Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346842 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #925 on: March 16, 2016, 04:33:04 pm »

Thoughts on Dirty Dancing?

That movie used to be on HBO all the time, and I watched a lot of HBO growing up, so I got my fill of this movie.

It's not your typical '80s romance fluff. It has some interesting looks at affluent white society. Baby represents the sheltered child who learns about adulthood rather quickly by ingratiating herself in a struggling class. The abortion scene really showcases this disparity. Baby just blithely assumes that it can be fixed, while the staff members are suffering from the result of a cheap, unethical doctor.

The ending is unfortunately typical fluff. Love conquers all and all that jazz. I like how Family Guy pokes fun at this by showing a more realistic version. I don't know a father who would allow a man to talk back to him about his teenaged daughter. The movie does a pretty good job of chronicling her evolution from being naïve and innocent to confident and strong, but it fell flat with the father. It could have been a story about him evolving from stuffy and stodgy to understanding and accepting, but they pushed it too far, and he just comes off as demure.

But you know, pretty good movie actually. And it holds up well over time. The music is anachronistic, but that isn't a horrible thing.

Plus, if you learn how to do the move, it's a sure way to seal the deal when you take a girl back to your place.

Ryan Gosling/Emma Stone style.

I'm glad someone got the reference; I thought I was going to need to explain it.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: March 16, 2016, 04:34:08 pm »

All your base are belong to us.

Classic memes.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: March 16, 2016, 04:40:12 pm »

All your base are belong to us.

You're on Newgrounds too?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: March 16, 2016, 05:15:34 pm »

This page seems to indicate that "The Third Gathers" tag on the title "Backstroke of the West" is actually the original version, just a longer more ?formal? title. So the versions you are finding are probably the original.

It's not immediately obvious, but "Backstroke of the West" is .... "The Empire Strikes Back". That was the original movie that was bootlegged, dubbed into Chinese, and subtitled back into English. The person who created/found/redubbed "The Third Gathers", Star Wars Episode III, must have known about the original and appended "Backstroke of the West". Unfortunately, that film clogs all the searches for the original.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 16, 2016, 08:05:18 pm »

This page seems to indicate that "The Third Gathers" tag on the title "Backstroke of the West" is actually the original version, just a longer more ?formal? title. So the versions you are finding are probably the original.

It's not immediately obvious, but "Backstroke of the West" is .... "The Empire Strikes Back". That was the original movie that was bootlegged, dubbed into Chinese, and subtitled back into English. The person who created/found/redubbed "The Third Gathers", Star Wars Episode III, must have known about the original and appended "Backstroke of the West". Unfortunately, that film clogs all the searches for the original.

Are you sure that even exists? I've never heard of that and looking around on the internet seems to indicate that "Empire" wasn't ever called that, though I did find this, which makes me think you might be under the same assumption as InscrutableTed.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: March 16, 2016, 08:41:52 pm »

Are you sure that even exists? I've never heard of that and looking around on the internet seems to indicate that "Empire" wasn't ever called that, though I did find this, which makes me think you might be under the same assumption as InscrutableTed.

I did indeed watch the original, many years ago, long before Episode I was made let alone Episode III. I only found out that the Third Gathers existed by searching for the original a couple of weeks back. Although my memory loses details over the decades I instantly knew this one was different because it had good picture quality, dubbing back into English, I'd never seen Episode III before (in any version), and this contained a lot less swearing!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: March 16, 2016, 08:57:15 pm »

Yes, I guess I failed to mention that because I forget everyone isn't super familiar with Ghibli (they should !), but they are ostensibly very much opposites in that way (hence the "two sides of the same coin" analogy"). Fireflies is among the saddest movies ever (not an exaggeration), while Totoro is joyful and sweet.
If you are a Ghibli fan, have you seen When Marnie was There -- if so, what do you think?

I just saw Absentia. It was absolutely amazeballs, probably my favorite horror movie to date.
Gonna watch this now...

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: March 17, 2016, 12:39:20 am »

I just saw Absentia. It was absolutely amazeballs, probably my favorite horror movie to date.
Gonna watch this now...

Okay. I really appreciate the 'we just will not explain, period' thing since I read the series of unfortunate events. it's refreshing compared to conventional storytelling and I've even experimented with it myself.

And... under a lot of aspects, this is a pretty good movie.

But at the same time... for a horror movie, it's not that scary, it's honestly mostly depressing and sad. I respect it, but I dunno if I like it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #933 on: March 17, 2016, 01:27:19 am »

But at the same time... for a horror movie, it's not that scary, it's honestly mostly depressing and sad.

Well, that is pretty much true (although I think it does have some parts that are also scary to an extent), but I think it's fine for a horror movie to be just depressing and sad. Those are still negative emotions, after all.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: March 17, 2016, 04:36:17 am »

Yes, I guess I failed to mention that because I forget everyone isn't super familiar with Ghibli (they should !), but they are ostensibly very much opposites in that way (hence the "two sides of the same coin" analogy"). Fireflies is among the saddest movies ever (not an exaggeration), while Totoro is joyful and sweet.
If you are a Ghibli fan, have you seen When Marnie was There -- if so, what do you think?

I haven't seen that one.  Have you see The Tale of the Princess Kaguya?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: March 17, 2016, 05:58:18 am »

I have not. Really I've only seen half of their films because I'm waiting for a good boxset to come out so that I can buy that.

Would you recommend it ?
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: March 17, 2016, 11:05:17 am »

Zootopia is really good. I encourage people to see it. It made me laugh out loud more than once, which is more than Deadpool did.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: March 17, 2016, 11:12:29 am »

I haven't seen that one.  Have you see The Tale of the Princess Kaguya?
No, I'm a total noob when it comes to Ghibli, I've only seen this one movie. Probably going to watch more in the near future, though.

Would you recommend it ?
Again, I have no context of other Ghibli movies, but... yeah, I think so. It's difficult not to like, because it's so beautiful in terms of both art and story. It's also weird though... that's why I was interested to hear other opinions about it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #938 on: March 17, 2016, 11:15:35 am »

It's difficult not to like, because it's so beautiful in terms of both art and story. It's also weird though... that's why I was interested to hear other opinions about it.

That's pretty much what you can expect of almost every Ghibli movie.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: March 17, 2016, 01:15:49 pm »

I did indeed watch the original, many years ago, long before Episode I was made let alone Episode III. I only found out that the Third Gathers existed by searching for the original a couple of weeks back. Although my memory loses details over the decades I instantly knew this one was different because it had good picture quality, dubbing back into English, I'd never seen Episode III before (in any version), and this contained a lot less swearing!

Oh cool, well let me know if you find it! I'd never heard of that.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: March 18, 2016, 10:47:44 am »

EDIT: COMPLETELY wrong thread, oops. :(
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:01:31 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: March 18, 2016, 10:32:29 pm »

Oh cool, well let me know if you find it! I'd never heard of that.

I'm not sure I believe this, because "Backstroke of the West" has always made sense to me based on my understanding of Chinese. If you translate "Sith" phonetically, the closest character is "xi", which means "west" when translated back. See http://dictionary.hantrainerpro.com/chinese-english/translation-xi_west.htm So, a bad translation turns "revenge" into something into "Backstroke", and "sith" into 西 into "west".

Similarly, "Anakin" turns into "Allah Gold". "Ana" is phonetically close to "Allah", and "kin" is close to "jin", a Chinese surname that also means gold. (See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin_%28Chinese_surname%29).

I'm pretty sure "Backstroke of the West" has always been Episode III, but the re-dub is definitely new. The version I watched was original English with bad subtitles, not redubbed with the bad subtitles.

Edit: also yes Zootopia is really, really good.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 10:39:17 pm by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: March 25, 2016, 12:37:45 pm »

Sitting in the theater waiting for Batman v superman to start. A little skeptical, but we will see.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: March 25, 2016, 01:04:58 pm »

I have a new quest. Through playlists on YouTube, I have stumbled across a song from Phantom of the Paradise. I looked it up to learn more. It's a 1974 opera that draws heavily from Phantom of the Opera and the Portrait of Dorian Grey. And it looks like it has all the pageantry of the '70s.

It tanked in the theaters, and I'm sure it's not a good movie, but I am curious about it now.
A man has no signature

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: March 25, 2016, 01:05:03 pm »

Sitting in the theater waiting for Batman v superman to start. A little skeptical, but we will see.

Spoiler:             The movie sucks.         

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: March 25, 2016, 03:44:05 pm »
+2

Spoiler:             The movie sucks.         

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 25, 2016, 05:18:53 pm »

Just saw Batman V Superman DoJ today. It's alright. Wouldn't go too far out of your way to see it. It feels very contrived.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 25, 2016, 05:41:15 pm »

Just saw Batman V Superman DoJ today. It's alright. Wouldn't go too far out of your way to see it. It feels very contrived.

yeah.  I mean, I wasn't going in with big expectations.  It was just about what I expected.  I am not a very refined movie-goer (and I don't know the comic books so nothing to be disappointed by from that angle) so I was able to sit back and enjoy the movie.  What can I say, I enjoy the whole marvel/x-men/and now DC movies and TV shows. 
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: March 26, 2016, 07:09:05 am »
+2

I just saw the trailer of "Sausage Party", and man, do i dislike it. It's a movie with the premise "What if our food was alive?" by people who apparently became so detached from real life they forgot that it's not a premise at all, as most of our food, in fact, is alive. "Oh, no, food is going to find out the disturbing truth that they will get eaten!" Let's not even bother about the disturbing truth that sausages are animal corpses grinded up and shoved into their own organs. It's something that kind of bothered me in "Cloudy with a chance of meatballs", but that was just fun for kids and didn't try to make a statement. Suasage Party thinks it's clever for its dark twist, when it clearly fails to recognize the actual darkness one can see in food. "You will die and be made food, cow. But, oh no, your humanized corpse parts will find out something bening that we sell as horrible!" Yuk. Not even a vegitarian, i just find it painfully dumb and ignorant.
/rage
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 10:09:21 am by Asper »

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 26, 2016, 08:45:07 am »

I mean, it's Seth Rogen, what did you expect?
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.