Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1218144 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #5175 on: August 12, 2015, 12:54:24 pm »

I'm beginning to doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #5176 on: August 12, 2015, 01:06:22 pm »
+1

I'm certain you're all nerds.
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #5177 on: August 12, 2015, 02:50:34 pm »

I'm certain you're all nerds.

Hell yes.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5178 on: August 12, 2015, 04:10:50 pm »

Any Japanese speakers on here? I have a question about a faux translation I want to do as a sort of joke, but I'm not sure how well it'd work. That probably wouldn't stop me from trying it, but I would like to know just how badly I'm going to mangle this translation.
A man has no signature

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #5179 on: August 12, 2015, 04:11:25 pm »

Any Japanese speakers on here? I have a question about a faux translation I want to do as a sort of joke, but I'm not sure how well it'd work. That probably wouldn't stop me from trying it, but I would like to know just how badly I'm going to mangle this translation.

I can try to help.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #5180 on: August 12, 2015, 04:49:58 pm »

I'm beginning to doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

nice reference.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5181 on: August 12, 2015, 04:53:34 pm »
+4

Any Japanese speakers on here?

Sorry, my speakers were made in China.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #5182 on: August 12, 2015, 05:04:01 pm »

Stop China make jokes.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #5183 on: August 12, 2015, 05:23:50 pm »

What's their user name?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5184 on: August 12, 2015, 06:31:51 pm »
+2

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +807
    • View Profile
« Reply #5185 on: August 13, 2015, 05:38:55 am »

Yesterday, I recognized I'd always missed this guy without even knowing him.

Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5186 on: August 13, 2015, 02:01:23 pm »

I can try to help.

Cool. Sent you a PM.
A man has no signature

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5187 on: August 13, 2015, 02:28:10 pm »
+4

So, I have a random question for you guys.  I want to study particle physics.  My dad will let me stay at home for free as long as I'm in college.  Because of how poor my family is, financial aid will pretty much pay for all of my tuition.  So, if I stay local, I'll go to college for free.

The problem is, no colleges near me have particle physics.  I'm sure that I'll need more than just a bachelor's degree, so I was wondering: would it be worth it to go to a local college to get a more general physics degree, then maybe save some money and go somewhere else for my master's (and maybe doctorate)?
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5188 on: August 13, 2015, 02:33:08 pm »

So, I have a random question for you guys.  I want to study particle physics.  My dad will let me stay at home for free as long as I'm in college.  Because of how poor my family is, financial aid will pretty much pay for all of my tuition.  So, if I stay local, I'll go to college for free.

The problem is, no colleges near me have particle physics.  I'm sure that I'll need more than just a bachelor's degree, so I was wondering: would it be worth it to go to a local college to get a more general physics degree, then maybe save some money and go somewhere else for my master's (and maybe doctorate)?

My vote is yes.  I think your personal dedication and desire to learn will do more than the advantages of a larger or more prestigious school.  I mean, you can always get books and read on your own.  The one issue to consider with particle physics is the availability of labs.  But I would think most schools have something reasonable. 

I'm assuming you have a least a regular full four-year college/university local to you.  A community college probably wouldn't cut it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 03:13:13 pm by Witherweaver »

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #5189 on: August 13, 2015, 03:09:14 pm »

I would strongly recommend living away from home if possible.  I'd struggle to say exactly why, but I think it's an important part of the overall experience. 

I'd also recommend going to the absolute best place for particle physics that you can manage, especially if you want to do research.  There are three reasons.  The most important is that you want to be with other bright people with the same interests, and they will tend to congregate in places with a good reputation for the subject.  The second is that you want to have access to brilliant faculty.  The third, silly reason is that it sadly does matter what name is printed on your degree certificate: it's a certificate that you've enjoyed advantages 1 and 2.  It's not impossible to do well starting out anywhere, but there's a lot of competition for research places and coming from a background that people understand with references from stars in the field is much more reassuring to an admissions panel than a random university of uncertain quality.

Aim as high as you can.  I won't pretend to understand the US system, but in the UK the top universities offer a lot of support to students from poorer backgrounds (my education cost me essentially nothing, including my living costs).  Make sure you find out what's on offer.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #5190 on: August 13, 2015, 03:46:40 pm »
+1

From what I've heard, these days doing research as an undergrad is practically a requirement for graduate school. If you aren't able to do lots of research in what you're interested in at this college, probably better to go somewhere else.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: August 13, 2015, 04:02:10 pm »
+2

I won't pretend to understand the US system

And suddenly the rest of your post makes so much more sense.

I don't know anything about the field of particle physics. I think the university you choose should largely be a function of how many job openings/research grants there are for your chosen field. My sister just started her dissertation for her PhD in Philosophy. With a PhD in Philosophy, your ideal job is usually Professor of Philosophy, and there are precious few of those positions. There's not much point in spending the rest of your life in crippling student debt if you're not likely to be able to land a job where your degree pays off. If you do choose to pursue that kind of career, the pedigree of your university starts to matter a lot more, I would think.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 04:03:34 pm by LastFootnote »

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: August 13, 2015, 04:11:28 pm »

I dunno, I'm just going into film editing with my poor money.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5193 on: August 13, 2015, 04:59:06 pm »
+3

I won't pretend to understand the US system, but in the UK...

You could have started and ended your post there.  To paraphrase Douglas Adams, the university system in the US is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike university systems in Europe.

Tuition at my hometown college (University of Toledo, where I got my two BSs and one of my Masters) is currently $9200/yr, in-state tuition for a state-subsidized college.  (This is not quite double what it was when I went there 20 years ago, after adjusting for inflation, but the hyperinflation of tuition is a topic for a different time.)  Room and board is a bit more than that, about $10k/yr.

If you're lucky, smart, and poor, you'll be able to pull that tuition number down into the $2k/yr range, which you'll have to cover with loans.  If you only fit one or two of those categories, you're probably going to be stuck with 4-5k/yr in loans, though the variance is going to be higher (see "lucky.")

For someone coming from even a middle-class family, living away from home is an expensive proposition.  It's 20% of the median family income in the US, just for room and board, and unless your family has a ton of extra savings, that's 40k in non-dischargeable loans at 6% interest over 4 years.  Note that living off-campus isn't likely to help the situation all that much; while your rent will be lower with a roommate, you're still spending money on furnishings and the like... and you likely won't be able to use student loans for it, where you might be able to for on-campus housing.

For someone from a poor family, loans are the only way to go, and they follow you forever.

Aim as high as you can.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsiolkovsky_rocket_equation

You can aim for the stars, but if you don't have enough fuel, you're going to crash, or possibly burn up in the atmosphere.

--------

So to speak to sudgy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multistage_rocket

I've personally never heard of an undergraduate degree in particle physics; it's possible they exist, but that doesn't automatically mean you should go for it.  I'd say that yes, get a BS in physics from your local university.  Try to do some undergraduate research; if you're lucky, you may get paid for it, and if you're very, very lucky, you might have a paper with your name on it before your undergrad career is done.  Then once you've burned through your first stage rocket, aim high with the second stage and apply to a bunch of grad schools, especially if your grades are great.  You still might not end up in the most prestigious place possible--very few do so--but if your plan is to go into industry or practical research, rather than to attempt to go into academia, the pedigree on your diploma isn't nearly as important.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: August 13, 2015, 05:05:51 pm »
+2

Something that is really cool, no matter where you go:

REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates)

Basically a summer program where you do research with a professor.  I did one between my Junior and Seniors years of undergrad (at the same college I was attending, though in general you'd go to another one) in math.  It was a lot of fun.. worked on a problem, wrote a paper, did a little presentation.  The advisor for the project went on to publish a paper that used some of the things that come up in the REU research, so my name ended up as a coauthor.  You also usually get housing and a small stipend.  This was in math, but I'm sure there are many in physics, and probably a number that deal with your specific interest.

Wherever you go, consider this for a Summer or two, probably starting after Sophomore year (not sure if places accept finishing Freshmen). 

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #5195 on: August 13, 2015, 05:07:04 pm »
+1

While it wasn't very cool living with my parents all though undergrad, honestly, considering I managed to get out of undergrad with $0 in loans, I think I came off better than a lot of my friends did. If you can tolerate living with your family, consider the upside for sure. I do agree with qmech that living on your own is great, and you learn how to handle life better that way for sure, but it's just not realistic for some people in the States. Starting my Master's now (7 years later, should have been earlier) and tuition is $6500 a semester, which is less than for undergrads at only a pretty good school. I cannot imagine having to pay for that and housing. If you have a scholarship that covers costs, great, but no matter what idealists will tell you about education being the most important thing, there are some prices you should think twice about paying.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 12:37:59 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: August 13, 2015, 05:14:20 pm »
+5

Quote from: all

Sorry, I forget exactly how messed up your education system is. :(  Take it as advice for a hypothetical European with their heart set on academia.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 07:22:17 pm by qmech »

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: August 13, 2015, 07:02:06 pm »
+1

Quote from: all

Sorry, I forget exactly how messed your education system is. :(

Man, "messed" is a severe understatement. :)

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: August 13, 2015, 07:07:58 pm »

Why do they keep changing YouTube!?

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: August 13, 2015, 07:17:29 pm »
+2

I'm european, and one that hasn't gone to university at that, but I would strongly recommend moving away from your family and living on your own, all other things being equal. It's wonderful having to grow up, and at least for me it made me appreciate my family so much more, which resulted in me being a better son/brother for them. Of course that growth could have happened regardless of me moving out young, but I'm fairly certain it sped it up.
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.441 seconds with 20 queries.