Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346940 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #1100 on: November 07, 2016, 08:15:22 pm »

I watched Doctor Strange, and I highly recommend it. It's a refreshing Marvel Studios movie in that it's not the same thing as all the other ones. The visuals are actually incredibly stunning.

I really agree with both the first and third sentences here, but could you explain why Doctor Strange seemed so different to you? Personally I felt like this was one of the most formulaic MCU films in a while (not necessarily a bad thing; it's a pretty fun formula.)

I haven't seen a lot of MCU movies as of late, because I've gotten sick of them. Maybe it's just that, but I actually found this movie compelling, say versus Thor: Dark World.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

tripwire

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +211
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: November 10, 2016, 05:13:34 pm »

I watched Doctor Strange, and I highly recommend it. It's a refreshing Marvel Studios movie in that it's not the same thing as all the other ones. The visuals are actually incredibly stunning.

I really agree with both the first and third sentences here, but could you explain why Doctor Strange seemed so different to you? Personally I felt like this was one of the most formulaic MCU films in a while (not necessarily a bad thing; it's a pretty fun formula.)

I haven't seen a lot of MCU movies as of late, because I've gotten sick of them. Maybe it's just that, but I actually found this movie compelling, say versus Thor: Dark World.

Fair enough. That being said, I definitely consider Dark World to be the MCU low-point so far.

My fave so far would be Civil War, although I'm not sure if you would consider it "compelling" or not.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: November 10, 2016, 07:46:04 pm »

The good ones are Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, with notable mentions to Antman, Avengers, Hulk (that one was so trippy). The bad ones are the incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Captain America, and I hear that both Thors. Dr Strange is definitely somewhere up there, it's just lacking a slightly less formulaic plot.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: November 10, 2016, 11:19:51 pm »

I liked Captain America! What was wrong with it? It was charming to me, from when I watched it.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: November 18, 2016, 07:55:11 pm »
+2

You all should watch Arrival btw. It's a pretty great scifi movie by denis villeneuve, starring Amy Adams. It's not only very entertaining, but also rich in themes and has some interesting things to say. It's also pretty beautiful, the sound design especially was phenomenal.

It's probably my third or fourth favourite film this year.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: November 18, 2016, 09:31:02 pm »

I just watched "Once Were Warriors", a New Zealand film about the modern Indians there. Holy shit, that movie was completely fucked up. If you ever want a reason to lose faith in humanity, you should go watch that movie.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: November 18, 2016, 09:55:32 pm »

I just watched "Once Were Warriors", a New Zealand film about the modern Indians there. Holy shit, that movie was completely fucked up. If you ever want a reason to lose faith in humanity, you should go watch that movie.

Okay, I'm sold, downloaded...
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: November 18, 2016, 09:56:44 pm »

Do you mean aboriginals?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: November 19, 2016, 11:14:49 am »

Do you mean aboriginals?

I suppose that is the correct term.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: November 19, 2016, 12:17:03 pm »

Do you mean aboriginals?

He most definitely doesn't, the natives of NZ are called Maori

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: November 19, 2016, 12:34:05 pm »

'Aboriginal' is a weird term anyways. It means "away from the original", and aren't they like the original people there? It seems derogatory, and looking it up it practically was when Britain colonized Australia.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: November 19, 2016, 12:34:48 pm »

Do you mean aboriginals?

And yeah, it's from New Zealand, not quite Australia.  8)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: November 19, 2016, 12:47:14 pm »

Do you mean aboriginals?

Uh, am I using the word wrong or something?  Aboriginal means original inhabitants/indigenous people.   In New Zealand these are the Maori people. 

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/aboriginal

Okay I see, the other definition is specifically about Australia, but that's not the base use of the word. 

'Aboriginal' is a weird term anyways. It means "away from the original", and aren't they like the original people there? It seems derogatory, and looking it up it practically was when Britain colonized Australia.

I have no idea where you're getting that.  My searching shows the etymology as:

From aborigine +‎ -al, aborigine being from Latin ab origine ‎(“from the beginning”).

(Just the wiki page.)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: November 19, 2016, 12:54:58 pm »

For the record I know the Maori are native people of New Zealand; Seprix said 'modern Indian', so I was asking if he was using that phrase to mean 'native people', and there is a word for that in general, and it's 'aboriginal' (or other synonyms).  Or there is a connection between New Zealand and India that I knew nothing about.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: November 19, 2016, 01:12:56 pm »

ab means 'away from' in terms of prefixes.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: November 19, 2016, 01:13:55 pm »
+1

ab means 'away from' in terms of prefixes.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ab_origine

Edit: and https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ab#Latin

Can also just be 'from', as in, the source.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 01:15:37 pm by Witherweaver »

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: November 19, 2016, 02:41:42 pm »

Do you mean aboriginals?

Uh, am I using the word wrong or something?  Aboriginal means original inhabitants/indigenous people.   In New Zealand these are the Maori people. 

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/aboriginal

Okay I see, the other definition is specifically about Australia, but that's not the base use of the word. 

I have no idea where you're getting that.  My searching shows the etymology as:

From aborigine +‎ -al, aborigine being from Latin ab origine ‎(“from the beginning”).

(Just the wiki page.)

Interesting. The German word "Aboriginie" has nothing to do with NZ, maybe it's a language thing. My bad!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: November 23, 2016, 10:17:03 am »

So I saw The Handmaiden over the weekend.  Really slow, but really good.  It's by Chan-wook Park (Old Boy), and there are some similar themes, but it's a different kind of movie. 

I haven't seen his other films except Oldboy, but I want to see his other stuff.  They all look pretty interesting (especially, Lady vengeance; Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance; Thirst; I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK). 

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: November 29, 2016, 02:38:57 am »

I watched an incredibly shitty foreign film called The Blind Swordsman: Zatoichi. It was made in 2003 and it feels like a student film. The sound design was horrendous, there were an incredibly high amount of questionable edit cuts, the music was a MIDI piece of shit, the story was all over the place, the climax of the film was shit, the plot twist upon plot twist upon shitty plot twist was horrifying, the special effects were horrific, and the character motivations and dialogue was just horrible.

And then Roger Ebert gives this movie a fucking 3.5 out of 4. Is Roger Ebert a FRAUD!? He must have been high writing such high praise for this godawful movie. http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-blind-swordsman-zatoichi-2004

In fact, I see nothing but high praise for this incredibly shitty action flick. There are people out there who like it because it's unconventional, and I'm okay with unconventional. I like unconventional. But it has to work. And this movie simply does not work.

Watch this 2 minute clip and tell me that's not utter shit. And I don't mind a shitty post-production movie if the story is good. It's not.

The movie started off well enough. It fooled me into thinking it was a decent movie for the first 5 minutes, even with the awful fake CGI blood they decided to go with for some reason.

Spoilers, I'm going to talk about the plot and it's not worth watching so don't worry.

Basically there's this blind man named Zatiochi who is a Samurai and he walks into this town where the Gizno gang runs things. There's an incredible amount of cringy exposition in the dialogue the further along this movie goes. It's like the screenwriter got lazy after the first 20 pages or so. So anyways, off track.

There's this Samurai referred to as the Bodyguard who is basically the main Vader type bad guy who does all the grunt work like a badass, and he has a wife or girlfriend who is sick, which is why he's being a bodyguard for the bad guy Giznos. She hates him killing people, and they mention this a few times, but she ends up taking a back seat to the rest of the film, despite her worries being a possible interesting side story for the movie. She also conveniently commits suicide unprovoked near the end of the film. I shit you not. She just pulls out a knife and ends it all, Japanese-style. No dialogue involving her for the last half hour before that. Just a shitty suicide with NO MOTIVATION. AAAAAAUUUUGGGHHHHH did a third grader write this shit

So what kicks this movie off is that the people are complaining that the Gizmos are stealing all their money through a protection racket. The blind guy ends up going gambling and he's perfect at it. He meets some deadbeat nephew or cousin of the landlady the blind guy is staying with, whom they explain using a horrible horrible transition effect, putting the image of him gambling over them talking, an effect they never repeat again in the film, so don't say it's some stylistic shit.

So anyways, the blind guy meets up with the nephew and they make a shit ton of money off gambling, and they go to get some hookers. Well, the nephew guy does, the blind guy just tags along because why not, old guys gotta get some action too. So they pick up some ladies, and they go in, and then the ladies are ambushing them but the blind guy has perfect reflexes so they back up and say "sorry we didn't mean to, listen to this story YOU WON'T BELIEVE" and instead of being normal and leaving, the main characters stick around with these two highly unconvincing people who literally just tried to kill them. Great script, morons. Maybe rewrite it?

So the story ends up being the driving force behind the movie's excuse of a plot. The two women (one who ends up actually being just a man who dresses up as a woman for the entire movie and then ends up just sticking with the look at the end of the movie, whoops spoilers) talk about their backstory, where they go out in the middle of the night as kids and while they do that a gang goes out and kills everyone inside, stealing all the loot. They know there are two kids missing but they're like whatever, might as well not look for them, let's leave!

So what ends up happening is that the two people who had a sad backstory want revenge on the bosses. Through some incredibly cringy and highly unlikely coincidences and dialogue, the two end up finding out that some guy they danced for is one of the people who killed their family. So they want to go back and kill him now, even though they suck at fighting. So that's kind of the premise, and a lot of stupid shit happens in this movie. I'm so mad I have to write a 3-page paper for this pile of shit.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 02:41:55 am by Seprix »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: November 30, 2016, 01:10:52 pm »

Aside from the fact that you keep saying it's terrible nothing you described really sounded that bad and the clip makes it look interesting anyways. I haven't seen this movie, but I've always heard good things about Takeshi (the director's) work. Maybe you're being too critical?

Anywho, the reason I came on was to say that I'd seen Inherent Vice and the more I think about it, the more I like it. The plot, told through the lens of two drug-addled narrators, is difficult to follow, but it all made sense in the end. The acting was great, there were lots of amazing individual scenes and my only complaint was that it felt like it dragged on a bit too long. Maybe could've upped the pacing a bit, but then some of the plot points might have fallen apart. There's lots of fantastic cameos though in the movie and it felt like a movie that landed somewhere between The Master, Chinatown and the Big Lebowski.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3189
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: November 30, 2016, 01:19:17 pm »
+1

the clip is kind of dumb imo

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: November 30, 2016, 05:08:18 pm »

Aside from the fact that you keep saying it's terrible nothing you described really sounded that bad and the clip makes it look interesting anyways. I haven't seen this movie, but I've always heard good things about Takeshi (the director's) work. Maybe you're being too critical?

I can tell you all about the movie if you like. Or better yet, you can go watch it yourself on Amazon for only like $3.99. It starts off okay and you think it'll be an alright movie, just warning you. I wanted to like this movie. I came in hoping it would be good. Some dumb stuff happened, and I was like "okay, I like good schlock films too, I can get into this." Really, I love a good bad movie. This movie was awful, but it's ineptitude is actually pretty hilarious sometimes so if you love bad movies, this is a good one to watch.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 05:11:20 pm by Seprix »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: December 01, 2016, 06:15:10 am »

oooor you could rewatch a good movie and actually have fun!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1123 on: December 01, 2016, 02:01:29 pm »
+2

oooor you could rewatch a good movie and actually have fun!

Why would your default thing be rewatching a movie? I mean, I rewatch stuff pretty often (for instance, I've seen Madoka 29 times and I want to watch it again pretty soon), but that's because I specifically want to do so in order to better understand complex symbolism in a movie or to return to the atmosphere from the movie when I really feel like it. If I just want to have fun without any specific goal in mind, I definitely want to get exposed to something I've never seen before, and ideally something that's not very widely known so that if I like it, I can tell my friends about it, because I think it's a huge waste when lots of great art gets largely ignored just because most people never discovered it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: December 01, 2016, 03:06:16 pm »

you can also watch a new movie that you don't already suspect to be bad, sure.

rewatching has advantages of availability and guaranteed quality.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.