Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346801 times)

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #750 on: December 28, 2015, 09:13:16 am »

It might just be that its Kaufman and Sam Rockwell at the same time though.

Whhaaa? Why have I not seen this movie??

I dunno? I think it's really good. It's based on the autobiography of the guy who hosted The Gong Show, which people think is probably a work of fiction... probably.

Sam Rockwell hasn't done anything worth watching since Galaxy Quest.  Man I hate that guy.

Whoa, he is amazing in Moon. Have you not seen it? It's great.

I have not seen (or heard of) Moon.  Is it a US film?

Sam Rockwell is second only to Cary Elwes as the most overrated actor on the planet, in my opinion.  Both should never be allowed to make another movie ever again.

Unless it's Galaxy Quest 2.  Rockwell can do that.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: December 28, 2015, 01:43:57 pm »

Moon is absolutely amazing. (It's this one. US film 2009)

He was also pretty good in Confessions and The Way Way Back.

I haven't seen like every movie he's been in, but I don't see how he could be overrated as he's not really in that many movies or at least not big roles in many movies. Maybe it's just that when he does a good performance it's really good.

Also do people think Cary Elwes is great? I thought they just liked The Princess Bride.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 02:15:41 pm by Jorbles »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: December 28, 2015, 01:47:01 pm »

He was also awesome in 7 Psychopaths.  And Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: December 28, 2015, 05:46:06 pm »

I haven't seen like every movie he's been in, but I don't see how he could be overrated as he's not really in that many movies or at least not big roles in many movies. Maybe it's just that when he does a good performance it's really good.

Also do people think Cary Elwes is great? I thought they just liked The Princess Bride.

Moon sounds interesting.  Will check it out.

Can you like PB without liking Elwes?

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: December 28, 2015, 10:23:29 pm »

I dunno? I think it's really good. It's based on the autobiography of the guy who hosted The Gong Show, which people think is probably a work of fiction... probably.

Sam Rockwell hasn't done anything worth watching since Galaxy Quest.  Man I hate that guy.

Green Mile. Conviction. Matchstick Men. The Assassination of Jesse James. Hitchhikers's Guide.

I didn't know until now that he was in Moon. I wanted to see that already, now I want to more.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: December 28, 2015, 10:25:23 pm »

I've never heard people talk about Elwes as a great actor or amazing or a reason to go see a film. He's in plenty of good movies; but that says nothing about him as an actor.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: December 29, 2015, 09:41:21 am »
+1

I've never heard people talk about Elwes as a great actor or amazing or a reason to go see a film. He's in plenty of good movies; but that says nothing about him as an actor.

Unlike other Robin Hoods, he can speak with an English accent.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: December 29, 2015, 02:33:34 pm »

Green Mile. Conviction. Matchstick Men. The Assassination of Jesse James. Hitchhikers's Guide.

I didn't know until now that he was in Moon. I wanted to see that already, now I want to more.

So Stephen King schlockfest, don't know conviction, nick cage crap, haven't seen Jesse, terrible adaptation of a great book. 

Maybe all the ones I haven't see are awesome, but this argument isn't working for you on me.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: December 30, 2015, 06:21:24 am »

Watched The Martian yesterday, felt like some weird prequel to Interstellar, at least set in the same universe with Matt Damon alone on a planet. Well, more like a mix between Gravity and Interstellar. It was a fine movie, didn't get bored, what I found peculiar is why they had to cast Sean Bean as that NASA guy. As an upside, he didn't die, but it was such a simple role, they could've cast anyone, man, just get Ed Harris or something and leave Sean Bean for epic dying roles.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 02, 2016, 11:23:17 am »

So I just (finally) watched Trollhunter.  It's pretty awesome, definitely worth seeing.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 02, 2016, 11:47:42 am »

Recent movies I've seen that I thought were good. 

In theaters:
*The Big Short (very interesting, and entertaining)
*Legend (Tom Hardy is awesome)
*Steve Jobs (I mentioned it before; very entertaining even if you hate Apple (which I do))
*The Martian (talked about here)
*Irrational Man (altogether brilliant and hilarious)

I also saw Avengers: Age of Ultron, Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and The Man from U.N.C.L.E.  All were entertaining, though I don't know if they had a great impact on me.  I actually think my judgement on The Force Awakens will depend on how it ties into the following movies.

On TV/Netflix/etc.:
*Spirited Away (amazing)
*Princess Mononoke (also awesome)
*Totoro (probably not as impactful as Spirited Away, but good in its own right)
*The Drop (did I mention Tom Hardy is awesome?)
*Trollhunter (mentioned above)
*Wild at Heart (among a few David Lynch movies that I had not gotten aorund to seeing.  Caught it late at night on television (MGM network or something).  It's definitely something.  I have no idea what that thing is, but it's some thing.)
*Oldboy (amazing, mentioned above)
*Seven Psychopaths (hilarious)

Movies I missed/haven't seen yet that I want to see:
*The Revenant
*The Hateful Eight
*Mad Max: Fury Road
*Macbeth
*Mr. Holmes
*The End of the Tour

Maybe also Ex Machina and Self/less (Tarsem Singh, apparenlty)

Altogether, I think this was a rather weak year for movies.  I don't know what the best movie out this year would be... maybe Irrational Man?  Maybe Steve Jobs.

Edit: forgot some.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 12:49:15 pm by Witherweaver »

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 02, 2016, 12:01:08 pm »

Ugh, I hated Irrational Man so much. Joaquin Phoenix's character is supposed to be this big shot, and all we see is him explaining Kant 101 to a bunch of people ... like, I got that from my philosophy teacher in high school, it's really basic stuff. The point he raises against the categorical imperative is literally the first thing any teacher will say after explaining it, and we're supposed to think he's reinventing the wheel here. Makes Emma Stone's character look incredibly dumb, which I certainly don't think was intended.

Ex Machina is pretty great, you should indeed watch it.

I actually like Totoro the best of the three Miyazaki masterpieces, but they're all great.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 02, 2016, 12:47:35 pm »

Ugh, I hated Irrational Man so much. Joaquin Phoenix's character is supposed to be this big shot, and all we see is him explaining Kant 101 to a bunch of people ... like, I got that from my philosophy teacher in high school, it's really basic stuff. The point he raises against the categorical imperative is literally the first thing any teacher will say after explaining it, and we're supposed to think he's reinventing the wheel here. Makes Emma Stone's character look incredibly dumb, which I certainly don't think was intended.

I don't think that's really the point.  Like, The Big Bang Theory has post-doc level physicists talking about things high school physics students know as if they're novel.  House has nothing to do with medicine, physics in every sci-fi movie is at best implausible, etc.  This stuff is just the back-drop.  The more you know about a subject, the more of a distraction it is, but it's not what the show/movie is about.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: January 02, 2016, 12:48:40 pm »

Also, in the case of Irrational Man, all the characters were kind of fake posers, so this sort of thing seems reasonable.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: January 02, 2016, 01:21:14 pm »

Also, in Good Will Hunting, there is a part where the professor is looking over some of  Will's work and says, "I see you used Maclaurin here," to which Will responds something like, "Well, I don't know what you call it."  Well we don't have enough context to know what they're talking about, but Maclaurin here seems to be used as a bit of a name drop because everyone knows Maclaurin series from high-school Calculus.  That result is so basic that it wouldn't make sense for the professor to point out at the level they're doing, and Will certainly has to know the standard name, because there's no way that he's read as much as he has and doesn't know it.

There are a few other results attributed to Maclaurin, but still responding that he doesn't know the standard name for the it (implying that he came up with it on his own) doesn't make sense for any of these commonplace results. 

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: January 02, 2016, 01:45:21 pm »

Movies of the year so have been for me: Carol, End of the Tour, Mistress America and  A pigeon sat on a branch reflecting on existence.

Some movies I wasn't able to watch just yet that I expect to be just as good: Mustang, Komiko the treasure hunter, spotlight, Anomalisa, the lobster and Queen of Earth
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 02, 2016, 03:55:03 pm »

Also, in the case of Irrational Man, all the characters were kind of fake posers, so this sort of thing seems reasonable.

I agree they were posers, but I don't think that was Allen's intention at all. I think we were meant to find Phoenix's character deep and insightful, and would posit that the whole film kind of relies on that. Because again, if he's a poser, then Emma Stone's character is incredibly stupid. And who cares about what happens to them ? If it was funnier it could have worked, but bleh. I liked the music though.

Here is my top ten :

1. The Martian (Ridley Scott) => You guys know about this one
2. Victoria (Sebastian Schipper) => That german one-take film.
3. Umimachi Diary (Hirokazu Kore-eda) => Japanese family drame-dy. Very heartwarming.
4. Taxi (Jafar Panahi) => A film from that guy who's not allowed to make films. He's in a taxi riding aroudn Tehran, picking up people as it goes along and it's great.
5. La glace et le ciel (Luc Jacquet) => Documentary about the people who explored the Antarctica and discovered that Earth was warming up too quickly. Not too preachy, mostly focused on the tremendous accomplishment that is exploring Antarctica, with impressive archive footage
6. Ex Machina (Alex Garland) => You guys know about this one
7. Mustang (Denis Gamze Ergüven) => The Virgin Suicides in Turkey (I'm told, haven't watched the Virgin Suicides, only know the amazing Air soundtrack).
8. Mon roi (Maïwenn) => French film about a toxic/exhilarating relationship. Vincent Cassel is amazing in it.
9. L'hermine (Christian Vincent) => French courtroom drama, where the judge is the main character, and because this is a French movie, he also sleeps with one of the jurors (played by the Prime Minister in Borgen). Better than it sounds.
10. Vingt et une nuits avec Pattie (Arnaud & Jean-Marie Larrieu) => French dramedy in the middle of nowhere, hard to describe but very funny/unsettling/uplifting, with a great score.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 02, 2016, 04:21:54 pm »

Yes, but what music are you listening to? That's what the world really wants to know.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: January 02, 2016, 05:02:56 pm »

Yes, but what music are you listening to? That's what the world really wants to know.

All I hear is the voice deep in the back of my head telling me that I'm not good enough.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: January 02, 2016, 07:37:29 pm »

Self/less

That movie is pretty bad. The first 20 minutes are okay, and the rest is a huge letdown, selling the entire premise to deliver a perfectly generic action story. You can see every twist and the ending from a mile away. Also, the actor does absolutely not sell the idea of him being the same person as the old guy at the start

Although, the one thing that I find absolutely amazing about this movie is the title. It sounds great, can be interpreted in at least 3 different ways which all fit the movie, and thinking about it is all together more interesting than anything that actually happens when you watch it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: January 02, 2016, 07:54:52 pm »

Self/less

That movie is pretty bad. The first 20 minutes are okay, and the rest is a huge letdown, selling the entire premise to deliver a perfectly generic action story. You can see every twist and the ending from a mile away. Also, the actor does absolutely not sell the idea of him being the same person as the old guy at the start

Although, the one thing that I find absolutely amazing about this movie is the title. It sounds great, can be interpreted in at least 3 different ways which all fit the movie, and thinking about it is all together more interesting than anything that actually happens when you watch it.

The director (The Fall, The Cell, Immortals) if very much style driven, so this isn't so surprising. 

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: January 02, 2016, 08:13:39 pm »

All I hear is the voice deep in the back of my head telling me that I'm not good enough.
It can be hard to communicate clearly on the internet.

I went to the songs thread and scanned it for people who liked stuff I liked. You had some of those things, excellent. You also had Noah and the Whale, whoever they were. I tried them and liked them. That was a while ago though. Now I need another new band. Chop chop.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: January 02, 2016, 09:07:32 pm »

I just watched 12 Monkeys for the first time. Very Gilliam-esque future. Not as good as Brazil, but I thought the acting was really good and it was pretty entertaining.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 03, 2016, 02:17:32 am »
+1

It can be hard to communicate clearly on the internet.

I went to the songs thread and scanned it for people who liked stuff I liked. You had some of those things, excellent. You also had Noah and the Whale, whoever they were. I tried them and liked them. That was a while ago though. Now I need another new band. Chop chop.

Noah and the Whale was great in their first album.  Their subsequent ones I liked less.. apparently the lead singer/writer was dating a female member of the band (cello I think) and they broke up.  Their second and third albums were much more slow and depressing, and missed the sound she added.  (This story is from memory so I may not have all the facts correct.). I'm pretty sure the band broke up recently.

Belle and Sebastian's latest album (Girls in Peacetime Want to Dance) is quite good.  I also saw them live at Radio City when they toured it.  I also recently saw Stephin Merritt at City Winery performing with his celloist from Magnetic Fields, playing mostly Magnetic Fields songs with a few from other ventures.  He was great, and really funny in person.

Unfortunately, I haven't found much new music I really like lately.  I've been looking into The Smiths.  I still have a couple of their albums to pick up, but I liked their first one more than the later ones I tried.

For random interesting that you may not have heard of, look up Spacehog, album Resident Alien.  Another great album is Underachievers Please Try Harder by Camera Obscura.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: January 03, 2016, 08:26:42 am »

For random interesting that you may not have heard of, look up Spacehog, album Resident Alien.  Another great album is Underachievers Please Try Harder by Camera Obscura.

I'm pretty sure anyone my age and older, at least, has heard of Spacehog.  That must include DXV.

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.