Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60]  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 347045 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #1475 on: June 10, 2021, 01:29:07 pm »
+1

Just watched Swiss Army Man. It was amazing. Really, really loved it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: June 11, 2021, 09:48:44 am »
+2

Between this, Guns Akimbo, and the Miracle Workers series, I'm really digging Daniel Radcliffe's freedom to film whatever madness he wants as he cashes his Harry Potter checks. Dude is living the dream (I hope; I haven't dug into his personal life to see if it sucks).

SAM was a fun, whimsical film. It did get rather sad and downright creepy at the end.

How many actors can proudly put on their CV that they played a great corpse?
A man has no signature

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: June 11, 2021, 02:12:05 pm »

Between this, Guns Akimbo, and the Miracle Workers series, I'm really digging Daniel Radcliffe's freedom to film whatever madness he wants as he cashes his Harry Potter checks. Dude is living the dream (I hope; I haven't dug into his personal life to see if it sucks).

SAM was a fun, whimsical film. It did get rather sad and downright creepy at the end.

How many actors can proudly put on their CV that they played a great corpse?

Also loved Guns Akimbo. The last 5 minutes of SAM were my least favorite part of the movie; but it wasn't bad enough to ruin it for me.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: June 11, 2021, 02:23:42 pm »

You know, I didn't love the ending of SAM either. I'm generally okay with weird, ambiguous endings, but this one didn't do it for me. Felt almost like they had to wrap things up without a clear direction. But the reveal was nice.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 02:25:43 pm by Kuildeous »
A man has no signature

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: January 10, 2022, 04:25:48 pm »

A year in movies...

I watched far fewer films in 2021 compared to 2020. 136 total; 68 for the first time. Of the first-time movies; my top 10, in the order I watched them in:
  • Resolution (2012)
  • The Miracle Worker (1962)
  • Tenet (2020)
  • 41 (2012)
  • Swiss Army Man (2016)
  • Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (2011)
  • Just Mercy (2019)
  • Drive (2011)
  • Parasite (2019)
  • Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021)
Honorable mentions:
  • Soul (2020)
  • Shazam! (2019)
  • Suddenly (1954)
  • Upgrade (2018)
  • The Big Short (2015)
My number one of the year was definitely Swiss Army Man. I can't say it's for everyone, so you might not like it. But I loved every minute of it.

victor11

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: February 28, 2022, 07:02:28 am »

If anyone of y'all a fan of thriller movies, go watch Run (2020).
I bet you, you'll become a fan of Sarah Paulson once you watch it. Her face is made for such thriller movies man

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: March 11, 2022, 06:10:55 pm »
+3

My partner and I have recently watched all 9 main series star war films, in release order. There will be some spoilers throughout. Here are our rough opinions on them:

* IV: A New Hope - Incredible film, slightly soured by Lucas' insistence on "improving" things with mostly awkward edits (why do we need the exact same Han Solo scene to play out twice, with Jabba and Greedo?). Action scenes are a little awkward at times, but the story is great. My 2nd favourite in the franchise.

* V: The Empire Strikes Back - Even better than the original, which it builds on well. We of course knew the big reveal with Vader at the end but it's still so well done. Action scenes and lightsaber duels are better done than the original. My favourite of the nine.

* VI: Return of the Jedi - Not as good as the first two, I feel like the Leia is Luke's sister reveal is just a little... forced in the context of the first two films. Like they wanted to replicate the success of the Vader reveal but couldn't quite do it right. Otherwise it's a really great film. My 4th favourite.

* I: The Phantom Menace - It's prequel memes time! Qui-gon and Obi-Wan are the real strength of this film, Anakin and everything around him is the biggest issue. Bigger than Jar-Jar. Like... little 9 year old slave boy, somehow able to build his own pod racer, using... what money? How does he afford to do this? And his ship is somehow able to compete with all these competitive (and cheating) racing experts with ships built by adults. Simultaneously along with his magic slave money tree he also builds a droid. What kind of droid? One to help him and his mum as they are destitute... nah just kidding he builds a translator droid, of course. And somehow little 9 year old Anakin convinces a teenage queen to semi-fall in love with him, not creepy at all. Yeah, there's issues here. On the plus side, from this point on the lightsaber duels tend to be much better, which is cool.

* II: Attack of the Clones - More memes. Despite watching this less than a month ago I honestly barely remember the overall plot. Teenage Anakin is arrogant, creepy and angsty, which honestly is exactly how he should be portrayed. His dialogue maybe could have been improved but he's well acted I feel. Obi-Wan carries the film again, though.

* III: Revenge of the Sith - I remember saying to my partner of this one, it feels like they ran out of plot to write and so substituted in more action packed lightsaber duels. I lost count of how many there are, at least 6 I think (Dooku, Obi vs Grievous, Anakin vs Grievous, Windu + Anakin + Palpatine, Yoda vs Palpatine, Obi vs Anakin). Anakin's switch in the Windu and Palpatine scene feels very sudden. Like he was building up to betrayal at that point but he just switches from "he should stand trial" to "Ima kill all Jedi now" in about 3 seconds. The Padme birth scene at the end is hilariously bad. Overall not good.

* VII: The Force Awakens - It feels somewhat generic. I don't really like the way Kylo Ren acts in this one, it feels like they're trying to force another Vader character but without it building up the respect it needs. And in general Ray and her situation feels quite contrived, with how it builds up. The map macguffin plot also feels quite weak, like... can you really not identify that area of space? But somehow R2D2 had a near perfect map of everything else and that's what you needed? The Han death scene was excellently done, and I feel like that really helped sell Ren's character as something good.

* VIII: The Last Jedi - Okay, controversial opinion time. This is the 3rd best Star Wars film. I went in with low expectations and I was blown away. The plot was constantly unpredictable with little twists and surprises throughout, yet they rarely felt random or just thrown in for the sake of it. After most of these twists I immediately went, "Ah, that's what was being foreshadowed". Luke's character I feel was done very well, and fits what you'd expect of someone who had huge burdens and expectations placed upon them which they catastrophically failed to reach. Kylo manages to become a truly interesting character and Rey develops alongside him, and I loved the reveal about Rey's parents. And the final Luke vs Ren fight scene was done so well, with a great twist reveal - there was hinting he wasn't really there, and that's why he was dodging everything, as well you can't interact through space. The film wasn't perfect, the Leia floating into the airlock scene in particular was dumb. But overall, it was a great film with a few dumb moments.

* IX: The Rise of Skywalker - I had heard lots of bad things about this film, even more than VIII so again went in with low expectations, and it managed to drop below them in about the first 5 minutes. Bringing back Palpatine was dumb. Changing Ray's lineage to try and pull a "Vader" moment was VERY dumb and just cheapened the big reveal from The Last Jedi. Ray and Ren suddenly being able to physically interact through a distance felt super dumb and inconsistent after VIII, where it was a pretty plot point that you CAN'T do that. And while I know Force Healing is a thing in the extended Star Wars universe, Rey suddenly being able to use it here felt pretty ridiculous as well. The entire plot was built around a silly macguffin as well. The Leia scenes all felt very fake, they did not do Carrie Fisher justice. Still, some of the lightsaber duels were great, and the moment that Rey handed Ren the lightsaber was at least internally consistent, which made for a pretty cool scene. Overall, it was a dumb film with a few great moments.

Overall, the original series was the best, the Prequels are badly written but have cool worlds and stories, the sequels, watch 7+8 and just don't bother with 9.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: March 12, 2022, 01:58:04 pm »
+3

* VIII: The Last Jedi - Okay, controversial opinion time. This is the 3rd best Star Wars film. I went in with low expectations and I was blown away. The plot was constantly unpredictable with little twists and surprises throughout, yet they rarely felt random or just thrown in for the sake of it. After most of these twists I immediately went, "Ah, that's what was being foreshadowed". Luke's character I feel was done very well, and fits what you'd expect of someone who had huge burdens and expectations placed upon them which they catastrophically failed to reach. Kylo manages to become a truly interesting character and Rey develops alongside him, and I loved the reveal about Rey's parents. And the final Luke vs Ren fight scene was done so well, with a great twist reveal - there was hinting he wasn't really there, and that's why he was dodging everything, as well you can't interact through space. The film wasn't perfect, the Leia floating into the airlock scene in particular was dumb. But overall, it was a great film with a few dumb moments.

Controversial perhaps, but still 100% correct.

I didn't particularly like any of the new trilogy, but VIII was for sure the best.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #1483 on: March 12, 2022, 03:21:05 pm »
+2

I agree with pretty much all of that analysis, except for the part about TLJ. For me, TLJ is hands down the best of the 9. Even people who liked the movie seemed to universally dislike a few scenes (Canto Bight and Leia flying through space) which I thought were particularly good. The whole idea of her being able to tap into that power when she needed it the most, like someone lifting a car to save a child, was compelling to me.

TRoS had many good points, including C3PO finally being an enjoyable character, but its main problem was that it broke the #1 rule of improv. It's totally fine that they went into the trilogy without a clear plan for all three movies; apparently it wasn't even decided that Vader was Luke's father until writing the script for ESB. But if you do that, you have to follow the "yes and" rule and not just undo a major plot point of the previous film.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: March 12, 2022, 04:43:33 pm »

The only thing I remember about VIII was that they pulled the double twist on Ray's parents, which I found just so very lame. But that may in fact make it one of the better movies since I don't remember something that really pissed me off, which is true for e.g. IX

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #1485 on: March 12, 2022, 05:22:43 pm »
+1

TRoS had many good points, including C3PO finally being an enjoyable character, but its main problem was that it broke the #1 rule of improv. It's totally fine that they went into the trilogy without a clear plan for all three movies; apparently it wasn't even decided that Vader was Luke's father until writing the script for ESB. But if you do that, you have to follow the "yes and" rule and not just undo a major plot point of the previous film.

yeah IX didn't even commit to its own yes-ands - just immediately walk back chewbacca death, babu frik dying, C3P0 getting wiped, even kylo dying. The most child-playing-with-action-figures star war.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 11:21:03 am by spineflu »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: March 16, 2022, 10:53:07 am »
+1

So The Batman was quite good.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: March 16, 2022, 02:00:47 pm »

I felt that Kylo Ren was the Anakin we deserved. While prequels Anakin was okay, Kylo really epitomized the sense of entitlement and rage that goes along great with a Sith.

For all the flaws of the prequels, though, I felt they were redeemed by the Clone Wars. Even Jar Jar was only mildly bothersome in the series. And as incredible as it sounds, they made Darth Maul to be infinitely more interesting than the blah villain in Phantom Menace.
A man has no signature

spineflu

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: spineflu
  • Head Empty, Heart Worms, Can't Lose
  • Respect: +1349
    • View Profile
    • my instagram, where i paint things
« Reply #1488 on: March 18, 2022, 11:01:26 am »

For all the flaws of the prequels, though, I felt they were redeemed by the Clone Wars. Even Jar Jar was only mildly bothersome in the series.

yeah that Jar Jar/Mace Windu arc in s5(?) was the buddy comedy i didn't know star wars needed

And as incredible as it sounds, they made Darth Maul to be infinitely more interesting than the blah villain in Phantom Menace.

yeah good thing they absolutely squandered the end of that in Rebels
« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 11:02:44 am by spineflu »

Glitters

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin Games
« Reply #1489 on: March 26, 2022, 01:57:20 pm »
+1

Finally watched Moana and fell in love with computer-drawn tropical isles :'(
pls evaluate our project Kevin.games!

vidicate

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: vidicate
  • Something clever goes here
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: March 26, 2022, 08:48:09 pm »
+1

Finally watched Moana and fell in love with computer-drawn tropical isles :'(
Shiny!
WHERE ARE THE TURTLES?!!! …WHERE ARE THEY?!
-----
Felix: Let's see if you guys are as good as they say.
Grif: Prepare to be sorely disappointed.
-----
Who da man? I da man. I always suspected. -Dr. House

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: August 02, 2022, 11:28:27 pm »
+1

I just watched Upstream Color last week (finally). And then just watched it again tonight. It's wonderful, and definitely something that needs to be watched more than once. Not something that's for everyone, though.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1492 on: September 13, 2022, 12:33:52 pm »
+2

I just rewatched the extended Hobbit trilogy and after all, I wouldn't say they're better than the LOTR movies. The story is fundamentally much more appealing to me because of how much of the conflict is not strictly good versus evil but a bunch of sides with conflicting selfish but somewhat justified motivations, visually the movies are beautiful with the exception of a couple of bizarrely weak looking VFX shots in Desolation of Smaug in the barrel fight scene and with the molten gold in Erebor (bizarre because of how much VFX there is, with almost all of it looking great, including stuff which I am under the impression should be a lot more difficult to get to look good), and considering of the scope of the source material it's really impressive to what level they were able to elevate it, but overall the LOTR movies are like consistently on a very high level that I think An Unexpected Journey can mostly match but the other two largely can't quite, except during some of their strongest moments.

Nonetheless, I still think a lot of the hate the Hobbit trilogy got was for stupid reasons and it's definitely a very worthwhile addition to the LOTR films. I'll probably rewatch the extended LOTR movies next and see if I still think this after that.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (΄。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1493 on: September 25, 2022, 04:53:03 pm »

Having now rewatched the extended LOTR too, yeah that was a pretty good assessment. I think the main reason why the theatrical editions I watched a few years ago felt so disappointing was simply how much content is left out and how much of it is actually super important, especially in Two Towers. Fellowship of the Ring actually felt a bit rushed even with the extended edition, not necessarily because I'm missing the content from the book that wasn't included, it's more that the scenes that are there aren't long enough to really convey the length of the journey or the gravity of some of those situations.

Official ranking of all of the six extended movies: Return of the King > Two Towers > Unexpected Journey > Fellowship of the Ring >>> Battle of the Five Armies > Desolation of Smaug, with Desolation of Smaug still being really good.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60]  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.