Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346970 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #900 on: March 03, 2016, 05:56:28 pm »
+1

Please, tell me more about why Jar Jar is actually a Sith Lord. Creating a theory that fits given facts is an easy task. I could make up an alternate interpretation ifor any given movie in half an hour. It requires only the tiniest bit of creativity. All you have to do is find reasons why your interpretation doesn't contradict things that happen. Hey, part of the movie is just a dream. Uh, how you see that? Um, uh, because character/symbol/place X does(n't ) appear in the section, and because person/culture Y regarded X as a symbol for Z, its absence/presence implies it's not reality. Person W who worked on the movie was a fan of Y, so it's likely they did it on purpose.

I could make up a story about how Spirited Away is actually about the Witch dying (getting "spirited away"), and Chihiro is actually Death, and No-face is whatever other entity i can fit in, and the name stuff represents severing ties with the living (Chihiro remembers hers because she's not living), or it represents Alzheimer's, and the bathing represents washing sins away, and the creatures represent slowly going to heaven, or a delirium, and the other witch represents the other self she has to accept, and she herself actually stands for a relative/friend/pen pal of producer/director/artist Whatshisname, who died during the production of the movie. He/she had to hide the hints carefully, which is why it's denied by the studio today, yadda yadda.... I'm making this up on the spot, and it's garbage. Whenever someone tells me why it's wrong, i can change it a bit, until noone finds anything anymore. That's when we arrive at "It's about the Sayama incident." It's not about the Sayama incident.

That's a straw man argument. There is nothing about the canon of Spirited Away that hints towards it being about the Sayama incident (actually, it's about prostitution). There are several connections to the Sayama incident in the canon of My Neighbor Totoro.

Besides, why do you keep caring about what the studio does or doesn't deny? It doesn't matter unless they include that statement as a part of the actual movie.

How is it a straw man argument?

Because your argument consists of showing how Spirited Away is not about the Sayama incident, and I never said that it was.

My argument consists of showing how trivial it is to make up a "plausible" conspiracy theory about a movie even if it holds no water at all. Claiming i did something else is, however, a strawman argument.
Edit: I can see now why you thougt my post was meant that way. I mean, i'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here, which i probably shouldn't do, but in case you actually read something different than what i meant out of it, no, that wasn't what my post was about. I was just making up nonsensical claims about another movie to show how easy it is to do stuff like that. The fact that there's an alternate interpretation that fits a few elements of a story means nothing. I can make up such a story any time, for any movie, and each time someone points out a mistake, i change a little detail, until arriving at a rather compelling, but still arbitrary and useless "truth behind the story". Claiming the Sayama incident is reflected in Totoro is such a bit, and it has no credibility only because someone found a few details that appear to match. Give me a little time and a blog and i can make people believe Spirited Away is about the Witches death, as you apparently were made to believe Totoro was about the Sayama incident.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 06:07:22 pm by Asper »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #901 on: March 03, 2016, 06:51:02 pm »

My argument consists of showing how trivial it is to make up a "plausible" conspiracy theory about a movie even if it holds no water at all. Claiming i did something else is, however, a strawman argument.
Edit: I can see now why you thougt my post was meant that way. I mean, i'm giving you the benefit of the doubt here, which i probably shouldn't do, but in case you actually read something different than what i meant out of it, no, that wasn't what my post was about. I was just making up nonsensical claims about another movie to show how easy it is to do stuff like that. The fact that there's an alternate interpretation that fits a few elements of a story means nothing. I can make up such a story any time, for any movie, and each time someone points out a mistake, i change a little detail, until arriving at a rather compelling, but still arbitrary and useless "truth behind the story". Claiming the Sayama incident is reflected in Totoro is such a bit, and it has no credibility only because someone found a few details that appear to match. Give me a little time and a blog and i can make people believe Spirited Away is about the Witches death, as you apparently were made to believe Totoro was about the Sayama incident.

It's irrelevant to show how trivial it is to make up a "plausible" conspiracy theory about a movie even if it holds no water at all. That's like having the premise that it's trivial to make a bad electro house song (which is demonstrably true) and, based on that alone, concluding that Animals must be a bad song. In other words, it doesn't make any sense at all.

You can't make people believe anything about a piece of art. There is nothing to believe, because it's not something that might or might not be objectively true. Your own personal experience and viewpoint changes what the piece of art means to you, and to someone else, it means something different. You could probably make some people decide that Spirited Away is about the Witches death though, and then, for those people, it would be.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 04, 2016, 05:46:52 am »
+1

It's irrelevant to show how trivial it is to make up a "plausible" conspiracy theory about a movie even if it holds no water at all. That's like having the premise that it's trivial to make a bad electro house song (which is demonstrably true) and, based on that alone, concluding that Animals must be a bad song. In other words, it doesn't make any sense at all.

You can't make people believe anything about a piece of art. There is nothing to believe, because it's not something that might or might not be objectively true. Your own personal experience and viewpoint changes what the piece of art means to you, and to someone else, it means something different. You could probably make some people decide that Spirited Away is about the Witches death though, and then, for those people, it would be.

It's you who makes no sense, and deliberately, as usual. If you go around telling people that learning about the Sayama incident would "blow their mind" if they watched Totoro before, you're implying the Sayama incident has some significance or connection to the movie. It doesn't. Your headcanon is not a measure for the outside world or other people, no matter how clever you think it is. It certainly won't blow someone's mind. Some people might come to the conclusion it makes sense, but the expression you used states a big reveal, a truth that will change everything. Just your story is neither a truth, nor a reveal, nor is it changing anything. It's just headcanon. It's not like you said "A popular theory is that..." or "The movie has some similarities with...". You said "It's about the Sayama incident." and "It'll blow her mind". You are selling your arbitrary opinion as an objective truth. As usual.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #903 on: March 04, 2016, 06:01:23 am »

It's you who makes no sense, and deliberately, as usual. If you go around telling people that learning about the Sayama incident would "blow their mind" if they watched Totoro before, you're implying the Sayama incident has some significance or connection to the movie. It doesn't. Your headcanon is not a measure for the outside world or other people, no matter how clever you think it is. It certainly won't blow someone's mind. Some people might come to the conclusion it makes sense, but the expression you used states a big reveal, a truth that will change everything. Just your story is neither a truth, nor a reveal, nor is it changing anything. It's just headcanon. It's not like you said "A popular theory is that..." or "The movie has some similarities with...". You said "It's about the Sayama incident." and "It'll blow her mind". You are selling your arbitrary opinion as an objective truth. As usual.

It is the objective truth that it's about the Sayama incident [for some people]. I think it should be pretty clear that I didn't mean that knowing about the Sayama incident will literally make her head explode.

I really don't know why you're so butthurt about this. It's just a movie, and not even one of the greatest movies ever made or anything.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: March 04, 2016, 08:01:37 am »
+3

It is the objective truth that it's about the Sayama incident [for some people]. I think it should be pretty clear that I didn't mean that knowing about the Sayama incident will literally make her head explode.

I really don't know why you're so butthurt about this. It's just a movie, and not even one of the greatest movies ever made or anything.

It's not about Totoro. Every third thread on this forum has a post of you stating some opinion of yours as if it was objective truth, often at the expense and ridicule of people who try to have an actual discussion. Your opinions are opinions, and you are not clever for claiming they were facts. You are also not clever for deliberately misunderstanding the meaning of "objectively" and "blow s.o.'s mind" for the sake of convincing yourself that you were right after all.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #905 on: March 04, 2016, 08:04:58 am »

It's not about Totoro. Every third thread on this forum has a post of you stating some opinion of yours as if it was objective truth, often at the expense and ridicule of people who try to have an actual discussion. Your opinions are opinions, and you are not clever for claiming they were facts. You are also not clever for deliberately misunderstanding the meaning of "objectively" and "blow s.o.'s mind" for the sake of convincing yourself that you were right after all.

That's just you stating your subjective opinion as if it was objective truth.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 04, 2016, 08:10:57 am »
+2

Asper, These two quotes help me in times like this.

So, you are verifying once and for all what an incredible waste of time it is for anyone to try to argue about this with you.

and oh fuck it why do I even bother talking this is just going to get a pointless response to lead to more pointlessness.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: March 04, 2016, 09:18:15 am »
+1

Branching off, there is such a thing as 'correct' vs. 'incorrect' interpretations of a piece of art, in the sense of 'validly supported' or 'invalidly supported'.  I remember one of my literature teachers in college was telling us about someone's interpretation of Great Gatsby's 'obviously masturbatory ending'.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: March 05, 2016, 03:29:16 am »

I just read the Wikipedia article on the Sayama incident.  I've probably seen Totoro a hundred times and the only "connection" I can find is the setting of a rural area.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #909 on: March 10, 2016, 04:16:02 am »

I just watched Livid. It was a very good looking film and it did have some legitimately scary moments during the first half, but unfortunately, the writing was completely awful. This excerpt from the Wikipedia article pretty much summarizes the entire film: "[character] finds himself in an operating room with no door and no idea how he got there. He is killed by veiled ballerinas who appear out of nowhere". Stuff just happens out of nowhere and you never have any idea how or why anything happens. And then it kind of just tries to hide that by appearing as though it was one of those more experimental movies that are super ambiguous on purpose (which, as a reminder, I am a massive fan of), but really, Livid was more like arbitrary than ambiguous. I was literally just laughing for the majority of the latter half of the film, even (and especially, considering how ridiculous some of those scenes were) when major characters were getting brutally killed, and that was not exactly the kind of mood I was hoping for when I chose to watch a horror movie.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #910 on: March 15, 2016, 11:22:32 am »

I was just completely blown away by Exhibit A. Be it known that I'm a huge fan of films with imaginative visuals, incredible "only in fiction" plot developments and a good amount of ambiguity and room for different interpretations, and Exhibit A, being a found footage family drama film, is exactly the kind of movie that I'm not so inclined to be a huge fan of. Despite this, I super loved it.

I would recommend it to everyone even if you're (like me) not a fan of the genre and style because it's just so good, but not without a word of caution: it is unbelievably disturbing and painful to watch at times.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: March 15, 2016, 06:26:30 pm »

Thoughts on Dirty Dancing?

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: March 15, 2016, 06:41:59 pm »

Nobody puts baby in the corner? Forrrr some reason?

Honestly it's one of those weird movies that I've seen all of, but never in one sitting. It constantly seems to be on TV, I would be over at people's houses when they were watching it, but I would leave and do something else part way through it or they'd have already started it when I got there or turn it off part way through. I can see the appeal I guess, but it's not for me?

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: March 15, 2016, 07:26:11 pm »

I watched The Birds by Alfred Hitchcock today. This will sound completely loony, but I think of it like a well made Michael Bay film. There's not much of a story, not much of a resolution. Just pure suspense, thrills, and action. There's even a Michael Bay explosion at one point. I laughed my head off when that happened. This movie did not age well at all, but I still liked it.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: March 15, 2016, 07:37:00 pm »

I liked it. But I tend to like "chick flicks" as fluffy content plus I felt that this one went a bit deeper into social morales than most do.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: March 15, 2016, 08:33:11 pm »

Here is a real movie buff question. Has anyone got a link to the original "Backstroke of the West", not the more recent "Backstroke of the West: The Third Gathers"? Search engines are full of results for the latter so I can't track down the original.

For those who don't know, "Backstroke of the West" was a very famous US film, illegally dubbed into a Chinese version for Chinese cinema, and then given English subtitles (and the new name) based on the Chinese. See if you can guess the original name.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: March 15, 2016, 10:46:05 pm »
+3

Not sure I like you that way.  Thanks though.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: March 16, 2016, 07:52:34 am »

Here is a real movie buff question. Has anyone got a link to the original "Backstroke of the West", not the more recent "Backstroke of the West: The Third Gathers"? Search engines are full of results for the latter so I can't track down the original.

For those who don't know, "Backstroke of the West" was a very famous US film, illegally dubbed into a Chinese version for Chinese cinema, and then given English subtitles (and the new name) based on the Chinese. See if you can guess the original name.

You mean George Lucas's ill-fated 6th directed disaster?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 07:55:48 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: March 16, 2016, 08:56:59 am »

That movie used to be on HBO all the time, and I watched a lot of HBO growing up, so I got my fill of this movie.

It's not your typical '80s romance fluff. It has some interesting looks at affluent white society. Baby represents the sheltered child who learns about adulthood rather quickly by ingratiating herself in a struggling class. The abortion scene really showcases this disparity. Baby just blithely assumes that it can be fixed, while the staff members are suffering from the result of a cheap, unethical doctor.

The ending is unfortunately typical fluff. Love conquers all and all that jazz. I like how Family Guy pokes fun at this by showing a more realistic version. I don't know a father who would allow a man to talk back to him about his teenaged daughter. The movie does a pretty good job of chronicling her evolution from being naïve and innocent to confident and strong, but it fell flat with the father. It could have been a story about him evolving from stuffy and stodgy to understanding and accepting, but they pushed it too far, and he just comes off as demure.

But you know, pretty good movie actually. And it holds up well over time. The music is anachronistic, but that isn't a horrible thing.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: March 16, 2016, 09:07:57 am »

That movie used to be on HBO all the time, and I watched a lot of HBO growing up, so I got my fill of this movie.

It's not your typical '80s romance fluff. It has some interesting looks at affluent white society. Baby represents the sheltered child who learns about adulthood rather quickly by ingratiating herself in a struggling class. The abortion scene really showcases this disparity. Baby just blithely assumes that it can be fixed, while the staff members are suffering from the result of a cheap, unethical doctor.

The ending is unfortunately typical fluff. Love conquers all and all that jazz. I like how Family Guy pokes fun at this by showing a more realistic version. I don't know a father who would allow a man to talk back to him about his teenaged daughter. The movie does a pretty good job of chronicling her evolution from being naïve and innocent to confident and strong, but it fell flat with the father. It could have been a story about him evolving from stuffy and stodgy to understanding and accepting, but they pushed it too far, and he just comes off as demure.

But you know, pretty good movie actually. And it holds up well over time. The music is anachronistic, but that isn't a horrible thing.

Plus, if you learn how to do the move, it's a sure way to seal the deal when you take a girl back to your place.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #920 on: March 16, 2016, 09:13:00 am »

Has anyone here seen Jisatsu Circle? I saw it today and it was a bit of a mindfuck, I will probably have to watch it a few more times in the future, but in the meantime, I thought I'd ask for others' opinions regarding it.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: March 16, 2016, 03:58:37 pm »

I believe you are referring to "Revenge of the Sith". I saw clips from it once and it was spectacular. The scene where Vader pops out of his shackles and shouts "Do not want" is unrivaled in my memory as an accidental joke.

I didn't save any of the content when I originally saw it though (probably about 10 years ago now). I didn't know there was a new version, but no I don't know how to find the original. Good luck!

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: March 16, 2016, 04:30:49 pm »

This page seems to indicate that "The Third Gathers" tag on the title "Backstroke of the West" is actually the original version, just a longer more ?formal? title. So the versions you are finding are probably the original.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: March 16, 2016, 04:32:04 pm »

All your base are belong to us.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: March 16, 2016, 04:32:15 pm »
+1

Plus, if you learn how to do the move, it's a sure way to seal the deal when you take a girl back to your place.

Ryan Gosling/Emma Stone style.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.