Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346921 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #1275 on: July 08, 2017, 06:58:42 pm »

Best movie I've seen this year (out of 47 movies that I saw for the first time this year): Prisoners. Yes, I often only get around to seeing things a few years later. But it was amazing.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: July 10, 2017, 07:08:03 pm »

Baby Driver is pretty good. Not Edgar Wright's best movie, but it's fun, and well put together.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1277 on: July 11, 2017, 09:07:34 pm »

Kizumonogatari is fucking amazing.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: July 12, 2017, 12:14:08 pm »

Well the wikipedia page on it sure is a big ole wtf.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1279 on: July 12, 2017, 01:38:31 pm »

Well the wikipedia page on it sure is a big ole wtf.

The Wikipedia page for Kizumonogatari does a really poor job at describing it because it just basically tells you the plot and the plot, at face value, is pretty much irrelevant. Basically it's an outstanding adaptation of an avant-garde novel centered around suicide symbolism, character interactions, word play, metahumor and fan service.

Actually the Wikipedia article is even slightly wrong in that Kizumonogatari doesn't exactly translate to "Wound Story" but rather, it's a portmanteau of kizumono (damaged goods) and monogatari (story).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: July 14, 2017, 11:32:30 am »

Just saw Spiderman Homecoming. Good stuff.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: July 17, 2017, 09:51:58 am »

Saw The Big Sick last night.  Highly recommend it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1282 on: July 17, 2017, 03:07:05 pm »

It's been a long ass time since I last saw the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but I just rewatched it with my niece recently and it was a surprisingly disappointing experience to be honest. I remembered them being super awesome movies, but while they have many super awesome aspects to them, there's a lot of stuff that just sticks out as really awkward and embarrassing. The complete lack of moral ambiguity gets also a little irritating in the long run; Sauron is just basically pure evil and then there are the guys who are on Sauron's side, and then there's everyone else who can be varying degrees of stupid and/or corrupted by Sauron but other than that they're all perfectly good.

I actually think that The Hobbit movies, which I've seen recently due to the fact that they were released pretty recently, are significantly better and much easier to take seriously, speaking as someone who's not the biggest fan of high fantasy but doesn't hate it either.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: July 17, 2017, 03:16:19 pm »

This is such an Awaclus thing to say. There is A and there is B which is markedly worse but for some reason you come out in favor of B over A. If it was anyone else I'd suspect trying to provoke reactions (in your case I have no doubt it's genuine).

I've rewatched LotR fairly recently and thought they were great (though I do agree about them being morally simplistic). Or rather, I thought #1 and #3 were great and #2 pretty good. Hobbit movies are 100% soulless action, not worth watching.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1284 on: July 17, 2017, 03:50:29 pm »

Hobbit movies are 100% soulless action, not worth watching.

What do you mean? They're amazing. I guess the theatrical editions are a bit too rushed here and there, but I only have a couple of very minor complaints about the extended editions. They look great and feel great, the speculah was a ton of fun and the movies never disappointed in that regard.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: July 18, 2017, 05:07:47 am »

Tip of the iceberg: there is a bridge currently in the process of collapsing, and legolas jumps ON THE PIECES as they break away and makes it back to safety.

I think the movies have lost any claim to be taken seriously.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: July 18, 2017, 05:40:01 am »
+1

Tip of the iceberg: there is a bridge currently in the process of collapsing, and legolas jumps ON THE PIECES as they break away and makes it back to safety.

Haven't seen The Hobbit movies, but the LOTR movies do feature Legolas surfing on oliphants, so...
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1287 on: July 18, 2017, 07:33:29 am »

Legolas is clearly depicted as being able to pull off impossible things due to him being an elf (and not just any elf but himself specifically) throughout both trilogies and that's just another example of that. If you are fine with Gandalf catching up with his sword when he was falling during the balrog fight, there's no reason why you shouldn't be fine with that scene from The Hobbit as well since in both cases it's a character with magic powers doing physically implausible stuff.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: July 18, 2017, 10:45:10 am »
+1

I think if this is the kind of argument you want to make against a specific movie, you should just say "there is Legolas" and stop.  His existence just as ludicrous as jumping on broken pieces of a bridge.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: July 18, 2017, 11:13:29 am »

Haven't seen The Hobbit movies, but the LOTR movies do feature Legolas surfing on oliphants, so...

While that was stretching it, I think there is still about one order of magnitude difference in believability.

Oliphants are at least fairly big, this scene afaik took a bit of time and Legolas does have slightly superhuman agility.

Do you think the movies are similar in quality?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1290 on: July 18, 2017, 12:14:51 pm »

While that was stretching it, I think there is still about one order of magnitude difference in believability.

Oliphants are at least fairly big, this scene afaik took a bit of time and Legolas does have slightly superhuman agility.

Do you think the movies are similar in quality?

Legolas doesn't have "slightly superhuman agility", he has magic powers. He doesn't see the uruk-hai taking the hobbits to Isengard because his physical eyesight is that good, he does because magic.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: July 28, 2017, 11:22:37 am »

Dunkirk - Intense is the best way to describe it. One of those movies that actually is stressful to watch. In a way that shows how well the film was made. The most visual and action oriented storytelling movie I've seen; outside of maybe Fury Road. Not the kind of movie I look forward to seeing again soon; but the kind I'm really glad I saw in theaters.

I saw it in 70mm, but not IMAX.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: July 29, 2017, 09:07:20 pm »

Saw The Big Sick last night.  Highly recommend it.

Just saw it last night. I really liked it. It was a great combination of funny and heartfelt. My silly description of it is it's like if While You Were Sleeping made more sense and starred a Pakistani standup comic who was under a lot of family pressure.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1293 on: August 02, 2017, 06:02:40 pm »

I have recently seen 5 Centimeters per Second and The Garden of Words (both from your name.'s director, Makoto Shinkai). The former was okay, but it really didn't live up to my expectations at all. The latter very much did, and with a very convenient run time of 46 minutes I bet I'll be rewatching it a ton.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: August 03, 2017, 08:26:59 am »

I have recently seen 5 Centimeters per Second and The Garden of Words (both from your name.'s director, Makoto Shinkai). The former was okay, but it really didn't live up to my expectations at all. The latter very much did, and with a very convenient run time of 46 minutes I bet I'll be rewatching it a ton.

Garden of Words is on Netflix, right?  I have that on my list.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1295 on: August 03, 2017, 08:51:37 am »

Garden of Words is on Netflix, right?  I have that on my list.

Seems so.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: August 17, 2017, 09:41:45 am »
+1

I managed to go see Baby Driver. I had no interest in the movie at first. It looked like your typical heist film involving fast cars and stunt driving. Well, first off, I wouldn't call it a heist movie. The heists themselves were not very interesting, and in fact, the heists were barely shown. The director took great pains to gloss over the actual heist and focus more on the aftereffects. In one scene, the crew were hitting an armored truck. Baby (the titular character) pulls forward in the car so the armored truck is no longer in frame. A moment later, Baby backs up, and you see the criminals running back to the car with one of the guards killed. This was a sticking point for Baby, as he did not prefer violence.

Nothing in this movie is unpredictable. In fact, before we decided to see it, my wife narrated the film based on the trailers only. She was pretty accurate. But the movie is good to watch. The director put a lot of love into it. You can see it in each purposeful shot. In the laundromat, the wall was full of front-loaded washers where each washer contained only one color. You had this patchwork grid behind the characters. In another shot, the camera was at the base of a building looking up. A double yellow stripe running along the building made it look like a road.

The director blended music well into the movie. A friend of mine told us as we were going in to watch the music. It didn't make sense at the time, but it became obvious during the movie. Many scenes were set to the music. Even how Baby arranges four coffee cups in a carrier was done to a beat.

You'll see nothing new in the story of Baby Driver, but I think it's worth a viewing to appreciate the direction's love of cinema.

I also finally watched the Simpsons movie. First off, I can't believe it came out 10 years ago, but that's really a me issue. I found it rather lackluster. The production quality was nice. It had a polished feel compared to the weekly episodes, but that's not why I was watching it. The humor didn't really grab me. Honestly I can't think of a scene that made me laugh. I think I chuckled a bit at the penis scene because of how absurd and sudden it was.

But the movie's quality didn't really surprise me. Recent seasons have been mediocre. Some of those episodes do give me a laugh, which is why the movie was overall disappointing.
A man has no signature

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: August 17, 2017, 12:38:03 pm »

The only thing wrong with Baby Drive is that Tarantino didn't direct it. You are correct that it is film for film's sake.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: August 19, 2017, 01:09:05 pm »

I just watched both The Silence Of The Lambs and Hannibal a couple of days back. They are vastly different films. The Silence Of The Lambs is not as good a movie as people hype it up to be, but it is a solid flick that's interesting because of its character studies more than the plot. It had a nice simplistic premise to it, and a nice contrast to where Hannibal (the incredibly sick man) treats the main character like a human being while everyone else simply sexualizes her. Overall a good film.

Hannibal is a weirder film that is very slow paced and methodical, and it has a distinct European feel to it. I really enjoyed the first half of the film, when it was slow paced and very artistic. Parts of it were a bit silly, and I had major problems with the writing of Hannibal in that film. He seemed... Not himself. He was much less analytical, and he put Claire through a bunch of shit at the end that I think he wouldn't have actually done. He has respect for Claire, he treated her like an equal. I really don't think he'd kiss her or do weird shit like he did at the end. Anyways, the second half of the film was horrifying and weird and I think ultimately ruined the film for me.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: August 19, 2017, 04:58:59 pm »
+1

The only thing wrong with Baby Drive is that Tarantino didn't direct it. You are correct that it is film for film's sake.

Don't you dare disparage Edgar Wright.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.779 seconds with 21 queries.