Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346924 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #1400 on: January 02, 2019, 03:00:58 pm »

@Horror Movies: I watched The Woman in Black, The Ring, Paranormal Activity I, and The Shining. The first because it was on Netflix and I just clicked on a random thing, and 2-4 following recommendations for scary movies.

Paranormal Activity is definitely the scariest movie I've seen so far. Which is particularly impressive because it's incredibly low budget, just 15 000 according to wikipedia. I still think it should be possible to make something more frightening than that, though. It was fairly intense, particularly near the end, but... still not so much that I had to turn it off. And the ending kinda only works because the guy is being an idiot. He could just have some people over, or at least stay up all night. He knows without a doubt that there's something supernatural there at that point, and just does nothing. Which is a minus. But still, it's good.

The Ring and the Shining didn't manage to really scare me, but they were both fun to watch nonetheless. The Ring has some great imagery.

The Woman in black was the second scariest, but also the weakest one out of the four. It's scary in the least creative way possible (old abandoned house, noises from other rooms, etc), and it doesn't have anything else going on. Also, it's significantly less scary than PNA, which has literally 0.1% of the budget.

Still planning to see The Exorcist, but I'm having trouble finding a good way to do so.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1401 on: January 02, 2019, 04:07:52 pm »
+1

Paranormal Activity is definitely the scariest movie I've seen so far.

Seriously? How?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: January 02, 2019, 04:22:55 pm »

No idea how to answer that  :P

Clearly the degree to which something frightens you also varies from person to person, though certainly not as much as how much you like something.

I've somehow missed the Tunnel, I'll look for that one, too. Otherwise, I assume that you thought PNA was less scary than other things I've mentioned?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1403 on: January 02, 2019, 06:22:22 pm »

I've somehow missed the Tunnel, I'll look for that one, too. Otherwise, I assume that you thought PNA was less scary than other things I've mentioned?

More like I don't even understand how Paranormal Activity is scary at all.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: January 02, 2019, 06:40:43 pm »

Well, neither do I, really.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: January 11, 2019, 05:24:15 pm »

I saw Burning last night and really loved it. I think it's the kind of movie people should go into completely blind, so I guess the summary is: Korean with subtitles, awkward masturbation scenes, awkward main character, people being jerks, more exciting than it sounds if you go in for an awkward drama about a depressed guy, less exciting if you want Spider Man.

Anyway, I really loved it, and I think it improves on the short story, which you absolutely should not read first if you are interested in seeing the movie and haven't read it.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: January 16, 2019, 10:09:34 am »
+2

I saw Burning last night and really loved it. I think it's the kind of movie people should go into completely blind, so I guess the summary is: Korean with subtitles, awkward masturbation scenes, awkward main character, people being jerks, more exciting than it sounds if you go in for an awkward drama about a depressed guy, less exciting if you want Spider Man.

Anyway, I really loved it, and I think it improves on the short story, which you absolutely should not read first if you are interested in seeing the movie and haven't read it.

Not selling me on this one at all.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: January 16, 2019, 11:43:26 am »

Not selling me on this one at all.

It was great, but the kind of great where half the people I'd talk to would complain it was boring. Don't really know how to describe that kind of movie appealingly, but I have hated when I've pushed those kind of movies on people who are always going to hate them and then they don't want to listen to me about horror or other "exciting" genres of movie.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: January 16, 2019, 11:50:31 am »

Unbreakable is also really boring for certain crowds, but it was also a really good movie.

I'm intrigued by Burning. I like going into good movies blind, though even those movies tend to have a bit more information than this. But I can't ask for more information without spoiling something presumably.

The weird scenes mentioned are probably more like content warning. If awkward scenes do bother you, then maybe that movie won't bother you. But I've also seen Irreversible and Spanking the Monkey, so I can usually handle uncomfortable scenes. Maybe I won't enjoy it, but I won't avoid it.
A man has no signature

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: January 25, 2019, 06:53:26 pm »
+1

Saw Shoplifters last night, quite good.

Reminded me of After the Storm quite a bit, the 2-movies-ago-movie by the same director, moreso than his most recent one before this. Also reminded me of Leave no Trace from last? year, fiction movie basically about poor families and how the system can fail them.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1410 on: February 28, 2019, 10:47:16 am »

Back to the horror discussion; I finally saw Hereditary. I did actually find it scary, which is rare for horror movies. Perhaps disturbing more than scary is a better word. But it has a really good build; where there's just nothing scary for a while, then it gradually gets more and more intense. A lot of people seem to complain that they should have stuck to a more psychological and ambiguous angle; but if you want that, watch The Babadook instead. Hereditary was more in your face and scary; but less clever and subtle.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: February 28, 2019, 05:56:30 pm »

Speaking of Horror, I'm planning on watching the VVitch this weekend with my brother.  Is it any good? Looks like it got pretty good ratings, but I often don't trust those.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: March 28, 2019, 03:42:01 pm »

I went and saw Us this week. I would not agree that it lived up to the hype, but very few movies could handle that kind of hype anyway.

I felt it was a really excellent 3/4 of a movie. It started off strong and dove into the insanity fairly quickly. Once there, it remained intense throughout.

But the ending raised more questions than it answered, and I felt like the only way to reconcile this movie was to accept that weird, magical effects were possible. I mean, when the villains show up, you have to assume that, but the way to reconcile the ending required an even bigger assumption.

It felt to me like they crafted a great scene with wonderful parallels and suitable foreshadowing. But then when asked what caused all this awesomeness, they just shrugged their shoulders and gave some weak reasoning.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed watching it. I still enjoyed the ending even though I recognized how anemic it was. The immediate questions I had were:

How do you feed that many rabbits over 33 years?
Was this lab physically under the hall of mirrors, or is it like some dimensional pocket?
Did staying in the lab make Real-Abbie dependent on the Shadow-Abbie's movements?
How did the Shadow-Abbie get up the operational escalator at the same rate that Real-Abbie descended the stairs?
Where did all the other shadows exit the lab? Did they pour out of the hall of mirrors at once? Just the Santa Cruz ones?
If her family lived elsewhere, then were their shadows lurking in a different lab and move to Santa Cruz?

And that's just scratching the surface. Most of these questions could be answered with "it's magic," but I wanted more. I suppose if they explained it that way, I would've been satisfied. It's just that the movie didn't show much in terms of the magic, so I was left wanting.

It was a really well done movie with a great cast. I just wish it didn't have the feeling of, "This is awesome, but now I don't know how to get to it, so whatever."
A man has no signature

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: April 30, 2019, 01:10:05 pm »

So... nobody is going to mention Endgame?

Without spoiling anything (in case you opened this without knowing better), I thought it ended some storylines nicely, and didn’t have toooooo many plot holes. I am also hoping that some of the biggest consequences of this and Infinity War will stick for the future movies.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: April 30, 2019, 01:27:17 pm »
+1

So... nobody is going to mention Endgame?

Without spoiling anything (in case you opened this without knowing better), I thought it ended some storylines nicely, and didn’t have toooooo many plot holes. I am also hoping that some of the biggest consequences of this and Infinity War will stick for the future movies.

6 hours until I see it!
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: April 30, 2019, 02:14:55 pm »
+1

Endgame had about the same rate of plot holes as any other MCU movie, which is to say that I found the movie acceptable. I don't expect perfection from them. The plot holes may be intensified a bit due to the nature of their solution, but I've learned to just stop criticizing movies and shows for taking that route. You're never really going to get that right anyhow.

It was certainly a fun ride.
A man has no signature

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: April 30, 2019, 10:00:22 pm »
+1

I just wish the time heist was the entire movie.  I could have done without the big battle at the end, honestly.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: May 01, 2019, 12:04:55 am »
+1

I just wish the time heist was the entire movie.  I could have done without the big battle at the end, honestly.

Gotta super disagree. I thought the first half was just fine, but the second half was where it got really great.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: May 01, 2019, 01:41:50 am »
+3

Gotta super disagree. I thought the first half was just fine, but the second half was where it got really great.

The Time heist was great as a trip down memory lane, to remind the characters how much they’ve evolved, and the audience how far the series has gone. It’s good to give a sense of closure to the characters that will need it by the end of the movie. “I am still worthy” gave me chills. It also has some cute ideas here and there, but I don’t think the franchise could handle too much of it without breaking more stuff than they already have. It also doesn’t survive very thorough scrutiny.

The final battle was epic, but also very fan-service-y. It’s also ultimately just people punching people in a darkish setting. I can see it both ways, why people would like it or not.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: May 01, 2019, 08:08:27 am »

I'm in the same boat, but I also was bored during most of the recent Game of Thrones episode and the big lobby shootout scene in the Matrix. So I may not be the ideal audience for that.

Mind you, this movie did not bore me. I just wouldn't have missed some of the scenes at the end if they were removed. There were interactions that moved the story along, so that was nice.
A man has no signature

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: May 03, 2019, 11:03:15 am »

Endgame had about the same rate of plot holes as any other MCU movie, which is to say that I found the movie acceptable. I don't expect perfection from them. The plot holes may be intensified a bit due to the nature of their solution, but I've learned to just stop criticizing movies and shows for taking that route. You're never really going to get that right anyhow.

It was certainly a fun ride.

Normally, I don't have problems with action movies with plot holes.  But I thought they were pretty egregious in this movie.  It actually bothered me while I watched it. Why doesn't Ant Man get tired after getting big? That was a big point in Ant Man and the Wasp. Also how is Thor still worthy even though he is a complete bum? Are they really going to ignore the thousands of parallel universes they created, like the one where Loki has the Tesseract? Why are Hawkeye's kids a different race than him and his wife? (Not a plot hole, I'm just ranting now.  He probably just adopted) How did Rocket and Hawkeye survive that massive explosion without any injuries at all? That was just really stupid. 

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: May 03, 2019, 11:19:23 am »

They certainly undid some bits from previous movies. Those are pretty glaring plot holes.

As mentioned, Scott seemed to handle being big for a long time a lot better than before. One could conjecture that part of the time period when they were improving his suit and skills while he was harvesting healing particles in the quantum realm, some modifications were made either A) to the suit or B) to Scott so that he could stay big longer. But that's a stretch to assume.

And also, the gauntlet was such a big deal. You had to go to this race of dwarves to harvest the power of a star to forge it. Or you can be Tony Stark and make your own damn glove. While Tony Stark is not completely a Mary Sue, the fact that he can solve just about any problem puts him pretty darn close.

And of course, time travel weirdness, but that's not really an inconsistent part of the movie. It didn't contradict other rules they set up. How it interacts with the rest of the rules is a different story.

And yes, I agree that there was a remarkable number of survivors (like 100%) at ground zero of such a cataclysmic explosion. I mean, yeah, it's a superhero movie, but that explosion was pretty major, and there are a lot of characters who aren't Thor, Carol, Hulk, etc.

It would've been a pretty good scene if they had something akin to Violet Parr from the Incredibles. That would be a pretty good plot explanation.
A man has no signature

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: May 03, 2019, 12:11:24 pm »

Are they really going to ignore the thousands of parallel universes they created, like the one where Loki has the Tesseract? 

No, they aren't going to ignore it; in fact they are going to turn it into a new TV series. Seriously. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9140554/

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: May 03, 2019, 02:52:20 pm »
+1

By my count, they created two very divergent parallel universes (Loki escapes with the Tesseract in one, Thanos and his army flat out vanish in another), and then maybe 3 with minor divergences (stolen Pym particles in 1970, Jane attacked by a racoon in Asgard, and Cap staying in the past in some other universe).

The plotholes that bothered me were Thanos and his whole army going through time with no Pym particles, despite that being a major plot point for our protagonists. Iron Man figuring out time travel in a frickin afternoon. All of Peter Parker's friends being dusted? And then Thanos's power compared to the main cast fluctuates scene to scene, but I've come to expect that by now. And a minor one: where did Valkyrie get the pegasus?

I know there was one more thing that bothered me, but I don't remember it right now.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 02:53:39 pm by pacovf »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: May 03, 2019, 02:59:12 pm »
+1

The plotholes that bothered me were Thanos and his whole army going through time with no Pym particles, despite that being a major plot point for our protagonists.

The Russo's actually addressed this one in an interview:

Q: How did Thanos bring his army to the future?

A: There is a guy called Maw in his army, he was a great wizard. Thanos himself was a brilliant genius as well. Those two easily reverse engineered and mass produced Pym Particles.

My full but brief review, copied from my other forum:

Avengers: Endgame - Spoilers will be in spoiler markings. There's a reason I waited a couple days before writing this up... so much to unpack. Did it live up to the hype? Mostly. It was a very good and enjoyable film... but what stands out the most about it is just how much it is sticking with me. You know how sometimes you hear a catchy song, and then it's stuck in your head and you can't get it out? That's what this movie has been doing to me for the past day and a half. It's messing with me on a subconscious level; I find myself constantly drifting back to it.

So it's long. And it's pretty distinctly divided into 3 parts. In the first part of the movie, you can feel the length; certain scenes are clearly moving very slowly. But it's intentional; it makes perfect sense given the things that are happening. You feel the weight of what the characters feel. But still, about a third of the way through, I found myself thinking "yeah this is fine, but not nearly the amazing thing I was hoping for".

The second part is an enjoyable heist film. It does a lot of interesting things, and there's a lot happening at once. It's still nothing amazing or huge.

Then the third part... there is one singular defining moment when the movie turns into the biggest, most epic, and hype movie I've seen in a very long time. For me, that moment is When you see Cap with the hammer. It's just so good. I suppose the third part starts a bit before that actual moment, but it's a slower ramp up up to that point.

Is it a perfect movie? No. But it succeeds in a big way at 2 important things: Being a huge epic film filled with as much weight and importance as the LotR films, and being a very good ending to a 22-film saga. I really don't know if you could ask for a better way to really wrap up all of the previous 21 films.

So one thing I didn't like as much: I didn't like that they went with a time travel route at all. Sure we all knew that it was a likely possibility of what the movie would be about... but given the way that they actually ended up doing everything; it turns out the writers didn't even need time travel. I am glad that they didn't just use time travel to change the past and undo everything that happened... that would have been worse. But since the plan was never to alter the past so that things never happened that way, then the same basic heist movie could have happened without time travel.. just make it so that instead of Thanos destroying the stones, he hid them somewhere. And then instead of fighting past Thanos at the end, they would be fighting present Thanos again. I can't say for sure that that would have been a better movie... I'm no writer. It's just that there's always so much extra complexity when you have time travel that they probably could have done without.

So anyway... I'm planning on seeing it again next week. I think the last time I saw a movie twice in theaters was Return of the King. It's not something I do generally. But I really feel that this film needs a second watching. There is just so much there. I'm actually not sure whether I liked it more than Infinity War or not, but considering that Infinity War was one of the 10 best movies I saw last year, that's a lot to live up to.

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 60  All

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.