Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Difficulties to find a game  (Read 5972 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Difficulties to find a game
« on: August 14, 2014, 08:13:31 pm »

Lately, it has been extremely difficult to find a game on Goko. Typically, there's 0-2 other L30+ people in each lobby, and all of them are playing a game against someone below my Iso level requirement or afk. It can take easily 30 minutes before I find a game I can play, even with automatch on and constantly checking every lobby. It's especially irritating in the mornings (in GMT+3), but it's a problem to some extent no matter when I happen to be in the mood for some Dominion.

Anyone else notice this or am I just imagining things?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
Re: Difficulties to find a game
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 08:20:57 pm »

I think this has been an issue for a while - it's just too annoying to go through every room to find somebody, plus general slowness to check another person's rating, plus not that many people in automatch. It's not just a raw # issue either, you have to overlap in playing times.

That's why I pretty much only play my league matches now - if it takes a long time to start a game, and I have to be ready to start that game at any time, I'd rather play something else instead.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 09:35:26 pm »

I've noticed this too, and I'm definitely in a different tier (lower) than everyone else, so it happens there too.

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 03:40:15 am »

I haven't tried looking for games with Iso level—I still use 5000+.  I turned on "show Iso levels" for the first time recently though, and was surprised that most of my opponents were around L25.  So I can well believe that looking for games at L30+ might be tricky.

For what it's worth, I don't have any problem getting games (although I've not been playing so much outside the league).

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 12:29:33 pm »
+1

I haven't tried looking for games with Iso level—I still use 5000+.  I turned on "show Iso levels" for the first time recently though, and was surprised that most of my opponents were around L25.  So I can well believe that looking for games at L30+ might be tricky.

For what it's worth, I don't have any problem getting games (although I've not been playing so much outside the league).

Aaaand that is where Goko's rating system differs.  I'm around 4000, but L25.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 02:22:01 pm »

Even back on Iso, limiting yourself to 30+ was a recipe for rarely playing.  That category includes only what, 100 players total?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 02:28:48 pm »

Even back on Iso, limiting yourself to 30+ was a recipe for rarely playing.  That category includes only what, 100 players total?
317 players. EDIT: For the record, the #317 player on the Goko Pro leaderboard has a rating of 5150.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:30:40 pm by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 02:31:29 pm »

317 players. EDIT: For the record, the #317 player on the Goko Pro leaderboard has a rating of 5150.

Weird, I just looked at GS.com and there are only 180 players at 30+...
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 02:32:47 pm »

Weird, I just looked at GS.com and there are only 180 players at 30+...

Oh, that's probably the difference between the partial and the full leaderboard then.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 02:40:12 pm »
+2

The players who haven't played a Pro game in a month (and aren't on the partial leaderboard) are likely to be inactive (as opposed to playing non-pro games and waiting for a pro game to come along). In comparison, the Goko Pro leaderboard heavily rewards playing, so the people who are in the top 317 are likely to be much more active on average than the top 317 players on the full Iso leaderboard.

Therefore, 5000+ seems vastly more likely to get you a game than L30+. However, because Goko penalizes inactivity, a better approach might be to use an iso level filter, but reduce the requirement (e.g., L25+), so that you do not filter out skilled players who are not currently playing frequently.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 02:42:57 pm by JW »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 02:45:14 pm »
+1

Piggybacking on the Goko vs Isotropish rating system, the Goko rating system rewards runs significantly more - I think I'm still in top 5 or top 10 on the Goko board, while being nowhere near there in Isotropish/in practice.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 04:15:40 pm »
+9

I have no problems finding a game. I also play lower levels of players, so I have more people to play against. My advice is to stop being so good. Then you'll have more people to play against.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2014, 04:12:34 pm »

I just ask for L25+, so the waiting time is acceptable. But I understand why you dont want to do that.

well, I'd like very much to play longer series with you, if you're interested. that might partly solve your problem. I'm on vacation for one week from now on, but I'll probably spend a ton of time playing after that, and I pretty much have time all the time, so we could schedule some matches :)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 04:39:35 am »

I just ask for L25+, so the waiting time is acceptable. But I understand why you dont want to do that.

well, I'd like very much to play longer series with you, if you're interested. that might partly solve your problem. I'm on vacation for one week from now on, but I'll probably spend a ton of time playing after that, and I pretty much have time all the time, so we could schedule some matches :)
I would definitely be interested in that. Actually, it could be cool if we had a thread for scheduling matches against other forum users just for fun.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 02:47:49 pm »

I would definitely be interested in that. Actually, it could be cool if we had a thread for scheduling matches against other forum users just for fun.

I made a thread for that idea, but noone cared...

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 02:51:20 pm »

I think people didn't want it because you were suggesting someone create something formal as opposed to just a place for people to post when they are on.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 02:53:05 pm »

I think people didn't want it because you were suggesting someone create something formal as opposed to just a place for people to post when they are on.

yea, maybe. I didn't want to do that, because that's basically the same as the Outpost thread, which noone is using

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 04:16:18 pm »

Though, the Outpost thread was usually used spontaneously, and usually the person was already gone at the time when you read his post. A thread where you can post that you're going to be available tomorrow after 4 PM could be more useful.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 06:42:30 pm »

well I'm not going to try it again
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.