Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346880 times)

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #875 on: February 25, 2016, 08:29:29 pm »

What annoys me with The Big Short is reading reviews of people saying they still don't get exactly what the financial crisis was all about.

First of all, it's really problematic that anyone didn't know already. I mean, we've been over this. In 2008/2009, the press was full of explainers about it.

More importantly though : the basics of it aren't THAT hard to grasp, and the film freaking explains everything not once, not twice, but three times ! I thought McKay was completely overdoing it, but it appears I underestimated people's willingness to pay attention to something they don't have an natural interest in for over five seconds.

Also Christian Bale s pretty awful and the camerawork is all over the place. I like the film fine overall, but it's my least favorite of the ones I've seen so far.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 25, 2016, 09:05:36 pm »

Also Christian Bale s pretty awful and the camerawork is all over the place. I like the film fine overall, but it's my least favorite of the ones I've seen so far.

I agree that Bale wasn't good.

But man, I just don't get it. Ok, maybe it has to do with the fact that I don't live in USA, use 100% cash only and have almost never even been in a bank. I don't really know what a bond is. And yes, they did too much of the explaining, yet, I still dont get it completely. It's just completely nowhere near my alley.

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 25, 2016, 10:15:58 pm »
+1

EDIT: In other news, looks like someone else has pretty accurately described how I feel about Disney's The Little Mermaid (for the record, the original story is my favorite fairy tale).

On a whim I bought Ponyo, a Hayao Miyazaki film based on the Little Mermaid tale, for my daughter and she and I completely loved it. Completely and totally bizarre and wonderful. It doesn't completely follow the fairy tale either, but I think is much better than the Disney version (although technically I think Ponyo was distributed by Disney).

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 25, 2016, 11:18:46 pm »

It doesn't completely follow the fairy tale

I love Ponyo but this is something of an understatement.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: February 26, 2016, 12:01:19 am »

I think Ponyo was pretty underwhelming, as Miyazaki movies go. I have no desire to own it at this time.

I hope Porco Rosso will someday be sold for a reasonable price, but it's not looking promising.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 26, 2016, 07:35:37 am »

I think Ponyo was pretty underwhelming, as Miyazaki movies go. I have no desire to own it at this time.

Truth be told this was the first Miyazaki movie I had seen and still the only one I have seen. I should probably remedy that at some point as I know many love his movies... Maybe the next time I see one in the $5 bin.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 26, 2016, 03:14:32 pm »

Truth be told this was the first Miyazaki movie I had seen and still the only one I have seen. I should probably remedy that at some point as I know many love his movies... Maybe the next time I see one in the $5 bin.

Princess Mononoke is my absolute favorite, but buy My Neighbor Totoro today and watch it a million times with your daughter.  She'll relate to Mei now, then Satsuki when she's older.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #882 on: February 26, 2016, 03:18:13 pm »

Princess Mononoke is my absolute favorite, but buy My Neighbor Totoro today and watch it a million times with your daughter.  She'll relate to Mei now, then Satsuki when she's older.

And when she's old enough to go on the Internet, she'll find out about the Sayama incident and it will blow her mind.

Princess Mononoke is super good though.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: February 26, 2016, 03:54:26 pm »

I can see the death theory about Totoro (though I don't see the connection to the grisly Sayama Incident, this was the first I'd heard about the two connecting).

The death theory being that both girls die at some point in the movie and Totoro is actually some sort of death god, and that the Cat Bus takes their ghosts to the afterlife/heaven.

Studio Ghibli has apparently debunked the death theory so I doubt the Sayama Incident theory holds more water.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #884 on: February 26, 2016, 04:13:53 pm »

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #885 on: March 02, 2016, 09:39:54 am »

I watched The Tunnel yesterday. It wasn't as substantial as some of the other horror movies I've liked a lot recently, but it was certainly one of the scariest, and not in a particularly cheap way either.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: March 02, 2016, 10:25:48 am »

And when she's old enough to go on the Internet, she'll find out about the Sayama incident and it will blow her mind.

Princess Mononoke is super good though.

I bet there's not a single country on earth where no child was murdered in the last five years. If i make a movie where a child gets lost, is it automatically about the most recent incident in my country?

Actual murder-in-Japan-influences-pop-culture-story: The japanese edition of the video game Crash Bandicoot 2 lacks a death animation where, when the titular character is crushed by a pillar, he gets reduced to his head and shoes. It was removed for the japanese release, as, at that time, Japan had a serial killer who used to leave his victim's heads behind next to their shoes.

The difference between those stories: One's confirmed and makes sense, the other's denied and thrives only of a similarity which is remarkably likely to happen randomly.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #887 on: March 02, 2016, 11:31:26 am »

One's confirmed
the other's denied

Death of the author, especially when it's about the studio's mascot character representing a god of death.

thrives only of a similarity which is remarkably likely to happen randomly

The two sisters are named May and May, respectively. The Shichikokuyama location in the movie is based on Hachikokuyama, which actually exists and is one of the Sayama Hills. I shouldn't even have to state that the movie is also full of what is pretty undeniably death related symbolism (aside from the missing shadows which could have been missing for animation reasons), and from that point of view, it makes perfect sense in the context of the Sayama incident. Sure, it wouldn't be unreasonably likely to happen randomly, but the movie wasn't generated randomly, it was created by people who made these decisions consciously.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: March 02, 2016, 12:25:22 pm »

There's no right way to read a movie (or any piece of art), regardless of what the author intended. It's an interesting theory, and it sounds like it works on paper, but I don't see it at all when I watch it.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: March 02, 2016, 02:51:00 pm »

One's confirmed
the other's denied

Death of the author, especially when it's about the studio's mascot character representing a god of death.

thrives only of a similarity which is remarkably likely to happen randomly

The two sisters are named May and May, respectively. The Shichikokuyama location in the movie is based on Hachikokuyama, which actually exists and is one of the Sayama Hills. I shouldn't even have to state that the movie is also full of what is pretty undeniably death related symbolism (aside from the missing shadows which could have been missing for animation reasons), and from that point of view, it makes perfect sense in the context of the Sayama incident. Sure, it wouldn't be unreasonably likely to happen randomly, but the movie wasn't generated randomly, it was created by people who made these decisions consciously.

Please, tell me more about why Jar Jar is actually a Sith Lord. Creating a theory that fits given facts is an easy task. I could make up an alternate interpretation ifor any given movie in half an hour. It requires only the tiniest bit of creativity. All you have to do is find reasons why your interpretation doesn't contradict things that happen. Hey, part of the movie is just a dream. Uh, how you see that? Um, uh, because character/symbol/place X does(n't ) appear in the section, and because person/culture Y regarded X as a symbol for Z, its absence/presence implies it's not reality. Person W who worked on the movie was a fan of Y, so it's likely they did it on purpose.

I could make up a story about how Spirited Away is actually about the Witch dying (getting "spirited away"), and Chihiro is actually Death, and No-face is whatever other entity i can fit in, and the name stuff represents severing ties with the living (Chihiro remembers hers because she's not living), or it represents Alzheimer's, and the bathing represents washing sins away, and the creatures represent slowly going to heaven, or a delirium, and the other witch represents the other self she has to accept, and she herself actually stands for a relative/friend/pen pal of producer/director/artist Whatshisname, who died during the production of the movie. He/she had to hide the hints carefully, which is why it's denied by the studio today, yadda yadda.... I'm making this up on the spot, and it's garbage. Whenever someone tells me why it's wrong, i can change it a bit, until noone finds anything anymore. That's when we arrive at "It's about the Sayama incident." It's not about the Sayama incident.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #890 on: March 02, 2016, 03:22:41 pm »

Please, tell me more about why Jar Jar is actually a Sith Lord. Creating a theory that fits given facts is an easy task. I could make up an alternate interpretation ifor any given movie in half an hour. It requires only the tiniest bit of creativity. All you have to do is find reasons why your interpretation doesn't contradict things that happen. Hey, part of the movie is just a dream. Uh, how you see that? Um, uh, because character/symbol/place X does(n't ) appear in the section, and because person/culture Y regarded X as a symbol for Z, its absence/presence implies it's not reality. Person W who worked on the movie was a fan of Y, so it's likely they did it on purpose.

I could make up a story about how Spirited Away is actually about the Witch dying (getting "spirited away"), and Chihiro is actually Death, and No-face is whatever other entity i can fit in, and the name stuff represents severing ties with the living (Chihiro remembers hers because she's not living), or it represents Alzheimer's, and the bathing represents washing sins away, and the creatures represent slowly going to heaven, or a delirium, and the other witch represents the other self she has to accept, and she herself actually stands for a relative/friend/pen pal of producer/director/artist Whatshisname, who died during the production of the movie. He/she had to hide the hints carefully, which is why it's denied by the studio today, yadda yadda.... I'm making this up on the spot, and it's garbage. Whenever someone tells me why it's wrong, i can change it a bit, until noone finds anything anymore. That's when we arrive at "It's about the Sayama incident." It's not about the Sayama incident.

That's a straw man argument. There is nothing about the canon of Spirited Away that hints towards it being about the Sayama incident (actually, it's about prostitution). There are several connections to the Sayama incident in the canon of My Neighbor Totoro.

Besides, why do you keep caring about what the studio does or doesn't deny? It doesn't matter unless they include that statement as a part of the actual movie.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: March 03, 2016, 09:54:15 am »
+1

That's a straw man argument. There is nothing about the canon of Spirited Away that hints towards it being about the Sayama incident (actually, it's about prostitution). There are several connections to the Sayama incident in the canon of My Neighbor Totoro.

Besides, why do you keep caring about what the studio does or doesn't deny? It doesn't matter unless they include that statement as a part of the actual movie.

How is it a straw man argument?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #892 on: March 03, 2016, 10:09:47 am »

How is it a straw man argument?

Because your argument consists of showing how Spirited Away is not about the Sayama incident, and I never said that it was.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: March 03, 2016, 01:08:47 pm »

Man. You guys are really making me want to watch My Neighbor Toroto. I mean... this is like what I look for in a movie...

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: March 03, 2016, 01:24:16 pm »

Man. You guys are really making me want to watch My Neighbor Toroto. I mean... this is like what I look for in a movie...

Watch it; it is enjoyable. 

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: March 03, 2016, 01:27:28 pm »

The whole "they were dead all the time" thing ?

You might be disappointed then. You might see it if you're looking for it, but otherwise it's as light as it gets. It's also great, like really great and my favorite Miyazaki, but going into it with expectations of watching a movie about death might not work out so well. If you've seen Grave of the Fireflies, Totoro is basically the reverse side of that coin.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 03, 2016, 02:44:35 pm »

The whole "they were dead all the time" thing ?

You might be disappointed then. You might see it if you're looking for it, but otherwise it's as light as it gets. It's also great, like really great and my favorite Miyazaki, but going into it with expectations of watching a movie about death might not work out so well. If you've seen Grave of the Fireflies, Totoro is basically the reverse side of that coin.

Yeah, despite Awaclus's assertions, I really don't think the ties to death that can be read into it really matter as it doesn't seem to be trying to be a movie about death (or at least not in that regard). It's fun, and it's about children dealing with difficult issues (like moving and parental illness). I've always thought of it as a movie that tries to explain how children are effected by difficult transitions in life and it's also just beautiful and has some amazing moments of imagination.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: March 03, 2016, 02:59:32 pm »
+1

I would go broader and say it's about childhood. In a sense, My Neighbour Totoro is about childhood in peaceful times (with some menace and incertainty looming, but mostly focused on the wonders of childhood), while Grave of the Fireflies is about childhood in war times (with some of that same sense of wonder intact and present amidst the tragedy). That Ghibli released those two films in the same year is amazing to me, and I'd recommend to anyone who liked one to see the other.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 03, 2016, 03:48:09 pm »

I would go broader and say it's about childhood. In a sense, My Neighbour Totoro is about childhood in peaceful times (with some menace and incertainty looming, but mostly focused on the wonders of childhood), while Grave of the Fireflies is about childhood in war times (with some of that same sense of wonder intact and present amidst the tragedy). That Ghibli released those two films in the same year is amazing to me, and I'd recommend to anyone who liked one to see the other.

I had never considered the two movies as a pair like that, but you're right! Further on that Totoro feels fun and uplifting, wheres Fireflies feels depressing and tragic.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 03, 2016, 05:21:16 pm »

Yes, I guess I failed to mention that because I forget everyone isn't super familiar with Ghibli (they should !), but they are ostensibly very much opposites in that way (hence the "two sides of the same coin" analogy"). Fireflies is among the saddest movies ever (not an exaggeration), while Totoro is joyful and sweet.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.