Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 347058 times)

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #1125 on: December 01, 2016, 03:09:14 pm »

you can also watch a new movie that you don't already suspect to be bad, sure.

rewatching has advantages of availability and guaranteed quality.

Also, when rewatching I can pick up on a lot more details. It's always amazing how much foreshadowing is provided by the director.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: December 02, 2016, 06:15:56 am »

I completely agree with Awaclus, you need a good excuse to rewatch a movie- there are just so many great ones you've never heard of that it's really a waste of potential when you're rewatching a lot. Of course you should revisit interesting movies from time to time, but making it the default watching would be saddening.

Unrelated, but relevant to the thread: Anyone who likes comed and hasn't seen an Ernst Lubitsch film should immediately correct their mistake. (starting with a Hollywood one)
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: December 02, 2016, 10:44:29 am »

I think "Shiny" from Moana is my favorite Disney musical number now. He's a goofy villain, but he sells it.

Also has a real strong David Bowie vibe, especially his "Life on Mars?" song.
A man has no signature

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: December 03, 2016, 03:47:29 am »

Perhaps some background would help you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zatoichi

Beat Takeshi is quite an accomplished director and actor in Japan -- his Zatoichi won the Silver Lion in Venice that year.  I can see it wasn't your style, but you are in the minority in lambasting it.  Not just Ebert, but many well-known film critics gave it high praise.

I bought the DVD back when it came out.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: December 05, 2016, 03:09:59 pm »

Perhaps some background would help you: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zatoichi

Beat Takeshi is quite an accomplished director and actor in Japan -- his Zatoichi won the Silver Lion in Venice that year.  I can see it wasn't your style, but you are in the minority in lambasting it.  Not just Ebert, but many well-known film critics gave it high praise.

I bought the DVD back when it came out.

It's not just the style. It's the production quality and the screenwriting. I could live with the artistic choices they made, but what killed it for me was the bad music/sound design, questionable cuts, and ultimately flat characters and motivations.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: December 12, 2016, 05:27:41 pm »

I'm thinking about seeing Silence, since it is getting rave reviews. Anyone seen it here?

Also, I'm obviously going to go watch the film that pertains to a certain sci-fi series that you may or may not have heard about.

You know the one.

DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: December 13, 2016, 04:50:59 pm »

I watched Doctor Strange, and I highly recommend it. It's a refreshing Marvel Studios movie in that it's not the same thing as all the other ones. The visuals are actually incredibly stunning.

I really agree with both the first and third sentences here, but could you explain why Doctor Strange seemed so different to you? Personally I felt like this was one of the most formulaic MCU films in a while (not necessarily a bad thing; it's a pretty fun formula.)

This was my feeling as well. I enjoyed the movie; but the actual story/plot felt very formulaic. The visuals and action and acting made it good.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: December 14, 2016, 12:51:04 am »

I'm thinking about seeing Silence, since it is getting rave reviews. Anyone seen it here?

Also, I'm obviously going to go watch the film that pertains to a certain sci-fi series that you may or may not have heard about.

You know the one.

You're going to watch Jodorowsky's Dune? If you weren't planning on it I would recommend it. Excellent documentary.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: December 16, 2016, 02:16:22 pm »
+1

A friend of mine who already saw Rogue One posted that it was good but recognizes that it's not for everyone.

I curiously asked who it's not for. He said people who were confused by A New Hope.

I would wager that most movies are not for those types of people. I think that Ace Ventura might be too complex for them.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 04:09:52 pm by Kuildeous »
A man has no signature

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1134 on: December 16, 2016, 03:53:42 pm »

A friend of mine who already saw Rogue One posted that it was good but recognizes that it's not everyone.

Thank god Rogue One is not everyone! I would hate to be Rogue One, for instance.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: December 16, 2016, 04:10:01 pm »

A friend of mine who already saw Rogue One posted that it was good but recognizes that it's not everyone.

Thank god Rogue One is not everyone! I would hate to be Rogue One, for instance.

Goddamn fingers. You had one job!
A man has no signature

Eevee

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Eevee
  • A wild Eevee appears!
  • Respect: +867
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: December 16, 2016, 05:57:29 pm »

I just got home from seeing Rogue One, and I would say it's a strong contender for the worst film I've ever seen (I don't watch a lot of movies).

There were people leaving the theater 15 minutes into the movie, and also 15 minutes before the end, which I found amusing.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1137 on: December 19, 2016, 05:07:07 am »

Does anyone know any good modern (like, less than 3 years old or so) indie low budget films that you can just watch on YouTube (or vimeo or other similar sites)? Preferably ones that still have pretty good production values.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: December 19, 2016, 05:24:00 am »

like Kung Fury? :P

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1139 on: December 19, 2016, 05:34:58 am »

like Kung Fury? :P

Well, possibly. Primarily, I meant even lower budget though — like, something that could be someone's art school project or something.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: December 19, 2016, 05:35:40 am »
+1

Does anyone know any good modern (like, less than 3 years old or so) indie low budget films that you can just watch on YouTube (or vimeo or other similar sites)? Preferably ones that still have pretty good production values.

When I need something like this I watch Oscar-winning animated movies.

PPE: 1
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1141 on: December 19, 2016, 06:18:58 am »

When I need something like this I watch Oscar-winning animated movies.

PPE: 1

Oscar-winning animated movies are probably the #1 thing I don't need right now. Not least because I don't think very highly of the Academy Awards in general and especially the animated movie award (there are literally judges voting for the animated movie who hold the opinion that people who are over 6 years old shouldn't watch animation), but also because I'm mostly looking for the kind of movies that wouldn't even qualify for the Oscars in the first place.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3191
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: December 19, 2016, 06:21:00 am »
+1

This is pretty good. What's actually going on might not be clear on first viewing.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1143 on: December 19, 2016, 07:55:50 am »

This is pretty good. What's actually going on might not be clear on first viewing.

This is more like what I was looking for.

EDIT: But I'm still looking for more of this kind of a thing, so if anyone has any recommendations, I'd gladly hear them.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 08:04:56 am by Awaclus »

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: December 20, 2016, 11:28:21 pm »

Why does have to be from the last three years?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1145 on: December 20, 2016, 11:41:11 pm »

It can be a little bit older than that, but the point is that pretty decent cameras and computers have gotten a lot cheaper and software has gotten a lot better over time, so it's more realistic to expect people to be able to put together pretty good looking stuff on a low budget.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: December 21, 2016, 12:04:10 am »

Saw Rogue One, and it was alright.  Had some good points, some flaws.  I think it got better after the first half.  The pacing in the beginning felt off, and I think character development suffered.  Dramatic and tense moments didn't have a big effect, because there wasn't enough build up to them, or enough investment in the characters.  It really felt quite rushed.

The other odd thing was.. cinematography?  Or camera shot/editing choices.  Shots were super quick, cutting between lots of things, none of which had clear (to me) focus.  Made action scenes hard to watch and non action scenes... confusing, maybe.

I like that we're seeing more actual war in Star.... Wars.  Like real, people in danger kind of war, not just flashy explosions with lots of smiles.  Not to say that there wasn't that, but it is a least a shift towards a darker narrative. 

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: December 21, 2016, 01:18:04 pm »

It did feel more war-like in Rogue One. Perhaps because you could see the bigger picture rather than just a band of heroes swashbuckling through war-like backdrops.

I agree that the character development didn't do much for me. I didn't really feel any attachment to many of the characters until later on in the movie.

My sample size is admittedly small, but I feel Rogue One was the best prequel I've seen. It was like the writers pored over the original movies and worked backwards to make sure that everything in Rogue One was consistent with what happens in the originals. Other prequels could learn a thing or two (*cough* Episodes I, II, and III).

I even found the gratuitous cameo to be humorous, though I normally am not a fan of gratuitous cameos.
A man has no signature

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: December 22, 2016, 08:00:01 am »

It can be a little bit older than that, but the point is that pretty decent cameras and computers have gotten a lot cheaper and software has gotten a lot better over time, so it's more realistic to expect people to be able to put together pretty good looking stuff on a low budget.

I don't know if they are available on youtube, but I'd recommend the early films by Alex Ross Perry.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: December 22, 2016, 12:34:28 pm »

A few less mainstream films I've seen recently on Netflix and wherever:
Victoria - Interesting mostly because it was shot in one take, a good movie about a girl meeting some men on a night out and things happen. Not the best movie, still good though. German+English.
7 Annos - First class movie. Spanish. Films don't need car chases and explosions to be exciting.
The Devli's Backbone - Good movie. Spanish horror by Guillermo Del Torro. Not as good as Pan's Labyrinth but what is?
Lobster - A British version of a French surrealist movie? It is a comedy and it is funny as well as being a satire on society. Won't suit everyone but it I thought it was excellent.
Convenience - Low budget British movie about a couple of idiots robbing a convenience store. Not the best movie ever but it's funny, taps into the same low life humour as Clerks.

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.