Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 348386 times)

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #850 on: February 20, 2016, 08:03:28 pm »

I don't think it's better to watch the trilogy, Fistful and Few More are not nearly as good.

Good, Bad, Ugly is incredible. I watched it pretty much expecting I won't like it actually, but it was amazing. Cinematography/Photography is incredible. Score I don't think needs word, Ecstasy of Gold is probably the most memorable piece in cinema history. Story ain't really that important as it is mostly character driver, you got these three no-gooders at each other necks, and all 3 of the are so hard-boiled, and it's the gist of it. Eastwood and Wallach kill it. It both defies the genre (at least what was seen as quintessential western at times, John Ford / John Wayne Noble Loner Hero style) and defines it at the same time, as later it became the quintessential western. There's no moral highground, it's just Wild West all the way. I seriously don't know how somebody can NOT like it.

Earlier this week I saw Deadpool (which disappointed at first, but got back on track, was pretty much as I expected it), and saw Carnage tonight, which was cool but it is very obvious at being an adapted play and as such has some problems with the big screen format.

Actually trying to get to 100 this year, January was fine (10), February not so (only 2 so far).. need to catch up! :D

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: February 20, 2016, 08:10:04 pm »

I actually prefered "a fistfull of dollars" to "the Good, the Bad and the Ugly". I thought that the whole part with the Civil War armies didn't really add much to the story.

Then again, in this world there are two kinds of people my friend.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: February 20, 2016, 08:14:30 pm »

I actually prefered "a fistfull of dollars" to "the Good, the Bad and the Ugly". I thought that the whole part with the Civil War armies didn't really add much to the story.

Then again, in this world there are two kinds of people my friend.

I agree Civil War armies (the battle about that bridge) was odd and the worst part of the movie. The dusty uniforms, but, tho, was GOLD.

Fistful is good (even tho a ripoff :P) but doesn't match GBU, Few More I didn't really like that much.

Anybody saw Korean "The Good, The Bad, and the weird"? It's pretty DAMN awesome.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 08:16:06 pm by Grujah »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: February 20, 2016, 08:19:47 pm »

The problem is that all three of the characters are malicious criminals. I don't sympathize with any of them, so I don't care about any of them, so there is zero tension. I don't really care about Action, the movie wasn't funny, and music alone is hardly enough, so there aren't a lot of things left that make it worth watching.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: February 20, 2016, 08:30:19 pm »

You don't need to sympathize with them. You bath in badassery :D

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: February 20, 2016, 08:31:48 pm »

@silverspawn did you see new Mad Max? Did you like it?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: February 20, 2016, 08:48:05 pm »

You don't need to sympathize with them. You bath in badassery :D

But that doesn't substitute liking any of them. At least not for me. If it does for normal people, then I guess that explains why the movie is so popular.

@silverspawn did you see new Mad Max?
No - should I watch it?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: February 21, 2016, 12:44:49 am »

I think the new mad max is very worth watching.

I saw the little Prince last night. It was... underwhelming. I wanted more stop motion, but they did so much in generic 3D that it kind of lost that personal touch that a couple of the sections in the movie had. Worth seeing if you've seen all the other movies you wanted to see.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: February 21, 2016, 06:46:39 am »

@silverspawn did you see new Mad Max?
No - should I watch it?

It's another movie where I think you should focus on cinematography, visuals/sound and (and in Max's case) world building and forget all the rest (like the non-existant story). Just curious what you think of it, but if you didn't see it, nevermind :D

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: February 22, 2016, 08:00:02 am »
+1

I presume you're talking about Mad Max: Fury Road. If you mean the original, then I'll change my statement. Fury Road is remarkably lacking in story. The story could easily be spooned into a half-hour show with room for another story arc. But it was a phenomenally done movie. It draws you in in a manner that makes you forget that there's not that much of a story. I normally poo-poo action movies for sacrificing story for visuals, but Fury Road is one of the few exceptions.

I've seen other people dislike movies because of unlikable characters. I can see that viewpoint. Sometimes you just want to find a character to relate to and feel a connection with. The recent Hateful Eight has some pretty despicable characters. Even Samuel L. eat-some-motherfucking-scenery Jackson's character was deplorable, and you kind of hate yourself for finding yourself liking him. I'm generally okay with a movie with all amoral characters (see Snatch), but even sometimes I might not be in such a mood and will shrug off a movie because I just didn't care for any of the characters. I'm trying to think of a recent example, but I'm failing to grasp at one.
A man has no signature

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: February 22, 2016, 08:36:27 am »

I presume you're talking about Mad Max: Fury Road. If you mean the original, then I'll change my statement. Fury Road is remarkably lacking in story. The story could easily be spooned into a half-hour show with room for another story arc. But it was a phenomenally done movie. It draws you in in a manner that makes you forget that there's not that much of a story. I normally poo-poo action movies for sacrificing story for visuals, but Fury Road is one of the few exceptions.

Yeah, Fury Road was in queston, and I agree with pretty much all you said.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: February 22, 2016, 05:50:33 pm »

I just finished watching the 5 original Planet of the Apes movies.
The first one was great, I enjoyed it a lot.
But the second one I nearly stopped watching. The telepathic bomb-worshipping humans were just ridiculous. We were lauging so hard.
#3-#5 had also some flaws, but weren't as bad as #2.

Now to watch the Tim Burton one and the two new ones.

I did that same thing last year; just recently finally got to Dawn. Yeah, agree with you on part 2, although I thought the very ending was awesomely epic. How many movies just end with "yeah, the whole world just blew up and earth is now gone"?

I think Rise was my favorite out of all 8.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 05:51:35 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: February 22, 2016, 06:29:09 pm »
+2

I now watched all 8. I think Dawn and the original one I liked best with Rise close behind. I was interesting to watch all of them in a short period of time, I don't regret it.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: February 22, 2016, 07:40:35 pm »
+1

I just rewatched "Who framed Roger Rabbit" after having it seen the last time when i was about twelve. The movie has a lot of things i wouldn't expect to see in a disney production today, like obvious sex-references and cigar-smoking babies. Which is to say, wow, i always thought this one was Warner Bros with Disney characters appearing, while it apparently is the other way around. A classic.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: February 22, 2016, 10:21:42 pm »

I just rewatched "Who framed Roger Rabbit" after having it seen the last time when i was about twelve. The movie has a lot of things i wouldn't expect to see in a disney production today, like obvious sex-references and cigar-smoking babies. Which is to say, wow, i always thought this one was Warner Bros with Disney characters appearing, while it apparently is the other way around. A classic.

One of the best movies ever

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12867
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #865 on: February 22, 2016, 10:26:08 pm »

I just saw Absentia. It was absolutely amazeballs, probably my favorite horror movie to date. It reminds me very much of Frictional's survival horror games, especially Penumbra, in more than one sense (incredible production values with a relatively small budget, horror based on the fear of unknown rather than what is explicitly shown, not excessively relying on gore, and an intriguing plot that leaves a lot of ambiguity and room for wildly different interpretations), and it also pulled all of that off really well in my opinion.

EDIT: In other news, looks like someone else has pretty accurately described how I feel about Disney's The Little Mermaid (for the record, the original story is my favorite fairy tale).

« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 03:05:24 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: February 24, 2016, 08:56:22 pm »

The Oscars are awarded this weekend! Independant on what you think of the awards ( I don't think they have much merit but I still like watching them), what do you think of the nominees and who should win in your opinion?

Best picture is difficult to decide for me, I don't have a clear favourite. I haven't seen the Revenant yet but I will do so soon. I'm probably not going to bother with Bridge of Spies, so far I haven't heard anything about the movie that justifies a Best Picture nomination. I'll be disappointed if either Mad Max or Martian win because of their lack of...substance? I don't know how to describe it, I found them very bland which is not what I'm looking for in a movie. Mad Max is atleast moderately nice to look at. I quite liked Brooklyn, it's the first "crowdpleaser" in a while that I genuinely liked. It's mainly because of Saorsie Ronan, though.
I found Spotlight great aswell, I really liked how they dealt with the subject matter. Some people said that they were too nice about the whole child abuse thing, but I'm really glad that the director trusted me enough to be disgusted by the whole affair without visual aid. It was indeed very safely shot, though so I don't know if it can be considered Best Picture of the year.
The Big Short surprised me the most. I thought that I didn't want to see a film about the subject but they did it very well. I like the two protagonists even though what they do is not as nice as the movie tries to make it, but I imagine that it was really hard to find a "good guy" on this whole issue. The movie is also very funny, my favourite line of the year comes from that movie: Why is he confessing?! from Steve Carrell's character.
Room is probably my close favourite compared to the two above. I have nearly no complaints about the movie the only thing I remember disliking are two short parts in the script which is rather a personal problem than a problem with the script. You should go all watch this movie if you can.
Movie that totally should have been nominated: Carol, Anomalisa

Best Actor/Actress: I'm rooting for Fassbender and Ronan, altough I'm very fine with Larson. I'm pretty confident that Ronan continues to act amazingly and she can get a Oscar for a better movie.
Also Rooney Mara best "Supporting actress" even though she has the most screentime in Carol.

Best Foreign Film: My favourite is Mustang, but I haven't seen Son of Saul which is supposed to be very good.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: February 25, 2016, 01:33:01 pm »

I like the Oscars, I don't swear but it, but you mostly know what the Award entitles, so when you watch an "Oscar nominated/winning movie" you know what you are getting yourself into most of the time.

Now, from the Best Movie nominees, I saw Mad Max, Room, Spotlight and The Big Short, (all except Max in last 3 days) and will try to squeeze in a one or two more till sunday.

Now, Big Short actually disappointed me. The whole movie is so confusing and disjointed, and it doesn't really go anywhere. It's basically 3 stories that are not connected in any way except that all 3 of them deal with shorting the stocks. Narative is also all over the place, it is interjected by these wierd slidehows, by characters breaking 3rd wall, and this explanations of the whole shebang, CDOs, AAA properties, etc. And that is the worst part, I think they've tried to explain the whole deal to me like 5 times all together, and the whole time I was still struggling to get it, and by the end I both still didn't understnad most of it, and didn't care at all.
Steve Carrell is fucking great and that is about the only good thing I  can say. Bale getting the nomination and not him is an error for sure.

Spotlight is pretty good. My main "problem" (even tho it's not really a problem) is that is is just so un-kinematographic (it lacks things like character progression and flow that you usually expect of the movies) that if feels more like a documentary. Subject is very touchy and I don't think that being non-explicit was bad, I feel that showing the victims and showing the range of emotions that main characters (reporters) go through the movie has nailed how the viewer feels as well, at that was great. It had some really strong scenes, my favouirte ones are when A guy "leans" on Robby in a bar (near the end) and Robby is completely in disbelief, realzing how this whole thing escalated as much as it did and When he argues how they are as responsible as the lawyers, as nobody noticed, especially him who had the list years ago in his desk.. Also Ruffalo is surprisingly good.

The Room was a big surprise. I actually expected a it to be much more light and more of a standard "bestseller adaptation" (like Girl with Dragon Tattoo and the like), but it hit hard. It takes a while to realize what exactly is going on and the movie makes a good use of that time, also both Mom's and Jack's mental state after they get out is, I believe, done so believable, as well as the reaction of the people/family. It's a great movie, and a emotional rollercoaster for sure.  ;D

Now, Mad Max. I saw it 3-4 times for sure. I love the movie. The world that George Miller made is superb. Every small detail of it, he nails. The technologies, the lingo, the society, every single thing I was amazed by. I already spoke of the movie before, I am not going to. I am not sure that this can win it (But LOTR and Avatar did it), but I secretly hope so.  :P Spotlight or Room taking it, I don't mind either.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: February 25, 2016, 01:39:07 pm »

I really liked The Big Short.  I thought all the storytelling mechanisms worked really well.  I didn't mind the separate story lines; I found all the characters interesting. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: February 25, 2016, 01:39:51 pm »

Tom Hardy is excellent in everything.  I don't follow awards, but he should get something for Legend.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: February 25, 2016, 03:18:06 pm »

For the record, Avatar didn't win, it was the favorite but got beaten by The Hurt Locker.

LOTR did win, but it took three tries, I don't see MM:FR doing it, specifically because it didn't win any of the industry awards (as opposed to critics awards). It seems to be between Spotlight, The Big Short and The Revenant. The latter just came out here, not sure I'll be able to see it before Sunday, but between the other two I'm very much rooting for Spotlight.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 25, 2016, 03:21:45 pm »

I think the Revenant might win, but I didn't think it was amazing. Tom Hardy was better in it than Decaprio, and it felt very long.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: February 25, 2016, 03:35:02 pm »

For the record, Avatar didn't win, it was the favorite but got beaten by The Hurt Locker.

LOTR did win, but it took three tries, I don't see MM:FR doing it, specifically because it didn't win any of the industry awards (as opposed to critics awards). It seems to be between Spotlight, The Big Short and The Revenant. The latter just came out here, not sure I'll be able to see it before Sunday, but between the other two I'm very much rooting for Spotlight.

I don't reeeeeally think MM:FR can take it, I just love the movie too much to completely disregard that option.
Spotlight taking it I would support. It would be second one in a row to have Keaton starring (Reventant would be second one in row by same director). Interesting in both cases  :P.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 03:37:24 pm by Grujah »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 25, 2016, 06:18:23 pm »

Now, Big Short actually disappointed me. The whole movie is so confusing and disjointed, and it doesn't really go anywhere. It's basically 3 stories that are not connected in any way except that all 3 of them deal with shorting the stocks. Narative is also all over the place, it is interjected by these wierd slidehows, by characters breaking 3rd wall, and this explanations of the whole shebang, CDOs, AAA properties, etc. And that is the worst part, I think they've tried to explain the whole deal to me like 5 times all together, and the whole time I was still struggling to get it, and by the end I both still didn't understnad most of it, and didn't care at all.
Steve Carrell is fucking great and that is about the only good thing I  can say. Bale getting the nomination and not him is an error for sure.

I liked The Big Short, but instead of the smarmy cynical explanations from celebrities, I would recommend that anyone who is actually interested in what happened during the financial crisis and wants it explained by a movie should watch The Inside Job. It's a documentary, but it's very well done, covers a lot of the same ground as The Big Short, but without trying to wrap a Hollywood bow on the whole thing. To be honest I actually liked The Big Short even though I felt that most of the characters in the movie were at best amoral. I had trouble rooting for anyone in the movie except for Steve Carrell who I wish they'd focused on more. The rest of the characters were just smart guys who saw an opportunity to make some money, they weren't heroes. That said I admired that they were trying to make a movie about the subject even if it ended up feeling like a mess at the end.

I haven't seen all the nominees just Mad Max, Room and Big Short, but Mad Max and Room were both great I'd be happy if either of them won. Brie Larson should probably win for Best Actress. I didn't watch the Revenant because honestly I just don't like watching Leonardo Di Caprio. I find him completely unlikeable and haven't liked a movie he's been in since Inception (and I don't really credit that to his performance). I've seen so many movies he's been in and he always seems so humourless. I don't really get why people like his movies so much.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 25, 2016, 07:46:13 pm »

Kind of related, i recently read A Clockwork Orange, and it gave me the weird feeling that many things the movie left out were left out for the better. Although i admit i didn't originally understand all that happened (especially in the second part, where he's "cured"), so he extra clarity was good. Also, it's interesting how the book kind of remotes yourself from the ultra-violence by using nadsat (the fictional youth slang), while the movie does so by using classical music. Other than that, they were really close. A few things are made more acceptable in the movie, like raising the age of the girls he invites home and makes drunk, or a few scenes missing. The only thing i don't get about the movie is the use of the song "Singing in the Rain". While the book is timeless by simply inventing a time, the movie uses this specific song. Weirdly enough, the book also has something in common with a favourite of mine, "Crime and Punishment" - it has a much-too-positive last chapter that changes things around in a way i didn't like (artistically speaking). In Clockwork, it's Alex growing tired of his violent ways and growing up, which the movie (again for the better) leaves out. It's much more threatening this way. Still, i liked the book. It's just not that much new to learn from reading it.

Also, just watched "Soylent Green" for the first time, and was underwhelmed. Especially after hearing about what the book amounts to, it felt too mild.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.