Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 60  All

Author Topic: Movies: Any movie buffs?  (Read 346872 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: Movies: Any movie buffs?
« Reply #650 on: November 09, 2015, 01:17:49 pm »

Huh, this reminds me of the Shining (movie), where the boy's special ability doesn't do that much, either. It just calls for a guy who comes to help them and is immediately killed. But maybe that's an intentional "Bet you didn't expect that" effect a lá Psycho.

Having said that, i think The Shining is a pretty good movie.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: November 09, 2015, 01:22:18 pm »
+2

I finally watched Inside Out.  It is great, as expected.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: November 09, 2015, 01:23:10 pm »

I think we talked about Coen Brothers earlier in the thread, but I just finally saw The Hudsucker Proxy. Absolutely amazing; high up on my list of Coen Brothers movies.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: November 09, 2015, 01:23:45 pm »

I think we talked about Coen Brothers earlier in the thread, but I just finally saw The Hudsucker Proxy. Absolutely amazing; high up on my list of Coen Brothers movies.

Easily the best.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: November 09, 2015, 01:36:37 pm »

Huh, this reminds me of the Shining (movie), where the boy's special ability doesn't do that much, either. It just calls for a guy who comes to help them and is immediately killed. But maybe that's an intentional "Bet you didn't expect that" effect a lá Psycho.

Having said that, i think The Shining is a pretty good movie.

I think the idea was to downplay all the super natural stuff in The Shining. The book just makes everything caused by the supernatural. The movie played with what was really supernatural and what was reality. The boy's powers are used more to give an atmosphere to the hotel with the stuff he sees that clearly isn't there.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: November 09, 2015, 02:20:21 pm »

Easily the best.

While I have not seen it, I am somewhat doubtful that it is "easily" the best.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: November 09, 2015, 02:50:50 pm »

The Shining is kind of similar in that regard. The power does nothing to help Danny. In fact, it just serves to make him even more miserable. I viewed the shining as just another curse. It allowed him to revisit these horrible scenes. It's kind of like the Sixth Sense except that Danny was never given the opportunity to help the ghosts. These things just wanted to kill/terrify/madden. I suppose that is why I accept Danny's shining to the ghosts in Crimson Peak. The ghosts in the Shining were all part of this malignant force that worked to get Jack to murder his family. Crimson Peak's ghosts were just sad imprints that tried to get justice on their killers by pointing to clues—very much similar to the little girl in the Sixth Sense.

Ooh, Inside Out. It was a good movie. I was pleased to see so much of my psychology classes show up here. I'm no parent, but I bet this would be a good movie for parents and preteens to watch together so that the preteen won't feel alone when going through mood swings and maybe will confide in the parent? Sound reasonable?

I think Hudsucker Proxy is my favorite Coen. I've not seen them all, and it's hard to top Lebowski. But Hudsucker amuses me because of the absurd brush used to paint corporate America. It's not as absurd as Brazil, but it has plenty of moments that are laughable and cringeworthy. And hey, Bruce Campbell. Bonus. I think my favorite gag is the moment of silence they make everyone observe and then dock their pay of that minute they were forced to take.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 09, 2015, 02:54:56 pm »

Hm.. it's been a while since I read the book, but I believe Danny's Shining was pretty pivotal.  It ultimately gave him the strength to fight (or at least outlast) his father.  Also the metaphor for alcoholism and how it ruins a family is a lot heavier. 

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: November 09, 2015, 03:17:40 pm »

I read that Stephen king doesn't like the movie version, and even think jack Nicholson was badly cast for the role.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: November 09, 2015, 04:59:53 pm »

Hm.. it's been a while since I read the book, but I believe Danny's Shining was pretty pivotal.  It ultimately gave him the strength to fight (or at least outlast) his father.  Also the metaphor for alcoholism and how it ruins a family is a lot heavier. 

It's been a while for me too, but yes I believe that the shining was more important in the book. I want to say that it was Danny who foresaw the problem with the boiler, which allowed his father to buy enough time for Wendy, Danny, and you-know-who to escape.

Also, one may argue that the shining woke up Danny in time to avoid getting horribly stung by the wasps, but I may be stretching it there. But yeah, in the book, Danny's shining was closer to the Dead Zone.
A man has no signature

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: November 09, 2015, 05:02:18 pm »

I read that Stephen king doesn't like the movie version, and even think jack Nicholson was badly cast for the role.

Yeah.  There was a made-for-tv movie that he supported (and maybe wrote the screenplay for).  It had the guy from Wings in it.  It's generally regarded as far inferior. 

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: November 10, 2015, 12:15:39 am »

Yeah.  There was a made-for-tv movie that he supported (and maybe wrote the screenplay for).  It had the guy from Wings in it.  It's generally regarded as far inferior. 

Like many King books, the Shining has scenes that are difficult to translate to screen. Even Kubrick's vision is rather out there for a movie version.

I haven't seen that version yet, but I remember the topiary scene in the book freaking my shit.
A man has no signature

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: November 10, 2015, 12:21:45 am »

Like many King books, the Shining has scenes that are difficult to translate to screen. Even Kubrick's vision is rather out there for a movie version.

I haven't seen that version yet, but I remember the topiary scene in the book freaking my shit.

I know the topiary was only cut because of special effects reasons. They didn't want it looking terrible, and it was difficult to do, so they cut it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: November 10, 2015, 09:20:28 am »

Kubrick's  movie is pretty brilliant.  Read the IMDb FAQ.  There are a lot of subtle things, like whenever a supernatural presence is there, there is some indication, such as a chair moved implying that the "presence" is sitting in it.  Lots of things like that throughout the movie. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: November 11, 2015, 11:19:23 pm »

So I just watched Wild at Heart.  I don't even know what to say about it.  It's certainly an experience.  I guess it's more like Blue Velvet than Mulholland Drive/Lost Highway/Inland Empire/etc.

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: November 12, 2015, 04:05:08 am »

Definitely more style than substance. The story was really bland. The metadiscussion of romance shoehorned into a ghost story was amusing, but it didn't strike me as self-referential, as this movie had the opposite. There were ghosts shoehorned into a mystery story. Seriously, the ghosts did not contribute to the movie. They led the protagonist to some clues, but the script could have easily been written so that she finds the clues on her own. The ghosts did nothing to advance the plot, especially the ghost in the opening sequence. The end ghost had a way for her to say goodbye, but that was still unnecessary, especially considering the huge betrayal she experienced.

If I were the protagonist's mother, I feel like I would've found a better way to warn her than to
- scare the bejeezus out of her
- use only an obscure nickname of the place that she's never supposed to go, instead of you know, spelling it out in a little detail

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: November 13, 2015, 02:20:54 am »

Definitely more style than substance. The story was really bland. The metadiscussion of romance shoehorned into a ghost story was amusing, but it didn't strike me as self-referential, as this movie had the opposite. There were ghosts shoehorned into a mystery story. Seriously, the ghosts did not contribute to the movie. They led the protagonist to some clues, but the script could have easily been written so that she finds the clues on her own. The ghosts did nothing to advance the plot, especially the ghost in the opening sequence. The end ghost had a way for her to say goodbye, but that was still unnecessary, especially considering the huge betrayal she experienced.

If I were the protagonist's mother, I feel like I would've found a better way to warn her than to
- scare the bejeezus out of her
- use only an obscure nickname of the place that she's never supposed to go, instead of you know, spelling it out in a little detail

I could see ghosts simply being terrifying to behold, even if they mean no harm. That's a trope I can get behind. Death just really sucks.

But yeah, that warning does no good.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: November 18, 2015, 11:59:43 am »

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2008/nov/05/action-films-bad-editing

I had read a similar article about this subject. After having caught Winter Soldier on Encore last night, I am convinced that this would be included in the article if it wasn't 7 years old.

This is one of those things you can't unsee—much like kerning. I'm starting to notice rapid-fire action sequences. In the beginning of Winter Soldier, Black Widow and Captain America assault a ship filled with pirates. I counted five jumps within 2 seconds while Black Widow was kicking someone's ass. Other scenes didn't look much better.

Fortunately, this means that I can appreciate skillfully shot action scenes more. Though I felt the big fight in Oldboy was gratuitous and ponderous, it had a lot of style, and I can appreciate that. The Daredevil series had a couple of really great shots that stood out. One was the fight in the hallway that was all one continuous shot (like Oldboy). There was another great nonaction shot of a man sitting in a cab while the camera orbited him and created tension that way.

So yeah, now that I'm more aware of rapid-fire cuts, they're starting to annoy me. Now it's stuck with me, so I must pass it to others, like the Ring.
A man has no signature

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: November 18, 2015, 01:21:33 pm »

I honestly hope the acclaim that hallway fight scene in Daredevil received has some impact on Marvel movies. I can't think of many other action scenes in Marvel productions that people talk about much, but I hope they realize that their action scenes are lacking and start chasing good ones. It might be impossible to do with some of their current casting choices, but maybe they'll start thinking about it?

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: November 18, 2015, 01:40:07 pm »

I honestly hope the acclaim that hallway fight scene in Daredevil received has some impact on Marvel movies. I can't think of many other action scenes in Marvel productions that people talk about much, but I hope they realize that their action scenes are lacking and start chasing good ones. It might be impossible to do with some of their current casting choices, but maybe they'll start thinking about it?

Add me to the list of Daredevil-hallway-scene fans out there.  Great stuff.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 18, 2015, 02:12:46 pm »
+1

I just rewatched the Winter Soldier elevator fight, which is a really cool and innovative action scene, but it could have been so much better if it hadn't jump cut every half second.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: November 18, 2015, 04:57:02 pm »

http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2008/nov/05/action-films-bad-editing

I had read a similar article about this subject. After having caught Winter Soldier on Encore last night, I am convinced that this would be included in the article if it wasn't 7 years old.

This is one of those things you can't unsee—much like kerning. I'm starting to notice rapid-fire action sequences. In the beginning of Winter Soldier, Black Widow and Captain America assault a ship filled with pirates. I counted five jumps within 2 seconds while Black Widow was kicking someone's ass. Other scenes didn't look much better.

Fortunately, this means that I can appreciate skillfully shot action scenes more. Though I felt the big fight in Oldboy was gratuitous and ponderous, it had a lot of style, and I can appreciate that. The Daredevil series had a couple of really great shots that stood out. One was the fight in the hallway that was all one continuous shot (like Oldboy). There was another great nonaction shot of a man sitting in a cab while the camera orbited him and created tension that way.

So yeah, now that I'm more aware of rapid-fire cuts, they're starting to annoy me. Now it's stuck with me, so I must pass it to others, like the Ring.

Reminds me of this video, specifically the bit about the difference between American and Hong Kong (maybe specifiically Jackie Chan) film editing.

In Chan's films, they do a double cut for hits -- there's a wide shot of the hit happening, then a closer shot of it happening again, which breaks continuity, but it's cut in such a way that the viewer perceives it as one seamless, powerful blow.  In American editing, however, they jump cut from action to reaction and don't actually show the hits at all, making them feel a lot emptier.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: November 18, 2015, 05:09:09 pm »

Yeah, Kingzog linked that a couple weeks ago in this thread. I think that's why eHalc was talking about that article here.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: November 18, 2015, 06:53:34 pm »

I've shown a lot of people that video :P It definitely is something that is impossible to un-see. But it makes me love action movies that have good action even more. John Wick, and The Raid, even the Matrix movies, are great action films that show you what is happening. I feel that directors that put tons of cuts don't want to spend the time (or can't spend the time) to hire competent actors and stunt people.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: November 18, 2015, 07:01:41 pm »

Huh, I didn't see that video the first time. But then, I rarely watch videos linked in here. I'm usually reading these forums in a place where I can't watch videos or don't have time to stop and watch a video. Obviously I made an exception with this 9-minute video, but apparently I didn't the last time it was linked, so I'm glad it was linked this time.

I didn't realize the trick for using two cuts to make one blow look more powerful. I didn't realize that American cameras tend to move to make it look powerful. Very interesting stuff.
A man has no signature
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 60  All

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.