Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 348221 times)

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #775 on: January 08, 2016, 11:14:52 am »

*obligatory rant about derailing the thread and being the most nauseating forum on the internet*

Now, back to movies: How did you like Brooklyn? I have seen it just now and while the plot was decent, the score and Saoirse Ronan were absolutely amazing. I expect an Oscar for the latter as best female leading role.

On another note, I didn't like the Lobster. I loved the premise, but I did expect to see a different kind of movie.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: January 08, 2016, 12:55:33 pm »

What's the Lobster? I have not heard anything about this. *one google search later*

What didn't you like about it? It looks super weird and has all sorts of directions it could be going in.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: January 08, 2016, 01:34:38 pm »

On another note, I didn't like the Lobster. I loved the premise, but I did expect to see a different kind of movie.

So you didn't like it because it didn't adhere to your expectations ?
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: January 08, 2016, 01:42:22 pm »

So you could just watch it again, and then like it, right?

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: January 08, 2016, 02:01:06 pm »

So you didn't like it because it didn't adhere to your expectations ?

I was unclear, that is not what I meant. I like it when a movie toys with my expactations or takes a different route than what I expected.

What I meant was that I loved the premise so much I was already prepared to love the movie. Unfortunately for me, it evolved into a genre I can't get anything out of. And yes, I've tried.

I honestly doubt it, the film had its genuinely funny moments and a few nicely edited scenes, but I'd rather watch another movie from the same director than watching this one again.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12862
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #780 on: January 10, 2016, 11:20:34 am »

I happened to stumble upon Where the Dead Go to Die on imdb, and I noted that while it had overwhelmingly bad reviews, those reviewers were mostly focused on how offended they were and the only people talking about the actual merits of the movie were the few people who gave it positive reviews. And it was horror and animation, and the people who liked it also liked Heart String Marionette (which, I realized during the credits, might have been partially because HSM's director had a voice acting role in it). So I just absolutely had to see it.

I'm not entirely sure what to think of it, but it was most interesting, and certainly not a bad movie.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 10, 2016, 11:39:19 am »
+1

Watched "My neighbor Totoro" recently. Given how famous it is, i expected something clever or touching, but it was just a straightforward children's movie. I was disappointed.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #782 on: January 10, 2016, 11:48:42 am »

Watched "My neighbor Totoro" recently. Given how famous it is, i expected something clever or touching, but it was just a straightforward children's movie. I was disappointed.

There's somewhat convincing speculah that it's metaphorically about the Sayama Incident.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 10, 2016, 11:58:58 am »
+2

I found it very touching. 

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 10, 2016, 03:00:46 pm »

You monster.

The Hateful Eight : if you like Tarantino, you will love it. If you're even a slightly conflicted about him, probably not.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #785 on: January 10, 2016, 07:35:12 pm »

You monster.

The Hateful Eight : if you like Tarantino, you will love it. If you're even a slightly conflicted about him, probably not.
I love Inglorious Basterds. I really enjoy Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Django Unchained. Was pleased with Jackie Brown and From Dusk til Dawn. Did not care for Deathproof or Kill Bill.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 11, 2016, 10:15:13 am »

Huh, Kill Bill is an unusual one not to like. Hateful Eight does have Kill Bill-like amounts of gore at certain points if that's what bothered you.

Mostly what I mean is that Tarantino's best scenes tend to be people sitting down and talking with some kind of underlying tension and threat of violence implied. The Hateful Eight is that for about three hours.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 11, 2016, 10:57:24 am »

Huh, Kill Bill is an unusual one not to like. Hateful Eight does have Kill Bill-like amounts of gore at certain points if that's what bothered you.

Mostly what I mean is that Tarantino's best scenes tend to be people sitting down and talking with some kind of underlying tension and threat of violence implied. The Hateful Eight is that for about three hours.

I didn't like Kill Bill either because I felt it didn't have those Tarantino moments of tension during long conversations. It was just silly action and lots of gore.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 11, 2016, 11:20:09 am »

Yeah, I'd say that Tarantino does a couple of scenes really well. He has conversation scenes that could be about mundane crap that grabs your attention (Reservoir Dogs). He also has action scenes that are homages to other genres (Kill Bill). And sometimes he'll combine them (Inglorious Basterds).

As much as I appreciate QT's handling of dialogue, I will say that I got pretty fucking sick of Deathproof. For the first time I wanted a QT conversation to just end and get to the next stage. And then the next stage was disappointing for me too. It probably would have been less disappointing if the gab wasn't cranked up to 17 (11 is as high as I'll go).

I'm looking forward to seeing the Hateful Eight. Sounds like it does what QT does well, and the fact that one of them is Samuel Jackson is additional icing.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 12, 2016, 07:50:33 pm »

So I saw The Revenant this weekend, highly recommend it.  If you haven't seen it, I suggest going into it without reading anything about it or really knowing how other people reacted to it.  Not for spoilerage reasons or anything, but just because I think it's something that should be experienced without having many preconceptions or expectations.

I also saw Mad Max: Fury Road last night.  I missed it in the theaters.  Ultimately I really enjoyed it.. not sure I'd put it up among "top movies", but definitely worth watching.  And Tom Hardy is always awesome. 

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: January 12, 2016, 10:51:05 pm »
+1

I want to see the Revenent. Instead I just saw Star Wars. I don't get the hype. It's just JJ Abrams' Star Trek movies with the title Star Wars, terrible dialogue, boring action and a plot that is basically just lots of coincidences. Very underwhelming.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #791 on: January 13, 2016, 01:13:53 am »

What you mean is:

JJ Abrams Star Trek movies were more Wars than Trek, so his Star Wars felt like a Star Wars movie.

You have seen Star Wars before, right?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: January 13, 2016, 09:37:25 am »

I still never get the "coincidence" argument for why a movie is bad.  I always wonder if people have the same criticism for a novel like Great Expectations.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 13, 2016, 09:40:50 am »

I still never get the "coincidence" argument for why a movie is bad.  I always wonder if people have the same criticism for a novel like Great Expectations.

If it wouldn't have anything else going on, then yes.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: January 13, 2016, 10:15:07 am »

I guess it's okay if coincidences are added for symmetry and structure, and it's done well. Such as when in A Clockwork Orange, Alex meets all the people he was cruel to before, and they pay him back. It's intentional - the repetition and reversal is celebrated, like the chorus of a musical piece you know after two people appeared, that now the third will appear. It's for art, for making a statement, not to drive the story.

In Great Expectations the coincidences are cheap, out-of-nowhere deus-ex-machinas to make sure good boy Pip gets rewarded in the end. It's so arbitrary and has so little to do with the rest of the story that i couldn't help feel i wasted too much of my time reading the book. And i like reading.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: January 13, 2016, 10:25:11 am »

Me too. A lot of people complained about it in Star Wars. But to me, movies in general do that, because interesting events pretty much by definition have a low chance of happening. What people seem to miss is that for every 1 event that happens in a movie, there's a million other possibilities that didn't happen, which didn't get movies made out of them. Because they weren't interesting.

It's kind of like saying "what are the odds that John McClain would just happen to be in the right building at the right time when terrorists came to attack the building?" Well they are very low... it's quite a coincidence that he was there. But it wouldn't be an interesting story if he weren't there.

The fact is that extremely unlikely events occur all the time. If I ask my computer for a random number between 1 and a million, and it gives me 447,423, well, there was only a 1 in a million chance that that would occur. But no matter what number it gives me, there was only a 1 in a million chance of it occurring.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10764
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: January 13, 2016, 10:28:40 am »

This happens to me. 1408 is a good example. Based on the previews, I was expecting a typical horror film. At the end, I was disappointed because it wasn't really scary. But I realized that it really was more along the lines of psychological thriller than horror. And I love psychological thrillers. So I watched it again at some point, and really enjoyed it.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: January 13, 2016, 11:31:56 am »
+1

I was talking about the "coincidence" thing just the other day. Movie in question was Fury.. like, yeah, so out of all 5 tanks, it's them that survive, how convenient?

Well, if it was another tank (Murder Inc or w/e) that survived the skirmish, we would be watching a movie about them and not about Fury, wouldn't we?
You can't really follow this 5 guys in a tank, have them die 30 minutes in, and than go over to these other 5 guys in this other tank that managed to survive.  ;D

And I actually saw a lot of movies since I last posted (also trying to get 100 movies in 2016, am at 7 atm), including the discussed H8ful 8, from which I expected a bit more (more intrigue, to be honest), but was a hit anyway. Also SW, Inside out but some older stuff too like Cool Hand Luke which was pretty fun.

Edit: did anybody see "Love Exposure" ? I am getting some good reviews but it's 4 and a half hours long adn I don't have that much time to spend on something I will regret halfway in.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 11:34:24 am by Grujah »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: January 13, 2016, 11:56:59 am »

I don't know Great Expectations.

A plot with too many coincidences is bad because it's not believable. Lack of believability means lack of immersion and, if it's too much, lack of me caring. Real life is not an alignment of 1/10000 odds that all come true. It also makes the plot predictable.

The fact is that extremely unlikely events occur all the time. If I ask my computer for a random number between 1 and a million, and it gives me 447,423, well, there was only a 1 in a million chance that that would occur. But no matter what number it gives me, there was only a 1 in a million chance of it occurring.

That's missing the point.

You can explain every event away by listing a number of possible outcomes that all have equal probability and saying 'all outcomes have been equally likely!'. For example, if you buy a lottery ticket, you could say that it's not particularly unlikely that you got everything right, because the set of numbers that were selected has been exactly as likely as any other set.

What matters for a judgement of 'likely' or 'unlikely' is how you grouped/would group your sets of probabilities before the event happens. If you buy a lottery ticket, you'll group them in 'loss' and 'win' and 'win' is a lot less likely, so if it happens, it's an unlikely coincidence, whereas 'loss' is really likely, and you don't really care how exactly the loss came to pass.

Similarly, in your number example, if you generate 447423, that's not an unlikely coincidence. If you had gone up to it saying 'I want it to generate the number 447423 and then it does it, that would be an unlikely coincidence. Similarly, if you draw 4 cards and they're all aces, that's an unlikely coincidence, because you perceive aces as something special. If you draw 4, 7, J, J in three different colors, that's not an unlikely coincidence, because you had just grouped it in with a ton of other outcomes as 'nothing special'.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #799 on: January 13, 2016, 12:00:52 pm »

A plot with too many coincidences is bad because it's not believable. Lack of believability means lack of immersion and, if it's too much, lack of me caring. Real life is not an alignment of 1/10000 odds that all come true. It also makes the plot predictable.

That's the entire point of fiction, though. If you want something to feel realistic, there's this "real life" thing, have you tried that? It's pretty boring in my experience though, so I can't really recommend it too much.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.