Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346870 times)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #1375 on: October 31, 2018, 12:21:59 pm »

A couple friends of mine were talking about Irreversible. Since he left midway through the movie, one guy was uncertain if he should classify it as a horror movie. I thought I'd share my response, considering how infamous this movie is.

I would not classify Irreversible as a horror movie. It does, however, qualify as a movie to endure. Most of that is due to how it was shot. Some good and some bad.

What makes this movie stand out—aside from its reversed chronology—is that I understand that each scene was filled with a single take. I haven't scrutinized it with a magnifying glass, but that sounds right to me. But that means that the improv scenes really stand out—and not in a good way. You can tell the points where the actors are just filling in gaps while waiting for something to happen. It was more awkward than horrifying.

The film opener is especially uncomfortable because of how they filmed it. They used subsonic pulses in the background that instigate nausea. Combined with shaky-cam in a twisting labyrinth, this scene is discombobulating and uncomfortable. There's also some FX that is sickening as well, even for gore aficionados. It wasn't the grossest thing to see, but combined with the lights and sounds of the movie, it was particularly nauseating. I'll give the director props on making this scene literally gut-wrenching.

The scene of infamy is also really uncomfortable. I mean, it's a terrible topic anyway, but the continuous take makes this even more uncomfortable to watch. But it wasn't just the act itself. There are a couple of things happening in the background which adds to the atrocity. Kudos to the cast and crew for being brave enough to tackle this, but I imagine they felt just as awful as the audience afterwards.

I'm not certain that it's a great movie, but it does take a vile and uncomfortable topic and shoves it in the audience's face. It forces us to look at it, and the fact that it's shown in reverse causes a huge sense of sorrow because it starts off really bad and then progresses to more innocent scenes. It reminds us that even on our best days we're only one tragic confluence of events away from being irreversibly damaged. It does make you think, but it is definitely a movie to endure.
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: December 16, 2018, 04:29:18 pm »

Is there any horror movie out there that is actually really frightening? I've been trying to find one, but so far haven't really succeeded. I've seen Insidious 1-3, the Mist, various Final Destinations, Eden Log, Absentia, and more recently The Cabin in the Woods and the Thing (the 1982 movie), because someone mentioned them as being among the best of the genre. And I'd agree that the Cabin in the woods was pretty great, but not really based on being frightening. The Mist frightened me a lot at the time, but it's been a while, and when I watched a snippet more recently I thought it was pretty bad.

So I'm still searching. Is there anything scarier than all of the above? What's the scariest movie you've ever seen, or alternatively, the best horror movie you've seen?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: December 16, 2018, 04:41:11 pm »

Is there any horror movie out there that is actually really frightening? I've been trying to find one, but so far haven't really succeeded. I've seen Insidious 1-3, the Mist, various Final Destinations, Eden Log, Absentia, and more recently The Cabin in the Woods and the Thing (the 1982 movie), because someone mentioned them as being among the best of the genre. And I'd agree that the Cabin in the woods was pretty great, but not really based on being frightening. The Mist frightened me a lot at the time, but it's been a while, and when I watched a snippet more recently I thought it was pretty bad.

So I'm still searching. Is there anything scarier than all of the above? What's the scariest movie you've ever seen, or alternatively, the best horror movie you've seen?

Not many. Kubrick’s The Shining is the scariest one I know. The new It had some good moments. Other recent ones that I found pretty scary include It Follows and Mama. The Babadook is excellent, but not for how scary it is.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1378 on: December 16, 2018, 06:16:24 pm »

I can't think of any movie I'd describe as "actually really frightening", like I've had to take breaks from playing a horror video game because it gets too intense but I don't think that has ever happened with a movie for me. The Tunnel is probably the scariest that I know of.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: December 17, 2018, 04:00:39 am »

The one and the only movie that frightened me so very much was The Exorcist. Other than that Mirrors is pretty good and I was afraid of looking into the mirrors for a month. There's also Silent Hill (first part) which was not too frightning, but I like the graphics a lot
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: December 19, 2018, 04:41:20 pm »

The ring is quite popular among Horror movies.  It is scary, but not crazy scary in my opinion.  Hereditary was pretty scary and very good.  And if you have netflix the Haunting of Hill house is a really good scary show.  But again, non of these are like utterly terrifying to most horro fans.  Maybe to someone who isn't used to scary stuff.

If you really want scary, just pull out your box of Intrigue and check out Harem. 

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1381 on: December 19, 2018, 04:51:49 pm »

The ring is quite popular among Horror movies.  It is scary, but not crazy scary in my opinion.  Hereditary was pretty scary and very good.  And if you have netflix the Haunting of Hill house is a really good scary show.  But again, non of these are like utterly terrifying to most horro fans.  Maybe to someone who isn't used to scary stuff.

If you really want scary, just pull out your box of Intrigue and check out Harem.

I recently saw both The Ring (the Japanese one) and Hereditary and I can confirm that they're good movies but not utterly terrifying. Hereditary especially had a pretty heavy atmosphere throughout the entire movie.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: December 19, 2018, 05:02:32 pm »

I recently saw both The Ring (the Japanese one) and Hereditary and I can confirm that they're good movies but not utterly terrifying. Hereditary especially had a pretty heavy atmosphere throughout the entire movie.

Yeah Hereditary was actually pretty disturbing. 

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: December 19, 2018, 05:27:01 pm »

I watched The Favourite last night and it is my favorite movie of 2018 (and there were a lot of strong contenders this year). It's deeply strange, but the acting, directing, and general aesthetic of the movie were all sublime.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: December 20, 2018, 03:11:13 pm »

It's great to live in Germany for many reasons, but Netflix isn't one of them. The US version seems to have a much larger collection :(

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: December 25, 2018, 03:57:29 pm »
+1

Just watched Into the spiderverse. It's the most excited I've been about a superhero movie in a long while. If you are even just mildly interested by animation or superhero movies, you should watch it.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: December 25, 2018, 05:06:51 pm »
+1

Just watched Into the spiderverse. It's the most excited I've been about a superhero movie in a long while. If you are even just mildly interested by animation or superhero movies, you should watch it.

It's a very good movie. Like, a really good movie. The only reason I would suggest not watching it is if you hate animation, particularly lots of flashing and moving lights/colours. The credits at the start and final act are a little seizure-inducing at points. Also, I felt like the hip-hop/rap music was overused and overplayed a bit, but that's in line with Miles' character so it's not a very legitimate complaint. The only "problem" I have is that the third act really dragged on. Kingpin and Miles fighting after all the goodbyes felt awkward. The plot in general felt a little thin. Still a really good movie, and I loved the score.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: December 26, 2018, 08:31:27 am »
+1

The only "problem" I have is that the third act really dragged on. Kingpin and Miles fighting after all the goodbyes felt awkward. The plot in general felt a little thin.

Agreed. That didn't feel nearly as climactic. But it was short-lived, so it was good for me.

I'd say this was the most comic-book movie made. That sounds like a strange adjective to put on there, but there is a nod to the medium that live-action movies like the Avengers and X-Men don't quite capture. And that's a choice obviously. I get making the Avengers more into a mainstream movie with conventional filmmaking methods.

But Into the Spiderverse embraces its heritage and melds comic book with movie. The closest I've seen up until now would be Scott Pilgrim vs the World, but that pales in comparison to Spiderverse.

I was enamored by the animation. It was vibrant and evocative. I wouldn't mind seeing more movies like this.

I want my wife to watch this, but she has severe arachnophobia. While there aren't many spiders on the screen, they enter the scene rather suddenly without warning, and that can cause problems.
A man has no signature

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: December 26, 2018, 12:14:12 pm »

I was surprised at how good it was and how funny it was.  I mean, I expected humor, but I was laughing a lot. 

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: December 26, 2018, 01:13:05 pm »

I was expecting to be annoyed by Spider-Ham. He was just in small enough doses that I was able to accept him.
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: December 28, 2018, 02:04:35 pm »

So. Bandersnatch.

How was your ending?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: December 31, 2018, 04:02:27 pm »

For those of us who don't do Netflix, can someone explain how a "choose your own adventure" thing works? Assuming that each "differing path" is basically the same thing as a different "episode" of a TV show... is it as simple as "pick one of these two episodes to watch next"?

Well no, I guess it can't be, because then your choices after that couldn't be different depending on what you picked. Is this just some technology built into Netflix where certain "episodes" of shows are only available if you just finished watching certain other "episodes"? Is there no way to simply watch any specific "episode" that you want?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: December 31, 2018, 05:53:13 pm »
+1

For those of us who don't do Netflix, can someone explain how a "choose your own adventure" thing works? Assuming that each "differing path" is basically the same thing as a different "episode" of a TV show... is it as simple as "pick one of these two episodes to watch next"?
want?

No.

Something in the episode will happen that confronts the main character with a decision. Two choices appear at the bottom of the screen, and a timer telling you how long you have to decide. You have to click on one choice to lock it in. Afterwards, the movie will continue with the character doing what you told him.

Since it's black mirror it's not quite that simple, either. It's not just a tree, there are dependencies, sometimes you need to have done X earlier in order to have choice Y at a later point. And it's canon that you are controlling the main guy; him realizing this is part of the story. It's also a meta thing, because the episode is about the m/c developing a game where you have multiple choices. In one ending, he explains how he only built the illusion of free will into the game, but in truth he's deciding the ending.

But yeah, it's a legit branching story, even if the number of paths remains manageable.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: January 01, 2019, 03:09:49 pm »

I just saw Spiderverse last night and The Favourite this morning. I really liked both of them but can hardly imagine a more different pair of movies to watch almost back-to-back.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: January 01, 2019, 11:32:05 pm »
+3

Ok, so I saw 110 films for the first time in 2018. My top 10 personal favorites; in the order that I watched them in:

Psycho
The Founder
Coraline
The Lego Batman Movie
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Before Sunrise
Avengers: Infinity War
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Training Day
Arrival

Honorable mentions: these two movies left a big impression on me, but I'm hesitant to out-right recommend them to just anyone, due to the fact that both can be difficult to watch.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
A Cure for Wellness

*Edit* Oops; I missed Arrival when going through my list! It bumps Before Sunrise, as good as that was.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 05:17:50 pm by GendoIkari »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: January 02, 2019, 09:51:34 am »
+1

All of what Silverspawn said.

The technology is only available on some devices. I launched the movie on Google Fiber, and it played a different "movie." It was a collection of clips from Black Mirror of the various characters saying "sorry." Then the voiceover explains that the current device does not support interactive television. Various suggestions are made.

But I do have a smart TV, which was one of the suggestions. So I logged into Netflix through that. There's an icon to show that the Netflix title has interactive capabilities (I expect to see this a lot in kids' shows in the future). It's pretty smooth, though if you're the type to get sucked into the moment, then these branching trees will suck you right out. Still, it's a neat concept, and this particular episode of Black Mirror works perfectly for it. I wouldn't try this experiment with any other episode.

It's a really long, drawn-out Dragon's Lair. You have your "death scenes" where you have to go back and make different choices. There are multiple endings.

My favorite is how the episode completely mocks you if you don't make any decisions. As a matter of course, I chose the default option (often the first) so I could better identify where I need to branch off in subsequent viewings. Well, if you only choose the default option, then that's functionally the same as letting the episode run with no interaction. And you get roasted for being so boring. It was brilliant.

I went through the episode twice, and I'm done. I'm starting to get tired of seeing some of the same scenes over and over, and if I can't figure out how to get to a path I wanted to try again such as telling Kitty that Colin jumped instead of just turning my back on her then I don't really want to sift through it so fastidiously. It'd be better if I can actually fast-forward through the scenes to the decision point, but I cannot.

So kudos to those people who are obsessed with finding every little path, including the hidden golden eggs. I have no doubt that those require some revisiting to other scenes where you may do the same thing twice or even more. But I'm not interested in following it that closely. From what I read online, I've hit most of the known endings, and I’m pretty good with that. Though I am bemused by the claim that one ending apparently has Jerome F. Davies (I think that's his name) kill you in the past. I mean, how does that ending come about? 

But you know, I may watch it a third time in a few months.

For some reason, I just really dig Colin's voice and speech pattern here.
A man has no signature

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: January 02, 2019, 12:48:26 pm »
+1

I was expecting to be annoyed by Spider-Ham. He was just in small enough doses that I was able to accept him.

John Mulaney is a national treasure.

This movie was fantastic, and gives further evidence that basically everything from Lord/Miller is worth watching. There was even a Clone High billboard easter egg in the background!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: January 02, 2019, 02:05:05 pm »

I went through the episode twice, and I'm done. I'm starting to get tired of seeing some of the same scenes over and over, and if I can't figure out how to get to a path I wanted to try again

You can use the "skip 10 seconds" button repeatedly, but it's still tedious.

Also there's a graph

UmbrageOfSnow

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Umbrageofsnow
  • Respect: +301
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: January 02, 2019, 02:27:50 pm »

Honorable mentions: these two movies left a big impression on me, but I'm hesitant to out-right recommend them to just anyone, due to the fact that both can be difficult to watch.

I absolutely loved Three Billboards, one of my favorite movies recently, I don't think you should hesitate to recommend great but hard-to-watch movies!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: January 02, 2019, 02:43:28 pm »

I absolutely loved Three Billboards, one of my favorite movies recently, I don't think you should hesitate to recommend great but hard-to-watch movies!

Maybe "not for everyone" is a better fit than "hard to watch", especially in the case of Three Billboards. Here's my write-up from another forum:

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - Wow... not at all what I expected. A powerhouse of emotion; so much more than a simple story of a mother trying to get justice for her murdered daughter. Many things were exaggerated for effect; it chose shock value over realism. Sometimes this seemed good; other times it seemed like it was trying too hard. Ultimately, it's a story about the journey of several characters, moreso than a murder mystery. I don't think it quite lives up to how much I liked In Bruges, but I still liked it a lot. Glad McDormand and Rockwell got the Oscars for it. I didn't think Lucas Hedges as the son was all that good... someone like Tye Sheridan would have been a boost. Overall, an excellent movie.

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.