of secret order, because they had a secret song (which was the Halo theme) that they sang to identify each other. The ones we managed to investigate further had also very tragic pasts in general, not just because of the church. We think the knowledge was also religious in nature. We also actually managed to correctly identify the song as the Halo theme in the dream, and I think we would have also looked into that later, but we didn't get that far either.

We had a team of 7 people consisting of me, Tsumugi Kotobuki from K-On, Wild Flower from Jade Empire, the bassist from my band, my childhood friend, a guy that I didn't know (who, in retrospect, was exactly like one of my online friends) and a girl I didn't know (I still don't think I know anyone who resembles her). The others had been doing it for a longer time, I just joined the group that day. The guy that I didn't know was clearly the most experienced person. Wild Flower especially had a strong connection to the Halo theme, and sometimes she had to enter some visions without the rest of us because she was the only one who could do it. Luckily, she also had the ability to describe what's going on in her vision to us that weren't in the vision. My childhood friend and the girl I didn't know turned out to be lesbians at one point, and they were harshly criticized for that by a random older woman who saw them kissing, and then I felt bad about myself because I couldn't defend them in that situation, but I did encourage them to be the people they really are as much as I could after the fact since they looked like they were troubled by it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: August 21, 2015, 07:27:21 am »

Yo, make a novel.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: August 21, 2015, 11:01:44 am »

The premise sounds like a cross between Sense8 and Inception.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: August 21, 2015, 03:33:48 pm »

Well, my Galaxy S3 has lasted me decently enough, but it's starting to act weird. That sounds like the OS might be going wonky because my memory is full of crap. But it also has a hardware problem as one corner of my screen is radiating purple. This first happened about a year ago, and it was alarming but is pretty benign. I read horror stories of people who first had the purple splotch that quickly spread to the rest of the display until the phone was just a monochromatic slate. I was preparing to lose my phone at some point.

But it survived this long. I had other issues like my phone telling me that my data was corrupted a couple of times after a reboot. Another reboot got rid of the message. And today I restarted my phone, and it just kept rebooting over and over again. I shut it down and then started up after a pause. Back to normal now.

So yeah, time for a new phone. Galaxy S6 is the logical progression. My wife has one, and it seems to be working pretty well (not like the rumors I heard of the S5).
A man has no signature

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #5280 on: August 21, 2015, 04:06:17 pm »

I'm still using my Galadxy S2 (I replaced the speaker and USB connections though), but I'm starting to consider replacing it as well.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: August 21, 2015, 04:47:56 pm »

So yeah, time for a new phone. Galaxy S6 is the logical progression. My wife has one, and it seems to be working pretty well (not like the rumors I heard of the S5).

What rumours? My S5 is still holding up...

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: August 21, 2015, 06:55:26 pm »
+1

My Nokia 3510 is doing fine.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: August 21, 2015, 07:04:40 pm »

*Post about iPhone Master Race and how everyone who doesn't use an iPhone is an anti-Jobs plebe*

...I actually liked my HTC One Phone better...
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: August 22, 2015, 04:06:59 am »
+2

*Post about iPhone Master Race and how everyone who doesn't use an iPhone is an anti-Jobs plebe*

I think that kind of lingo isn't as well suited for here, Seprix. I know you mean no harm by it, but this is fds, not 4chan.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5285 on: August 22, 2015, 04:21:45 am »
+3

I think that kind of lingo isn't as well suited for here, Seprix. I know you mean no harm by it, but this is fds, not 4chan.

Yeah, you might offend the Ancient Romans.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: August 23, 2015, 01:01:28 am »
+1

This conversation happened while I was playing dominion online earlier:

Opponent: That didn't work right, did it?
Me: What didn't work right?
Opponent: King's Courting my Hunting Party.  I didn't draw any cards.
*short pause*
Me: You have no cards in your deck.
Opponent: lol
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: August 23, 2015, 08:52:02 am »

What rumours? My S5 is still holding up...

Recently replaced my S3 with a S5. Chose the S5 over the S6 for 2 reasons; way more root and ROM options and the S5 was the zero price option. I've been extremely happy with it. Also, the removable battery and expandable memory.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: August 24, 2015, 01:13:52 pm »

It's kinda telling that three fairly recent movies (Red State, Kingsmen, God Bless America) feature killings of the Westboro Baptist Church (but not really Westboro because we're not gonna get sued). It's like a revenge fantasy or something.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: August 25, 2015, 09:47:15 am »
+2

"Wait, why aren't you at the libbary?"
"My study group has already fallen apart. Can you teach me math?"
"Girl, didn't you just hear me say 'libbary'?"

That was an exchange from the Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt series on Netflix, a series I'm starting to really fall in love with. That joke really cinched it for me. So meta.

I posted that on Facebook. I had three offers from people to tutor me in math. I has a sad. That meant they didn't read the humorous dialogue.
A man has no signature

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: August 25, 2015, 10:49:20 am »

I don't get it.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: August 25, 2015, 11:02:51 am »

I don't get it.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: August 25, 2015, 11:12:36 am »
+1

I don't get it.

I can explain.

Libbary is a math term that relates to a system of numerical notation that has base 2 instead of 10.

It's a math joke.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: August 25, 2015, 11:47:57 am »

I don't get it.

I can explain.

Libbary is a math term that relates to a system of numerical notation that has base 2 instead of 10.

It's a math joke.
...no it isn't? A google search showed up nothing relevant for 'libbary'. It might be referencing something else in the show, since Kuildeous said it was so meta.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: August 25, 2015, 11:54:47 am »
+4

Hypothesis: someone that doesn't know how to say / pronounce "library" is not expected to have a good education, and hence is not supposed to be able to teach mathematics. It's meta because the character in that sketch doesn't know how to pronounce library, yet is somehow aware that he is not doing it right, and what it says about his education.

Am I making the joke funnier?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5295 on: August 25, 2015, 12:01:32 pm »

That was so absurd that I did not even consider that.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: August 25, 2015, 12:12:48 pm »
+1

Hypothesis: someone that doesn't know how to say / pronounce "library" is not expected to have a good education, and hence is not supposed to be able to teach mathematics. It's meta because the character in that sketch doesn't know how to pronounce library, yet is somehow aware that he is not doing it right, and what it says about his education.

I loved the explanation.

It may be more of an American thing. I'm sure all countries have their share of lazy talking, but in America there are some words that just really stand out. Library, ask, and nuclear are examples of words that often get mush-mouthed into something else.

And yeah, it's generally a stereotype that less educated people will pronounce those words incorrectly.

So it is indeed someone recognizing that he's not educated enough to tutor someone by pointing at a marker that demonstrates his lack of education, which implies that he is educated enough to know he used the word incorrectly—and not in an ironic way.

I had not taken into account that this joke wouldn't work so well outside of America. That still doesn't explain why three of my Facebook American friends thought I needed a math tutor.
A man has no signature

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: August 25, 2015, 12:37:55 pm »
+1

Much funnier.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5298 on: August 25, 2015, 01:09:58 pm »

my Facebook American friends

I didn't know there was a Facebook America.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: August 25, 2015, 01:26:52 pm »
+2

my Facebook American friends

I didn't know there was a Facebook America.

That's a typo.

I meant Facebook-Americans.
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.576 seconds with 20 queries.