Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346871 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #1225 on: April 30, 2017, 02:11:06 pm »

Speaking of animation, I just saw 9. One of the best animated movies I've seen in a long time. Everything from the story to the animation was just great.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: May 01, 2017, 09:01:39 am »

Speaking of animation, I just saw 9. One of the best animated movies I've seen in a long time. Everything from the story to the animation was just great.

I feel like 9 was a vastly underappreciated film. My memory is a bit hazy since I hadn't seen it since it came out, but I remember really enjoying the look and feel of the movie. I need to rewatch that and refresh my memory.

I remember people missing the point of the ending. Since my memory of it is not perfect, I cannot speak of it very well right now, but I recall people griping about the ending. They drew what I felt was the wrong conclusion about the necessity of the ending.

Someone else I know went to see Your Name. Hearing yet another positive review for it has gotten my attention, even though I know nothing about it (sometimes that's the best way to go into a movie). I'll keep the silly premise in mind. I felt the same way about Snowpiercer. The premise of that movie is absurd as shit, but the storytelling and the social dynamic are what really made that movie. I think I can almost respect a movie more if it managed to be good in spite of a ridiculous premise.
A man has no signature

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1227 on: May 05, 2017, 02:49:39 pm »

I just saw Kimi No Na Wa (aka your name.) in the cinema and that was a really good film. I didn't think it would turn out to be as good as it did because the premise sounded super dubious, and I still think the premise was dubious but the film was so good that there was a point at which I stopped caring. Super powerful scenes and the animation was some of the best ever, topping even Ghibli I think.

I just saw it again and damn it's good. Like top 5 movie ever good.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: May 09, 2017, 01:26:14 pm »

I just saw Kimi No Na Wa (aka your name.) in the cinema and that was a really good film. I didn't think it would turn out to be as good as it did because the premise sounded super dubious, and I still think the premise was dubious but the film was so good that there was a point at which I stopped caring. Super powerful scenes and the animation was some of the best ever, topping even Ghibli I think.

So, I checked on this one and it's anime. Now, I don't hate the format that is anime but I have yet to see anime I didn't hate. So, if this is typical anime (which is summarizing many, many things) then I doubt I am going to like it. If this is pure awesomeness that just happens to be in an anime format I might give it a try. I will say I found the premise compelling.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1229 on: May 09, 2017, 01:30:56 pm »

So, I checked on this one and it's anime. Now, I don't hate the format that is anime but I have yet to see anime I didn't hate. So, if this is typical anime (which is summarizing many, many things) then I doubt I am going to like it. If this is pure awesomeness that just happens to be in an anime format I might give it a try. I will say I found the premise compelling.

What anime did you see that you hated?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: May 09, 2017, 01:37:10 pm »

What anime did you see that you hated?

The only one I recall the name of for certain was Ghost in the Shell. I don't know if DragonBallZ, Pokemon, etc. count but those go at the bottom of the heap of my hatred.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: May 09, 2017, 01:39:25 pm »

Naruto, yes, I hated that one. Also Princess Mononoke (sp?).

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: May 09, 2017, 01:43:37 pm »

You hated Princess Mononoke?

That would lead me to believe that you very likely do in fact have a problem with the medium itself, and might dislike an anime even if you would like a live action movie with the same story.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: May 09, 2017, 01:45:22 pm »

I think what I hate most are the fans telling me how much I should love it.

If Perfect Hair Forever counts as anime then I can tell you one that I do like.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: May 09, 2017, 01:46:19 pm »

You hated Princess Mononoke?

That would lead me to believe that you very likely do in fact have a problem with the medium itself, and might dislike an anime even if you would like a live action movie with the same story.

The funny part is I am a huge fan of cartoons (which, incidentally, is how I've come into exposure to anime).

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: May 09, 2017, 01:48:27 pm »

New trailer out for It.  I think it looks very promising.

Also, Bladerunner 2049.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: May 09, 2017, 01:58:17 pm »

I like princess Mononoke less than (counting) ... 4 other Ghibli movies I've seen. Still, I think it's hard to dislike it for non-genre related reasons.

I don't find it strange that you like cartoons but not anime. They may be similar from technical perspective level but quite different from a consumer perspective. I'd honestly not waste any more time giving anime chances if I were you.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: May 09, 2017, 02:03:53 pm »

I like princess Mononoke less than (counting) ... 4 other Ghibli movies I've seen. Still, I think it's hard to dislike it for non-genre related reasons.

I don't find it strange that you like cartoons but not anime. They may be similar from technical perspective level but quite different from a consumer perspective. I'd honestly not waste any more time giving anime chances if I were you.

It's interesting that you call it a genre as opposed to a format. I don't disagree.

My wife used to claim to hate sci-fi and westerns. And she is hard pressed to like them but from time to time when we are clearly enjoying a movie I like to poke her and whisper, "you know, this is a western/sci-fi". Sometimes, she is shocked to realize the fact because she has written off the genre as inherently bad.

I'd like to not make that mistake and keep my mind open to the idea that an entire genre can contain something that appeals to me.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1238 on: May 09, 2017, 02:21:08 pm »

@pingpongsam: Well, I think I would dare to recommend it in that case. What's noteworthy is that a lot of the stuff you mentioned is pretty old and targeted towards children or middle schoolers (which is the case for almost all anime that ever got popular in the west, really). Kimi No Na Wa is much more like 2010s late night anime — there is a world of difference between anime in the 90s and anime in the 2010s, and there is another world of difference between late night anime and stuff intended for younger audiences. And then Kimi No Na Wa is just insanely good at that.

I wouldn't really say that anime is a genre though. It just means animation that was made in Japan, which includes stuff like Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt but excludes stuff like RWBY.

As far as Ghibli is concerned, they don't really represent anime at all. No other studio is anything remotely like them.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: May 09, 2017, 03:13:57 pm »

As far as Ghibli is concerned, they don't really represent anime at all. No other studio is anything remotely like them.

I completely agree. They are far better than any other studio.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1240 on: May 09, 2017, 03:29:26 pm »

I completely agree. They are far better than any other studio.

Well, I wouldn't really say that. I certainly think that SHAFT, A-1 Pictures, Kyoto Animation and Silver Link. are better than Ghibli off the top of my head. Also Inu Curry if they count as a studio.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: May 09, 2017, 06:46:07 pm »

For what it's worth, I don't have anything against anime per se, yet I don't like Studio Ghibli. I don't particularly dislike them either, but their plots just don't do it for me. I've seen Totoro, Nausicaa, Howl's Moving Castle, and Grave of the Fireflies.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1242 on: June 01, 2017, 01:46:41 pm »

Pretty excited for this. Certainly not least because it was shot at the military base that I served at, but the trailer looks promising as well.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: June 05, 2017, 07:37:37 pm »

I do agree Ghibli is different than other anime in practically every way. I saw two that I liked (Mononoke & Spirited Away), and two that left me disappointed (Totoro and Kingom of the Cats), so I wouldn't call them better or worse. To me they are to anime what Disney is to western animation: Formally belonging there, but with clear distinctive features of their own. Not that that's limited to Ghibli or Disney - both anime and western animation are very broad. Spirited Away, Dragon Ball and Love Hina have as much in common as Aladdin, Animaniacs and The Smurfs do.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 07:38:58 pm by Asper »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1244 on: June 06, 2017, 02:28:32 am »

To me they are to anime what Disney is to western animation

I'm not sure whether that's supposed to be an insult to Ghibli or western animation.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1245 on: June 06, 2017, 12:18:40 pm »

To me they are to anime what Disney is to western animation

I'm not sure whether that's supposed to be an insult to Ghibli or western animation.

I interpreted it as both. It certainly didn't help foster interest in Ghibli.

If by Disney you mean Pixar then it is far less insulting.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: June 06, 2017, 12:38:34 pm »
+3

If by Disney you mean Pixar then it is far less insulting.

I'm not sure I agree with this. (And I'm a big fan of Pixar). Yes, Disney has had plenty of problems, and they've had some pretty big dry spells in terms of quality. But they're also the studio that brought us Snow White, Aladdin, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Meet the Robinsons, and Zootopia. They have some pretty important contributions to western animation.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: June 06, 2017, 03:21:19 pm »
+1

I really don't like Disney's animation, or Disney films in general.  I find the Studio Ghibli animation much more interesting.  Part of it is probably the factor of it being something different from what I always saw when I was growing up, but I don't think that's all of it.  Studio Ghibli movies, in general, fill me with a kind of wonder.  Disney movies fill me with a sense of.. waiting for it to get over and get on with it.  It's like the journey doesn't provide anything.

I think of Disney as the fast food of animated things.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: June 07, 2017, 05:47:23 pm »
+1

My statement was not supposed to be an insult. Ghibli movies always have certain things in common. The animation is the most obvious, but the stories also have a certain air to them. This is very different from what you will observe in other anime. Similarly, Disney feature films at least have a very different feel to them than you will find in some other western animation. Automatically taking this as a judgement of quality goes besides my actual point.

Either way, as we are comparing quality now, apparently: You all are very familiar with the Disney tropes and clichees, and obviously they annoy you. But has it never occured to anyone here that some people who grew up with Ghibli might find its recurring topics, twists and style just as tiring? That for some people, Disney is a fresh and unexpected deviation? Totoro and Kingdom of the cats being implausible non-stories is excused with magic and wonder here, but the all-too-obvious morals and a black-and-white morality kill Disney movies? I don't think it's a fair comparison if you give something bonus points just for it being new to you. Ghibli movies are not perfect. They don't have the same shortcomings as Disney movies, but they do have shortcomings.

That said, I think it's perfectly fair to say "I don't like Disney movies as much because they can never surprise me.". But that's something else.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:48:33 pm by Asper »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: June 07, 2017, 07:33:01 pm »

Personally I've found a lot of ghilbli movies feel like run on sentences to me. The world of Howl's moving castle is very rich, but all the way through Im still getting shown new characters that are not only important to the plot, but have a history with other characters I already know. I makes it seem like the movie never really knows which story it wants to tell, and doesn't know which sections to cut out and put into another story about the same world. Many people aren't bothered by that, and they feel it's just a detailed world. But I do agree that ghibli movies still have their own pace and style.

I don't like Disney either. But that's not really related to liking ghibli movies or not.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.