Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346850 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #1300 on: August 19, 2017, 07:26:00 pm »

I recently saw The Seven Samurai, which was honestly pretty mediocre. I get that it must have been quite groundbreaking for its time, but by modern standards it's really just barely meeting those standards. Like if I go read an overwhelmingly positive review of the movie (which is apparently a lot of them), the reviewer is praising the film for things that you can take for granted when you go see a movie today. I'm not saying that it completely sucked or anything, I just found it to be a very underwhelming experience for the hype.

I also recently saw Interstellar, which I was also disappointed by but not nearly as much. It had some very excellent sci-fi moments during the first half (maybe first 2/3?) of the movie, and then it went totally crazy and I didn't appreciate the total lack of explanation for how that science was supposed to work, and the happy ending felt kind of forced and didn't work so well for this film. But it also had nice music.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: August 19, 2017, 09:56:30 pm »

I didn't appreciate the total lack of explanation for how that science was supposed to work

That's because such an explanation doesn't exist. He would have died. Even assuming he doesn't, what happens afterwards makes zero sense from a scientific point of view. It works better if you think of it as an homage to 2001, maybe?

Unrelated, but I only saw Spiderman: Homecoming recently. I liked it! I liked what they did to the characters, especially how they reimagined the bad guys. The vulture was a menacing, no-nonsense villain, that worked well to raise the stakes for Peter Parker while staying grounded and local (I was only slightly taken aback by how cavalier he is about Shocker #1 death). Also, that scene before the Homecoming party was great. Main gripes are:
- why is Shocker #2 at the party? Vulture didn't know about Peter Parker before the ride, nor could he have called him afterwards, since Peter darts out pretty much instantly
- Tony's Stark position about what is and what isn't acceptable for Peter to do seems completely random and shifts depending on which act of the movie we're in.
- Peter Parker is basically immune to death from great heights. It's fairly ridiculous.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1302 on: August 21, 2017, 12:34:20 pm »

I saw Dunkirk in the theaters today. Was pretty good, I don't really have any complaints about it, I guess it didn't exactly resonate within me as much as it could have but it was definitely entertaining enough.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: August 21, 2017, 08:19:35 pm »

Oh yeah, regarding Dunkirk, I think I have seen pretty much every Nolan movie he made, but I'm not really interesting in war movies in general. So I wonder (without spoiling anything of course), does it have something special what makes it worth watching anyway? Or is it just a generic well made war movie?

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: August 22, 2017, 01:25:51 am »

Oh yeah, regarding Dunkirk, I think I have seen pretty much every Nolan movie he made, but I'm not really interesting in war movies in general. So I wonder (without spoiling anything of course), does it have something special what makes it worth watching anyway? Or is it just a generic well made war movie?

In my opinion it had about a half scoop of the Nolan special sauce. I would not say it's just like any old war movie, but it doesn't stand out as mind-bending or genre-bending either. I think it's worth seeing because it it very good, but don't expect it to be your favorite Nolan film.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1305 on: August 22, 2017, 05:38:47 am »

In my opinion it had about a half scoop of the Nolan special sauce. I would not say it's just like any old war movie, but it doesn't stand out as mind-bending or genre-bending either. I think it's worth seeing because it it very good, but don't expect it to be your favorite Nolan film.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about it too. I'm also interested in war movies in general and it's not my favorite war movie either.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: August 22, 2017, 08:45:56 am »

Oh, it is from Nolan? I'm a big fan of his discography, although I think every movie since The Prestige has been weaker than the one before. Sorta disappointed he made a war movie next, though I haven't seen it yet so I shouldn't judge.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: August 22, 2017, 10:50:46 am »

Oh, it is from Nolan? I'm a big fan of his discography, although I think every movie since The Prestige has been weaker than the one before. Sorta disappointed he made a war movie next, though I haven't seen it yet so I shouldn't judge.

As a huge Nolan fan, I can definitely say that Dunkirk was very different than his other works. Primarily in that most Nolan movies are very heavy on dialog; not so much expositional dialog, but dialog dealing with the weight of the situations. Dunkirk has very few lines; it is pretty much pure visual storytelling (sound plays a huge role as well, but not dialog).
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Darth Vader

• Young Witch
  • You don't know the power of the draw card
  • Respect: +314
    • View Profile
    • Best Site Ever
« Reply #1308 on: September 09, 2017, 08:37:13 pm »

So Star Wars Episode 8. The Last Jedi. Kyle Ren or whatever my grandsons name is is better not mess it up. It's only one Jedi. That should be easy.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: September 09, 2017, 09:33:23 pm »
+1

In Germany, the "last" in the title is plural, sounds like bad news for you.

Darth Vader

• Young Witch
  • You don't know the power of the draw card
  • Respect: +314
    • View Profile
    • Best Site Ever
« Reply #1310 on: September 09, 2017, 10:59:23 pm »

In Germany, the "last" in the title is plural, sounds like bad news for you.

Uh oh.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: September 10, 2017, 09:08:40 am »
+1

it's not like you care at all... with you being dead  :P

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: September 10, 2017, 03:58:41 pm »

For the past week I was wondering just how can they cram Stephen King's It into a 2-hour movie. The answer is that they cannot. I was unaware that this is only Chapter 1. That does make sense, and I'm not mad, bro.

The film was very competent. There were some pretty good shots, and the actors all seemed to do pretty well. As to be expected, some scenes did not make it into the movie, and I missed them terribly, but a newcomer likely wouldn't notice.

So far the gripes I have about it are few. Due to the setting change, Richie's fear was also changed. I understand why they abandoned the Wolfman, but they could have chosen a better target. Also, the lone "beep-beep" line was really out of place since they changed that up too. And finally, the resolution was more physical than spiritual. Leaving this vague for anyone not familiar with the story, but let me just say that the battery acid will be missed.

But pretty good movie. Will watch Chapter 2.
A man has no signature

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: September 10, 2017, 04:14:44 pm »

For the past week I was wondering just how can they cram Stephen King's It into a 2-hour movie. The answer is that they cannot. I was unaware that this is only Chapter 1. That does make sense, and I'm not mad, bro.

The film was very competent. There were some pretty good shots, and the actors all seemed to do pretty well. As to be expected, some scenes did not make it into the movie, and I missed them terribly, but a newcomer likely wouldn't notice.

So far the gripes I have about it are few. Due to the setting change, Richie's fear was also changed. I understand why they abandoned the Wolfman, but they could have chosen a better target. Also, the lone "beep-beep" line was really out of place since they changed that up too. And finally, the resolution was more physical than spiritual. Leaving this vague for anyone not familiar with the story, but let me just say that the battery acid will be missed.

But pretty good movie. Will watch Chapter 2.

As someone who has not seen/read other versions of the story, I thought the movie was very well done. Maybe it was the atmosphere...there was an overwhelming majority of 14-18 year-olds in a packed theater. When the jump-out-at-you scary parts happened we had our fair share of shouts, etc. But I could definitely tell that this was a well crafted story based on a good book. It wasn't too funny, too horror, too serious, but a well balanced story that touched on several emotions throughout the story. I had no expectations of really enjoying it going in, but I was pleasantly surprised by it and enjoyed the movie.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: September 10, 2017, 09:23:50 pm »

That answers my question, e. I was wondering how it holds up to people who didn't know the story. As someone who read the book, I was able to fill in the gaps of the movie with knowledge of the book (for example, Eddie was told about his situation by the adult himself and not his daughter, though I guess it provides another vehicle for Greta to be a bitch). So obviously I couldn't view the movie with a clean slate. It's good to hear that someone unfamiliar with the story was able to appreciate it. It felt rushed to me, but of course it would.
A man has no signature

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: September 10, 2017, 11:47:47 pm »

In an attempt to procrastinate my thesis, I recently saw a bunch of movies:

28 days later. Enjoyable, although some of the effects made me cringe (smoke over a city didn't move in sync with camera). I like if this kind of movie stays slightly scary throughout its run without ever getting tedious or too much for me to handle, and this movie hit the sweet spot.

Zombieland. Enjoyable. A bit too silly for my liking, and with one or two rather absurd plot holes imo. But it's not a Shakespearean drama, I think.

Alien. Also enjoyable. I was actually pretty scared at parts even though I knew almost everything (like, the same way everybody knows Darth Vader is Luke's father without having seen any Star Wars movie). Also I learned the artist who did the Alien design was a Swiss surrealist.

The mist. I wish I hadn't known how this one ends before. Pro tip: Don't take your horror movie suggestions from Youtube, where they'll spoil everything.

The thing. Also enjoyable. Not necessarily something I would watch again, but I think seeing it at least once can be recommended.

Smurfs - the lost village. Surprisingly good. I always hated the look of the life-action/cgi Smurf movies, but this one hits right into the nostalgia. Also, Smurfette is actually a relatable character in this one, which was the movie's greatest achievement.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: September 11, 2017, 03:29:01 pm »
+1

I recently looked into the mist and found it pretty awful... like, they go to this other store to get supplies or whatever and stick around a minute longer for absolutely no reason except to satisfy their curiosity and then someone gets killed. I remember being impressed the first time, though.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: September 11, 2017, 07:07:50 pm »

I recently looked into the mist and found it pretty awful... like, they go to this other store to get supplies or whatever and stick around a minute longer for absolutely no reason except to satisfy their curiosity and then someone gets killed. I remember being impressed the first time, though.

Admittedly, parts of the movie didn't make that much sense to me, either. I assumed I had just missed something because I had the movie running in the background while preparing graphs for my thesis, so I shrugged it off.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: September 23, 2017, 04:16:31 pm »

So I watched the new It today; I was very impressed.  The kids were all pretty much spot on, and it stayed fairly close in-line with the book's 1957/1958 events. , modulo some of the more 'spiritual' (or whathaveyou) parts from the book).  The things that were changed/updated mostly seemed good (though, I'm disappointed we did not get This is battery acid, you slime!).

The sound balancing seemed really odd in the beginning; like all the music and effects were overly loud.  I didn't notice it later on, though, so maybe I got used to it or it was just an aberration.

Looking forward to the second part.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: September 23, 2017, 04:34:31 pm »

One thing I think this movie did well is carry over the idea of It as a metaphor for systemic evil in real-world societies.  People are generally complacent with terrible things happening as long as they're done behind closed doors.  The movie didn't really spell it out, but they kept enough relevant scenes and content from the book for that to come through.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: October 09, 2017, 06:47:41 pm »

In prep for the new Blade Runner, I rewatched the old one. And well, the visuals hold up well. The rest of it? Not really. The plot very thin, Decker hardly has any character, and the theme of him feeling empathy for the replicants is undermined by the fact that after having sex with one, he then goes and murders a bunch of other replicants without a second thought.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: October 09, 2017, 09:14:45 pm »

In prep for the new Blade Runner, I rewatched the old one. And well, the visuals hold up well. The rest of it? Not really. The plot very thin, Decker hardly has any character, and the theme of him feeling empathy for the replicants is undermined by the fact that after having sex with one, he then goes and murders a bunch of other replicants without a second thought.

I think you missed an important point here. There is no big reveal in the movie but there are clues to Decker also being a replicant. This changes the perspective of everything. This sci-fi theme has been explored elsewhere so perhaps it isn't as novel as it used to be but few movies explore the sci-fi so artfully.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: October 09, 2017, 10:10:06 pm »
+2

Have you guys seen the new Star Wars trailer.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: October 09, 2017, 11:03:53 pm »

I think you missed an important point here. There is no big reveal in the movie but there are clues to Decker also being a replicant. This changes the perspective of everything. This sci-fi theme has been explored elsewhere so perhaps it isn't as novel as it used to be but few movies explore the sci-fi so artfully.

The new movie expands on the themes, visuals and music in awesome ways (10/10). The plot is still a secondary consideration (6/10) and outside of the main character / maaaybbeee his love interest / Decker there's not particularly strong characters (5/10).

I would strongly recommend BR 2049 for any Scifi/cyberpunk fans though and would argue that KingZog3 suffered a bit from Seinfeld Is Unfunny and that's a bit less likely to be true for the new sequel.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: October 09, 2017, 11:37:50 pm »

Have you guys seen the new Star Wars trailer.

Yes
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.