Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346865 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #1250 on: June 07, 2017, 11:40:53 pm »

I think of Disney as the fast food of animated things.

Well, for the most parts, that's a pretty accurate comparison. Both are super easy and convenient, bad for you, bad for your environment and questionable in regards to human rights. I guess the main difference is that fast food is an enjoyable experience.

My statement was not supposed to be an insult. Ghibli movies always have certain things in common. The animation is the most obvious, but the stories also have a certain air to them. This is very different from what you will observe in other anime. Similarly, Disney feature films at least have a very different feel to them than you will find in some other western animation. Automatically taking this as a judgement of quality goes besides my actual point.

I wasn't really trying to represent what you were saying in any way, I just saw and took the opportunity to remind everyone that Disney is cancer.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: June 08, 2017, 09:42:54 am »

Case in point: Pixar was great until Disney bought it.

I saw Wonder Woman a couple of days ago. It doesn't deserve all of the praise it is getting, but it's not an entirely bad film either. It had fun moments, although I'm still struggling on whether or not to recommend it?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: June 09, 2017, 12:52:03 pm »

I don't like Disney either.
But Episode VII was so good!
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: June 09, 2017, 09:36:08 pm »

I don't like Disney either.
But Episode VII was so good!

Remove the so and I will agree with you.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: June 09, 2017, 11:10:54 pm »

For what it's worth, I don't have anything against anime per se, yet I don't like Studio Ghibli. I don't particularly dislike them either, but their plots just don't do it for me. I've seen Totoro, Nausicaa, Howl's Moving Castle, and Grave of the Fireflies.

One of these movies is not like the others

And Kimi No Wa was good but not great IMO. 8.5/10 surface entertainment but doesn't really attempt to make any artistic statement. Definitely fits into the category of Kids movie I guess, which isn't inherently a knock on it.

It didn't help that there were all the glaring similarities to five centimeters per second at the ending..

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1255 on: June 10, 2017, 04:40:35 am »

And Kimi No Wa was good but not great IMO. 8.5/10 surface entertainment but doesn't really attempt to make any artistic statement.

Does it really have to make an artistic statement though?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: June 10, 2017, 05:04:05 am »

And Kimi No Wa was good but not great IMO. 8.5/10 surface entertainment but doesn't really attempt to make any artistic statement.

Does it really have to make an artistic statement though?

That's a tough statement. It definitely doesn't need to make an artistic statement, but that's still what I generally reserve my "favorite" designations for. It had a goal and fulfilled it excellently but I don't know if I ever will view it in the same way that I view Grave of the Fireflies.

I'm one of those people that's overly generous with my ratings, mostly on a 5-10 schema. I'd never really give a film like Kiwi No Wa 10/10, 9/10 is where stuff like that's capped for me (I gave Kiwi No Wa 8/10 on my personal scale).

I also only gave Grave of the Fireflies an 8/10 too I guess, because it was a relatively worse film in terms of storytelling but far more evocative in terms of art and in terms of how much I thought about the film after watching it.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 05:05:53 am by O »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: June 11, 2017, 12:07:39 am »

What did you see in Grave of the Fireflies? I know it's been discussed before in this thread, but I am curious. Among other flaws, I just couldn't get past how unlikeable the main character was.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: June 11, 2017, 12:25:10 am »
+3

What did you see in Grave of the Fireflies? I know it's been discussed before in this thread, but I am curious. Among other flaws, I just couldn't get past how unlikeable the main character was.
inc. mini essay warning

The main character is somewhat unlikable because he's accurately resembling a kid, which is somewhat accurately based off of the authors own experiences (obviously he survived in real life, but his sister did starve). I don't expect a kid whose mother dies in a fire and whose standard of living suddenly plummets to act like an angel.

Grave of the Fireflies shows WW2 from a perspective that is ignored in other films in many other ways. Saving Private Ryan shows a solitary soldier's U.S. military perspective. Midway kind of shows the war from the Macro sense of the military side. Schindler's List shows the individual suffering of Jews in WW2 but both 1. demonstrates it and contextualizes it as a direct result of a "villian" enemy and 2. is primarily a film about Jews being saved, not about Jews dying.

GotF shows the perspective of the horrific, unavoidable cost of the incidental deaths of war. It's not a film about war heroics, it's not a film about soldiers, and it's not a film about villians or the enemy. It is about the pointlessly unnecessary deaths of a boy, his sister and his mother because from their perspective that is all that is really relevant. The war happened, and the war (mostly) caused this absurd suffering, irrespective of soldiers countries or bigotry.

Even if one accepts some macro-focused "need" for military intervention it's still important to truly accept and consider the perspective, and GotF does that excellently both with the direct, simply story and the well placed metaphorical imagery.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: June 11, 2017, 07:12:05 am »

inc. mini essay warning

The main character is somewhat unlikable because he's accurately resembling a kid, which is somewhat accurately based off of the authors own experiences (obviously he survived in real life, but his sister did starve). I don't expect a kid whose mother dies in a fire and whose standard of living suddenly plummets to act like an angel.

Grave of the Fireflies shows WW2 from a perspective that is ignored in other films in many other ways. Saving Private Ryan shows a solitary soldier's U.S. military perspective. Midway kind of shows the war from the Macro sense of the military side. Schindler's List shows the individual suffering of Jews in WW2 but both 1. demonstrates it and contextualizes it as a direct result of a "villian" enemy and 2. is primarily a film about Jews being saved, not about Jews dying.

GotF shows the perspective of the horrific, unavoidable cost of the incidental deaths of war. It's not a film about war heroics, it's not a film about soldiers, and it's not a film about villians or the enemy. It is about the pointlessly unnecessary deaths of a boy, his sister and his mother because from their perspective that is all that is really relevant. The war happened, and the war (mostly) caused this absurd suffering, irrespective of soldiers countries or bigotry.

Even if one accepts some macro-focused "need" for military intervention it's still important to truly accept and consider the perspective, and GotF does that excellently both with the direct, simply story and the well placed metaphorical imagery.

Comparing it to Spielberg films is not really fair. Spielberg has nothing interesting to say in his "war" movies at all.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

O

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: June 11, 2017, 07:46:53 am »

inc. mini essay warning

Comparing it to Spielberg films is not really fair. Spielberg has nothing interesting to say in his "war" movies at all.

i mean i just went for critically acclaimed ones, i wasn't specifically going for Spielberg. and beyond that I disagree on Schindler's list. 

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: June 20, 2017, 02:42:23 am »

inc. mini essay warning

Sorry, somehow missed that you answered the question.

I guess the fact that the story is pseudo-autobiographical changes things a bit, but whether or not the kid's behaviour is realistic does not affect the fact that I simply can't find him relatable. Sure, he is a kid, he doesn't know better, etc., but the movie clearly presents all the bad things that happen to him as a consequence of his poor decisions after his mother's injury/death gives him agency. As far as I remember, all of the other families we are (briefly) shown are not doing great but they are still getting by. So the movie makes a very weak point about the war itself and more on the obvious and inevitable consequences of his lack of wisdom when exposed to adversity. Yes, it's not his fault both his parents die, and his aunt is a bit of a witch and should have felt more responsible about their well-being, but ultimately he is the one severing that connection.

As I mentioned last time, most of my exposure to war movies while growing up were about the Spanish Civil War. Not a single story about the "front" there, just terse, soul-crushing accounts of how, in that situation, sometimes all possible choices for a family ranged somewhere from bad to horrible, and the things fear makes people do to each other. So I guess that set different expectations than growing up watching Private Ryan. I could understand liking the movie in that case.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1262 on: June 20, 2017, 04:46:38 am »

As I mentioned last time, most of my exposure to war movies while growing up were about the Spanish Civil War.

Any good ones you'd recommend? I haven't seen any on that topic and it could be interesting.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: June 20, 2017, 05:01:43 am »

I think we've had this discussion before pac, but yes, the boy is responsible for everything bad that happens. He's, what, 15 ? Maybe a bit older ? In any case, he's rather young, he just lost his mother in a horrific manner and his aunt - while justified in some ways - doesn't handle the situation well at all.

The key point in the film is when he decides not to tell his sister about the mom's death. This is what guides all his actions in the rest of the film: he just lost his innoncence, lost his childhood, and he refuses to let it happen to his sister. Everything he does, he does it to allow his sister to remain in the garden of Eden that is childhood. But of course, that can only exist if responsible adults take care of everything, and he's not able to do that, so he fails.

The film constantly pushes and pull in that way, with moments of bliss and innocence contrasted with both the overall context and where it actually ends. That is the power of the film: it evokes that longing to stay carefree, but the impossibility to do so.

The novel might be about war, but Takahata made a film about the tragic but necessary loss of innocence that comes with adulthood.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: June 20, 2017, 08:26:56 am »

I just watched Don't Breathe. Very apt name for the movie.

The gist is that these three kids burgle homes and thought they found the perfect score with a blind shut-in veteran in an abandoned neighborhood. Terrible things happen.

The story was pretty good. I didn't have too much trouble with the performance. I found the douchebag to be extremely unlikable, so he fulfilled the horror movie trope.

There was one shocking revelation that made the audience stop feeling pity for the victim. In one sense it was great because it added a layer of (icky) complexity to this guy you knew very little about, but once they did that, they chose to follow every horror trope out there. I could have done without that.

There were some unanswered questions that could probably be hand-waved away. One question implies that the shut-in must have some pretty close friends. Another one depends on how unobservant or overworked the Detroit police department is.

Enjoyable movie but nothing groundbreaking once you get past the blind man who is scary in close-combat fighting.
A man has no signature

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: June 20, 2017, 10:58:55 am »
+2

As I mentioned last time, most of my exposure to war movies while growing up were about the Spanish Civil War.

Any good ones you'd recommend? I haven't seen any on that topic and it could be interesting.

Pan's Labyrinth is an excellent film from Guillermo Del Torro showing the perils of the Spanish Civil War and the same director also made Devil's Backbone.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: June 20, 2017, 04:51:48 pm »

Pan's Labyrinth is an excellent film from Guillermo Del Torro showing the perils of the Spanish Civil War and the same director also made Devil's Backbone.

Interesting enough, it's also about a child being incapable of dealing with grim reality.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: June 21, 2017, 12:56:00 am »
+1

I believe the first one I saw as a kid was La lengua de las mariposas (Butterfly's tongue), and it's one that often comes up on the topic. There's both more and less depressing than that one. If you are into that, I hear that, for a pitch-black story of loss of innocence, Pa Negre (Black bread) is up there, though I haven't watched it (came out right after I left Spain); it is set right after the war, not like it changes much. Uplifting movies that are neither contemporary propaganda nor written by foreigners are rare, though they do exist.

I would be curious to hear what you think if you end up watching either.

Pan's Labyrinth is a... different way of approaching the topic, though it is probably the most internationally well-known movie set during the Spanish Civil War now. Note that Guillermo del Toro is Mexican.

I think we've had this discussion before pac, but yes, the boy is responsible for everything bad that happens. He's, what, 15 ? Maybe a bit older ? In any case, he's rather young, he just lost his mother in a horrific manner and his aunt - while justified in some ways - doesn't handle the situation well at all.

The key point in the film is when he decides not to tell his sister about the mom's death. This is what guides all his actions in the rest of the film: he just lost his innoncence, lost his childhood, and he refuses to let it happen to his sister. Everything he does, he does it to allow his sister to remain in the garden of Eden that is childhood. But of course, that can only exist if responsible adults take care of everything, and he's not able to do that, so he fails.

The film constantly pushes and pull in that way, with moments of bliss and innocence contrasted with both the overall context and where it actually ends. That is the power of the film: it evokes that longing to stay carefree, but the impossibility to do so.

The novel might be about war, but Takahata made a film about the tragic but necessary loss of innocence that comes with adulthood.

Maybe it's a personal failing of mine, maybe you are all kinder than me, maybe I expect too much from young kids. I don't know. I can sympathize with his attempt to shield his sister (his one redeeming quality), but everything else was revealing not just of his youth and condition, but of his poor character. If it's pseudo-autobiographical, I can understand the author being harsher on himself than he should, but that's about it.

Anyway, it's good to have you around again, Teproc :)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: June 21, 2017, 09:16:51 am »

I mean, most people aren't smart, so I don't see why this wouldn't be a perfectly realistic version of how things play out, right?

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: June 21, 2017, 09:27:46 am »

Not saying it's not realistic, just saying I couldn't get engaged with the story due to it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: June 21, 2017, 09:29:33 am »
+1

I watched Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 over the weekend.  It was entertainingish, but seemed weaker (writingwise) than others.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1271 on: June 25, 2017, 07:05:18 pm »

I believe the first one I saw as a kid was La lengua de las mariposas (Butterfly's tongue), and it's one that often comes up on the topic. There's both more and less depressing than that one. If you are into that, I hear that, for a pitch-black story of loss of innocence, Pa Negre (Black bread) is up there, though I haven't watched it (came out right after I left Spain); it is set right after the war, not like it changes much. Uplifting movies that are neither contemporary propaganda nor written by foreigners are rare, though they do exist.

I would be curious to hear what you think if you end up watching either.

I just saw La lengua de las mariposas. It's not exactly what I thought I'd be getting into when I was thinking of war movies about the Spanish Civil War. I mean, I was more interested in the combat and how the war was experienced by the soldiers and everyone else who was directly involved in it, and also a little interested in the political details and stuff, but the film didn't really have combat in it at all and the politics were not really covered in a lot of detail either.

But it was an okay cute film. Wasn't really at all depressing, though.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: June 25, 2017, 10:36:09 pm »

Ah, well, we were talking about Grave of the Fireflies, so that's what I was comparing it to. Can't think of any movie about the "war" proper, sorry.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: July 08, 2017, 04:43:53 pm »

Has anyone seen Okja?  Really brilliant movie.  Don't want to say much about it.. it is by the same guy that did Snowpiercer.  Better to see without knowing much, I think.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: July 08, 2017, 06:49:34 pm »

Has anyone seen Okja?  Really brilliant movie.  Don't want to say much about it.. it is by the same guy that did Snowpiercer.  Better to see without knowing much, I think.

Glenn.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 21 queries.