Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 230  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part II  (Read 1218066 times)

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part II
« Reply #5050 on: August 02, 2015, 01:02:22 am »
+8

Quote from: Wikipedia
"Some checkers sets have red and black pieces. Then the red pieces are called "White" and the black pieces "Red."

This seems like a logical naming convention.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5051 on: August 02, 2015, 08:01:08 am »

Is there a thread where people post riddles? Not dominion riddles, just regular riddles.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13128.msg487080#msg487080

Kinda
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #5052 on: August 02, 2015, 10:38:02 am »

Is there a thread where people post riddles? Not dominion riddles, just regular riddles.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13128.msg487080#msg487080

Kinda
thanx! Exactly what I wanted

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5053 on: August 02, 2015, 03:12:02 pm »
+2

YouTube told me to watch this again. So I did.

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #5054 on: August 02, 2015, 03:27:08 pm »
+3

More terrible talk about the Metric system:

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2015/07/us/metric-road-american-story/

''I hear that the meter is based on a rod somewhere outside of Paris,'' Wolfe said, according to the Times story. ''To use that as a basis for measurement is completely arbitrary and intellectual. I should say I have tremendous admiration for the French, but a matter of this importance should not be left to them. I like the idea of the foot - as a measurement in relation to the human body.''

Know what a foot is based on?  I'll give you a hint.  It has to do with the length of a piece of metal somewhere outside of a city in France:

A foot (pl. feet; abbreviation: ft; symbol: ′, the prime symbol) is a unit of length in the imperial and US customary systems of measurement. Since 1959, both units have been defined by international agreement as equivalent to 0.3048 meters exactly. In both systems, the foot comprises 12 inches and three feet compose a yard.

Edit: (The article is somewhat about the history of the argument; I think that quote was back in the 80s.)

« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 03:28:16 pm by Witherweaver »

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #5055 on: August 02, 2015, 04:54:54 pm »

More terrible talk about the Metric system:

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2015/07/us/metric-road-american-story/

''I hear that the meter is based on a rod somewhere outside of Paris,'' Wolfe said, according to the Times story. ''To use that as a basis for measurement is completely arbitrary and intellectual. I should say I have tremendous admiration for the French, but a matter of this importance should not be left to them. I like the idea of the foot - as a measurement in relation to the human body.''

Know what a foot is based on?  I'll give you a hint.  It has to do with the length of a piece of metal somewhere outside of a city in France:

A foot (pl. feet; abbreviation: ft; symbol: ′, the prime symbol) is a unit of length in the imperial and US customary systems of measurement. Since 1959, both units have been defined by international agreement as equivalent to 0.3048 meters exactly. In both systems, the foot comprises 12 inches and three feet compose a yard.

Edit: (The article is somewhat about the history of the argument; I think that quote was back in the 80s.)

WHY!? ITS ALWAYS THE METRIC SYSTEM IN RANDOM!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 04:56:35 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: August 02, 2015, 05:08:31 pm »
+4

Wait that's not even right. The meter is NOT defined in terms of 'some rod'. It used to be in terms of a platinum-iridium bar, but now it is defined as the distance light travels in --very small but specific amount of time--. The speed of light in a vacuum is a constant, defined to be EXACTLY 2.99*10^8 m/s, though the actual number is written out to more digits. Instead of measuring more precisely the speed of light, we measure more precisely how long a meter is.

Wait, how long is a second? I'm glad you asked. It's the amount of time it takes a caesium-133 atom to oscillate a whole bunch of times, or something like that.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 05:09:58 pm by liopoil »

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: August 02, 2015, 05:26:30 pm »

Wait, how long is a second? I'm glad you asked. It's the amount of time it takes a caesium-133 atom to oscillate a whole bunch of times, or something like that.

Of course, the actual number is written out to more digits.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: August 02, 2015, 05:47:02 pm »

Wait that's not even right. The meter is NOT defined in terms of 'some rod'. It used to be in terms of a platinum-iridium bar, but now it is defined as the distance light travels in --very small but specific amount of time--. The speed of light in a vacuum is a constant, defined to be EXACTLY 2.99*10^8 m/s, though the actual number is written out to more digits. Instead of measuring more precisely the speed of light, we measure more precisely how long a meter is.

I believe that was before they changed the definition. 

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: August 02, 2015, 08:35:01 pm »
+1

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: August 03, 2015, 05:17:26 pm »

Here's a question I'm having surprisingly difficulty answering: is it possible to block all third party cookies except those set whilst using a fixed first party website?  My particular problem is that Twitch no longer saves quality settings, but whitelisting the appropriate domains seems to get overridden by the global third party block.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: August 03, 2015, 09:29:10 pm »
+3

I ran two kilometers today.

My kidney nearly fell out of my ear.

I think I should exercise more.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: August 03, 2015, 11:40:01 pm »
+2

I believe that was before they changed the definition. 

Nope.  The definition was changed in 1960, and Wolfe's quote in that article was from 1979.

But that's still not the whole story, since the metal bar was never anything but a reference standard.  The original definition was based on a reference every reasonable person should think makes sense, an easily measurable distance on the surface of the Earth.  The fact that the Earth's circumference is within much less than 1% error from 40 000 km is not an accident or coincidence.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: August 03, 2015, 11:41:14 pm »
+2

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: August 03, 2015, 11:42:09 pm »

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: August 04, 2015, 01:04:57 am »
+1

A 5k is right around the corner.  Just train hard and you will get there.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: August 04, 2015, 02:00:17 am »

Today I hiked ~12 miles, most of which was uphill. I saw a spectacular waterfall. Probably as tall as some of the things we call mountains back in Maryland.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: August 04, 2015, 09:13:17 am »
+1

I don't know about this garbage at all. I am very fit and strong with a significantly higher than average daily activity level.
That said, I hate running and it is not included in my fitness routine.
Recently I decided I would participate in a local annual 5K that my coworkers sponsor.
I got the Couch 2 5K program and $120 fitted shoes and started the program. The program expects you to run 3 days in every 7. Impossible for me. The beating my knees and ankles take is excruciating and it is taking longer and longer between each session to feel like maybe I can do the next. The actual running isn't a big deal at all. I ran this morning and now I can barely walk. I had hoped that there was just going to be an adjustment period where my joints adapted to the abuse but it does not seem to be the case. I was just thinking I would have experienced less punishment to have just run the 5K on the day of and taken that beating instead of 27 beatings beforehand.

Before you tell me I  must be doing ti wrong, I've consulted with a few coworkers who are avid runners and with the staff at the running store and everyone says my gait and pace seems fine. I'm beginning to think all runners are idiotic masochists who want to be wheelchair bound in their old age.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: August 04, 2015, 10:48:39 am »
+2

When your bank offers you a pre-approved line of credit, is there any reason to refuse?  I don't need the credit now, but I am told that it will be a hassle if I wait until I do and it doesn't hurt me to get it now.  Anything I should be wary of?

There is such a thing as having too much credit. Potential lenders may think you're a risk if you have too many lines of credit open. How much of a risk? I honestly don't know. It might not even be that big of a deal.

But if you don't already have credit cards, then take one. Not having credit also hurts you later because lenders can't gauge what kind of risk you are. If you have a line of credit open that isn't really used, then that shows up, and they know that you are not a credit risk.

So already got a bunch of credit? You can decline this offer. Have only one or two? Sure, why not? Just make sure there are no hidden fees now or after the introductory period.
A man has no signature

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: August 04, 2015, 11:16:08 am »
+1

I don't know about this garbage at all. I am very fit and strong with a significantly higher than average daily activity level.
Recently I decided I would participate in a local annual 5K that my coworkers sponsor.
I got the Couch 2 5K program and $120 fitted shoes and started the program. The program expects you to run 3 days in every 7. Impossible for me. The beating my knees and ankles take is excruciating and it is taking longer and longer between each session to feel like maybe I can do the next. The actual running isn't a big deal at all. I ran this morning and now I can barely walk. I had hoped that there was just going to be an adjustment period where my joints adapted to the abuse but it does not seem to be the case. I was just thinking I would have experienced less punishment to have just run the 5K on the day of and taken that beating instead of 27 beatings beforehand.

Before you tell me I  must be doing ti wrong, I've consulted with a few coworkers who are avid runners and with the staff at the running store and everyone says my gait and pace seems fine. I'm beginning to think all runners are idiotic masochists who want to be wheelchair bound in their old age.

Well, it's more of a brisk jog than full-on running, although I don't know when one becomes the other. I don't intend to start doing long runs every day of the week, but 2 km is very little compared to what most of my friends of my age can do. Well, those that aren't entering a symbiotic relationship with their chair like I am.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5070 on: August 04, 2015, 11:18:09 am »

Well, it's more of a brisk jog than full-on running, although I don't know when one becomes the other. I don't intend to start doing long runs every day of the week, but 2 km is very little compared to what most of my friends of my age can do. Well, those that aren't entering a symbiotic relationship with their chair like I am.

Maybe you could put wheels on the chair and power them through a motor to outperform your friends.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5071 on: August 04, 2015, 12:05:01 pm »
+3

Super Mario Sunshine is great.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #5072 on: August 04, 2015, 12:08:50 pm »
+1

Right, the C25K program begins with Run 1 minute and Walk 1 minute 30 seconds for 8 intervals. It increments from there with each increment being repeated 3 times within a 7 day period. I'm on day 5 of the program. Within this amount of time I am doing just over 4K pretty much every time. Sometimes I go a little farther and sometimes I go a little faster. At any rate it hurts during and well after.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5073 on: August 04, 2015, 12:18:57 pm »

Dunno anything about this, but you might want to check with a physician before you break something important?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #5074 on: August 04, 2015, 02:34:46 pm »
+1

Sell me a game console.

Lego Dimensions is coming, I need a new DVD player (and I guess Blu-Ray as well), and the kids are getting old enough that it's time to really game with them.

I despise the FPS genre, sometimes enjoy puzzle-platforms and ARPGs.  Strategy gaming probably stays on the PC because who wants to play Civ with a hand controller?

I have never owned a console, and the last one I spent significant gaming time on was an Atari 2600.  What should I get?  Help me f.ds, you're my only hope.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 230  All

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 20 queries.