Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346882 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #1350 on: November 18, 2017, 05:16:45 pm »

I went to see The Unknown Soldier (2017) today. It was very good, definitely one of the better war movies I've seen and the best Finnish movie I've ever seen. I think it captured the perspective of an individual soldier incredibly well, especially in the context of a lost war. I was also pretty happy about the level of accuracy in the details — I actually didn't notice anything weird at all.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: December 08, 2017, 09:23:07 am »

I finally saw Get Out. I was afraid that I'd be let down by the hype, but that movie was really well done. I'm not afraid to say that it lived up to the hype for me. One reason it worked for me is that it all felt very natural. Not the weird people. That felt jarring and unnerving, which was exactly the point. The story starts off with such a mundane premise, and the veneer of normalcy flakes away after each disconcerting encounter. It also helps that I watched the movie knowing absolutely nothing about it with the exception that it involves race issues.

There was a point where the movie almost lost me because that's not how hypnotism works. But once I realized that Get Out is really a sci-fi movie, the exaggerated nature works.

It's interesting because there are some scenes that support the climax of the film. For example, while Rose's indignation at the cop asking for Chris's ID seems in line with the characters social championing, it's really a ploy to ensure the police can't trace his disappearance to the house. Also, the family's strong condemnation of his smoking really makes sense. It also explains the blind man's fascination with him, but since he was played by Stephen Root, you knew his character would be important.

Sadly, not everything can be roses in this movie. I had a few problems with it, which are not enough to detract from my enjoyment of the movie, but they're there. I'm not sure how Stephen Root's blind character was supposed to follow along in the mute auction. I'm just going to have to assume that someone nearby conveyed the hand signals to him, but that wasn't made clear. Also, the revelation that Rose lied about bringing black men to the house didn't seem to fully click with Chris. He still kept trusting in her to find the keys. I suppose this could be chalked up to shock and irrational denial that the woman he loves couldn't betray him. But the one thing I can't find a rationale for is why he chose to carry around a deer head as a weapon. Surely he could have found something better than that. It felt like they shoehorned that in because they wanted a cool death involving a deer head. I could've done without that.

But great movie. My wife hasn't seen it yet, and I think I may rewatch it so I can see what other hints I may have missed.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: April 05, 2018, 09:40:00 am »

So I saw Ready Player One. It was fun. Pretty predictable and not particularly deep but a fun romp. It was made for my generation—or at least felt like it, which would be an even bigger praise if they can pull that off for everyone.

I've not read the book, so I don't know how much I would have groused if I had. I know some scenes were left out for the movie. It's a shame because seeing Joust on the screen would be pretty cool.

My favorite scene apparently wasn't in the book at all: an homage to Kubrick's The Shining. It was really well done and quite enjoyable to watch. I question how the scene plays for people not familiar with the movie, but then the whole scene revolved around not seeing the movie.

I'm glad that the plot wasn't that deep because it allowed me to focus on picking out pop culture references. I may possibly have to see it a second time to look for more references, which I'm sure is all part of their evil plan.
A man has no signature

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: April 05, 2018, 04:56:05 pm »

Has anyone seen Unsane? It looks really cool but I want to hear from some other people before I spend money to see it in the theater

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1354 on: April 05, 2018, 05:14:18 pm »
+1

Has anyone seen Unsane? It looks really cool but I want to hear from some other people before I spend money to see it in the theater

Pretty sure someone has seen it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: April 06, 2018, 09:15:55 am »

Pretty sure someone has seen it.

Nope, Unsane is unseen.

I had to say it.

I'm interested in this movie as well.
A man has no signature

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: April 28, 2018, 03:58:26 pm »
+2

So uh...is anyone going to talk about the elephant in the room?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: April 29, 2018, 06:47:20 am »
+2

I've never really seen the allure of Dumbo.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: April 29, 2018, 07:33:11 am »

DefInfinity for sure.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: April 29, 2018, 08:25:11 am »

Well, I guess this thread is back to “don’t read till you watch X” status.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: April 30, 2018, 02:31:52 am »
+1

I saw Infinity War last night with a friend. It was very entertaining, although looking back, I think it would probably be pretty awful as a standalone film if you haven't seen most of the Marvel stuff preceding it. Which I suppose makes sense, but still, most films give enough context to be entertaining on their own merit.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: April 30, 2018, 09:01:51 am »

I saw Infinity War last night with a friend. It was very entertaining, although looking back, I think it would probably be pretty awful as a standalone film if you haven't seen most of the Marvel stuff preceding it. Which I suppose makes sense, but still, most films give enough context to be entertaining on their own merit.

I wonder if there should be a rating system for whether it's a movie or an episode. Infinity War was certainly an episode. And that worked for it. It couldn't have done all that it did if it worried about exposition. At this point, it's assumed you saw all of the other movies in the MCU. Well, most of them anyway. There were some that you could've skipped, and I'm sure someone has already compiled a list of movies in order that you must watch prior to seeing Infinity War. Friend of mine realized in the first 5 minutes that she hadn't gotten around to watching Thor: Ragnarok. Oops.

So, a better episode than a movie. And that's all right.

Most characters seemed to have their moment to shine, which is an amazing feat in itself, but there were some castaways. Poor Mantis only really had one useful thing to do and was relegated to comic relief otherwise.

I know there are some people depressed by the outcome of this movie, but comic books have a history of retconning, especially when you deal with huge, cosmic forces like the reality stone and the time stone. This is really just the dark moment in act 2. I'm sure that the next movie will resolve this especially with Captain Marvel being brought into the fold. If I read about the movie timeline correctly, there's a standalone film with her meeting Nick Fury in the 1990s shortly before part 2 of the Infinity War. Perfectly good segue.

There are lots of comic book tropes happening here, and I have no doubt that we'll see the biggest one yet in part 2. Undoubtedly, people will call it a cop-out, and I can't disagree. But it's at least consistent. What would amaze me is if they don't fall back on it, which would impact future movies.

I was sad to not see Ant-Man, and I actually wonder where he and Wasp will fall in the timeline. Will this take place during the great purge of humanity? Perhaps we'll see him in part 2.
A man has no signature

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: April 30, 2018, 11:12:57 am »

Without any spoilers, please advise... I've seen every MCU movie except for Black Panther. I was planning on watching that before Infinity War, but just found out that it won't be on DVD for another 2 weeks. So... if I go see Infinity War without having seen Black Panther, will I be missing anything important; anything that won't make sense in Infinity War?
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: April 30, 2018, 11:18:02 am »
+4

Without any spoilers, please advise... I've seen every MCU movie except for Black Panther. I was planning on watching that before Infinity War, but just found out that it won't be on DVD for another 2 weeks. So... if I go see Infinity War without having seen Black Panther, will I be missing anything important; anything that won't make sense in Infinity War?

Not really, you should be fine.  There are a couple characters that won't be familiar, but honestly, with so many superheros running around in this movie, they aren't on screen for that long.

All you need to know is that Wakanda has lots of vibranium and technology. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 11:19:27 am by Chappy7 »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: April 30, 2018, 12:33:11 pm »
+1

I concur. While there's a lot of Black Panther material in Infinity War, you can easily follow along what's happening. You may see some characters that you'll know survived to the end of Black Panther, but those aren't terribly spoilery.

I had a conversation with a co-worker about must-sees. Thor: Ragnarok and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 1 and 2 are pretty major, as are the Avengers movies and the Captain America movies.

The ones that could be missed (but go back and watch them) would be Ant-Man, Spider-Man, Black Panther, and Dr. Strange. The last one surprised me, but honestly his origin story isn't going to add much to Infinity War. His MacGuffin will be blazingly obvious. Come to think of it, I don't know about how much the Captain America movies are needed. Knowing what happens at the end of Civil War will make scenes in Infinity War less confusing.
A man has no signature

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: April 30, 2018, 07:23:41 pm »

I was sad to not see Ant-Man, and I actually wonder where he and Wasp will fall in the timeline. Will this take place during the great purge of humanity? Perhaps we'll see him in part 2.

Ant Man and the Wasp is supposed to take place before Infinity War.

Edit: And yeah Captain Marvel is supposed to take place in the 90's, but I haven't heard anything about the Netflix series. I assume they are just going to avoid having anything happen between the end of part 1 and the beginning of part 2, but it would be interesting (though probably not a good "interesting") if that wasn't the case.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:39:36 pm by scott_pilgrim »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1366 on: May 03, 2018, 03:41:23 pm »
+1

I have recently seen a bunch of movies:

It (2017)
I haven't read the book so I wouldn't know how good of an adaptation it was, but overall I think it was a pretty good movie. I think the cinematography was outstanding, the movie had a pretty distinctive visual style which is super rare for live action movies. I didn't find it super scary, but it had its moments when it was a little scary and it was also thought-provoking (which is presumably thanks to the source material). Recommended for everyone, including people who have a hard time watching some of the more extreme horror movies because this isn't one.

Get out
This is one of the weirdest movies, it exists on so many different levels and people interpret it in completely different ways and still it seems like everyone enjoys the movie. I'm not even convinced the creators intended for it to work like that but it does anyway. Some of the VFX was so bad that it was hilarious, which I thought was supposed to be a part of the experience but your kilometerage may vary. Also recommended for everyone.

A Tale of Two Sisters
So earlier ITT I mentioned that I liked The Uninvited, which is (supposedly) a Hollywood remake of this. I finally got around to watching the original Korean version, and now I think that The Uninvited is more like an entirely different movie than a remake, really. Whereas The Uninvited is clever but straightforward and really more like a detective story with some horror elements than an actual horror story, A Tale of Two Sisters is a mindfuck and an actual horror story, and the respective plots have hardly anything in common, other than that they're both really good. The pacing is very slow, especially at the very beginning, and I was actually quite bored for quite a while before it got going and the pace was still slow after it did. Recommended for people who liked movies such as Donnie Darko and Suicide Club.

Leap!
I was visiting my sister and her family and they have a tradition that each Friday, they rent a movie (apparently going to the physical video rental shop is a part of the experience for them) and they take turns deciding which movie to watch together, and this was chosen by my niece. I didn't have very high expectations but it was actually one of the better children's movies I've seen, definitely way better than anything Disney. The visuals look great, the story has a lot of substance, the main character is very relatable but the other characters aren't really very well developed, it also has all the mandatory children's movie clichés, I don't know how the voice acting was since we watched the Finnish dub. I wouldn't really go as far as to recommend it to adults, but I certainly wouldn't feel stupid if I was watching it on my own, and it's a pretty decent choice if you're watching a movie with children.

Coraline
This was recommended to me by one of my friends who's also a huge fan of animation, so I downloaded it from the Internetz and I also watched it with my sister's family. I liked this the most out of all of the movies on this list, it was seriously creepy and it also looked great, had great music, and a great atmosphere. My only complaint is that there was one moment in the movie where it felt like they were holding back to keep it more suitable for children where it would have felt more natural if it had been more intense. Recommended for fans of animation and dark fantasy.

A Quiet Place
I saw this in the movie theater. It was alright, but it suffered from the pretty common flaw of horror movies that is stupid characters. I was constantly annoyed by the characters doing something obviously stupid, and it was amplified by the fact that these characters had survived under those circumstances for like 16 months and I would have been able to make way better decisions after 20 minutes of watching the movie, as well as the fact that they got away with their stupid decisions much more than what was believable. One aspect of acoustics that the movie just outright ignored was the fact that you can tell the shape and even the material of your surroundings by listening to the reverberations (even humans are capable of this with a little training), and the blind monsters didn't really seem to be able to do that based on how bad they were at finding people who were hiding nearby, which is borderline plausible if their brains aren't very advanced, but I would have appreciated if it had been at least addressed along the lines of "this is a thing but the monsters can't do that because they're dumb". The music was remarkably good, but it was overused since the entire point of the movie is centered around being silent, and the music was annoyingly covering up that silence too often. On the other hand, they actually used a lot of other acoustics related concepts very cleverly and accurately, and the movie was extremely intense and scary, so it could have been an amazing film if only it didn't have all the flaws that it has, but now it's just alright. Recommended for horror fans.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: May 03, 2018, 04:06:47 pm »

I also didn't think that It was all that scary either. I know people who have a real freak-out over clowns, which I do not fully understand. And I'm sure the room full of clowns was really terrible for them.
A man has no signature

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: May 03, 2018, 04:19:09 pm »

I have recently seen a bunch of movies:

Coraline
This was recommended to me by one of my friends who's also a huge fan of animation, so I downloaded it from the Internetz and I also watched it with my sister's family. I liked this the most out of all of the movies on this list, it was seriously creepy and it also looked great, had great music, and a great atmosphere. My only complaint is that there was one moment in the movie where it felt like they were holding back to keep it more suitable for children where it would have felt more natural if it had been more intense. Recommended for fans of animation and dark fantasy.

My own review of Coraline after finally seeing it a couple months ago:

Coraline - Stunning and unique visuals, a dark and wonderfully executed story; a good mystery that keeps you guessing; haunting and beautiful music... and deep-seeded symbolic overtones. Not sure if that last part actually meant anything. What I'm saying is that this was excellent. I loved it. I also found it genuinely scary in some parts; was surprised that it's only PG. The Anaglyph 3D was bad though... I should have just watched it normally, but I couldn't resist the fact that I opened up my DVD case and it had 3D classes in it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 04:20:41 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

weesh

• Conspirator
  • MOAR MAGPIES
  • Respect: +351
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: May 03, 2018, 06:12:39 pm »

I also didn't think that It was all that scary either. I know people who have a real freak-out over clowns, which I do not fully understand. And I'm sure the room full of clowns was really terrible for them.

I once told someone "'Life Expectancy' is the best book I've ever read about creepy clowns", and would then go on to clarify that it was the only such book.  They said "oooh, can I borrow it?"

I have no idea why people go for that.  I only read the book because I wanted to be nice to the person that gave it to me.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: May 05, 2018, 06:55:55 pm »

I have seen Infinity War. Went in with low expectations, and was positively surprised. Although I don’t think Marvel studios knows how to do heavy scenes. I thought the opening scene was awkward and forced, and Thanos/Gamorra’s “sacrifice” was unearned.

I felt Starlord was jarring. They tried to keep the same tone with him and his crew than in their movies, but it simply didn’t work for me. Thor, on the other hand, managed to mostly keep the humour from Ragnarok without it feeling forced.

Any thoughts on Thanos motivation? In previous movies, it looked like they were actually going for the “court Death” plan, but finally he’s just some dude who actually thinks that killing half the population of the Universe would actually be a good thing for everyone. Which is ok, I guess, that way the movie gets the occasional scene where they try to make him relatable. But I would have preferred the original motivation, if they had found a way to make it work (I assumed they didn’t)
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: May 09, 2018, 03:46:13 pm »

I have read that Ant-Man and Wasp will take place before Infinity War; after Civil War. I was also assuming that he/they would be in part 2.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: September 18, 2018, 09:53:12 am »

I followed up on a recommendation to watch Train to Busan, and I'm glad I did. It was a pretty good movie.

I think the zombie theme is getting really overplayed lately, but that doesn't take away from the fact that this movie was well done. There are little subplots going on, but mostly the story is about a man and his strained relationship with his daughter and zombies. The movie was expertly made in a technical sense, and I felt a fondness for some of the characters. And there's a real shithead of a character that you're going to hate.

You may think this is a mix of 28 Days Later and Snowpiercer, though it really has more in common with the former. What it has in common with the latter is that they both take place on trains, though this movie does address the class gap.

The only gripe I have is that there's one scene that is more action-oriented than I expected. And it's not much of a gripe really. And I can't tell if modern trains just aren't that pitch black in tunnels like they were when I rode in the '80s, or if they pulled back on the darkness in order to show what's happening. But I remember tunnels being pitch black.

But pretty good movie. There's talks of a sequel, though it's supposed to be different characters in a different region. In that case, I'm not sure that Train to Busan 2 would be an accurate title. It may have a different title when it's released though.
A man has no signature

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: September 21, 2018, 09:10:03 pm »

Anybody else see the brief teaser for the Joaquin Phoenix "Joker" movie and think it actually looked pretty damn cool?

https://twitter.com/wbpictures/status/1043184618160021505

Admittedly, my expectations are so low after Jared Leto's abysmally bad portrayal of the Joker in Suicide Squad (not entirely his fault, but dear lord) that probably anything would excite me, but yeah. I think Phoenix could pull this off.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1374 on: October 26, 2018, 12:36:51 pm »

I saw a lot of movies this past week.

Koe no Katachi / A Silent Voice was incredible. I didn't expect it to live up to the hype, but it totally did. Great looking animation, great voice acting, and I think the direction conveys the touching story really well. It's not quite as good as some of the other anime films I've praised before, but it's definitely better than anything by Ghibli.

The Breadwinner was a bit of a disappointment. It had a really cool premise with a rarely seen perspective into the war in Afghanistan, the story was good and the art and the animation was good, and the music track, which was entirely done in a traditional Afghani music style using their traditional instruments (at least whenever I paid attention to it), was really cool and unusual. I personally wasn't very impressed with everyone speaking English with what I assume was supposed to be a Persian sounding accent, I think it would have been better to just have the characters speak the language and subtitle it in English or just have them speak English normally. The main problem with the movie was the direction, because it overwhelmingly felt like I was watching a children's movie throughout the entire film, and it made me feel really stupid for watching it with no children present. It felt like they toned everything down as much as they could, and then the whole emotional impact of the movie was very underwhelming as a result, which is exactly the opposite of what it should have been on a movie with this premise and this plot.

No Country For Old Men was pretty okay. It had interesting characters, it had some action scenes that were pretty cool, and it was ever so slightly thought-provoking at the surface level, and there was nothing really wrong with it per say, but I just expect movies to be better.

The 12th Man was interesting. I wasn't familiar with the true story that it's based on, so it was interesting to see for that reason, but also it occasionally left me wondering how much of it actually took place, and which parts were just the creators using some artistic liberties to make it a more entertaining film. The cinematography was super good, and they managed to make the main character very relatable.

Nightcrawler was pretty good. The characters were interesting, the action scenes were actually intense, the camera work was pretty interesting at times, and the story was pretty cool too. What I didn't like about it was the color grading, which made it a bit irritating to watch with all the contrast and saturation in every scene.

Snowden was neither amazing nor disappointing. Pretty much everything in the movie was done sufficiently well and it was entertaining enough to watch.

28 Days Later was another pretty okay film. Not really at all moving or thought-provoking in any way, but I had fun enough watching it.

Paprika was also good. I might get a better understanding of it if I watch it again later, but on the other hand, I'm not sure I liked it enough to warrant watching it again.

I also re-watched Exhibit A, Garden of Words, and K-On! Movie, all of which were still exactly as good as I thought when I saw them for the first time respectively, as well as The Tunnel, which wasn't as good as I remembered but it was still pretty good.

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.