Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346912 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #675 on: November 18, 2015, 11:22:14 pm »
+1

I could never pin point why certain action was exciting and other action wasn't. After starting studying film and finding this channel I now have a really hard time watching most American Hollywood movies. Not just action, but all genres.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: November 19, 2015, 05:22:55 am »

Yeah, Kingzog linked that a couple weeks ago in this thread. I think that's why eHalc was talking about that article here.

I wasn't talking about the article, Kuildeous was.  I re-linked the video.  I wasn't sure if it was linked here before; I think I actually watched it first on Tumblr much longer than a couple weeks ago.  It's a neat enough video to post twice though!

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: November 19, 2015, 11:50:50 am »
+3

Yeah, Kingzog linked that a couple weeks ago in this thread. I think that's why eHalc was talking about that article here.

I wasn't talking about the article, Kuildeous was.  I re-linked the video.  I wasn't sure if it was linked here before; I think I actually watched it first on Tumblr much longer than a couple weeks ago.  It's a neat enough video to post twice though!

Using two posts does make it seems stronger.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: November 30, 2015, 10:27:09 pm »

After quite a lot of pause, I finally saw a few ones.. Path of Glory, Southpaw, Gattaca, Dark City, Barton Fink..

.. and Gran Torino.

Damn, I cannot help but love Eastwood. It's Unforgiven all over again, tho in reverse :D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:28:59 pm by Grujah »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: December 01, 2015, 03:00:13 am »

Gattaca was interesting. I found it memorable, but it's been a while since I've seen it.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: December 01, 2015, 07:43:02 am »

Gattaca was interesting. I found it memorable, but it's been a while since I've seen it.

I have a soft spot for dystopian stories. Brazil is probably my favorite, but Gattaca was pretty good too. And it raised some important questions about genetic modification and class. It kind boiled down to a less absurd Brave New World.
A man has no signature

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: December 01, 2015, 08:22:06 am »

I have a soft spot for dystopian stories. Brazil is probably my favorite, but Gattaca was pretty good too. And it raised some important questions about genetic modification and class. It kind boiled down to a less absurd Brave New World.

Brazil is so, so awesome, just my kind of thing.
Gattaca was pretty good, the dystopian story was done great, what I didn't enjoy (without spoiling) was the "big reveal" as that particular character interaction wasn't really developed all that well so it was a bit underwhelming.

Speaking of dystopias, I find this thing which makes you wonder how close we are to one:
https://www.soylent.com/

:D

Edit: before-mentioned Dark City is another dystopian one, tho quite a bit weird.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 08:24:09 am by Grujah »

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: December 01, 2015, 09:16:26 am »

Dark City was awesome especially since it plays at being a dystopian society but is really a giant rat maze for humans. That reveal is awesome and would have been even better if the director wasn't forced to capitulate to Hollywood and give away the plot in the opening. I wonder how much more I would have enjoyed the movie if the opening voiceover was struck. Whenever I expose someone new to Dark City, I fast forward to the hotel scene and skip the spoiler voiceover. Make the audience as confused as the protagonist (a trick that also endeared me to Memento).
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: December 01, 2015, 09:34:51 am »

After quite a lot of pause, I finally saw a few ones.. Path of Glory, Southpaw, Gattaca, Dark City, Barton Fink..

.. and Gran Torino.

Damn, I cannot help but love Eastwood. It's Unforgiven all over again, tho in reverse :D

Gran Torino was awesome.  So was Dark City, and Gattaca.  I haven't seen the other ones, though I want to see Barton Fink particularly. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: December 01, 2015, 09:36:35 am »

Dark City was awesome especially since it plays at being a dystopian society but is really a giant rat maze for humans. That reveal is awesome and would have been even better if the director wasn't forced to capitulate to Hollywood and give away the plot in the opening. I wonder how much more I would have enjoyed the movie if the opening voiceover was struck. Whenever I expose someone new to Dark City, I fast forward to the hotel scene and skip the spoiler voiceover. Make the audience as confused as the protagonist (a trick that also endeared me to Memento).

I first saw Memento by walking into it while my college roommate was watching about halfway through.  So I watched it from the middle to the end.  Then I went back and watched it from the beginning.  So I actually saw it more in order than others.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: December 01, 2015, 09:53:28 am »

Huh, I just checked the intro on youtube, I actually watched verison without the voiceover on start.  ;D

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: December 01, 2015, 11:02:25 am »

Huh, I just checked the intro on youtube, I actually watched verison without the voiceover on start.  ;D

Bonus! There is a director's cut of the movie. Perhaps that is what you saw.

Well, after having seen the intro, do you feel that they gave away too much? I feel like they did.
A man has no signature

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: December 01, 2015, 11:17:21 am »

Bonus! There is a director's cut of the movie. Perhaps that is what you saw.

Well, after having seen the intro, do you feel that they gave away too much? I feel like they did.

They definitely did. They didn't give the "big reveal", but the big part of the movie is slowly trying to figure out what the hell is going on (similar to the main character, who also has no idea), and it gives away the most part.
The version that I've saw, open with a starry sky, pans down to city skyline and further down t oDr. Shreiber (?) looking at his watch and slowly walking away.. fade out, production logo, fade in, hotel scene. No voiceover, no additional minute of spoilers. Much better, I'd say. :)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: December 01, 2015, 01:18:12 pm »

I don't know if I agree necessarily. There's something to be said for knowledge when you're going into a movie. I don't always want to have to puzzle everything out as I'm going through things, which sometimes means watching the movie again and again or more likely just reading up on it after the fact. They might have given away a little bit too much in the Dark City intro monologue, but not way too much. If we'd gotten nothing I think it would have been too alienating, and they either would have had to put more of that info later in the movie (where it might have felt awkward) or just left it out entirely, and the movie already has enough ambiguity (or at least I recall it having a fair amount of deliberately confusing scenes, but it's been awhile since I saw it).

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: December 05, 2015, 05:14:22 am »
+1

One of the smaller tv stations here in germany has a format called "Schlefaz" ("Schlechteste Filme aller Zeiten"), which means "Worst movies ever". They show a movie so bad it's good again and passes right through to being bad again, and have two comedians banter about how horrible it is after the breaks. Last time i watched it they gave us Blackula, a blacksploitation movie about, you guessed it, a black Dracula. It was pretty bad. Yesterday they brought us "Hentai Kamen", a japanese movie about some kid who gets perverted super powers(?) when he puts a worn woman's panty over his face. It was a train wreck and made Blackula seem like a masterpiece, allthough i think that partly it's a parody and in fact the insanity got a genuine laugh or two out of me. Still it was one of those movies that become watchable only if your primary fun is mocking the movie, or doing a drinking game. In yesterday's Schlefaz' case, the game was "Drink when Hentai Kamen attacks somebody with his privates". I assume people who played that game were drunk later.

Thank you for reading. Please don't use this post as a reference for what you are giving for christmas this year.

Edited for typos.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 10:01:47 am by Asper »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: December 05, 2015, 10:09:33 am »

Saw Legend last night.  Highly recommend seeing it.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: December 06, 2015, 02:55:28 pm »

Just saw Tucker & Dale vs. Evil. Pretty funny movie!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: December 13, 2015, 11:35:29 pm »

I haven't seen the trailer for the Independence Day sequel yet, but I've seen gushing over it. I kind of wish they just rebooted it rather than make a sequel to such a crummy movie. Hell, the story is so generic now that you can give it a new name and no one would know it's a reboot, though the reboot would make more money.
A man has no signature

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: Skip Wooznum
  • he/him
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: December 13, 2015, 11:43:26 pm »

I haven't seen the trailer for the Independence Day sequel yet, but I've seen gushing over it. I kind of wish they just rebooted it rather than make a sequel to such a crummy movie. Hell, the story is so generic now that you can give it a new name and no one would know it's a reboot, though the reboot would make more money.
it wasn't thaaat bad a movie. And Goldblum is in the sequel too so there's that.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: December 14, 2015, 10:31:07 am »

it wasn't thaaat bad a movie. And Goldblum is in the sequel too so there's that.

Goldblum... finds a way.

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: December 14, 2015, 12:43:24 pm »

If by "it wasn't thaaat bad a movie" you mean it is the greatest movie ever made, then I agree.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: December 14, 2015, 03:03:04 pm »

If by "it wasn't thaaat bad a movie" you mean it is the greatest movie ever made, then I agree.
it was ok. There were too many parts when Goldblum wasn't on-screen, though admittedly less of those parts than movies that don't star the Goldblum at all. Like Se7en. (Se7en would have been greatly improved with the addition of some Goldblum.)

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: December 14, 2015, 03:39:23 pm »

it was ok. There were too many parts when Goldblum wasn't on-screen, though admittedly less of those parts than movies that don't star the Goldblum at all. Like Se7en. (Se7en would have been greatly improved with the addition of some Goldblum.)

They already made Se7en with Goldblum.  It was called Jurassic Park.

skip wooznum

• Golem
  • he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: December 14, 2015, 04:42:37 pm »

have you seen se7en?

ashersky

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: December 14, 2015, 04:47:46 pm »

have you seen se7en?

Both the original and the Goldblum.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.